Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Let's just say.. this latest experimental version is less stable then the last.. It's crashing all the time. Or not even loading.

We know it. Poor us that have these problem and have to wait for a fix. The snowtorm outside just got more cozy here, but without being able to play its meh.

Since when are these 7days updates so massive (in bit-size).. This patch is 1.2 Gigs..?

And Steam is stuck on preallocating for the past 20 mins..

I don't believe experimentals are patches...we are supposed to completely wipe and do a fresh install.

I'm having no issues starting the game at all.

The one odd thing I'm seeing is when I start the game and check settings, resolution preference is set. When the game launches though, it reverts to 4k and i need to reset it back down to 720p.

Let's just say.. this latest experimental version is less stable then the last.. It's crashing all the time. Or not even loading.

I am curious about what may be causing this? For us, the results are completely opposite. The current build runs very well for us compared to the last 2 builds. The only thing that takes along time is the first time random world generation.

I'm running an older i7 with a 1060 and I'm getting 60 fps most of the time. It runs very smooth. I only start to see drops whenever I enter a house, so still something going on there.

When other players join my map, I'll get a small stutter that happens here and there. The other systems seem to run fine.

I'm running textures on full and full resolution on my monitor, (its around 1900 x ?) Anti alaising and vertical sync are on. I've got the view distance turned down to medium? (Not at my computer atm, I forget the exact setting.) I know when I had view distance on high, my system was struggling. Trees and grass are on normal. I did notice a significant performance increase when I turned the grass to near.

Not running particles on water or any of the fancy stuff like SSO or image blur. For my system, this is like hitting a brick wall. Shadows are set to minimal.

With these settings the game still looks pretty and runs good for the most part. Not worried about the fancy graphics until more optimizing is done.

I don't believe experimentals are patches...we are supposed to completely wipe and do a fresh install.

I'm having no issues starting the game at all.

The one odd thing I'm seeing is when I start the game and check settings, resolution preference is set. When the game launches though, it reverts to 4k and i need to reset it back down to 720p.

Yeah I'm having the same thing. The resolution is being reset, whilst the rest of the settings aren't.

Yeah I'm having the same thing. The resolution is being reset, whilst the rest of the settings aren't.

I think resolution is sort of auto adjustable since I use one ultrawide or my laptops`s monitor and there is no need to change it from settings because game already know which resolution to switch to. And when you lower it as in your case, same reason brings it back.

Unplayable vegan mode

Hi,

is there any way to change the requirements for the vegan mode? We often play for buildung, relaxing an practising without enemies. But without them you don't have any chance to get skillpoints and you need years for destroying a few blocks. For this mode I would have back the former version respecting of stamina. For now it's unplayable in the vegan mode.

@faatal, sorry for bothering you ,but can you prioritize the problem with connection to the other servers? My friends cannot join any other servers and its boring to play alone. Once again sorry for bothering you, i just hope this issue is solved asap ;)

Just a couple opinions from the Alpha 17 experimental:

1) I'm still not a fan of just how many sleepers there are in every single building. I really wish that sleepers were more the exception and not the rule. I don't enter a POI with a sense of caution and alertness as I try to loot and scoot. I enter it like Rambo, ready for the inevitable 5 minute battle royal. It gets old and makes every looting experience start blending together regardless of how different the POI might be. Still holding out hope that this is a direction that will ultimately be rethought and adjusted. If nothing else, at least make some sleepers dummies. They never get up. So it at least introduces SOME uncertainty.

2) Hand in hand with the first point, I don't like how the leveling system encourages me to be Rambo. I think a pretty fundamental rule of survival would be "Don't be Rambo". The game is feeling more and more like an action game than a survival game. Hunger and thirst systems are great and all (the new additions to those systems are great btw), but any progress that makes towards creating an immersive survival feel is lost when I feel I have to intentionally go play Dead Rising in the nearest POI, not because I need more food or water or a crucial schematic from the world. But because I need to grind the blue bar on my hud. I don't want to slip in to the WoW grind mentality in a survival game.

3) the way loot from Zombies is handled is really awkward. I'm not sure what prompted the changes, but I know I don't care for this new system. It's unintuitive and clunky and can really make the flow of gameplay stumble hard. But I won't say much more than that as I have a feeling this change was made for technical/optimization reasons.

