Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

Well if bullets actually were a challenge to get, AND if they were actually effective as they should be, then they'd always (rightfully) be the pinnacle of loot and something you always strived for.  

... unfortunately I can perk up in knuckles and punch my way through the challenges. 

18 hours ago, bachgaman said:

This is new content, I'm talking about working with what we have, not adding new models/mechanics/textures

Sounds like a cool story, I can't imagine what you need to do with the game to permanently damage your PC

This does not justify the lack of settings. And not associated with them. Some person join to a custom server with extraordinary settings and have some problems. And what? Is it time to remove the multiplayer? According to your logic, this should be done to avoid such complaints

If your PC doesn't allow you to comfortably play on ultra settings, you just don't turn them on instead of turning them on and complaining about low fps, right?

1. i mean people have stupid idea.

2.  Well he could have short circuit in this time and blame game about that.

6 hours ago, meganoth said:

Even the most intelligent bandit can NOT spam sticks of TNT if he only has one stick of TNT.

Just because 20 years ago a game messed up their enemy AI and made them able to headshot players from any distance that urban legend is brought up as if it was inevitable. "intelligent" bandit does not mean they will automatically be invincible. Einstein with an AK probably would still have been a push-over. 😉

Bandits can be balanced whatever their AI abilities are. Even if they get the ability to loot player storage chests there are hundreds of possibilities to balance that and hundreds of possibilities for the player to make his storage chests safe.

It is not urban legend - THEY HUNGRY  cop zombie ( pistol zombie), sniper elite (at least 1 2 3 4 )  even smg soldiers,  so this situation sometime happens.  Well if this would give them ability too loot only probablity would be making traps + turrets. So nah thanks - cod pentagon thief, nioh goblins are annoing enough. So that's why the simple solutions are the best xd

5 hours ago, meganoth said:

and whether the developers should devote time to fixing them or not. Spawning further comments by people that the game is x years in development and should be finished ASAP. Cue in others protesting that they want the game to stay in alpha for all eternity.

And somewhere in there Matt115 will be telling us about some game that did it differently.

😁

Okay maybe i'm too negative about that. Just i see how  techland "fixed" DL1 problems in "DL2" i'm more disapointed that  i expected. So if something is not broken don't fixed. Now 7dtd is good game. Bandits were promised in kickstarter so - ok i understand so i don't complain that Devs will add them. I just don't want 7dtd became  another " it was fun game but one change make this game more frustrating that funny". 

At least i'm doing something diffrent that just complaining. At least better to do against something if you think that is bad idea that do nothing and writing " this game sucks!!!!" like some people doing

35 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

It is not urban legend - THEY HUNGRY  cop zombie ( pistol zombie), sniper elite (at least 1 2 3 4 )  even smg soldiers,  so this situation sometime happens.  Well if this would give them ability too loot only probablity would be making traps + turrets. So nah thanks - cod pentagon thief, nioh goblins are annoing enough. So that's why the simple solutions are the best xd

Is "THEY HUNGRY cop zombie" refering to the cop in 7D2D? Since his damage is small he can hit 100% and it doesn't matter

Sniper Elite is a "stealthing sniping" game (or whatever else you want to call that genre), in that genre you are supposed to be as good as dead if you are detected. So I assume this isn't a balance/AI problem but fully intentional.

The urban legend is about a game where they made the AI **unintentionally** too good at shooting

2 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

Getting too many weapons too early from looting bandits wouldn't be such a problem, or could be avoided by 

-making weapons degrading/break faster

-reverting to "weapon parts needed to repair a weapon of that type" (which was the case once iirc)

So you would have to scrap a lot of guns to keep your best one in good shape...feels logic to me.

-and of course early on they may/should be a challenge to deal with, so you wouldn't be able to just go out there and kill them...I mean...they have a gun, and you have...a stick. So you would have to consider if you take the chance or better avoid him.

Ammo balance is always a tricky one, so I would go with the idea that at least the early "low level" bandits only have half broken guns with just the ammo inside the mag.

Later/higher tier bandits could have better guns in better shape and more ammo with them...again sounds logic, doesn't it?

I don't think that is a problem at all. Just give bandits the same weapons you are supposed to find in loot anyway. Since we have pipe weapons now they could even turn up in the first few days.

I don't think bandits will appear in a similar frequency than zombies. This is a zombie survival game, bandits will be the exception.

What interests me most about bandits is how Stealth will be implemented.

