Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Well, it’s a placeholder exclamation mark right now. But if you want to let your horrible feeling bubble out into a rant about WIP features just like everyone else because you think whatever gets released in A17 experimental is the final intended version...well then I think you’ll fit in just fine around here.

I want to edit the game's language files and make it in Turkish.

How can I access language files?

The dungeon POI’s are really not that conducive to being made into a base and as far as I know those are the locations for the quests rather than the classic buildings. There are so many better more defensible locations for turning a POI into a base if you want to go that route.

However, I’m pretty sure all quests are for level designed POIs so just avoid building in those and you should be fine.

So there will still be classic, non-level-designed POIs. I know that question's been asked, but I don't think it was actually answered before. Can you say if there will be classic and level designed versions of the same POI?

So from your answers I may assume that a large base with serveral players is not possible without spawning zombies inside? Is there no way this can be fixed? Cause that's why I love this game so much. Loot, setup a new community, fight. Lots of work needs to be done to survive a zombie apocalyps.

I think that some Mod'er will think how to do it pretty easy if its not hard coded somewhere. But I highly doubt that it is hard coded, as TFP are focusing on mod-ability.

So, should be possible but I think there would be an upper limit just from the "Chunk" mechanic.

- - - Updated - - -

So there will still be classic, non-level-designed POIs. I know that question's been asked, but I don't think it was actually answered before. Can you say if there will be classic and level designed versions of the same POI?

Now there is the best idea I have heard in a month!

Well, it’s a placeholder exclamation mark right now. But if you want to let your horrible feeling bubble out into a rant about WIP features just like everyone else because you think whatever gets released in A17 experimental is the final intended version...well then I think you’ll fit in just fine around here.

giphy.gif

Seriously, though, I do hope they replace "click on the giant exclamation mark to activate the quest dungeon" to something more immersive before the game ships.

I think that some Mod'er will think how to do it pretty easy if its not hard coded somewhere. But I highly doubt that it is hard coded, as TFP are focusing on mod-ability.

So, should be possible but I think there would be an upper limit just from the "Chunk" mechanic.

I thought that the chunks were hardcoded. Maybe they make it modable as you say. I really hope so!

So from your answers I may assume that a large base with serveral players is not possible without spawning zombies inside? Is there no way this can be fixed? Cause that's why I love this game so much. Loot, setup a new community, fight. Lots of work needs to be done to survive a zombie apocalyps.

A large stilt base would be the only workaround until that particular issue is addressed. Build a large structure supported by columns, and the hordes, if they spawned within your borders, would be under your base instead of inside.

I had an approximate 100x200 wall built around the farmland in Navezgane (as much as I tried to convince my wife not to surround that much of the cornfield, meh), and we had random wandering spawns within the walls, and you can only imagine how horde night went. I had to whip around and kill a zombie inside the wall after every couple deaths outside the wall.

I was ok with a 90x90(ish) compound with a few houses and structures, we just never did a horde night in there.

giphy.gif

Seriously, though, I do hope they replace "click on the giant exclamation mark to activate the quest dungeon" to something more immersive before the game ships.

But how will anyone who has played WoW know where to click?

There is only one way for you to know that, you are under MM's desk performing.

Just pass the pizza down here please!

Well good news all, Unity 2018.3 Beta is coming out soon. (https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap) as they complete almost all development of it.

Put on the brakes, it's time to upgrade 7DtD to the new version to fix all the bugs in 2018.2! X3

I of course hope that's not true, otherwise the Unity development and support model is silly and just a constant treadmill that never gives you full support!

No. MM is not a Time Lord or so. But probably it would be better to make a 10 Minute Video every Week instead of one 30 Minute Video in a long Time Periode ... As you know - the frustration is growing and as other Members here in the Forum also told - there is a Lack of Videos. But anyway. Nothing i could say will change the situation. But the Time Periode between A16 and A17 is far to long as you know. It was also too long between A15 and A16.

So i will check for A17 every 2 Month. But surely i will not wait again for so long for A18.

Just my 2 Cents.

A17 is a bigger update, so it's taking longer than normal. Tell your friends it's gonna be awesome! :3

Hey DaVegaNL YOur PM storage is full, i cannot send you a PM ^^ Shure we meet when you are back from stalking pissing homeless dudes in NY ^^

Yeah just cleared my inbox! For context; we just found out he works in the small village where im living in the middle of nowhere in germany.