4) I was worried that the dungeon ready building thing would be taken too far, and I feel that worry has been justified. There's a sense of immersion that's really been lost in this alpha. So many buildings feel so blatantly hand crafted it's jarring. Towns feel like some sort of strange dungeon select menu rather than organically dilapidated buildings left after a zombie apocalypse.

All in all so far I think a lot of great work has been done on A17. Lots of great system level progress. But in terms of the over all feel and direction of the game, it's actually moving backwards. At least in my tastes. But maybe the vision for the game just isn't for me in the long run.

Hi,

is there any way to change the requirements for the vegan mode? We often play for buildung, relaxing an practising without enemies. But without them you don't have any chance to get skillpoints and you need years for destroying a few blocks. For this mode I would have back the former version respecting of stamina. For now it's unplayable in the vegan mode.

For now, you can change the XP values in the xml file you can find in the game's data. Go to modding section for more info

Just a couple opinions from the Alpha 17 experimental:

SNIPPED for space...

I sneak and use ladders and frames and put points in the Ninja stuff. this has let me get some/most of the loot with little zombie danger.

my other ploy is to fire a gun outside and get the Zombies in the open and hack/club a few and run back in and loot.

TFP please remove "buy" shortcut from the perk menu. I accidentally pressed "W" and bought "ninja movement" at level 7 - what a waste...

Or add an undo button for the first 5 seconds after a purchase or something...

Is there a way thorugh a console command to undo this??

Agreed. None of the shortcuts should be WASD.

I think most people feel: "A17 is good, but...".

I'm sure most can agree TFP intent was NOT to be boring like A16 was and in that they mostly accomplished that.

My critique:

It's now a shooter game with gaming the zombie pathing needing more finesse than A16.

Its now a MP game with some room for SP.

Its not a survival game unless you consider shooter games to be survival.

Its not a good SP game until all vital perks are maxed.

"Dead is Dead" is dead.

I think most people feel: "A17 is good, but...".

I'm sure most can agree TFP intent was NOT to be boring like A16 was and in that they mostly accomplished that.

My critique:

It's now a shooter game with gaming the zombie pathing needing more finesse than A16.

Its now a MP game with some room for SP.

Its not a survival game unless you consider shooter games to be survival.

Its not a good SP game until all vital perks are maxed.

"Dead is Dead" is dead.

Doom is a shooter.

Battlefield is a shooter

Call of Duty is a shooter

Far Cry is a shooter

A17 is nothing like any of those.

Hey y'all,

For the most part I'm liking the new alpha. Couple things though.

1. Like others have mentioned, the sleepers are too common. Every last one is still kicking and every situation seems to be the same. Every building will have at least 8 zombies and take forever to truly clear as they seem to be everywhere.

2. Was Quality Joe removed entirely? I have been looking through the skill list and can't find anything on it. It was possibly the most important skill in the previous alphas and if it's buried in the skill tree it should be mentioned which one controls it.

3. The random world generator is bugged. Buildings have been rendered with all but a single block off the ground. I saw a water tower entirely off the ground. The freaking sign outside the gas station just outside Diersville collapsed without any real reason to. The absurd peaks and valleys are back. I've found lakes at the bottom but if you fell in you would never get back out without digging through the mountain. I do like that there seems to be more flat areas than there were before. LOL, seems to be the extremes this time around...then again Alpha 16 started the same way. Then there's the biomes. I've been finding an insane amount of patches of a biome in the middle of another. Instead of there being large areas of wasteland or burnt biomes, they seem to be more common in ~20 x ~20 patches. I had two traders literally across the road from each other too. I mean, I don't mind the short walk from one to another, literally only ~6 meters, but when the next closest is more than 2.5 km away it's absurd.

Yeah, I think that's it for now. I like the combat. I like most of how the skill tree is. I like the simplicity of the point system. I like the inclusion of degradation on the stamina even if it makes things more difficult. I don't like that you don't get more ore with iron or steel tools, but I get it as that is in the skill tree. Doubling it with tool bonuses would make it too OP at higher levels. Just started a new game on b208, hopefully some of this is fixed. I haven't looked at the list of changes yet.

Archived