Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

You all can talk about balance and books and @%$#.

A @%$#ing bunny scared the crap out of me and made me jump onto a mine and hell yea I did died like a mother@%$#ing nut. Because of a bunny. 

I love this game. 

P.S. make them feral ! 

7 hours ago, madmole said:

I'm not sure but I like seeing what equipment you have at level 57 instead of end game stuff at level 30 in previous alphas.

Offtopic, but ..

That`s one epic profile pic, dude ! 

Keep up the good work and thank you for all you`ve done for this game and us ! 

Edited by beerfly
Also, I played dead is dead. (see edit history)

21 hours ago, faatal said:

Zombies only attack blocks that are in the way of them getting to what they want. What they want is flesh.

Sometimes, however, the air seems to get in their way. Anyway, you might get the impression when zombies just stop and try to hit the air during the horde. Oddly enough, a block underneath them takes damage when they do that.

You can see this behavior in this video at 28:20: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIDnCjmD-uE

Moe punches the air instead of attacking the player.  At 29:10 a business man also starts swinging.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

Would it be possible to please make only repair mod into the repair tools? Thanks.

spacer.png

It often happens that I have walls of different materials in my house due to the scarcity and difficulty of obtaining resources in the game. For example, the floor is made of stone while the outer wall is made of concrete and the outside has rotating blades. I have the necessary raw materials with me to repair various materials. And it often happens that I upgrade a block of stone floor to concrete or a concrete wall to iron. But I don't want that! I don't want to have a concrete block in places in the stone floor and an iron block here and there in the wall. Mining material is very time-consuming and I like having walls made of specific material. If I only had a repair mod available in the tools, it would make my life a lot easier in difficult repairs after red nights. I can't help myself when I accidentally upgrade a block when I actually just want to fix it. Thank you very much for your understanding and I hope my request will be heard.

3 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Sometimes, however, the air seems to get in their way. Anyway, you might get the impression when zombies just stop and try to hit the air during the horde. Oddly enough, a block underneath them takes damage when they do that.

You can see this behavior in this video at 28:20: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIDnCjmD-uE

Moe punches the air instead of attacking the player.  At 29:10 a business man also starts swinging.

AI will randomly attack or jump if they think they are stuck. One of those checks is if they are making forward progress over time. Sometimes it appears to even happen when walking slowly up a slope just out in the world. It certainly could use more tweaking, when I have the time.

3 hours ago, Pepelus said:

Would it be possible to please make only repair mod into the repair tools? Thanks.

spacer.png

It often happens that I have walls of different materials in my house due to the scarcity and difficulty of obtaining resources in the game. For example, the floor is made of stone while the outer wall is made of concrete and the outside has rotating blades. I have the necessary raw materials with me to repair various materials. And it often happens that I upgrade a block of stone floor to concrete or a concrete wall to iron. But I don't want that! I don't want to have a concrete block in places in the stone floor and an iron block here and there in the wall. Mining material is very time-consuming and I like having walls made of specific material. If I only had a repair mod available in the tools, it would make my life a lot easier in difficult repairs after red nights. I can't help myself when I accidentally upgrade a block when I actually just want to fix it. Thank you very much for your understanding and I hope my request will be heard.

Release the button in time.
Switching modes will worsen the quality of life in the game.

35 minutes ago, mstdv inc said:

How will switching modes reduce QoL?  First, it wouldn't be required.  I'm assuming normal mode in this suggestion is what we have now.  Both upgrade and repair in one.  Repair mode would be only repair.  To me, that improves QoL.  Maybe you mean that if normal mode is upgrade only?  I don't think that was the idea.

7 minutes ago, Riamus said:

How will switching modes reduce QoL? First, it wouldn't be required. I'm assuming normal mode in this suggestion is what we have now. Both upgrade and repair in one. Repair mode would be only repair. To me, that improves QoL. Maybe you mean that if normal mode is upgrade only? I don't think that was the idea.

