Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

There are many reasons why someone may wish to avoid horde night, both legitimate and illegitimate. Surviving a horde night should be rewarded but locking vast tracts of gameplay away from those with a legitimate reason to skip horde night is just cruel.

Due to work commitments I can only play a few hours a week. Unfortunately, due to my shift pattern I'm unable to hang around and do any horde nights. Should I then be denied character progression?

....if you can only play a few hours a week you'll never get enough progression to do anything anyway on a mp server. Everyone will have already made everything for you.

If you are playing sp, then you would get that progression when you hit those achievements.

I think you need 24-30 game hours to hit level 30... with the current system in place and your available play hours, it would take you 8-10 weeks to unlock a workbench. Assuming a mp server is running 24/7 with people on only half the time, you would unlock it at what, day 400?

Imho you are just picking nits for the sake of complaining.

<snipped for space>

Not necessarily. I have a Skyrim character that I've been dipping in and out of for several months now. My last Space Engineers game lasted about 18 months. I get online with friends for a couple of hours every month. I probably get around 3-5 hours a week to lose myself in a game. I don't get to play often and that precise scenario would likely apply to me if it was implemented.

Some of us have other things to do in real life, it's a game not a job.

To put it into perspective, in a SP game it takes me about a month to get to my second horde night. I know from personal experience the difficulties of running around as a n00b when you have a horde built for the veterans around you.

I may be illegitimate? (momma swears I ain't but she lieees!) I mean for my pervious day 14 horde. They broke my base, I fell n brokes me leg, but hobbled into the water right behind the base and escaped. Then floated above the zombies and killed 'em till morning....

<sry, watched The Water Boy yesterday :D :D>

I may be illegitimate? (momma swears I ain't but she lieees!) I mean for my pervious day 14 horde. They broke my base, I fell n brokes me leg, but hobbled into the water right behind the base and escaped. Then floated above the zombies and killed 'em till morning....

<sry, watched The Water Boy yesterday :D :D>

If there are 200 Zombies in a town.

One player get XP for 200 Zombies

and without XP Bonus in a team of 4 everyone would get only 1/4 that.

Maybe you are right that groups have a easyer gameplay and so they dont deserve 100% of that XP. But leveling would be a joke in a team of 8 men without such a bonus

But zombies are a renewable resource. Don't tell me you can clean a reasonably big map completely with 4 or 8 people from one end to the other before zombies have respawned behind you? Wasn't it something like 3 in-game days until the zombies in a poi respawn?

Does this mean that youll actually get better at mining by mining again?

Yes, if you learn mining perks. :cocksure:

so, how are the tests going so far? new build early this week? :)

I'm guessing new build as early in the week as possible in case there are any really nasty surprises, a hotfix if needed, and a break till the first week in jan, looking over player response to the latest iteration, and changes no earlier than the 2nd week in jan.

I don't think we'll see a stable release announced till they are happy with rwg issues and they get the skyscrapers back in, since they are touting them.

My wife just ran into the burning weapon mod bug. If you have that mod in a tool or weapon, all your tools and weapons have that fire glow effect.

It looks like the bike is an extended tool that attaches to your hand... her whole bike looked like it was emitting flames, and she was pedalling around saying she was Ghost Rider! Lol!

As far as my comments on horde night survival recipe unlocks, my intent we less for the recipes, but more for rewards for well played horde nights. We have punishment for dying with the near death debuff, but games should also have rewards for good gameplay.

That's hard to judge in a game like this, but the zombie loot drops are a step on the right direction, imho.

That's why we see so many games with loot rewards of some kind after matches or accomplishments.. they give players a nice satisfaction like a nod from the developers to their skill surmounting challenges.

Ok,

so what happened to the bus's? Can't loot them anymore, can't wrench them down for parts, They are there because you cannot walk through them but you cannot even hit them.

So are they gonna only be around for looks?

Hope they get fixed thanks.

The static block trend is driving me nuts. Why bother having a voxel world at all...

I had to mod back in lights so those static pos' stopped being useless.

I just played another couple of hours on the new build, this time focusing on mining.

I do love the fact that Miner 69er affects both normal and power attacks now, and don't want to see that rolled back.

Unfortunately, it seems like power attacks with mining tools are now pretty much useless. Right now, it's much quicker to just never do power attacks. I was able to mine three blocks with the normal attacks without having to recharge stamina, but couldn't even get through a single block with power attacks. (Mining stone with an iron pickaxe.)

For mining tool power attacks at least, it seems like either stamina usage should be significantly lessened, or the block damage should be significantly increased.

Note, I don't have a problem with the power attacks for melee weapons, those seem about right to me.

I just played another couple of hours on the new build, this time focusing on mining.

I do love the fact that Miner 69er affects both normal and power attacks now, and don't want to see that rolled back.

