Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

That's the most encouraging thing I've heard in some time. I'm hopefully preaching to the choir (or the architect of the church as the case may be), but handcrafted variation can't compete with procedural variation for creating the thousands of hours worth of non-repetitive content that makes this game stand out.

Very small tidbit that will probably be of interest to modders:

<placeholder name="lootYardHelper">

can now also spawn an air block so there's no guarantee that the loot container X in prefab Y is always there. ;)

Random loot, yes, but not necessarily always in the same place...

Or maybe you have a door that's sometimes there or a door that's sometimes wood and sometimes metal or... I'm sure you'll find uses. =P

Very small tidbit that will probably be of interest to modders:

<placeholder name="lootYardHelper">

can now also spawn an air block so there's no guarantee that the loot container X in prefab Y is always there. ;)

Random loot, yes, but not necessarily always in the same place...

Or maybe you have a door that's sometimes there or a door that's sometimes wood and sometimes metal or... I'm sure you'll find uses. =P

Very small maybe, but the potential is tremendous if all PoIs are populated with this in mind. I've been talking about this all year, and you've just made my day. :high5:

Hehe, don't I know it.

Prefab builders will LOVE that.

You could place a "clutter appliance" like a juicer or toaster and it might be some random thing... or nothing.

You could fill all kitchen counter spots with this random block and get a "different kitchen" every time.

And that's only the start.

Like the bread said, a trap that's always there is not very dangerous. You only need to pay attention the first time.

A trap that may show up in every 10th prefab of that kind... when you already "know" that this room is safe?

We'll be having sooooo much fun with this "nothing". =P

It's getting hard to keep track of all the new stuff but we're getting some amazing framework changes in to support diversity and random generation in so many spots.

And none of that is very good for showing off in a video so *shrug*.

Hehe, don't I know it.

You could place a "clutter appliance" like a juicer or toaster and it might be some random thing... or nothing.

You could fill all kitchen counter spots with this random block and get a "different kitchen" every time.

Like the bread said, a trap that's always there is not very dangerous. You only need to pay attention the first time.

A trap that may show up in every 10th prefab of that kind... when you already "know" that this room is safe?

It's getting hard to keep track of all the new stuff but we're getting some amazing framework changes in to support diversity and random generation in so many spots.

That is awesome! A complete random, dangerous and interesting place that is never the same. I guess I'll need to do more clean sweeps of areas than just cherry pick the good poi's! :)

THAT extended the game by 10 more years for me!

back in a video for A16 I believe it was, there was mention that if I made a wood frame (or any frame base) I could right-click or hold "r" key or something and choose the desired shape from a picture menu (kind of like how painting is now). Is this going to become a "thing" or did that idea get dropped?

back in a video for A16 I believe it was, there was mention that if I made a wood frame (or any frame base) I could right-click or hold "r" key or something and choose the desired shape from a picture menu (kind of like how painting is now). Is this going to become a "thing" or did that idea get dropped?

It’s not dropped. Madmole is very much for the feature and has personally put work into it even. It just depends on time and resources. I think we will definitely see it but it could just as easily be pushed to the sequel as make it into this game. Hopefully it will make it into this game.

It’s not dropped. Madmole is very much for the feature and has personally put work into it even. It just depends on time and resources. I think we will definitely see it but it could just as easily be pushed to the sequel as make it into this game. Hopefully it will make it into this game.

That feature would clean up inventory and recipe clutter a lot while building stuff.

Each has their own qualities. But imho unreal kills unity. Altho I do believe and to my understanding you can't do voxel on unreal engine or have fully destructible worlds and this is where unity exceeds.

So each has their own exceeding qualities and their own downfalls to. Someone whom has more knowledge maybe able to correct me or add to it

Thanks

Sequel? For that? It already worked in his demo... That'll be another prefab killer, please find out more. =)

That feature would clean up inventory and recipe clutter a lot!

I think it would only clean up the recipe list clutter. Once you select the shape and make it you then have that block in your inventory. If you make 20 different shapes from one wood frame block recipe it makes for easier crafting for sure but then you've got those 20 slots still filling your backpack. In this sense it probably won't affect block id's too much.

Now if there was only one frame that could be crafted and when you placed that frame into the world you chose the shape at the time of placing then inventory would be greatly benefited. However, that would really wreck immersion as it would almost be spell-like in placing a crafted cubical frame but then changing it at the moment of placement to a half cylindrical shape.

Block IDs could be cleaned up if we placed wooden frames always and then when upgrading them to a solid block choosing the shape at that moment-- but that would be even worse thematically....

