Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

6 hours ago, Grandpa Minion said:

PLAYERS CRASHING ON MULTIPLAYER

need a dev to hotfix these two errors

Setting angular velocity of a kinematic body is not supported.
Setting linear velocity of a kinematic body is not supported.

These two errors are linked to vehicles effects pvp and pver servers  needs fixed asap.

Are you filling out bug reports with all the information requested?

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Are you filling out bug reports with all the information requested?

its a unity error that causes vehicles to crash servers, Your a coder / modder and from what i can tell a pretty good one so, the better question to ask is why you haven't reported it?

15 minutes ago, Grandpa Minion said:

its a unity error that causes vehicles to crash servers, Your a coder / modder and from what i can tell a pretty good one so, the better question to ask is why you haven't reported it?

I remember a couple of years ago probably, maybe fatal or another dev said they have a collaboration with some Devs from Unity that help fix Unity related bugs that affect 7 days to die in particular. 

It is paid option, also from what I know from experience. 

Reporting this issue would definitely help.

Are disappearing vehicles Unity fault, too ?

Good day to TFP's

I had a Thought, With all these Chairs and Beds in Game ..  Are there any plans to add sitting and Sleeping to game? 

There was a sleep bag mod, but the author is not working on 7D2D anymore ... it was by "Telaric's A21 modlets" and it worked great at the time but will not work in v1.0. ... I tried to modify it to work but could not.

Thank you for time ... The OldGamer 😌

13 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

How's the progress about added mutated zombies and such too hordes @schwanz9000

And I got a question. Would it be possible for you guys to do random gen zombies again? I'm just saying just for curiosity.  

But like how we have the random player maker, imagine If you make those models all zombie up. And just placed in the world. And randomize cloths/armor/wardrobe system

Would that be possible 

Been trying to tackle the console bugs and haven't had a chance to work on it.

We have no plans to use zombified versions of the player characters...if that's what you mean. 

12 minutes ago, beerfly said:

I remember a couple of years ago probably, maybe fatal or another dev said they have a collaboration with some Devs from Unity that help fix Unity related bugs that affect 7 days to die in particular. 

It is paid option, also from what I know from experience. 

Reporting this issue would definitely help.

Are disappearing vehicles Unity fault, too ?

What i know is pve and pvp servers have already disabled vehicles off their servers because of how bad the bug is and that i've been told... "When you move a kinematic object, you can not apply velocity. Velocity is a linear based system in unity", appeartantly unity used to allow you to but changed with their new update. I also know it gets so bad it causes the csmm hosted monitor manager to start lagging and freeze up. Also i'm 100% convinced the devs already know about the issue since one of them spoke about it when they attempted to fix the vehicle dupe glitch in experimental. The whole reason for my post is to hopefully shed light that the bug is worse than they probably even imagined and needs fixed asap.

46 minutes ago, Grandpa Minion said:

What i know is pve and pvp servers have already disabled vehicles off their servers because of how bad the bug is and that i've been told... "When you move a kinematic object, you can not apply velocity. Velocity is a linear based system in unity", appeartantly unity used to allow you to but changed with their new update. I also know it gets so bad it causes the csmm hosted monitor manager to start lagging and freeze up. Also i'm 100% convinced the devs already know about the issue since one of them spoke about it when they attempted to fix the vehicle dupe glitch in experimental. The whole reason for my post is to hopefully shed light that the bug is worse than they probably even imagined and needs fixed asap.

Again.

A bug report with client and server logs without mods that shows a server crashing due to a benign warning message will get way more attention than yelling. Just say'n.

I think the devs could benefit from a bug report/logs.

Who should do it though?

It's not a problem for me, so I'm not going to do it.

I mean, if I needed it fixed asap, I'd probably get off my ass and do it.

If that wasn't enough motivation, then I probably don't really want it asap.

...I do tend to be lazy though, so maybe I'd just talk about it here and see if someone else does it for me.

Full disclosure...I will call out bugs in the forums if they're old ones which have returned, or to spotlight a bug which I've submitted a report for, but is preventing me from playing.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

1 hour ago, Grandpa Minion said:

What i know is pve and pvp servers have already disabled vehicles off their servers because of how bad the bug is and that i've been told...