1. How successful will we be at hiding from bandits and (eventually) ambushing them?
  2. Will bandits also use stealth? That would be also interesting since it would add an entirely new layer of danger to them.
  3. If n.2 will be implemented, will bandits be able to hide from zombies avoiding conflict?

Just some food for thought here...

Regarding bandit stealth I see two solutions: Thief-like stealth. I doubt this can be realized by the AI since human player movements are rather unpredictable. The other option would be Predator-like stealth: bandits become invisible for a short period of time. Interesting....
Or they just spawn behind the player. Then we have enemy spawning like in Doom 3? Please no!

Stealth for players? Apart from just critical hits? I don't see the environment for this. At least not in the outside areas. I reckon that this could work for indoor patrols. But is it possible to create patrol routes on random maps?

Before things get way too complicated (and buggy), please let bandits just be 'Zombies with guns'.

I for one hope that the Pimps don't get bogged down in spending hundreds if not thousands of dev hours trying to clamp down on niche base designs only youtubers really utilize. Again.

It's a pointless arms race that the players will always quickly figure out a way around and they keep doing it since like version 14 onwards. The very nature of the game being a highly configurable building game allows for some ridiculous base designs. 

Personally I think that the answer would be more types of boss and miniboss zombies (vomit cops and spiders count as minibosses in this metric). Get wild with it to actually keep us on our toes rather than endlessly tweaking pathing. I have more than a few ideas...

• Make the giant vultures that show up during horde be able to grab you and if you don't take it out, lift you up to carry you up. If you don't kill them they'll cause more problems like summon more vultures or drop zombies on top of your base, including boss types. In fact, I'd prefer them to favor the boss zombies to make them a real persistent threat during the blood moon than little more than an annoyance.
  • (boss) A slow-moving high-health 'infiltrator' type that will walk normally until it gets close enough to activate it's ability and go through your defenses, entering your base.
  • (boss) An EMP zombie that turns off electrical devices in an AOE for X amount of time. Deactivates switches, turns off generators, so on. Can shock you if you're too close when it uses it's ability.
  • (miniboss) A zombie covered/impaled in metal spikes that is more hard to defeat with melee but has a very weak exposed head. Chance to get bleeding when striking it, higher bleed chance when it strikes you.
  • (miniboss) Extremely heavily armored zombie that is more hard to defeat with ranged but has very weak exposed head. think bomb suit with missing/damaged helmet
  • (miniboss) Highly Infectious zombie that is all but guaranteed to do lots of infection damage to you if you let it attack you. Give you real reason to stockpile all of that medicine.
  • (miniboss) Zombie bandits. They are clutching onto the weapon they had in life, or it's at least tied to their hand, which they use to club you with. Slightly longer melee reach than other zombies.

I'm sure I can think of more that can work for 7dtd but I dont want to make this too long. 

10 hours ago, Guppycur said:

I'm curious what the bandit to zombie to player relationship will be like. 

Not how you are thinking lol 😝

1 hour ago, Tellis Argonis said:

I for one hope that the Pimps don't get bogged down in spending hundreds if not thousands of dev hours trying to clamp down on niche base designs only youtubers really utilize. Again.

It's a pointless arms race that the players will always quickly figure out a way around and they keep doing it since like version 14 onwards. The very nature of the game being a highly configurable building game allows for some ridiculous base designs. 

Personally I think that the answer would be more types of boss and miniboss zombies (vomit cops and spiders count as minibosses in this metric). Get wild with it to actually keep us on our toes rather than endlessly tweaking pathing. I have more than a few ideas...

• Make the giant vultures that show up during horde be able to grab you and if you don't take it out, lift you up to carry you up. If you don't kill them they'll cause more problems like summon more vultures or drop zombies on top of your base, including boss types. In fact, I'd prefer them to favor the boss zombies to make them a real persistent threat during the blood moon than little more than an annoyance.
  • (boss) A slow-moving high-health 'infiltrator' type that will walk normally until it gets close enough to activate it's ability and go through your defenses, entering your base.
  • (boss) An EMP zombie that turns off electrical devices in an AOE for X amount of time. Deactivates switches, turns off generators, so on. Can shock you if you're too close when it uses it's ability.
  • (miniboss) A zombie covered/impaled in metal spikes that is more hard to defeat with melee but has a very weak exposed head. Chance to get bleeding when striking it, higher bleed chance when it strikes you.
  • (miniboss) Extremely heavily armored zombie that is more hard to defeat with ranged but has very weak exposed head. think bomb suit with missing/damaged helmet
  • (miniboss) Highly Infectious zombie that is all but guaranteed to do lots of infection damage to you if you let it attack you. Give you real reason to stockpile all of that medicine.
  • (miniboss) Zombie bandits. They are clutching onto the weapon they had in life, or it's at least tied to their hand, which they use to club you with. Slightly longer melee reach than other zombies.

