Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Nights are a bit boring, though. Every night when I've tried to do something, the Z's hear me and kill me, so now I'm doing very little until I build up a better base. In the meantime, not sure what I would suggest to fill in the time, however I feel something more needs doing at nights. Maybe when food spoilage goes in it will require more sorting out. Oh, but it's actually sorting things out that Z's will hear, too. So we really are too limited in what we can do that doesn't make noise.

I'd set Zombie Night Speed to Run. That is what I play on and I can stealth around at night with no problem. Do not use a light source or be near one. Stay in stealth. Keep the stealth meter below 20. Zombies have to be pretty close to see you then and won't hear you moving or run moving. Use the stealth run movement to scoot away if one sees or hears you. Use your bow and then relocate or wait for them and power attack to head, then relocate.

So then I'm curious (and this is a serious question - I have heard EXACTLY this from other gaming companies in the past), is there any video card that currently exists that is capable of playing this game on maximum at say 1080 or 1440 (never mind 4k)? Or, are the settings SO resource intensive, that the game literally requires hardware that isn't on the market yet? I've run into that before, as I mentioned, and it was a good 3 years before the hardware caught up (and by that time better software existed and it looked like crap anyways :p )

If you have a fast CPU, you can easily set the video settings to high and get good FPS at 1080p on a GTX 1080ti or RTX 2070+.

With your settings, which are very low, I'd expect it to run great on a GTX 1060. It would look bad, but FPS should be >30 FPS most of the time and >60 FPS outdoors.

There is also no reason at all for him to have his textures on 'half' - it's not doing much of anything performance wise on his 1060 which has plenty of memory.

A tip for some people who hate scaling lower resolution on native flat panels is to use no scaling on your driver. For example, if your GPU struggles to maintain a playable frame rate at 1080p - you could make a custom resolution of let's say something like 1728x972 - and then set the driver to no scaling - you'll get some small black bars around the screen - but the image within will be nice and crisp. You'll be hard pressed to tell the difference between that and actual 1080p except for the black bars. You'll be saving 400,000 pixels in that example which is a pretty decent boost.

If you are REALLY struggling and you have an older monitor with a lower native res - your game would probably look better playing on that monitor than trying to upscale and making it blurry. If you had a 1360x768 monitor laying around playing at that res natively on the panel would look better for most people than even taking a 1600x900 and upscaling it on a native 1080p panel. The blurriness and aliasing is just yuck when you do that.

From what I understand this game is still in an experimental build, correct?

Here are some of my questions/concerns:

1. Have we confirmed there is an easy way to "mod out" digging Zombies?

2. Player nerfed. As much as I like the new perks and skills the leveling system seems drawn out and tedious.

3. Zombies buffed. I'm glad that zombies can finally jump over obstacles they always should have been able to however I am upset with the unrealistic Super Saiyan jumping. I'm happy with the new path finding AI but I find myself wondering if the zombies were structural geniuses in a past lifetime and can identify, target, and destroy a necessary fulcrum.

It is this reason and others I have heard many others swearing off this alpha (experimental or not). I've been playing since Alpha 15 and I mostly play on console (I play on PC sometimes) but I'm glad I don't have to suffer through experimental builds (just crappy bugs).

1. Not yet.

1-3. I like it and many other people like it. You can't please everyone. If we added a mole zombie that tunneled through the ground, a bunch of people would hate it and a bunch of people would love it. Our goal is to make a game we like and that hopefully more people like than hate.

LOL. No one is forced to play experimental builds, except our testers and they can quit if they want. ;) I would not play any game that you have to suffer through. Experimental or not.

Why did you guys remove a lot of the textures for the paint brush. Could a just added to the textures that were already there. Now my big beautiful hotel has to look like a century old dilapidated uncared for building lol when I only just built it and didn't realise the zombie apocalypse happened lol

With your settings, which are very low, I'd expect it to run great on a GTX 1060. It would look bad, but FPS should be >30 FPS most of the time and >60 FPS outdoors.

