What was the point of the water change?

GlassDeviant

6 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

But drinking a jar of water and eatting the jar

...is absolutely the same logic as with health and mana potions in all roleplay games.

Damn if I got an empty flask back for every potion I consumed in DiabloII I guess the internet itself would have crashed by now...oh wait, it did a few times 🤔

I'm sure everybody knows that classic, but here it is again, as it never gets old:

20 minutes ago, Krougal said:

I don't know why it is such a difficult concept to grasp of gulping down the thing and tossing the container aside.

Honestly the eating the bottle thing is pure stupidity.

Either thrown away or simply kept for the next water one finds. Containers are simply not shown in the game, except to show the items themselves.

A stew without a container would look like some brown mass, could as well be a wet turd. So it is shown on a plate or in a bowl. Doesn't mean you really transport it in an open bowl or on a plate, right?

How could you immediately see that gas is not something to drink if it wasn't shown as an iconic red container you can identify with a single glance as a gas can?

If it wasn't for that reason you would not see containers at all.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

瓶がある間は「空き缶にも水が入れられるに違いない」と言われます。

そして空き缶に水が入れられる間は「鍋にも水が入れられるはず」と言われます。

今よりもワンランク上の生活に対する欲求に対しては誰もが貪欲なものですね。

As long as there is a jar, people say, "I'm sure you can fill an empty can with water.''
And while the empty can is being filled with water, they are told that "the pot should also be filled with water.''
Everyone has a greedy desire for a higher-grade lifestyle than their current one.

This jar thing is such a weird hill to die on. Never really noticed any difference this time around other than that I didn't have to carry empty jars. Water still seemed super plentiful, and I really didn't mind the change. 

Obviously, the effect on immersion is subjective and people are allowed to not like something, but this certainly doesn't impact game play much if at all.

7 hours ago, Novamourne said:

This jar thing is such a weird hill to die on. Never really noticed any difference this time around other than that I didn't have to carry empty jars. Water still seemed super plentiful, and I really didn't mind the change. 

Obviously, the effect on immersion is subjective and people are allowed to not like something, but this certainly doesn't impact game play much if at all.

It is, but other than the OP and maybe some earlier pages no one really gives a @%$# about the jars, or at least that isn't what the discussion has shifted to.

The later posts about the jars and the memes are mostly from the resident jokers. There are some forum regulars who you should never take ANYTHING they say seriously, they are only here for the lulz.

Even the case I am making, no it certainly doesn't impact game play much if it were implemented or not implemented. To make water out of snow is a simple recipe modlet that pretty much anyone could do. I imagine changing the action of scooping water to drink into scooping a jar of water might be more involved, but it is also quite possibly accessible in a config file. Obviously if it were more impactful to me I'd get off my ass and do it. If I decide to start a new game before A22 drops (because I am getting bored again) I may just do that.

At any rate, as of tomorrow,  y'all won't have to suffer through my opinions for 3 weeks since I am off to Europe for a much needed vacation.

13 hours ago, Krougal said:

I imagine changing the action of scooping water to drink into scooping a jar of water might be more involved, but it is also quite possibly accessible in a config file.

I think I've extracted everything necessary from my personal water modlet...

<items>

<!-- Change the Hand (meleeHandPlayer) to collect water instead of drink water. -->
    <setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='meleeHandPlayer']/property[@class='Action2']/property[@name='Sound_start']" name="value">bucketfill_water</setattribute>

<setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='meleeHandPlayer']/property[@class='Action2']/property[@name='Description']" name="value">lblContextActionTake</setattribute>

<append xpath="/items/item[@name='meleeHandPlayer']/property[@class='Action2']">
        <property name="Create_item" value="drinkJarRiverWater"/>
        <property name="Create_item_count" value="1"/>
    </append>

<remove xpath="/items/item[@name='meleeHandPlayer']/effect_group[@name='Drink']" />

<!-- Change the River (Mirky) Water Stacking to 10 to match the other waters. -->
    <setattribute xpath="/items/item[@name='drinkJarRiverWater']/property[@name='Stacknumber']" name="value">10</setattribute>

</items>

On 9/30/2023 at 5:16 PM, Rotor said:

I clean PoIs about 1 a game day.

I have not had to mine yet, I dont have dew collectors.  I do have a pot.  Havent made any of the crafting stations yet, except camp fire.  Dont have bicycle.  I am cleaning up a midsize town, although I have 2 cities neaby on a RWG 10k map.  I have not built a base, I use one of the huge tanks in the town, and I do the hordes off an electronic power station pole.