I'm sure I can think of more that can work for 7dtd but I dont want to make this too long. 

I know many non youtubers, streamers whom use them so it aren't just streamers that use these.

12 hours ago, Guppycur said:

I'm curious what the bandit to zombie to player relationship will be like. 

Shall we throw rocks toward that bandit behind cover to get zombies to flush him out. Or, make enough noise to attract zombies toward us for our own bandit cover 

8 hours ago, Tellis Argonis said:

You know "grab" player  enemy in game when you jump from 5 m you have 100% to breake legs will be 100% that even if you manage to kill vulture you will still have insta death?

1. idk

2. probably not - people who focus on turrets  will be to @%$# off

3.this spikes zombie sounds good for dunno skyrim or dark souls not to "we are making WD but with some mutatants"

4. i agree about that

6. inf zombie sounds good

7. well bandits are... zombie with weapons who attack  zombies

6 hours ago, Roland said:

Apocalyptic Co-Dependency

Zombie can be use as defense - you are making moat and you don't have to worry about bandits any more :)

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, xyth said:

I hope the community keeps its expectations about TFP vanilla bandit functionality at a reasonable level.  Bandits are not "easy" to develop in the context of this game.   Over the past several alphas our NPC team has put many hundreds, if not thousands of development hours into extending the existing NPC and zombie code, leveraging already built systems like factions, buffs, cvars etc.   We extended the EAI "AI" used by zombies, but found that while efficient, was limited in how much we could extend it for humanlike behavior without issues.  This forced us to extend some abandoned UAI code that permitted NPCs to make real-time (several times per second) choices of behavior based on the current situation.  This works well, but there is a performance hit, and I expect TFP to focus on relatively "dumb" AI bandits based on EAI at first so there isn't a major performance impact on the game when more than a dozen operate in an area.   Our NPC modding team will reuse whatever TFP bandit code base they provide in A21, and likely we will continue to focus on smarter versions using UAI.  

When i see how stalker modders make AI i hope Devs will make it simple as it can be. Just fighting againts everything except animals and take cover if bandits  have range weapon and that's all.

Makeing human npc in zombie game is just bad idea. So making them as simple as possible is the best thing cit can be done

3 hours ago, Matt115 said:

This could make the game maybe too easy. Just lure Zombies in a bandit troop and watch things going boom. What would you do with bandits in horde nights? If Zombies are the enemies of bandits too, I'd expect attacks on the Bandit's base too. Do Bandits have bases at all? And if not, what will they do in horde nights? I'd feel foolish if I had to defend my base, while some bandits make a coffee party in a meadow nearby.    

IMO bandits should be Zombies with guns that don't fight other Zombies. Bandits should just be another roaming enemy that keep you entertained.   

15 minutes ago, xyth said:

I hope the community keeps its expectations about TFP vanilla bandit functionality at a reasonable level. 

are you telling me they won’t bust into a building and save me, carry my 1 HP broken body to a nearby camp, spend 2 in game weeks (blood moons included) tending to my wounds and visit with me as I drink soup in the infirmary, and later the guest lodge? I mean, at least they’re going to be maintaining the airport and cargo planes that drop the air drops so I can join and fly along, helping others in PvP, parachuting from the plane with my bandit buds (well, family by now) as we scout the wastelands. I know there are no current plans for children but, I mean, with a deep enough relationship formed between factions I’m sure that will have to happen. As hundreds of days pass, the bandits, duke and others will slowly come together and rebuild society (and functioning boats) block by block. The final end game reached when me and my family and their children and their childrens children can gather around the family business, which will be an ice cream truck (fully functioning as a mobile zombie base/ice cream delivery) and I can free form dialogue with the bandit AI and we can sit until the dark of night telling stories of the old days.

are you telling me a small percentage of this isn’t going to happen? I just need some help knowing where “reasonable” meets “unlikely in a21l

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Nevergrey said:

This could make the game maybe too easy. Just lure Zombies in a bandit troop and watch things going boom. What would you do with bandits in horde nights? If Zombies are the enemies of bandits too, I'd expect attacks on the Bandit's base too. Do Bandits have bases at all? And if not, what will they do in horde nights? I'd feel foolish if I had to defend my base, while some bandits make a coffee party in a meadow nearby.    