Unfortunately, it seems like power attacks with mining tools are now pretty much useless. Right now, it's much quicker to just never do power attacks. I was able to mine three blocks with the normal attacks without having to recharge stamina, but couldn't even get through a single block with power attacks. (Mining stone with an iron pickaxe.)

For mining tool power attacks at least, it seems like either stamina usage should be significantly lessened, or the block damage should be significantly increased.

Note, I don't have a problem with the power attacks for melee weapons, those seem about right to me.

You are right about that mining with powerattacks is useless right now but the problem is that the axe for example is a mining tool and also an incredible good weapon. On last patch you could just spam powers with it in combat and now you only have 2 or 3 hits before you get some perks. I also noticed that the aoe knockdown of the perk heavy metal no longer works for the axe, its sledge exclusive now witch uses about 3/4 stamina with one powerattack. I think they went a little over the top there.

Another thing i noticed is how broken armor is right now. I tested the speed by setting a startpoint, run for 5 ingame minutes and mark the end point with different armor (accidently all with perfect fitting mod)

Without armor you get nearly twice as far as with a full heavy armor set witch is fine i think but i would still like a way (perk, more mods..) to get a bit faster again. With a full set of light armor you are only slightly faster, about 3-4 blocks further then with heavy.

With abit more testing i also found out that most of the slow comes from the chestpiece. So right now to get an optimal armor/movementspeed ratio the best thing is wearing a full set of heavy armor without the chestpiece. That gives you all the armor rating from 4 heavy items and only slows you a bit while as soon as you wear the chestpiece you feel like rooted.

The static block trend is driving me nuts. Why bother having a voxel world at all...

I had to mod back in lights so those static pos' stopped being useless.

Those are stack as they don't want you to pick dungeon light on mp so other player lost their way.

But I love your light, except I don't like that you make Lantern 2 part, you should make it on recipe with glass. I know you can do that, but that means so many more recipe and I would rather love to see those many recipe for something more useful or bigger.

Redesign of what was intended as a 'cheap starter horde defense tower' worked quite well.

Can't see it in the pics but there's barbwire laying flat on the 'staircase' blocks without iron spikes.

Which at first looked like I'd be right back to where they wouldn't want to path up the staircase. But they stuck with it and eventually broke the lowermost barbwire. Then they all happily headed on up to the East Side :)

Had one Cop who tried to spoil the party by destroying a couple of the scrap-iron half blocks that completed the path to me inside the birdcage. As soon as he did everybody made a beeline for the base of the birdcage tower & started to work on bringing it down. Once I placed a wood frame back to complete the path, they headed back up the stairs.

Stuck to using my non-modded, un-perked bow, except for the Cop, he got Dirty Harry'd.

A17-0-2018-12-16-22-51-29.jpg

They broke through all the spikes and I got to tickle a couple w machete, then horde was over :(

Gamestage 90 at start, 91 at end, only managed 29 kills out of the 3 waves of 35 per. (Nomad, 90m days)

A17-0-2018-12-16-23-40-10.jpg

Basically no damage beyond destroyed Spikes/Barbwire. Though the one block on tower they targetted briefly is down to ~1700 of 5000 (not shown).

A17-0-2018-12-16-23-41-45.jpg

If building it again I wouldn't use so much concrete. And I wouldn't put barbwire on that very first step, just in case. I would still upgrade the first 3-4 levels of the birdcage tower to reinforced concrete. Since if you pull up the frames due to imminent breach of birdcage, they'll start on the tower.

Wondering what folks think of this. Is this exploiting the Ai too much? I'm on the fence about it myself. What I was trying to mimic was a hilltop fort, with narrow access through a killing field. Like a medieval gate.

Anyway, comments, critiques, welcome :)

Is this exploiting the Ai too much?

Different zombie behaviors can't come soon enough :smile-new:

Think about a night horde like this (just few mad ideas):

- Some different ferals with actual a17 AI or even smarter, but they doesn't destroy blocks at all

- Others more stupid that doesn't know how to jump obstacles at all, and keep destroying pillars but they do less damage to blocks

- Some even more stupid that are like a16 zombies taking out running in circles, not paying attention to weak blocks and doing more damage

- Feral dogs and wolves that know how to jump 1 or 2 blocks FORDWARD when they see a hole

- Do you like to pass an horde just throwing molotovs? fit in scorched zombies, 95% fire resistance

- Fat zombies takes less damage from blade traps and also these traps takes more damage from them

The idea is not making it impossible but more interesting and avoid exploits. Maybe an option to take out some of these types of zombies if you want.

It's the lack of hills and mountains isn't it?

Reminds you of the Netherlands.

Hehe, got a point there man.

But I've seen some hills and mountains. Granted, not so many as in A16, but they're still there. There could be more, but it's not so bad.

I remember riding on my bike (you know.. Dutch) to the top of a mountain yesterday in RWG and enjoying the vista.

Archived