Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

8 hours ago, Gamida said:

I've been playing older versions to pass time until A21 drops and there was a time things degraded when repaired. It was removed so don't know if they will change it back in future but who knows.

According to Roland, this is rather unlikely. Reimplementing item degradation would require a lot of rebalancing.

In A21, things will change in that respect anyway. Currently you can reach quality level 5 pretty fast for everything you craft, but in A21 you will have to climb up the quality levels separately for each technology level. After the quality 5 iron pickaxe comes the quality 1 steel pickaxe. You will re-craft your weapons and tools multiple times.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

That's too bad, honestly. A stream that will probably show content that will be the focus of the Stream Weekend, it's a bad move in my opinion.

It's like stealing the thunder from the streamers, basically.

People are already hyped and are only waiting for confirmation of the release date. A game play stream will just @%$# them off.

And all this, independently of IF the streamer weekend will start on June 9 or June 16.

Just my two cents.

I won't even publish this news on Steam because I'm "afraid" of the backlash, lol

I agree. I'm tempted not to watch it, but could be swayed either way depending on if I knew when streamer weekend was.

If streamer weekend was next weekend I wouldn't watch this stream, but if streamer weekend is still 3/4 weeks away. I'd watch it just to have some new A21 stuff

Edited by Doomofman (see edit history)

Just now, Doomofman said:

So they're streaming a playthrough with QA on Wednesday, I guess that means streamer weekend isn't next weekend

Good to know, I missed that. Next Fest is June 19, so that still mostly lines up. QA stream this coming week, followed by Streamer Weekend (17th) with experimental release during Next Fest (19th). Or, they could announce Streamer Weekend during the QA stream, and still make it on the 10th. It's all up to TFP, but you're probably right.

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

And all this, independently of IF the streamer weekend will start on June 9 or June 16.

I really don't believe June 9th is even on the table since diablo 4 is being released on the 6th. From a business stand point wouldnt make much sense to compete against it- especially since alot streamers are going be doing diablo reviews.  I agree with you on the 16th for streamer weekend followed by the 19th for release. If what faatal said a bit earlier about them being down to the last of the bug list than yeah my money is on that middle of June for release.

Edited by Grandpa Minion (see edit history)

Just now, Phoenixshade35 said:

Since there is a lot of pages to comb through, and i dont have a fine toothed comb, would anyone say that a21 is a fair bit more optimized than a20? like not gonna drag a comp down?

Yes. There have been optimizations in A21, for sure. Whether they'll be good for your specific computer configuration, though, you'll have to see for yourself I guess.

4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

That's too bad, honestly. A stream that will probably show content that will be the focus of the Stream Weekend, it's a bad move in my opinion.

It's like stealing the thunder from the streamers, basically.

People are already hyped and are only waiting for confirmation of the release date. A game play stream will just @%$# them off.

Just my two cents.

I won't even publish this news on Steam because I'm "afraid" of the backlash, lol

I don't think it will be a thunder-stealing stream even if the streamer weekend happens this coming weekend. There are two major audiences really: Those who watch and follow the person they enjoy watching and those who watch to get information on the game. The first group will watch their guy or gal no matter what and enjoy it immensely-- probably more than watching TFP staff play. The second group greatly prefers just getting the information and will be interested in the Q&A aspect and that it is TFP staff answering the questions. Many in the second group are often annoyed by the personalities and antics of professional streamers and just want the info and are likely to just skip the streamer weekend but will want to watch QA staff playing and showing stuff off.

At any rate, experimental is at the door and about to come into the house and when it comes, any and all annoyance is forgotten in the excitement of getting it and playing it.

Well, I don't know about audiences, but I can tell you how it will work out for me.

Before knowing about the game play dev stream, I was willing to watch some streamer (probably Pocket), and see there how the new A21 plays.

But now that I know there'll be this game play dev stream next Wednesday, I'll probably watch that one and not the streamer.

I mean, it's just me... but I wonder how many more will do the same, honestly. 

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

Well, I don't know about audiences, but I can tell you how it will work out for me.

Before knowing about the game play dev stream, I was willing to watch some streamer (probably Pocket), and see there how the new A21 plays.

But now that I know there'll be this game play dev stream next Wednesday, I'll probably watch that one and not the streamer.

Who knows. But everyone who likes Pokket more than you do will tune in to watch her play A21. They will want to see her reactions and interact with her. You can take her or leave her and obviously care more about the actual information. 

And...if you aren't busy that weekend and it comes to mind you still might tune in to see her play. In fact, it's very likely despite your feeling now that the dev stream this Wednesday will fully satisfy you especially since you'll be on the forums over that weekend. :)

so there will be people who don't want to watch any of this because they don't want to spoil it for themselves.

And there will be people who suck up every bit of information, watch all the "let's play"s, "what's new"s, tutorials, from every source they can get their hands on.

And there will be those who want to watch this but not that, for whatever reason that does make sense to only themselves.

So what?

Release the kraken!

3 hours ago, Roland said:

In fact, it's very likely despite your feeling now that the dev stream this Wednesday will fully satisfy you especially since you'll be on the forums over that weekend. :)

Damn! You're so convincing! ... Now I feel compelled to watch both the dev stream and Pokket! :eek2:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, beerfly said:

The Kraken will release by itself. 

And some say, he doesn`t enjoy complains. 

Nonsense!

The Kraken loves complainers, heck with a glass of Chateau Latour, he'd even choke down a politician to two!

12 hours ago, palikkamaa said:

Direct timestamp. tldr: while streaming 4k ultra gameplay, t5 poi in the city center gives ~40fps with ryzen9 7950x

The FPS count does not have to be a definitive thing. There may be a little overhead if you are running developer builds (there is editor code running in background)
Another thing is that we do not know if the CPU/GPU is halted. We could get better fps on lower settings or the worst scenario, code needs optimizing...

13 minutes ago, Thaledwyn said:

I don't want to watch any streamer playing the game. I want to play the game by myself.

The only good point for me on streamer weekend is to know when the release date will be.

Fair enough.

For me I want to know the mechanics of playing and not so much the adventures of others (I will still watch that too).  

Once I understand the reality of the new rules and the games interface, I can focus on making my own adventures!

9 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Same.

I can't stomach any of the current streamers, anyway.

Found the reason why it isn't out yet.

It's stuck in a glass jar.

image.png.cfbffc93ca67de167ef4a29de8e9dc6e.png

NullReferenceException: ScrewCapJammed 

Obviously a MF bug 

6 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Damn! You're so convincing! ... Now I feel compelled to watch both the dev stream and Pokket! :eek2:

Reveal hidden contents

To add to it... dev stream game play will be different. At least from previous ones. They will avoid a lot of stuff but still play but mostly probably build some something and go into a few poi. They will do some stuff but not a lot all while talking to chat. It will only be probably an hour or 2.... just sayin my point is if you want to see things you will see more content on streamer weekend. The dev stream will be for the most part Q&A. Just my opinion based on other times. 

Edited by crazywildfire (see edit history)