We need MORE zombies way more than TOUGHER zombies

Feycat

It seems like every alpha since 16, there have been less and less zombies. There's always a few tooling around outside, but only one or two. Even in "Infestation" missions, it's hardly worth a sweat. It's very frustrating that we have to keep modding in zombies since they took the option away from the main menu. Why can't we choose to have more zombies via a slider anymore? If the game runs like crap with more zombies, that's on us - and since I run with Khaine's mods to up the spawn, I know my computer can handle it fine. Why did they take the option away from the game? And why are there less and less zombies? Honestly I can just stroll around at night with my headlight on, not sneaking, making noise and I'll still only see one or two that night. That's not right for a zombie apocalypse!

Performance and engine limits will be the answer from dev side. And the other answer will be bandits are coming soon.

But yeah, it´s an empty world. You can up the number of max zombies alive, it helps a bit. And there should be spawn increase mods. At least there used to be i don´t think i have seen those for A21, might just be that the old ones still work. 

I currently watch Khaines A19 DF season 2 playthrough and recommend it to everyone who wonders how the game would be if there are so many zombies that you mostly just don't have enough ammo to deal with them.

Well of course there is much more self induced pain in the a.. stuff Khaine did, but...well just to get an idea, and yes, it is technically possible to have a s...load of Zs now. Have fun.

Classic Hardcore does world zombies super well. You walk into a city and it's THICC with zeds to a point that even getting into a POI to loot it means fighting through the masses.

Sleepers and POI spawns have become way too much of a crutch for the game.

I modded my spawn xml file to give me 3x the zombies at double the respawn rate. 

This made the game much slower and dangerous. I also play with them a jog speed during the day to make it more dangerous as well. 

With those two changes it gave me the challenge and "unlived in" feel to the game world I wanted.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Cernwn said:

Agreed, if any devs happen across this thread: YES to bandit/mutant/zombie hordes and insect/vermin swarms, NO to bullet sponges (Bosses are fine, but should be rare).

In the meantime, I've found that this mod more than helps with zombie population in towns:

Dangerous Cities by KhaineGB

https://7daystodiemods.com/dangerous-cities/

Similar state, except we're using the Improved Hordes mod. 

Granted the zombie XML should be able able to be changed in game without going into files but oh well 

Really the game is fine in terms of normal zombies, with the new skin/color system coming. I think it will make them much more Interesting.  

Hopefully we will get stuff like solders looking like swat teams, normal zombies with cool types of skins like a cop, solder, etc, bikers and lumberjack being blue collar workers, cops being solders, etc 

What the game really needs a few new special zombies and more uses of the ones we have.  Like burnt, burning and mutated zombies being more common 

3 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Hopefully we will get stuff like solders looking like swat teams, normal zombies with cool types of skins like a cop, solder, etc, bikers and lumberjack being blue collar workers, cops being solders, etc 

What the game really needs a few new special zombies and more uses of the ones we have.  Like burnt, burning and mutated zombies being more common 

I wish for more but if understood good -  there won't be more variants except just change of colours of clothes. damn... i'm so sad about it because it had soo good potential

18 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

I wish for more but if understood good -  there won't be more variants except just change of colours of clothes. damn... i'm so sad about it because it had soo good potential

I mean the fat guy had a complete clothing change. I'm sure you can make a overall with stuff on the cop 

And like I said. New special zombies 

3 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

I mean the fat guy had a complete clothing change. I'm sure you can make a overall with stuff on the cop 

And like I said. New special zombies 

There will be just recolor not change of clothing unfortunatly 😕

Probably they will now just add bandits and rest ofc "must be because of kickstarter" and end of that project.

2 minutes ago, Rotor said:

More Zombies for me to remove.  Really I would be happy with just swarm of regular Zombies, the way it was meant :).  I dont care to play Resident Evil.  Good movie series though.

Well i think there could be special zombies but like l4d2 uncommon - let's say: riot police, zombie soldier, zombie commando ( upgrade) , firefighter ( immune to fire), maybe rotting ( higher chances for infection), old zombie ( weaker), zombie teenagers etc. you know - make special zombies in realistic style

15 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Well i think there could be special zombies but like l4d2 uncommon - let's say: riot police, zombie soldier, zombie commando ( upgrade) , firefighter ( immune to fire), maybe rotting ( higher chances for infection), old zombie ( weaker), zombie teenagers etc. you know - make special zombies in realistic style

That would work, but not Immune to fire, just resistant :).

I dont care for puke or radiated.

The current game has an identity crisis :).  Was it a virus or a nuke problem?

I guess you could say that first there was the virus, then the world got nuked trying to contain.  I can buy that for sake of suspension of disbelief, etc, I cant wrap my head around puke.  

Anyways, is another rabbit hole.   I know is not real, but I like to equate the possibilities, after all until we disconnect from the Matrix, nothing is :).

I just need time to figure out how Khaine did the puke removal :).  All in due course.  

On 8/25/2023 at 12:27 PM, Feycat said:

It seems like every alpha since 16, there have been less and less zombies. There's always a few tooling around outside, but only one or two. Even in "Infestation" missions, it's hardly worth a sweat. It's very frustrating that we have to keep modding in zombies since they took the option away from the main menu. Why can't we choose to have more zombies via a slider anymore?

Options of course are more than welcome.  

However not every player, plays to sweat and kill and endless stream of zombies...