Yeah. Usually do get that. Expect 100+ with those settings. The issue is with zombies and multiple around can drop to like 20-30...

Wow, someone demonstrates how the new zombie path finding is so predictable that can be exploited in such a silly way. I hope this can be changed.

Pretty sure faatal has fixed this

-----

@lesipher , yeah, kind of what I'm thinking. Also considering adding a U-turn, we'll see :)

Did some testing on the remains adding half blocks on the sides; they mostly followed, in a nice serpentine, but one or two got stuck. I sent sets of 5ea Arelene, then Moes', Cheerleader, Big Momma and finally Boes'. Wasn't shooting as they worked their way up but had to shoot the last Boe. So it _might_ have been enough spikes for the low GS I was at.

Wow, someone demonstrates how the new zombie path finding is so predictable that can be exploited in such a silly way. I hope this can be changed.

that is awesome, lol. --edit--B208 though, so maybe fixed?--/edit--

maybe make it to where things that small can just be walked over? probably something faatal is working on. Lately I've had zombies in POIs keep walking away from me if I sneak shot them. They just walk off, I can even walk up, hit them with melee while now standing, and they keep going to a wall then start beating on it. Doesn't happen all the time, but often enough. One that I can replicate every time is the boar that stands guard at the door from the basement to ground floor at Bob's Boars/Carl's Corn POI in Navezgane. Be at the bottom of the stairs, sneak headshot it with an arrow, and off it goes. It'll just run off to the 2nd room from the kitchen and try to break the wall. I can run up to it and melee it to death and it'll never even look at me.

Faatal would it be possible to lower the Stealth camera height. Since I see first person, the lean doesnt come into view. But many times going into stealth the camera change is so subtle that unless im looking to the lower left, i dont even know. The squat height doesnt matter but if the view goes closer to grass level it actually feel like sneaking.

Faatal would it be possible to lower the Stealth camera height. Since I see first person, the lean doesnt come into view. But many times going into stealth the camera change is so subtle that unless im looking to the lower left, i dont even know. The squat height doesnt matter but if the view goes closer to grass level it actually feel like sneaking.

+1 for this if possible.

That'd be cool. But I feel like grass height is knee high, so that seems more like army crawl lvl, not crouch lvl. Personally.

Possibly add in a 'Supply Drop Request' mechanic.

War of the Walkers has something similar, but it's just a flair that, when placed, turns into a loot crate with specific loot types (armor, weapons, food, etc).

It would be interesting if modders could put in the XML what loot would be in the next air drop, but I doubt it's ont TFP radar right now.

Blegh. That will reduce the longevity, and hence replayability, of the game.

Back to your rocks. Back I say!

But seriously-ish, the games longevity will rise or fall on a logical and interesting quest system that can be somewhat interactive to what is currently happening in the map.

For example:

-Players power.

-Player reputation (good and bad) toward various factions.

-GS "Major event" triggers. Each should have a separate quest tree. (a high GS one would be: The "Duke" has an offer you can't refuse.)

That's right, not easy.

Blegh. That will improve the longevity, and increase replayability, of the game.

I love your sense of optimism, but I shudder at your sense of realism.

- - - Updated - - -

Back to your rocks. Back I say!

But seriously-ish, the games longevity will rise or fall on a logical and interesting quest system that can be somewhat interactive to what is currently happening in the map.

For example:

-Players power.

-Player reputation (good and bad) toward various factions.

-GS "Major event" triggers. Each should have a separate quest tree. (a high GS one would be: The "Duke" has an offer you can't refuse.)

That's right, not easy.

True. Though I doubt such a faction system will/can be put into this game.

That'd be cool. But I feel like grass height is knee high, so that seems more like army crawl lvl, not crouch lvl. Personally.

I actually wish this game had prone. Be even more useful when we get bandits. I'd want some of them to possibly go prone as well. Maybe a few sniper bandits here and there laying prone on rooftops that you have to watch out for when you go into a town.

Archived