He wrote about an additional action. As far as I understand, pressing a key opens a menu where you can choose repair or upgrade. This can be seen in the screenshot he added. It's terrible when I imagine how many hundreds of times I will have to open this menu.
The way it works now is the most convenient option.
It is enough to monitor when the repair ends. 
Or not to take resources with you to upgrade during the repair.
Every time someone suggests adding one small action, he does not think about how many tens and hundreds of times he will have to perform it.
Abandoning the same type of actions that have to be performed many times during hundreds of hours of play improves the quality of life, Imagine if instead of holding down the left mouse button, you would have to press the button every time to chop down a tree or collect another resource.
A compromise would be to add both options, but not replace one with the other.

23 minutes ago, mstdv inc said:

He wrote about an additional action. As far as I understand, pressing a key opens a menu where you can choose repair or upgrade. This can be seen in the screenshot he added. It's terrible when I imagine how many hundreds of times I will have to open this menu.
The way it works now is the most convenient option.
It is enough to monitor when the repair ends. 
Or not to take resources with you to upgrade during the repair.
Every time someone suggests adding one small action, he does not think about how many tens and hundreds of times he will have to perform it.
Abandoning the same type of actions that have to be performed many times during hundreds of hours of play improves the quality of life, Imagine if instead of holding down the left mouse button, you would have to press the button every time to chop down a tree or collect another resource.
A compromise would be to add both options, but not replace one with the other.

Think about lockpicking as it is now.  Your default action of picking a lock does not require any other action.  Only if you want to use the alternate action do you hold E.  This would be the same.  If you didn't need repair mode, you would never even notice it.  Nothing would change for you.  Only when or if  you choose to use repair mode will you hold E to switch.  No extra steps if you don't use it.

A better example would be guns.  If you only ever use regular ammo, you never see that popup to change ammo.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Think about lockpicking as it is now. Your default action of picking a lock does not require any other action. Only if you want to use the alternate action do you hold E. This would be the same. If you didn't need repair mode, you would never even notice it. Nothing would change for you. Only when or if you choose to use repair mode will you hold E to switch. No extra steps if you don't use it.

In that case, I misunderstood. It's convenient. It seemed to me that it was about replacing the default action.

21 minutes ago, Riamus said:

A better example would be guns.  If you only ever use regular ammo, you never see that popup to change ammo.

I would use the brush as an example of how it might work. You can set different modes and toggle options, such as paint all sides.

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

I would use the brush as an example of how it might work. You can set different modes and toggle options, such as paint all sides.

I had considered that but the concern mentioned was extra steps if you didn't use it.  Painting pretty much needs using that radial menu regularly.  At least with the ammo example, it showed that you didn't have to use the radial menu if you didn't need it.  But yeah, painting is a better example of modes.  😀

On 6/29/2023 at 6:47 AM, Kalex said:

from patch notes:

• Dew collector creates activity heat when filling

That's some serious bs change there. Why the hell would the condensation dripping attract zombies????

Because why the hell do zombies exist at all - it's a game. Don't we want more zombies? Water purifiers are part of the whole racket of having a base. Those sorts of questions lead to more obvious questions like, why do hordes of zombies come every 7 days. The answer is still the same - because it's a game, a zombie game.

9 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

Normal mode = repair + upgrade (no change to current functionality of repair tools)

Repair mode = only repair (you activate and select a function by holding R ... optional function)

Where do you see the quality of gameplay deteriorating? There is no reason for deterioration anywhere. I am only asking to add a mod for repairs only. You can activate the repair mod only when you want to. It won't change anything for you at all.

It's some years i stopped checking this game, so i am not informed about the plans of the developers.

Actually playing the game, i not see reason to search magazines of the weapons i choiced or even tools, because traders, quests or even simple looting, provide me all i need and in better quality.

I can jump to iron in few days(i think was around 12/13 days) thanks to trader, at least for melee weapons and i see various quality 4/5 for tools, both in trader list and loot.

Even with the right perks is impossible to keep the same progression with crafting.

Is intentionally to have a so unbalanced progression between traders/quests/loot and crafting?

It's the game now more action rpg open world oriented and crafting for weapons/tools is become secondary?

Edited by Sephiroth87xz (see edit history)

My impressions for A21 so far (after three starts in RNG worlds, about 15hours in total, last game moved over to stable, day 19 now)

-Wow, the world looks absolutely awesome, much more vivid, so much love for detail, just great!