IMO bandits should be Zombies with guns that don't fight other Zombies. Bandits should just be another roaming enemy that keep you entertained.   

Do you played in hl2 ? you can find in some places combine vs zombie or combine vs antilions it would be similiar

1 minute ago, doughphunghus said:

are you telling me they won’t bust into a building and save me, carry my 1 HP broken body to a nearby camp, spend 2 in game weeks (blood moons included) tending to my wounds and visit with me as I drink soup in the infirmary, and later the guest lodge? I mean, at least they’re going to be maintaining the airport and cargo planes that drop the air drops so I can join and fly along, helping others in PvP, parachuting from the plane with my bandit buds (well, family by now) as we scout the wastelands. I know there are no current plans for children but, I mean, with a deep enough relationship formed between factions I’m sure that will have to happen. As hundreds of days pass, the bandits, duke and others will slowly come together and rebuild society (and functioning boats) block by block. The final end game reached when me and my family and their children and their childrens children can gather around the family business, which will be an ice cream truck (fully functioning as a mobile zombie base/ice cream delivery) and I can free form dialogue with the bandit AI and we can sit until the dark of night telling stories of the old days.

are you telling me a small percentage of this isn’t going to happen?

Yes. because humans are the most annoing thing in post apo sandbox

4 minutes ago, Nevergrey said:

This could make the game maybe too easy. Just lure Zombies in a bandit troop and watch things going boom.

It is only easy if you see the bandits before they see you. And then it is a natural advantage you would expect only a stealth player ca n pull off most of the time.

And it only makes the game too easy if a bandit camp can't cope with the 3-4 roaming zombies you could lure into such a camp.

In my opinion this is one of the ways bandits actually ADD something to the game. As ranged zombies they don't much add to what the cop already does, but as an additional faction that can be used in intelligent ways against zombies and vice versa they provide a new and fun option for the player.

What would you do with bandits in horde nights? If Zombies are the enemies of bandits too, I'd expect attacks on the Bandit's base too. Do Bandits have bases at all? And if not, what will they do in horde nights? I'd feel foolish if I had to defend my base, while some bandits make a coffee party in a meadow nearby.    

Don't expect too much realism. Bandit camps will probably be static affairs just there to conquer them, though I would guess if they are in range to see you I would expect them to shoot at you all day long. Which would not make it sensible to have a bandit camp beside your horde base.

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

Do you played in hl2 ? you can find in some places combine vs zombie or combine vs antilions it would be similiar

Yes. because humans are the most annoing thing in post apo sandbox

7Dtd isn't Half Life. The AI fights in HL1 and HL2 are scripted most of the time. But did you see what happened in 'The Forest' when two tribes fight? It can take minutes and it is very boring to watch. While fights between you and the AI can get rather intense in this game. 

Edited by Nevergrey (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Nevergrey said:

7Dtd isn't Half Life. The AI fights in HL1 and HL2 are scripted most of the time. But did you see what happend in 'The Forest' when two tribes fight? It can take minutes and it is very boring to watch. While fights between you and the AI can get very intense in this game. 

Well HL2 not all fights are scripted ( i tested it in gmod too) - this depends on location and how many and types you will put enemies but in short - combine just stay and shoot to zombie until they or zombie die. And sometimes they throw granade or make few steps into another room. that's all and in 7dtd it can work similiar

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

As ranged zombies they don't much add to what the cop already does, but as an additional faction that can be used in intelligent ways against zombies and vice versa they provide a new and fun option for the player.

Ok, we'll see if this works ... in intelligent ways. 😉

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

You know "grab" player  enemy in game when you jump from 5 m you have 100% to breake legs will be 100% that even if you manage to kill vulture you will still have insta death?

1. idk

2. probably not - people who focus on turrets  will be to @%$# off

3.this spikes zombie sounds good for dunno skyrim or dark souls not to "we are making WD but with some mutatants"

4. i agree about that

6. inf zombie sounds good

Zombie can be use as defense - you are making moat and you don't have to worry about bandits any more :)

I'd prefer more if the giant vultures were more of a threat during blood moon than a non-entity if you are in a building with a roof. There is also basically no way for zombies to ever get in if you build correctly. Spider Zombies were originally this kind of creature where they literally could climb walls to attempt to breach your base. Something special and rare that could always get in and you'd need to deal with right away would certainly be what the pimps have been looking for with the endless fight against the base builders.