I play on a PvE server where transport is not disabled. The only thing that is disabled is tree seeds, they sometimes load the server too much.

1 hour ago, schwanz9000 said:

We have no plans to use zombified versions of the player characters...if that's what you mean. 

Kinda but... ugh it's hard to explain.  

But yeah basically a no. Good luck with console bugs! Tbh I haven't found many. 

28 minutes ago, schwanz9000 said:

Again.

A bug report with client and server logs without mods that shows a server crashing due to a benign warning message will get way more attention than yelling. Just say'n.

Whos yelling? How about I yell since nobody has been prior. LOUD NOISES!!!

Its in the Unity instruction manual telling you NOT TO APPLY VELOCITY TO KINEMATIC OBJECTS! For some unknown, brain melted reason, your dev team is not fixing this and have yet to convert to the proper form of movement control. I gave this report to an official tester who already put it in the system for you weeks ago before you went to stable. That was during experimental. Its almost three weeks later, multiple patches and hotfixes came and went without a fix and yet you are acting like its benign or caused by mods.

You want a report of how you are doing the opposite of something listed in the Unity instruction manual? Seriously? That error comes from the Unity engine. Spamming the Unity engine with physics errors. I have personally seen it spamming on vanilla servers. It can get stuck triggering dozens of times a second which locks the mainthread in a loop state. Eventually crashing the server. When its not stuck spamming, it fires off every single time you get out of a vehicle. Multiple times depending which vehicle due to multiple rigidbody and having linear based velocities on them, then getting their bool flipped to a kinematic object for absolutely no reason. You are switching a moving entity with a rigidbody to a kinematic object. That is a huge no no in Unity physics engine since 2019. They stopped supporting that and specifically said DONT DO IT around 2022 if my memory recalls correctly. Its on their website. I gave it to you in your bug reports section as well. They gave you an alternative and yet you aren't using it.

I am reading your assembly.dll right now. I am really tired of this no mods allowed idea. YOU provided harmony injections as a basis of the game but dont want mods. We are currently reading your programming and telling you its faulty. I can give you sections that dont make any sense in YOUR programming and you want a log showing you a crash without mods? Mods have nothing to do with the base game utilizing the Unity engine improperly. Again.... you are going against the basis of the Unity physics engine. It will not allow linear velocities on kinematic objects. Linear means it doesnt stop immediately. If you switch the object to kinematic and it still has a velocity on it, you will hit physics engine errors. AGAIN... this is in the instruction manual of Unity and how to program a game in the Unity engine. Something you are not following and then asking us for reports on how you are not following the basic instructions of the Unity engine as its spitting an error out telling you what is wrong. I can load unity and cause this fault right now if I wanted to. Spawn a gameobject with a rigidbody and then set kinematic true. Then set a velocity on it. The engine will tell you it cant and guess what error it shows... It has options to move manually while kinematic but it makes no sense to be applied on a vehicle in the first place.

Do you really need another report showing you a log with the Unity engine telling you to stop applying velocity to kinematic objects? AGAIN, unity gave you the exact way to run this. Why was this not fixed when you switched your Unity version? You are acting like the mods are changing the kinematic state on the rigidbody of vehicles. Something that should never be done in the first place. I am staring at the EntityVehicle class right now as your programmers are for some bizarre reason, switching the kinematic state over and over.

Maybe this isnt clear enough. A turret, something that animates but doesnt change its position can be a kinematic object on the rigidbody. A moving entity/vehicle is not kinematic due to it changing position. If you still wish to achieve movement while kinematic, use the alternative Unity devs instructed us to use which is a manual form of movement control. That is the problem here. You programmed this in a manner Unity told you not to do anymore. How many reports do we need on this? Do we need more links to the Unity developers instructions on this issue? Im being serious. This is getting ridiculous. You spent weeks making us download POIs and bear models over and over and yet you arent even using the physics engine of Unity properly and this is stable now?

29 minutes ago, Obsessive Compulsive said:

It can get stuck triggering dozens of times a second which locks the mainthread in a loop state. Eventually crashing the server.

THIS. This is what will get this to have more attention. Show me a log of this. Show me the crash dump from the server due to warning spam. That's all I'm asking.

We understand HOW the warning is happening. It's just not been a priority on top of everything else we've got going on.

