Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I wouldn't expect this game to be RPG in the same sense as something like Skyrim. It will have character progression and quests, for certain, but I wouldn't expect a 300 hour primary quest line or the like.

Also, from my own person perspective, I'd rather they devote some time to making public tools available, like a POI and world builder, even if they were at an added cost (I'd gladly pay another $25 for them, if done well). I'd rather they perfect what can be done with mods than make the main game perfect. Because in the grand scheme of things, if they did that, then this game would have a very bright and long future indeed.

Also, TFP could release entire hand crafted worlds as DLC if they chose. They could possibly introduce theme packs for POIs so you could have a more futuristic version of the game or a medieval version. With the right foundation the possibilities would be endless.

I wouldn't expect this game to be RPG in the same sense as something like Skyrim. It will have character progression and quests, for certain, but I wouldn't expect a 300 hour primary quest line or the like.

Also, from my own person perspective, I'd rather they devote some time to making public tools available, like a POI and world builder, even if they were at an added cost (I'd gladly pay another $25 for them, if done well). I'd rather they perfect what can be done with mods than make the main game perfect. Because in the grand scheme of things, if they did that, then this game would have a very bright and long future indeed.

Also, TFP could release entire hand crafted worlds as DLC if they chose. They could possibly introduce theme packs for POIs so you could have a more futuristic version of the game or a medieval version. With the right foundation the possibilities would be endless.

I'm not expecting something of the scope and scale of those Bethesda games from an indie developer of course, that would be unrealistic expectations. Just a basic main quest and some side quests with more interactions in the world would be fine with me. I mean, the Navezgane map is nowhere near as large as the one in Oblivion or Skyrim, in the first place.

Are you suggesting paid mods like Fallout 4? That doesn't seem to be working all too well for Bethesda haha.

The thing is people wanted a story mode, otherwise Telltale wouldn't have made so much money from it.

My comment about Pong was a cheap shot (for the humor), I know. Bringing up Telltale is nearly on the same level. It is a totally different genre.

With the same argument you could call for jump-and-run passages because Super Mario made so much money from it.

I'm not expecting something of the scope and scale of those Bethesda games from an indie developer of course, that would be unrealistic expectations. Just a basic main quest and some side quests with more interactions in the world would be fine with me.

Are you suggesting paid mods like Fallout 4? That doesn't seem to be working all too well for Bethesda haha.

Honestly? I doubt they'll be doing paid mods or paid DLC's, but I've been wrong before. :p It just doesn't seem like their style.

With the same argument you could call for jump-and-run passages because Super Mario made so much money from it.

My point is the story mode wouldn't have sold so well if people actually didn't care for a story in Minecraft. I actually thought there was a story mode in it at first. Both a story and creative mode, somewhat like in 7 Days. The lack of features and objectives is one of the many reasons why I never played it.

Honestly? I doubt they'll be doing paid mods or paid DLC's, but I've been wrong before. :p It just doesn't seem like their style.

We can only wish TFP are not as greedy as Bethesda, haha.

People liked story mode because they liked Minecraft and hoped it would add more to the game.

If there was a story mode in the first place then there wouldn't have been such a need to add more to it afterwards. Since the story mode sold so well, it would have been a selling point for the game orginally as well.

You do realize that story mode is a completely separate game made by a completely separate company right? When someone purchases Minecraft even today there is still no story mode.

Minecraft itself is wildly successful AND it has no story mode.

You don’t even have to own Minecraft to purchase and play Minecraft Story Mode. You really should drop the whole Minecraft Story Mode angle of this. It really doesn’t prove a thing about how people perceive Minecraft...

There was no need. No one, and I mean NO ONE, I know who plays mc, has had any desire for a story mode.

Apparently, Minecraft players don't need much to be content. All you do is mining to craft random stuff in a sandbox that actually looks like it's for kids. That's just not enough for me. I would have taken a story mode in the original game (as well as many other features) any day.

Apparently, Minecraft players don't need much to be content. All you do is mining to craft random stuff in a sandbox that actually looks like it's for kids. That's just not enough for me. I would have taken a story mode in the original game (as well as many other features) any day.

