Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

45 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

Are they not taking Twitchcon Europe into account? Would be a slap in the face to European streamers if it happened that weekend

My post was meant as a joke poking fun at their propensity to miss target dates. I'm not slapping anyone's face. We don't know when it will release.

11 minutes ago, Roland said:

My post was meant as a joke poking fun at their propensity to miss target dates. I'm not slapping anyone's face. We don't know when it will release.

That's fair enough. I think the recent dev stream has reignited discussion about missed target dates, I was in the camp of "They keep mentioning that June window with every social post so surely they'll hit it this time around" until I saw the dev stream and now I don't think it'll be ready unless they drop it on that Twitchcon Europe weekend which would really suck

1 hour ago, Doomofman said:

Are they not taking Twitchcon Europe into account? Would be a slap in the face to European streamers if it happened that weekend

Would be a slap in the face of the player base to delay it because of European streamers. 😉

If the streamer weekend is during Twitch Con EU, that would mean a July release so hopefully they stay on course and it comes out before.

13 minutes ago, Treb said:

Would be a slap in the face of the player base to delay it because of European streamers. 😉

If the streamer weekend is during Twitch Con EU, that would mean a July release so hopefully they stay on course and it comes out before.

Can't argue with that.

I suppose neither perspective is likely what matters to TFP anyway. It's probably whatever makes sense from a business perspective

On 6/1/2024 at 12:04 AM, Riamus said:

There's apparently a "look at" animation when you're near stuff so that your character will turn their head to look at someone coming... I didn't see them show it off but might have missed it.  It is something that works in some games... but usually in games that are 3rd person as an indication that there's something interesting in that direction.  For 1st person, it seems odd.  But they claim it is interesting.  Not sure if your character's 1st person view will actually turn without your input to look at things.  Hopefully not.  Hopefully this feature is only something you see other people doing and doesn't actually affect any person's view.  Still, that is a very limited feature in that case.  Seems like wasted effort for a 1st person game.

It's literally just the characters eyes that are animated. So yes, in first person, nothing changes and you won't notice your own character doing it. Though, what I will say is that while it may seem to some like "wasted effort" for a first person game, I'd put money on that it is a feature built into whatever 3D character model system they are using (unless I'm wrong and they built all this from the ground up). Even if they did built it custom, for those that play multiplayer, it certainly adds to the detail and I'm not one to complain about added detail and realism.

24 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

It's literally just the characters eyes that are animated. So yes, in first person, nothing changes and you won't notice your own character doing it. Though, what I will say is that while it may seem to some like "wasted effort" for a first person game, I'd put money on that it is a feature built into whatever 3D character model system they are using (unless I'm wrong and they built all this from the ground up). Even if they did built it custom, for those that play multiplayer, it certainly adds to the detail and I'm not one to complain about added detail and realism.

If it's just eyes, that's not really how they depicted it in the dev stream.  They made it sound like the character turned to look at the zombie just as the zombie attacked and that it looked really great though wasn't what they had been intending.  Maybe it was just their own movement of turning their head when they explained it and it's only eyes but that wasn't how they made it sound.  It really doesn't matter to me.  Like I said, in a first person game, it's not a big deal.  Even in MP, how often are you looking that closely at a person's eyes?  Besides, many outfits cover the head or eyes unless they have an option (hopefully they do) to hide the helmet so you wouldn't see it most of the time anyhow.  Either way, I don't mind more details even when you rarely see them.  I'd prefer details in things that are more noticeable but I wasn't complaining about having the feature.  Just that it wasn't likely to be a big thing for most people.

50 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Thanks Roland for the laugh.  Reminds me of the old classic I made for Alpha 13.  Its amusing how the people left in the room changes from Alpha to Alpha....😆

The people change but good ole Adolf can always be counted upon to be upset pretty much in sync with the angst of the moment. 😜

26 minutes ago, Riamus said:

If it's just eyes, that's not really how they depicted it in the dev stream.  

Precisely. I got the impression that when you are not actively driving your character, ie whe it's in a rest state, they will generically look around. If there is another player or zombie nearby, they will look in that direction. I think that's what was happening to Manny when he was just standing around while the Pimps were chatting. He would look at the camera and then turn his head, look at the camera then turn his head again. I could be wrong but I think this was what they were referring to as the "look at" system. 

It will really only matter in multiplayer, to make the characters look less stiff and wooden.

7 hours ago, Professor-Pip said:

Precisely. I got the impression that when you are not actively driving your character, ie whe it's in a rest state, they will generically look around. If there is another player or zombie nearby, they will look in that direction. I think that's what was happening to Manny when he was just standing around while the Pimps were chatting. He would look at the camera and then turn his head, look at the camera then turn his head again. I could be wrong but I think this was what they were referring to as the "look at" system. 