6 hours ago, Grandpa Minion said:

Because I never experienced the bug so I would have zero information to give them to assist in troubleshooting the issue.  That is why I haven't reported it.

Edited by BFT2020
better grammar :-) (see edit history)

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

Because I never experienced the bug so I would have zero information to give them to assist in troubleshooting the issue.  That is why I haven't reported it.

If your telling me you have never seen either one of these wrns bugs go off I find that hard to believe... anytime you ride any vehicle ite well trigger.

the problem is when people start stacking the bug in multiplayer  x amount of players on the server it freezes the main thread....

I don't know who's responsible for the so called "save system", but I wanted to thank them. It seems improved.

Even after (rarely) crashing to desktop, or even having one time to hard-reset the computer after a lock, I've never experienced any loss in my saved games.

I've heard that other players in the past had to restart at level zero or even throw away their save after a CTD!

Did you do something?

Anyway... good job TFP! :thumb:

the problem is when people start stacking the bug in multiplayer  x amount of players on the server it freezes the main thread....

Did that server install a @SnowDog1942 mod by any chance? :suspicious:

He's always boasting his "kinematic body", so maybe that could be it.

And by the way, watch out for his "linear velocity"... :fear:

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

@Alloc

Several days of banging my head on my desk after asking and getting help from multiple sources and for the life of me I do not know why my live map will not work. Sometimes I have this love/hate relationship with this game!

1..Alloc's mod with the latest version on my server ( along with the CSSM fixes )

2..Server config file is set up to display properly

3..Everything worked fine in A21 with the ports

So no clue as to what little setting is causing this issue

Edited by HB_H4wk (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Obsessive Compulsive said:

Whos yelling? How about I yell since nobody has been prior. LOUD NOISES!!!

Holy crap.  Just submit the bug report correctly.  It sounds like you haven't gone through the proper channels once.  

Get the crash report logs and submit them.  If you don't have the logs, then get the owner of the server to report this properly.

But dropping a wall of text on a forum post will not solve your problem.

On 7/31/2024 at 9:26 AM, Outlaw_187 said:

Does anyone else think the 4x4 absolutely sucks??!! 

It looks cool and all but oh man....

I had it fully modded, plow, turbo boost, gas saver, & the headlights. 1 short trip to the wasteland & then a short run through the burnt forest, I'd say about a 3 & a half to 4 km run. I had 12% health left when returning to base. 

It takes a TON of gas and it's slow as hell! 

No thanks! 😖

Yea, it seems to have gotten a bit slower over the years as well.

Another good combo no one has mentioned yet is the Motorcycle and the Drone (with Cargo expansion).

This is pretty good as the Drone will follow you around so you don't have to shuttle back and forth to the 4x4.

Edited by LostBoy (see edit history)

If your telling me you have never seen either one of these wrns bugs go off I find that hard to believe... anytime you ride any vehicle ite well trigger.

If you don't play multiplayer, then you would not see the message. Being that it is a warning, you would never see the message unless you look at the console or log for them.

Unity used to not care about you setting velocities on a kinematic RigidBody and then in 2022 they added a warning to tell you the velocity does not do anything because kinematic objects are not moved by velocities. Warnings don't break the game. I log plenty or these every day for all manner of testing. They are the same as a normal log message except they say "warning". Now, if there is a lot of spam of any type of message then it may cause a small performance hit, but it should not crash.

I found two places in vehicle code where it happens and fixed them. One seems to be an actual bug where the vehicle would not have its velocity transferred when the server resumes ownership of the vehicle.

17 minutes ago, faatal said:

If you don't play multiplayer, then you would not see the message. Being that it is a warning, you would never see the message unless you look at the console or log for them.

Unity used to not care about you setting velocities on a kinematic RigidBody and then in 2022 they added a warning to tell you the velocity does not do anything because kinematic objects are not moved by velocities. Warnings don't break the game. I log plenty or these every day for all manner of testing. They are the same as a normal log message except they say "warning". Now, if there is a lot of spam of any type of message then it may cause a small performance hit, but it should not crash.

I found two places in vehicle code where it happens and fixed them. One seems to be an actual bug where the vehicle would not have its velocity transferred when the server resumes ownership of the vehicle.