I definitely couldn't play that way.  I hate walking or running around all the time.  I will always rush tier 1 quests to get the bike ASAP to avoid it.  And I personally like looting POI, so whether or not I'm questing, I'll usually be out looting regularly.  Especially in the early game, there just isn't anything worth doing besides looting, imo.  I'm not going to spend forever mining with a stone shovel or even a Q1 pickaxe when I eventually find one.  I like mining, but not until I can do it at a reasonable rate.  And building isn't really an option until you have a lot of resources unless you're going to build something really small, which also isn't something I want to do.  I might build a 10x10 2-story base in the first week just to have a place to store stuff and use workstations but that's convenience rather than fun.  Real building comes later when I have the resources to make something interesting.  So what remains if I'm not looting?  Not really anything.  Even if you're just interested in killing the zombies, you have a much higher number to kill if you're in POIs than trying to kill them in the wild or on the street, so it again just makes sense to be looting POI regularly to me.

I really can't see how you can enjoy going to day 34 or higher without a bike and without looting more than one POI a day.  There just isn't anything worth doing early game to take up your time.  Unless you're at really short days, maybe (30min or something).

Maybe daylight is the key, at night I hunt zombies from perch.  Really I am in no hurry, just surviving.

I play 60 min days, used to okay 30 min days and ran out of time in poi and mining.  

When I had jars, I had more time :).

On 10/7/2023 at 3:21 PM, Riamus said:

I really can't see how you can enjoy going to day 34 or higher without a bike and without looting more than one POI a day.  There just isn't anything worth doing early game to take up your time.  Unless you're at really short days, maybe (30min or something).

For some of us, the struggle can be just as entertaining.  In A20, I had several playthroughs where I had not found a workbench schematic by Day 35 so it limited what I could craft.  With trader rewards turn off, it meant not getting bike or any vehicle for quite some time.

And it really hits home when you spawned next to a small town that can be cleared out very quickly and the next one over is going to be a hike to get there.  Makes you choose how you approach the situation.  What you are going to take with you, are you going to shelter in a POI on the way there since you might get to the next town late in the day...

things like that.

21 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

For some of us, the struggle can be just as entertaining.  In A20, I had several playthroughs where I had not found a workbench schematic by Day 35 so it limited what I could craft.  With trader rewards turn off, it meant not getting bike or any vehicle for quite some time.

And it really hits home when you spawned next to a small town that can be cleared out very quickly and the next one over is going to be a hike to get there.  Makes you choose how you approach the situation.  What you are going to take with you, are you going to shelter in a POI on the way there since you might get to the next town late in the day...

things like that.

I suppose, but I don't really consider spending forever walking around to be a struggle.  For me, that's just an annoyance as I am not really playing the game at that point.  The occasional zombie you kill while walking isn't enough to make it fun for me to walk around.  Any game that has you spend a noticeable amount of time traveling (e.g. not playing) is one that I'll stop playing very quickly.  Now, if the game had a significant number of zombies all over the place so you were fighting a lot while walking around, then it would be different because then I'd be playing while traveling.

I don't mind travel. It's casual time that I kind of enjoy. I can think about life, sing along to the music playing, and forage. Walking, a bike, a vehicle -- they're all cool. I see the world. That's not to say I wouldn't mind the game having more events that happen while traveling, and I think some kind of encounter system would be neat, so long as it wasn't constant string of events.

I wonder if something like an event system could be done with Tiles and Parts. Elaboration:

Right now, at World Generation time, Tiles are selected and placed. Then, the Tile is populated, potentially with Parts. So you get a Gateway Tile out in the wilderness along a road. That Tile has an intersection on it and a Part that might be placed with an automobile accident and a bunch of zombies.

What if, "Encounters" were built as a Part with slightly different behavior. Instead of being selected, or not, at World Generation time, the Encounter Part was selected during game play, perhaps linked to some event like Chunk generation and perhaps regeneration. Or maybe when a player enters a Tile for the first time, or the first time in some amount of time. Only one Encounter Part could be in play on a Tile at any given time.

We've been off topic lately. Maybe this belongs in Pimp Dreams.

@zztong

There is a modification that I temporarily did, in A20 for myself. I posted about it once
before. I decided to think of the roads, paths and grass as independent sources for events.

Why, because of the tameness of the forest biome.

If you walk on a path heat continually rises, causing more spawn, this spawn has the equivalent
of feral sense. It increased by sectors about 30 to 50 meters square. Most of it was animals.

Walking on the streets did the same thing with zombies.