So I'm betting the shape selector tool will make it in and it will help us greatly by reducing the recipe lists but we will still have the same old inventory issues. On the plus side all the prefab makers will probably be thankful if adding the tool doesn't cause changes to all the block IDs...

Sequel? For that? It already worked in his demo... That'll be another prefab killer, please find out more. =)

That demo was in his developer editor. It has never been integrated into the actual game. As I said, depending on how it's done it might have zero effect on prefabs. All it will do is simplify the recipe lists. You will still get each block and I'm not sure why their IDs would change if you selected them from a table of shapes rather than a list of names.

Wait a second, so we are getting place able models for items now? To be found out in a Poi? Or was that just some kind of example?

I think it would only clean up the recipe list clutter. Once you select the shape and make it you then have that block in your inventory. If you make 20 different shapes from one wood frame block recipe it makes for easier crafting for sure but then you've got those 20 slots still filling your backpack. In this sense it probably won't affect block id's too much.

Now if there was only one frame that could be crafted and when you placed that frame into the world you chose the shape at the time of placing then inventory would be greatly benefited. However, that would really wreck immersion as it would almost be spell-like in placing a crafted cubical frame but then changing it at the moment of placement to a half cylindrical shape.

Block IDs could be cleaned up if we placed wooden frames always and then when upgrading them to a solid block choosing the shape at that moment-- but that would be even worse thematically....

So I'm betting the shape selector tool will make it in and it will help us greatly by reducing the recipe lists but we will still have the same old inventory issues. On the plus side all the prefab makers will probably be thankful if adding the tool doesn't cause changes to all the block IDs...

I thought it would only take onse slot (wood frame) and while selected on the toolbelt you could hold “R” to select the shape. Icon would change and now you place this shape until you change it again.

Well wasnt that spose to clear/free up block ids so we weren't left with such a stupid low amount of free blocks. Because mm had mentioned he was gonna work something out to sort out the ridiculously low block id count.

They definately need to sort the block ids. Because 2047 isn't enough. And there are still alot of block shapes missing, needing to be added etc to. So where does that solve the block of problems.

Maybe if the block ids had 2 xmls. 1 for actual blocks like the ramps. Wedges. Blocks. Glass etc and the other for the nitty gritty stuff like trees. Rocks etc all the other clutter.

Or just increase the block id limit to like 10 000 lol or what ever. Which would give plenty of ids for all that be needed by the pumps to add the extra block stuff as well as for modders.

Also if the block selector doesn't fix the block id problem then the block selector tool would just be a waste and wouldn't solve anything but rather hinder and slow game play/prefab building.

That demo was in his developer editor. It has never been integrated into the actual game. As I said, depending on how it's done it might have zero effect on prefabs. All it will do is simplify the recipe lists. You will still get each block and I'm not sure why their IDs would change if you selected them from a table of shapes rather than a list of names.

Hm, you're 100% on that? I thought it would be one master block, with a meta tag signifying which rotation; kind of like how a door is a block, but has a meta tag deciding whether or not it's locked.

Hehe, don't I know it.

This was on my wishlist for 7days the creme de la creme for rwg after the big overhaul on the towns was 'RG buildings' this is at least it seems on the right track i know a RG building could/would be difficult but you are making promising in roads to that dream.

Hm, you're 100% on that? I thought it would be one master block, with a meta tag signifying which rotation; kind of like how a door is a block, but has a meta tag deciding whether or not it's locked.

No I'm not. And why not? Because there's been no progress on it since he showed the concept of it in his editor--not even anything he's shown behind closed doors. I'm probably wrong about how it will work and you have a much better grasp on how blocks work than I do. I just can't see it being immersive if you choose the shape when you place it instead of when you craft it. To me, that seems worse than changing a metal reinforced wood block into a concrete block which YOU have always been critical of.

Can a meta tag be used to decide if a block looks one way vs another way? Lets say I just swallow the bile in my throat and agree to just craft a "master frame" (whatever that's supposed to look like) and then when I go to place one I call out loudly, "Form of....wedge!" and then when I place another I proclaim, "Form of....pillar!" so that I transform the master frame into those two different shapes on the ground in front of me. Well now aren't they distinct blocks that will need the same old block ids they had before? And wouldn't they still be frames that would need to be upgraded to wood blocks of the same type which would be another 2 block ids?

I guess I'm not seeing the savings in block ids but if meta tags can make one block be all sorts of different shapes then cool.

I just don't want to be one of the Wonder Twins when I'm building....

Archived