This is why I believe base size can be modded.

From Faatal:

5. Chunk load range depends on settings and is usually 5-12 from player.

So taking a setting of 10 chuck load range, it looks like your base could be 158x158 (16x10-2) meters if you set the fort up perfectly otherwise a safe size would be 150x150. (16x9 + 16/2 -2). So if the player was standing at a corner of the base the zombies could still spawn outside the walls.

Someone check my math, I'm old. :)

This is why I believe base size can be modded.

From Faatal:

5. Chunk load range depends on settings and is usually 5-12 from player.

So taking a setting of 10 chuck load range, it looks like your base could be 158x158 (16x10-2) meters if you set the fort up perfectly otherwise a safe size would be 150x150. (16x9 + 16/2 -3). So if the player was standing at a corner of the base the zombies could still spawn outside the walls.

Someone check my math, I'm old. :)

Assuming you stay in the dead centre of your base

Edit: Ignore me, I'm tired

If I could be in charge of creating a DLC my first would be a map pack of 50 maps of just water. My second would be 30 PvP friendly base prefabs that are all flagged as quest locations so they can be reset.

#TrollandSeasonPass

I love 50 maps of just water, but then don't we need floatable base, like Boat house..

If the Bedroll is in the exact center and its no spawn zone was also set to... ahhh, now that I'm thinking, its best to have the bedroll set to 158x158 and the fort size set to 150x150 for a 10 chunk load range.

So we're hoping that this will stop screamer hordes from spawning inside the base in A17?

Put on the brakes, it's time to upgrade 7DtD to the new version to fix all the bugs in 2018.2! X3

I of course hope that's not true, otherwise the Unity development and support model is silly and just a constant treadmill that never gives you full support!

Who will put brakes here?

In the past there were updates weekly. Some of us old timers remember FunPimp Friday’s. 1 year between version updates teeders on the verge of abandon ware. Take h1z1 for instance. They were pushing out updates weekly, then it went monthly, then every 3, then 6 and now bam! Abandoned.

You aren't the only one concerned about this. But damn they use to update weekly? Must of been nice.

Finally a mature conversation about that topic without emotional baggage mixed in.

This part of your post gave me an idea though: May it be the case that at least subconciously we mix up Early Access with Games-as-a-Service, because there are so many parallels to them? On the legal side TFP has no obligation at all to entertain us continuously, I'm sure nobody will contest this.

But maybe we still expect this because similar titles from AAA companies are using GaaS and there the deal clearly is "If you don't put out anything new in an acceptable time frame, we declare the game dead and don't pay the subscription or some cosmetic stuff from the store anymore.

Early Access doesn't have this deal. It is our own responsibility to not get burned out by the development process. One could construe a right because EA might unfairly use the best features of GaaS without having the disadvantages, but that's stretching.

(This is not really a reply to you, Nugetti, it is more a look at the deeper roots of the steam users impatience)

actually, if they were to just dump the game now, without great reason, without finishing what investors (jumpstarters) paid for, they could be very much sued through court if someone felt the need. It's called fraud, and it's illegal, and you get charged for it. I'm predicting this is going to become a thing very soon with the rash of indy devs that are bait and run. Not saying this is The fun pimps at all, I'm just clarifying, that when you take money for a service, you don't provide that service, it's fraud.

In the past there were updates weekly. Some of us old timers remember FunPimp Friday’s. 1 year between version updates teeders on the verge of abandon ware. Take h1z1 for instance. They were pushing out updates weekly, then it went monthly, then every 3, then 6 and now bam! Abandoned.

There has never been weekly updates lol. Your thinking of bug fixes in like .1 .2 etc but the alpha .0 have always taken a while. 3 months 6 months etc. So have no idea what your on about or which game your talking bout but it def wasnt this one

actually, if they were to just dump the game now, without great reason, without finishing what investors (jumpstarters) paid for, they could be very much sued through court if someone felt the need. It's called fraud, and it's illegal, and you get charged for it. I'm predicting this is going to become a thing very soon with the rash of indy devs that are bait and run. Not saying this is The fun pimps at all, I'm just clarifying, that when you take money for a service, you don't provide that service, it's fraud.

Actually.

Steam has made their wording on Early Access games vague enough, so complaints under Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act could be avoided.

Laws are funny, its the letter of the law and not the intent of the law that wins.

Archived