Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I think most people feel: "A17 is good, but...".

I'm sure most can agree TFP intent was NOT to be boring like A16 was and in that they mostly accomplished that.

My critique:

It's now a shooter game with gaming the zombie pathing needing more finesse than A16.

Its now a MP game with some room for SP.

Its not a survival game unless you consider shooter games to be survival.

Its not a good SP game until all vital perks are maxed.

"Dead is Dead" is dead.

I think most people feel: "A17 is good, but...".

I'm sure most can agree TFP intent was NOT to be boring like A16 was and in that they mostly accomplished that.

My critique:

It's now a shooter game with gaming the zombie pathing needing more finesse than A16.

Its now a MP game with some room for SP.

Its not a survival game unless you consider shooter games to be survival.

Its not a good SP game until all vital perks are maxed.

"Dead is Dead" is dead.

Doom is a shooter.

Battlefield is a shooter

Call of Duty is a shooter

Far Cry is a shooter

A17 is nothing like any of those.

Hey y'all,

For the most part I'm liking the new alpha. Couple things though.

1. Like others have mentioned, the sleepers are too common. Every last one is still kicking and every situation seems to be the same. Every building will have at least 8 zombies and take forever to truly clear as they seem to be everywhere.

2. Was Quality Joe removed entirely? I have been looking through the skill list and can't find anything on it. It was possibly the most important skill in the previous alphas and if it's buried in the skill tree it should be mentioned which one controls it.

3. The random world generator is bugged. Buildings have been rendered with all but a single block off the ground. I saw a water tower entirely off the ground. The freaking sign outside the gas station just outside Diersville collapsed without any real reason to. The absurd peaks and valleys are back. I've found lakes at the bottom but if you fell in you would never get back out without digging through the mountain. I do like that there seems to be more flat areas than there were before. LOL, seems to be the extremes this time around...then again Alpha 16 started the same way. Then there's the biomes. I've been finding an insane amount of patches of a biome in the middle of another. Instead of there being large areas of wasteland or burnt biomes, they seem to be more common in ~20 x ~20 patches. I had two traders literally across the road from each other too. I mean, I don't mind the short walk from one to another, literally only ~6 meters, but when the next closest is more than 2.5 km away it's absurd.

Yeah, I think that's it for now. I like the combat. I like most of how the skill tree is. I like the simplicity of the point system. I like the inclusion of degradation on the stamina even if it makes things more difficult. I don't like that you don't get more ore with iron or steel tools, but I get it as that is in the skill tree. Doubling it with tool bonuses would make it too OP at higher levels. Just started a new game on b208, hopefully some of this is fixed. I haven't looked at the list of changes yet.

2. Was Quality Joe removed entirely? I have been looking through the skill list and can't find anything on it. It was possibly the most important skill in the previous alphas and if it's buried in the skill tree it should be mentioned which one controls it.

This is now under "Lucky looter" under the Perception tree, which got merged with loot speed and treasure hunting radius.

You don't feel A17 is less boring than A16?

nope

... edit, the double negative mixed with lack of sleep confused me. and this forum doesnt allow members to delete their own posts it seems... so i will correct myself with oversimplification...

17 > 16

Zombie pathing has improved but still needs work.

Most of the time zombie's are better at pathing but still get confused in the following areas:

1. Smaller blocks like 4x4 beams.

2. Multiple floors.

Zombie's get stuck an smaller blocks and try to smash through them. But it would have been better to walk around them.

I saw a zombie try to dig through the floor when it could have just gone down the stairs. I made a bug report (see bug report b99) for this one.

Both of these problems happened at the information center.

That's right, most people have indicated that and that's why I said that about most people's feelings. I then separated that from my critique. Is it clear to you?

Got it.. but A17 is no where near a shooter... Play Call of Duty for 10 minutes and you may take back your critique :)

Play Call of Duty.. then play 7 days. I think they are a "bit" different.... lol.

That's right, most people have indicated that and that's why I said that about most people's feelings. I then separated that from my critique. Is it clear to you?

Fight! Fight!

...although honestly, y'all are both just frustrated and probably agree with one another. =)

This game give us enough ways of gameplay guys. Everyone gets it in it`s own way that should not be compared with the others. It is sandobox in some way, thats why many of us have thausands of gamehours, not 30 and say I played that way and it is the best.

We play unstable experimental and there is no point of arguing like 4th graders how and what to do to feel better ingame or how to balance it.

Depends on Pimps.

- - - Updated - - -

Says the person who uses diapers as his avatar. ;)

Thats a camouflage.

This game give us enough ways of gameplay guys. Everyone gets it in it`s own way that should not be compared with the others. It is sandobox in some way, thats why many of us have thausands of gamehours, not 30 and say I played that way and it is the best.

We play unstable experimental and there is no point of arguing like 4th graders how and what to do to feel better ingame or how to balance it.

Depends on Pimps.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats a camouflage.

and the modders! We have some gifted people that mod this game and I'm looking forward to what they create. :)

Hey y'all,

For the most part I'm liking the new alpha. Couple things though.

1. Like others have mentioned, the sleepers are too common. Every last one is still kicking and every situation seems to be the same. Every building will have at least 8 zombies and take forever to truly clear as they seem to be everywhere.

3. The random world generator is bugged. Buildings have been rendered with all but a single block off the ground. I saw a water tower entirely off the ground. The freaking sign outside the gas station just outside Diersville collapsed without any real reason to. The absurd peaks and valleys are back. I've found lakes at the bottom but if you fell in you would never get back out without digging through the mountain. I do like that there seems to be more flat areas than there were before. LOL, seems to be the extremes this time around...then again Alpha 16 started the same way. Then there's the biomes. I've been finding an insane amount of patches of a biome in the middle of another. Instead of there being large areas of wasteland or burnt biomes, they seem to be more common in ~20 x ~20 patches. I had two traders literally across the road from each other too. I mean, I don't mind the short walk from one to another, literally only ~6 meters, but when the next closest is more than 2.5 km away it's absurd.

Yeah, I think that's it for now. I like the combat. I like most of how the skill tree is. I like the simplicity of the point system. I like the inclusion of degradation on the stamina even if it makes things more difficult. I don't like that you don't get more ore with iron or steel tools, but I get it as that is in the skill tree. Doubling it with tool bonuses would make it too OP at higher levels. Just started a new game on b208, hopefully some of this is fixed. I haven't looked at the list of changes yet.

3) you have any Screenshots? seeds? coordinates? of these peaks n valleys? sounds interesting.

This game give us enough ways of gameplay guys. Everyone gets it in it`s own way

Well, not for me anymore. My game was long and calm search for recipes, night grind for skills, lategame way to 600 all I have, sustaining big and beautiful farm... Now all that gone. There are no recipes I loved, there are no skills to learn by doing, there are no quality levels to aim for, there are no intence in farming due to farming itself being watered down incredibly and wellness gone... There are even no gore piles to smash after night wandering horde killed itself on steel log spikes around my house.

I lost everything...

Archived