My worries with Alpha 21

DuskWolf

I have been a huge fan of The Fun Pimps since I started playing back in Alpha 14. back when Alpha 16 was coming out I remember asking if they would add swords into the game as I would love to kill zombies with swords and Joel replied in the comment that they would. I later come to find out they took back the promise of swords, but I still play 7 days to die regardless. Though I wish swords were in the game. My worry about Alpha 21 is that so many changes are being made that seem anti player friendly. Such as the change to water, the continued lack of bandits and boss zombies, and now changing the secret stash for traders. It has seemed like The Fun Pimps really want players to play a particular way ever since they got rid of underground bases being a viable base type for horde night. It also seems that they hate farming one of my favorite parts of 7 days to die. I think Alpha 19 had the best farming in the game and I hope it goes back to how it was in Alpha 19. I'm personally not a fan of being forced to have to do quest if I don't want to and I remember when you never needed to, but it was nice that they were there in case you wanted to. In Alpha 21 it seems we are going to be forced to have to do quest. I'm not sure if I will play much of Alpha 21. I'll probably just play Alpha 2o. Though if new texters ever get added into the game I would love to play with them. I do love base building after all and Alpha 20 is amazing for it. At any rate I hope that The Fun Pimps keep working on the game and don't ignore player concerns because the player base always remembers how game companies treat their customers.

If someone doesn't follow the development closely then he might get different impressions for what some changes were done.

The water change for example is done to improve the survival part of the game. If survival games are not your thing then you might get the impression it is player-unfriendly. But for many other players it means a fix to an unsatisfying situation. Remember that 7D2D is a genre mix.

The continued lack of bandits is not a change and is simply a result of the AI programmers having a hard time getting bandits finished. I myself made a post a few weeks ago where I suggested to them that they should publish them even when they would be unfinished, but it seems they have high standards on what to publish and won't add half-finished stuff. And programmers need a lot of time to implement difficult features like AI and players impatience does not help speed that up. Question to you: Would you be happy if TFP ordered their programmers to do lots of overtime hours just to make us happy? Remember how much flak the CD Project Red bosses got when they ordered crunch time for their developers.

TFP did not change the zombies to dig to make underground bases difficult to operate. Zombies were able to dig in early alphas but with that early AI zombies dug too often and produced holes everywhere. So it was temporarily turned off and later turned on again. And why shoudldn't zombies be able to dig when they can destroy anything in any other direction?

And you are wrong if you think underground bases are gone. They need just a little more effort as a crafting base. In the early game just add lots of spike traps on the surface (their tops must be on the same level as the ground!!). And as soon as you can get SMG or shotgun turrets, add at least one for every cardinal direction. Voila, you have an underground base just like before.

Even a horde night base underground is possible, I made one or two already. But they need a lot more work and knowledge about the zombie abilities, granted. But before the zombies could dig players built underground bases simply because they were totally overpowered. Why? Because the ground was used by players as an indestructible wall since zombies simply could not attack it. An indestructable wall that should not exist in a world that calls itself fully destructable.

Understandable that players like overpowered stuff, but a developer needs to balance a game so nothing in there is overpowered.

Why do you think you need to do quests in A21, by the way? All important items in the game have multiple sources. The new water filters can be found in loot and bought at the trader, you don't need a quest to get one. The new magazines can be found in loot or bought at the trader as well, no need for quests.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Why do you think you need to do quests in A21, by the way? All important items in the game have multiple sources. The new water filters can be found in loot and bought at the trader, you don't need a quest to get one. The new magazines can be found in loot or bought at the trader as well, no need for quests.

You theoretically have different sources but you don't get the same amount from each source.

The filter is a very rare find according to the information so far. Therefore, you will probably buy the first filters from the trader or get them as a quest reward.

On the other hand, we will probably get most of the magazines while looting. The merchant will sell some but I don't expect there to be very many and as a quest reward you can get bundles that contain 9 random magazines. I can imagine that quests significantly increase the efficiency with which we get magazine. For example, in my current game I have two Crack a Book POIs in my hometown. One is a T2 Quest POI and the other is a T3 Quest POI. Since the quest buildings reset when I start the quest, I would have a virtually unlimited source of magazines in A21.

3 hours ago, RipClaw said:

You theoretically have different sources but you don't get the same amount from each source.

The filter is a very rare find according to the information so far. Therefore, you will probably buy the first filters from the trader or get them as a quest reward.

On the other hand, we will probably get most of the magazines while looting. The merchant will sell some but I don't expect there to be very many and as a quest reward you can get bundles that contain 9 random magazines. I can imagine that quests significantly increase the efficiency with which we get magazine. For example, in my current game I have two Crack a Book POIs in my hometown. One is a T2 Quest POI and the other is a T3 Quest POI. Since the quest buildings reset when I start the quest, I would have a virtually unlimited source of magazines in A21.

I don't think he is talking about the same issue as you. DuskWolf was not asking for the most efficient way (yet) nor was he rejecting to buy from the trader.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)