It will really only matter in multiplayer, to make the characters look less stiff and wooden.

Pretty much this.  It's a subtle head and eye turn I believe.  It used to be more obvious before but I think it would lead to alot of comical moments thus reigned in.

Would be great if we did a bloopers video one day.  So many hilarious moments the public may never see....😁

I wanted to ask about clipping. In 1.0, Do zombies/animals clip through thin walls/doors so they can be hit/shot by players? Also, can the player still be hit through walls/doors when on the other side of said wall/door?

9 minutes ago, FranticDan said:

I wanted to ask about clipping. In 1.0, Do zombies/animals clip through thin walls/doors so they can be hit/shot by players? Also, can the player still be hit through walls/doors when on the other side of said wall/door?

As far as I know, this is a Unity thing, so I don't know if it will ever be fixed.

Maybe Fataal can chime in on this? FATAAL... Hello?

On 5/27/2024 at 10:43 PM, DaVegaNL said:

Oh I see we are off to a rocky start!

dont mind him, he is just trying to get his rocks off

On 6/3/2024 at 3:10 AM, SnowDog1942 said:

Id like to play without the trader

so no pimps for snowdog? thats no fun

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 3:51 PM, faatal said:

I actually don't care for iron sights IRL or games as they obscure part of the target. Rather have a red dot or scope so I see the whole target.

iron sights have their place. great for night shooting with spot lights on your own. also in rough terrain where scopes can be knocked about when bashing thru bush it is a good option. and on shotguns, scopes are ridiculous. but with shotties, so are iron sights. you can either shoot with those or you cant. if you cant you need to get a different one that fits you. i havent aimed with my double barrel ever (in 54 minus 21 years). and i have never missed. figure that out.

Edited by NukemDed (see edit history)

I've lived with and around guns for 60 years now. I carry every day. Qualified for several licenses but never shot competitively. I live iron sights. When I am on the range or just dry-aiming, iron sights all the way: it's a natural thing.

In game? I use the reticle and it doesn't bother me a bit. I'm there for the game, not aiming realism.

Just saying.

No bullet drop, no wind consideration, and extremely limited gun range?

I'm fully happy with the way it is.

On 6/2/2024 at 3:47 PM, Roland said:

It won't be on game pass and it won't be 3x the price of the PC version. The price will be uniform across all platforms.

... because the PC price is going up tho, right?

7 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Would be great if we did a bloopers video one day.  So many hilarious moments the public may never see....😁

I haven't seen the stream yet but I'm told it's already a blooper reel. :)

17 hours ago, Riamus said:

If it's just eyes, that's not really how they depicted it in the dev stream.  They made it sound like the character turned to look at the zombie just as the zombie attacked and that it looked really great though wasn't what they had been intending.  Maybe it was just their own movement of turning their head when they explained it and it's only eyes but that wasn't how they made it sound.  It really doesn't matter to me.  Like I said, in a first person game, it's not a big deal.  Even in MP, how often are you looking that closely at a person's eyes?  Besides, many outfits cover the head or eyes unless they have an option (hopefully they do) to hide the helmet so you wouldn't see it most of the time anyhow.  Either way, I don't mind more details even when you rarely see them.  I'd prefer details in things that are more noticeable but I wasn't complaining about having the feature.  Just that it wasn't likely to be a big thing for most people.

Well then I completely misread it. My bad. I also watched a YT summary from GNS and they seemed to misunderstand as well. Oh well. Hopefully it's implemented in a way that isn't too distracting.

23 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

I would guess it is similar to the feature that was added to the zombies when they would stare you down. So much so that as their bodies ragdolled around they would keep eerily staring at you as their body did a 360. 

I liked the format of the Dev Stream.  I see professional presentations all the time through work, I prefer the open ended streaming they did with everyone.  It felt natural, not a corporate event.  You also get to see the passion they have for the work they have done.

Technical issues aside, I wouldn't classify it as a disaster as others have stated.  What they showed, the content, that is what matters.  Anyone that has done presentations in the past know that technical issues arise so you just roll with it as they occur.  I have never had a team member come back to me stating one of my training sessions was a disaster because of tech issues I was dealing with, as they were focus on the content and me - not the tech issues.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jenniann said:

Will we ever get crafting from storage? It would be a great addition to the game :)

And what would the workbench be used for then? 🙄

P.S.: Sorry, I misunderstood your message. Some people would like that.

Edited by Space4Ace (see edit history)