Stories are useless. They were invented before multiplayer was available and are thankfully dying off or being sent to other developers to waste time on.

You do realize that story mode is a completely separate game made by a completely separate company right? When someone purchases Minecraft even today there is still no story mode.

Minecraft itself is wildly successful AND it has no story mode.

You don’t even have to own Minecraft to purchase and play Minecraft Story Mode. You really should drop the whole Minecraft Story Mode angle of this. It really doesn’t prove a thing about how people perceive Minecraft...

Yep, sure do. Telltale went hey, the game lacks a story mode so let's make one. And all the people who didn't care for a story in MC bought the game.

Never said a game can't be successful without a story mode. All I said is no main quest in an RPG is lackluster.

Yep, completely separate game that came out afterwards, and the first episode is free like with every other Telltale game series. Anything else to point out I already know? As I already said, I thought there was a story mode in the game originally. The fact there is none and is a totally barebone game DOES affect how I view it hence why I never played it. Funny thing is, I never played the original game but considered trying Story Mode Episode 1.

Stories are useless. They were invented before multiplayer was available and are thankfully dying off or being sent to other developers to waste time on.

Alright, now that has got to be sarcasm, right?

Dude why are you even here? 7D2D has been a sandbox game this entire time. Go play The Walking Dead series if you have no interest in a sandbox game.

My kids played Minecraft for a long time and even my wife played it some for a while (she's not really into gaming except on her iPod). I gave up on it long before my kids did because I wanted more than just to do creative things and solve the same "quest" line over and over again.

That's where 7DTD comes in. It's like Minecraft except it doesn't give me the whole "World of Q*Bert" feeling. It looks good (enough, that is) and I can modify the hell out of it to suit my changing needs and whims. This forum is a great place to get an idea of what to change and why and only a few of you are total dweebs (you know who you are!).

:p

Yep, sure do. Telltale went hey, the game lacks a story mode so let's make one. And all the people who didn't care for a story in MC bought the game.

Never said a game can't be successful without a story mode. All I said is no main quest in an RPG is lackluster.

Yep, completely separate game that came out afterwards, and the first episode is free like with every other Telltale game series. Anything else to point out I already know? As I already said, I thought there was a story mode in the game originally. The fact there is none and is a totally barebone game DOES affect how I view it hence why I never played it. Funny thing is, I never played the original game but considered trying Story Mode Episode 1.

Alright, now that has got to be sarcasm, right?

Go compare sales of the Mojang storyless version and the Telltale story versuion

Read much? :p

Some stories are useless, I'll give you that. And besides, not everyone wants to do multiplayer. Some people like to get lost in a story as it unfolds while actively participating in the plot, so to speak. Sure, many games give you a storyline to follow that you can't possibly mess up but that doesn't mean all stories are useless or pointless.

No sarcasm. I absolutely hate other people's ideas of a story and I,absolutely love sandbox. I wish I knew this when Minecraft was coming out, so I could have had a few more years of enjoyment from gaming.

Before 7days I was strictly fps and rts. Rpg bored the ever loving crap out of me, and that includes my all time favorite game of all time, neverwinter nights, where I spent a billion times more time building and creating than playing.

- - - Updated - - -

Read much? :p

Some stories are useless, I'll give you that. And besides, not everyone wants to do multiplayer. Some people like to get lost in a story as it unfolds while actively participating in the plot, so to speak. Sure, many games give you a storyline to follow that you can't possibly mess up but that doesn't mean all stories are useless or pointless.

Yeh. Not for me. That's what books are for.

My point is the story mode wouldn't have sold so well if people actually didn't care for a story in Minecraft.

Well different people care about different things. There are PvP-advocates on the forum who will tell you that PvP mode is actually the most important feature and needs some attention, just read ForWar01's posts a few pages back. There is no reason (except for personal preference) to single out story as the most central feature in such a genre-mix like 7d2d. In fact for all of alpha the game demonstrated that story is optional for this game.

Sadly I might say, as I like my stories in games (I play RPGs a lot and my favourite games of the "classical" area are Planescape Torment and Arcanum, the ones with story in bold capitals).

Archived