It was slow to cool down, to the point of generating screamers, if you linger too long in an area.
If you just kept running around from area to area, you soon had a horde.

The way I countered it was to fake stealth, I increased the height of a lot of the grass, to just about
eye level, this added to the jump factor, as zombies walked through it. you couldn't see them. I also
had light emission drastically lowered if you crouch near bushy trees.

Added to the player, if they crouched, in the grass, the feral sense stopped in about 3-5 seconds. Visibility
was lowered to almost 0, and hearing was lowered also just not that low. If you stood up or fought a zombie,
it went to normal attributes until you crouch walked through grass again.

Was kind of cool if you were an archer. So yeah if it were decided, then an event could be added to any block, texture,
or item. But i was told it would get too intricate, and too much unnecessary processing.

But I jacked it up, by accident. I had the grass disintegrate like the frames in houses, and increased the grass volume.
So entities tore up grass, making crop circles, as they looked for you.

The result was really cool as long as you didn't shoot an arrow or bullet through the grass. Then my game would freeze
from memory overload. This proved to me what Faatal said.

I may try again.

18 hours ago, Roland said:

Do you make up words and what are they?

LOL! I listen to my music collection off of my Plex server, but ChatGPT was happy to make up words...

(Verse 1)
Wake up in a world, not the one I knew,
Zombie hordes are on the prowl, each night we push through.
Rust and rubble underfoot, hope is hard to find,
But I won’t give up, I'll fight, in this world unkind.

(Chorus)
7 days to live, 7 days to fight,
Under the crimson moon, we face the night.
Hold on tight, we'll survive, keep the flame alive,
In the world of 7 Days to Die.

(Verse 2)
Crafting weapons, building walls, a fortress in decay,
Gather resources, find allies, keep the undead at bay.
Every sunrise brings new hope, every sunset brings dread,
With every passing hour, we fight off the undead.

(Bridge)
The wastelands, the cities, all shadows of the past,
In this new world order, only the strongest can last.
Traps and trenches, guns ablaze, we make our final stand,
United we face the darkness, hand in hand.

(Chorus)
7 days to live, 7 days to strive,
With every fallen friend, we keep their spirit alive.
Rise again, forge ahead, let the world decry,
We're the last hope in 7 Days to Die.

(Verse 3)
Mysteries abound, in every crumbled town,
Ancient labs, hidden secrets, answers to be found.
Will we find salvation, or is this the end of days?
Only time will tell, as we navigate the maze.

(Bridge)
Silent whispers in the night, promises of a cure,
But trust is hard to come by, intentions never pure.
In this broken world, where nightmares come alive,
Only unity and hope will help us thrive.

(Chorus)
7 days to dream, 7 days to scheme,
With every challenge met, we're a stronger team.
Push through fear, dry every tear, face the zombie tide,
We're the survivors of 7 Days to Die.

(Outro)
And when the final night falls, and the hordes close in,
Remember the world we once knew, and the love from within.
For even in darkness, our spirit won't deny,
We're the legends of the tale, of 7 Days to Die.

This is what an ai text application thinks about why glass jars should return this is a joke post because I'm surprised this thread isn't dead yet.

Glass jars should return to 7 Days to Die because they are an essential component in crafting several items, including the infamous molotov cocktail. Without glass jars, players would be forced to scavenge for other items to use in crafting, inhibiting their ability to survive. Additionally, the return of glass jars would add an extra layer of realism to the game, as glass containers are commonly found in abandoned buildings and houses. The player's ability to find small, everyday items, like glass jars, is an important aspect of scavenging and survival in the post-apocalyptic world of 7 Days to Die.

Here’s what the AI said about why they should be removed:

Removing glass jars from "7 Days to Die" could be seen as a positive change for several reasons:

1. Realism: Glass jars are used in the game for crafting various items and for storing water. However, in a post-apocalyptic world, it might be unrealistic to find an abundance of glass jars readily available. Removing them could make the game world feel more authentic.

2. Gameplay Balance: Glass jars can be used to create an infinite water source, which can make surviving in the game relatively easy. Removing them would force players to find alternative methods for obtaining clean water, adding a new level of challenge and balance to the gameplay.

3. Resource Scarcity: Reducing the availability of glass jars could encourage players to prioritize the use of other containers or methods for storing and transporting liquids, adding complexity to resource management in the game.

4. Variety in Crafting: Removing glass jars could lead to the introduction of new, more creative ways to handle liquids and crafting recipes, enhancing the overall gaming experience.

Ultimately, the decision to remove glass jars from the game should be based on the game developers' vision for the gameplay and the specific goals they want to achieve.