Thank you so much for looking and fixn it. Is there a timeframe the hotfix well be pushed on the stable branch? i need to let our players know when we will be adding back vehicles..thanks!

@faatal Can we get an official update on recommended location for mod installations?  It seems some people are now being told that mods are supposed to be installed in the game directory because that's where the TFP Harmony mod was placed.  Considering the reason why the recommended location was changed to %appdata% in the past, I doubt that has changed.  My belief is that because that mod is made by TFP, it is part of the game and so belongs in the game folder, but all user mods should still not be placed in that folder.  But maybe I'm wrong and I'd like to know if I am so I don't give people incorrect information.  Thanks.

What about these new gorgeous doors and windows, when we can craft them? Also more furniture crafting could be gorgeous update! I loved when you added Refrigenerators and ovens for craftable, more of that please! 

4 hours ago, Riamus said:

@faatal Can we get an official update on recommended location for mod installations?  It seems some people are now being told that mods are supposed to be installed in the game directory because that's where the TFP Harmony mod was placed.  Considering the reason why the recommended location was changed to %appdata% in the past, I doubt that has changed.  My belief is that because that mod is made by TFP, it is part of the game and so belongs in the game folder, but all user mods should still not be placed in that folder.  But maybe I'm wrong and I'd like to know if I am so I don't give people incorrect information.  Thanks.

I've asked that here and in the mod forum. Maybe this time we'll get an answer.

8 hours ago, faatal said:

If you don't play multiplayer, then you would not see the message. [...]

Oh, I'm not playing multi.

But after reading this discussion here I've checked my singleplayer log from yesterday. Got these messages 246 times within 7 seconds:

Spoiler

2024-08-01T21:34:08 2096.070 INF VehicleManager saving 2 (2 + 0)
2024-08-01T21:34:08 2096.070 INF 123014 VehicleManager write #0, id 1630, vehicleBicycle, (-1168.9, 39.0, -14.2), chunk -74, -1
2024-08-01T21:34:08 2096.070 INF 123014 VehicleManager write #1, id 2106, vehicleMinibike, (-1238.4, 35.0, -37.9), chunk -78, -3
2024-08-01T21:34:08 2096.072 INF VehicleManager saved 916 bytes
2024-08-01T21:34:08 2096.821 INF 2078.869 SleeperVolume -1242, 30, -56: Restoring -1242, 35, -56 (-78, -4) 'zombieUtilityWorker', count 1
2024-08-01T21:34:09 2097.820 INF Time: 34.54m FPS: 58.35 Heap: 2298.3MB Max: 2470.6MB Chunks: 278 CGO: 191 Ply: 1 Zom: 1 Ent: 4 (25) Items: 0 CO: 1 RSS: 4738.3MB

[...]   // 246 velocity lines in total (about a 7 seconds break in the timestamps)

2024-08-01T21:34:16 2104.383 WRN Occlusion: RemoveEntity [type=EntityBicycle, name=vehicleBicycle, id=1630] missing
2024-08-01T21:34:16 2104.384 INF 123511 VehicleManager RemoveTrackedVehicle [type=EntityBicycle, name=vehicleBicycle, id=1630], Unloaded
2024-08-01T21:34:25 2113.747 INF 124067+1 Origin Reposition (-1184.0, 32.0, -16.0) to (-1392.0, 32.0, -192.0)
2024-08-01T21:34:26 2114.387 INF VehicleManager saving 2 (1 + 1)
2024-08-01T21:34:26 2114.387 INF 124105 VehicleManager write #0, id 2106, vehicleMinibike, (-1386.3, 34.9, -189.0), chunk -87, -12
2024-08-01T21:34:26 2114.388 INF 124105 VehicleManager write #1, id 1630, vehicleBicycle, (-1168.9, 39.0, -14.2), chunk -74, -1
2024-08-01T21:34:26 2114.389 INF VehicleManager saved 916 bytes

looks like it got triggered when VehicleManager saved and my bicycle was missing.

(I was riding my minibike at this time - the bicycle was still at the base when I came home, nothing lost, everything fine 🙂)

Edited by q123 (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, q123 said:

But after reading this discussion here I've checked my singleplayer log from yesterday. Got these messages 246 times within 7 seconds:

Why did you cut the other part of his reply? ->

Being that it is a warning, you would never see the message unless you look at the console or log for them.