I use turrets and electricity traps a lot. Nightmare Falls gets around electric fences by making an electric-immune super beast that's a rung above even the scrapped behemoth. It's pretty easy to make a fortnite kill tunnel laden with traps and funnel the zombies into it and that's that. stacking dart boxes is so powerful in this regard that I prefer them to blade traps in front of the door to my base with electric fencing and that with personal turrets it makes horde night super easy with no real curveballs being thrown at me by the zombies. 

this game's pretty zany and wild, rember giant hornets? It was more a counterpart to the super heavy armored save it's head one where it's armor is 'thorns' so you're want to shoot it, focus on a headshot due to it's fragile head, or even use a spear, that could maybe be excempt from the thorns effect.

I like in games where there's zombies n bandits you encounter an armored former bandit tho it'd be just another motorcycle club zombie if it didn't stand out.

10 minutes ago, meganoth said:

In my opinion this is one of the ways bandits actually ADD something to the game. As ranged zombies they don't much add to what the cop already does, but as an additional faction that can be used in intelligent ways against zombies and vice versa they provide a new and fun option for the player.

cod "sturmsomething" and sniper elite elite zombie  shows up 

Me: meh,  Krasny soldat in cod and fire demon are better

In few places you have 5-8 zombie snipers and almost no cover so this zombie are annoing as hell in NZA 

2 minutes ago, Tellis Argonis said:

I'd prefer more if the giant vultures were more of a threat during blood moon than a non-entity if you are in a building with a roof. There is also basically no way for zombies to ever get in if you build correctly. Spider Zombies were originally this kind of creature where they literally could climb walls to attempt to breach your base. Something special and rare that could always get in and you'd need to deal with right away would certainly be what the pimps have been looking for with the endless fight against the base builders.

I use turrets and electricity traps a lot. Nightmare Falls gets around electric fences by making an electric-immune super beast that's a rung above even the scrapped behemoth. It's pretty easy to make a fortnite kill tunnel laden with traps and funnel the zombies into it and that's that. stacking dart boxes is so powerful in this regard that I prefer them to blade traps in front of the door to my base with electric fencing and that with personal turrets it makes horde night super easy with no real curveballs being thrown at me by the zombies. 

this game's pretty zany and wild, rember giant hornets? It was more a counterpart to the super heavy armored save it's head one where it's armor is 'thorns' so you're want to shoot it, focus on a headshot due to it's fragile head, or even use a spear, that could maybe be excempt from the thorns effect.

I like in games where there's zombies n bandits you encounter an armored former bandit tho it'd be just another motorcycle club zombie if it didn't stand out.

So - not giant vultures but add something like tank from l4d2 could solve a this problem (behemot) but they don't want big zombies

Well i hate NF - one of the worst looking mod i ever seen

Giant hornets were  aestetic fails. That's why i think No more room in hell is the one of the best zombie game because types and design of zombie in this game have sense ( it's is hl2 mod but it is difffent enough like CS)

On 3/29/2022 at 12:10 AM, Nevergrey said:

Regarding bandit stealth I see two solutions: Thief-like stealth. I doubt this can be realized by the AI since human player movements are rather unpredictable. The other option would be Predator-like stealth: bandits become invisible for a short period of time. Interesting....
Or they just spawn behind the player. Then we have enemy spawning like in Doom 3? Please no!

Stealth for players? Apart from just critical hits? I don't see the environment for this. At least not in the outside areas. I reckon that this could work for indoor patrols. But is it possible to create patrol routes on random maps?

The stuff about patrols only makes sense if you think about a thief-like game, which 7D2D is not. Stealth in the game is already working and similar to how it works against zombies it will probably work against bandits too. Even without criticial hits it is an advantage if you can scout out a camp or POI and let loose a few hits before they are able to shoot back or get behind cover.

On 3/29/2022 at 12:10 AM, Nevergrey said:

Before things get way too complicated (and buggy), please let bandits just be 'Zombies with guns'.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

Even without criticial hits it is an advantage if you can scout out a camp or POI and let loose a few hits before they are able to shoot back or get behind cover.

What do you think about the feature that Bandits could get invisible? Not completely invisible, more like the Predator's cloak effect when being in stealth mode.