Edited by 8_Hussars (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Rotor said:

I always assume both. Especially in A21, where a lot of the models for things like drinks have been updated in vending machines, and you can see that many of them are advertising irradiation as a good thing in their drinks. Too much exposure led to a mutated viral outbreak, which in turn led to the nuking of cities and major metropolitan areas.  I think it was irradiated products a'la the 50's, 60's -> Virus -> Zombies -> nuclear fall out, but that's just my head cannon.

Edited by Crashtian (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Rotor said:

That would work, but not Immune to fire, just resistant :).

I dont care for puke or radiated.

I guess you could say that first there was the virus, then the world got nuked trying to contain.  I can buy that for sake of suspension of disbelief, etc, I cant wrap my head around puke.  

Anyways, is another rabbit hole.   I know is not real, but I like to equate the possibilities, after all until we disconnect from the Matrix, nothing is :).

I just need time to figure out how Khaine did the puke removal :).  All in due course.  

Yep virus then niuke. But to be honest.. 7dtd is kinda like old FPS - world is just background for gameplay

37 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

Options of course are more than welcome.  

However, not every player plays to sweat and kill and endless stream zombies...

Ding!  I play for the "survival" aspect.  Obviously that is relative.  I can see cities being more densely populated with Zs. 

Towns, not so much.  I should be able to eradicate them and not see them often, except for an ocassional wondering daily horde.  Like when you first walk into a town, they should be prevalent, then as you exterminate, less and less so.  I do use no loot respawn and no Z respawn MOD in PoIs.

Although based on traders, you would think someone was there before you, therefor they did you a favor sorta speak.

6 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Ugh, no thank you. I don't want new "special" zombies, the ones we have now are just annoying and deployed really randomly. You can get more rads and ferals by upping your game stage and doing lots of infested POIs,, but just in general the world feels totally empty. Except for the magical appearing zombies in POIs of course.

5 hours ago, Rotor said:

I asked him/them on their Romero overhaul thread, would be great if he could make that a modlet.

I also play for the "survival" aspect - I have like 20 survival games in my favorites, of various kinds. This is a zombie game, I want more zombies. We used to have a whole setting for it in the customizer, I have no idea why it was removed. "Performance" is an easy excuse, but you could just as easily point out that anyone who chooses to turn that up signs up for whatever performance issues it causes. Especially with so many mods and overhauls proving it can work fine.

"Bandits" seems like the excuse for everything. Been waiting for bandits forever and honestly not stoked about them, especially since they seem to be something that's going to take away from zombies. I'm here to play a zombie game, I literally could not care less about bandits.

I have been thinking this for a long time too, and it finally snapped for me some days ago when I was on my testserver bicycling to an airdrop 300 meters across the 'town'
has a base in the outskirts of a small town/city (not the superdense areas, but with some larger POI's like the vanity tower)

moving those 300 meters there and back, there was six zombies visible.

six.

Six zombies in an apocalypse where the virus can be cured with regular honey or antibiotics 😛

I edited the amount of Z's to spawn and it looked amazing.  Zombies everywhere, a quick look at the dedicated server window counted 200 zombies spawned :D

However the engine was choking and framerate was... apocalyptic.

tweaking down numbers and trying out, it seems the engine chokes out when it's only around 70 zombies spawned.

(By engine choking I mean poor framerate on the client, even there is free Ram, free VRam, lots of free cpu and gpu on both server and client, the typical Unityshowstopper)

I can't help but wonder how many Z's could be around with their old models/ragdolls and fancy effects turned off.

I really wish they'd left the old models and textures around, I wouldn't mind one bit if those were used in hordenights to make it a horde again.

Start new random world, teleport to Wasteland, establish your base there, set feral sense ON both night and day, increase difficulty, max out zombies and animals alive --> there you go, you certainly won't wish for even more zombies. And if so, there are mods.

Definitely up the difficulty for more fun in this regard. Infestations on lower difficulties, we could walk through them no sweat and easily take pains not to trigger a screamer. Higher difficulty -- if we didn't use guns we would DIE. Heck, we used guns and DID die. Screamers have become a fact of life. Good thing is, we're still walking out with more ammo than we had when we walked in thanks to the infestation crate at the end.

1 hour ago, OneManStanding said:

Definitely up the difficulty for more fun in this regard. Infestations on lower difficulties, we could walk through them no sweat and easily take pains not to trigger a screamer. Higher difficulty -- if we didn't use guns we would DIE. Heck, we used guns and DID die. Screamers have become a fact of life. Good thing is, we're still walking out with more ammo than we had when we walked in thanks to the infestation crate at the end.

Yeah, it has become very hard to find a balance I like, even with modding.

I can make the game way too easy or I can make it way too hard, but I can't find the middle.

Beeing back to Darkness Fall in A21 (only experimental version, still a lot to be done) i can say even the old models that were added that aren´t looking as good as the new vanilla models do make a difference in terms of diversity. I rather have those not so good looking ones then just a few reskinned ones.(That are praised as new models by TFP. Jeez.)

12 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

Start new random world, teleport to Wasteland, establish your base there, set feral sense ON both night and day, increase difficulty, max out zombies and animals alive --> there you go, you certainly won't wish for even more zombies. And if so, there are mods.

I really feel like replies like these just show how little reading comprehension of the OP there is.

No, I'm not complaining about difficulty. HP sponges are not amusing. I'm complaining about number. I play on high difficulty. Feral senses also doesn't make more zombies, it just makes the ones that spawn hone in on you. Even more ways to make stealth totally useless when combined with trigger-spawning sleepers. There just aren't enough zombies.

You can only max out zombies and animals alive if you go into the .xmls. Those options used to be in the world creator, I'm complaining that option is gone.

I use Khaine's mods to make more zombies. I shouldn't have to. The options should be there.