-magazine system is fine for me, and seems to work pretty good.

I like the slower progression pace, and there's always that "oh yeah just one more magazine and then I can finally..."

-Overlap of weapon/tool damage is still not good I think, especially between tiers (stone/iron/steel)

Now it happens a lot that your new tool, that you may have spent a good amount of resources on, proves to have just a higher impact on stamina use, but still requires the same amount of hits to destroy a block (because after the "last" hit it still has a very few HP left)

Maybe make mods more effective with higher "tier/grade" stuff, to compensate this a little?

Or make blocks with just a very few HP slowly degrade to 0 by themselves (like it is so much damaged and brittle that it slowly crumbles away totally).

This would spare the player the last hit, he can get over to the next block and just let the block crumble by itself.

And it would also add a task that the player has to look after the condition of his base more closely (and always have to have an amount of the necessary repair materials ready of course)

-new water system with no (empty) jars still does not feel right in my opinion. Too much of a counter-intuitive "workaround", just to address the "problem" that the devs don't like that the players have their storage boxes full of water, whilst totally neglecting common sense.

Yeah right now I live next to a little pond, but cannot collect water from it. So I'm having 6 dew collectors running right next to it, and these are generating glass jars around the collected fluid right out of nothing.

Increasing "cost" of pure water and the main "products" of it (increasing cooking time of water, require more bones to make glue, require more glue to make duct tape,...stuff like that) would have been a better choice if you ask me.

Or just the the player have all the amount of a material he wants, if he's willing to invest into it, would also be an option.

Now I bet the people who had their forges running with hundreds of empty glass jars, today they have a huge "farm" of dew collectors running.

Just different, not better I guess.

21 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

My impressions for A21 so far (after three starts in RNG worlds, about 15hours in total, last game moved over to stable, day 19 now)

-Wow, the world looks absolutely awesome, much more vivid, so much love for detail, just great!

I like the slower progression pace, and there's always that "oh yeah just one more magazine and then I can finally..."

-Overlap of weapon/tool damage is still not good I think, especially between tiers (stone/iron/steel)

Now it happens a lot that your new tool, that you may have spent a good amount of resources on, proves to have just a higher impact on stamina use, but still requires the same amount of hits to destroy a block (because after the "last" hit it still has a very few HP left)

Maybe make mods more effective with higher "tier/grade" stuff, to compensate this a little?

Or make blocks with just a very few HP slowly degrade to 0 by themselves (like it is so much damaged and brittle that it slowly crumbles away totally).

This would spare the player the last hit, he can get over to the next block and just let the block crumble by itself.

And it would also add a task that the player has to look after the condition of his base more closely (and always have to have an amount of the necessary repair materials ready of course)

-new water system with no (empty) jars still does not feel right in my opinion. Too much of a counter-intuitive "workaround", just to address the "problem" that the devs don't like that the players have their storage boxes full of water, whilst totally neglecting common sense.

Yeah right now I live next to a little pond, but cannot collect water from it. So I'm having 6 dew collectors running right next to it, and these are generating glass jars around the collected fluid right out of nothing.

Increasing "cost" of pure water and the main "products" of it (increasing cooking time of water, require more bones to make glue, require more glue to make duct tape,...stuff like that) would have been a better choice if you ask me.

Or just the the player have all the amount of a material he wants, if he's willing to invest into it, would also be an option.

Now I bet the people who had their forges running with hundreds of empty glass jars, today they have a huge "farm" of dew collectors running.

Just different, not better I guess.

Yeah I'm not sold on the water/dew thing either, any survivalist would have a water container... An obvious solution is to not allow water to stack more than 1 (water is heavy IRL), most other survival games you'd have 1 or 2 water containers in your inventory.  Or perhaps allow boiling the buckets of water (that way it's also a bit later game before you'd even get a bucket).

Edited by icehot (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

This is the problem of the magazine system and the reason why isn't working good.

Slow the progression pace, but isn't in line with the progression pace of traders/quests/loot at least for weapons/tools, which is alot more quick.ì

So i totally useless compared to traders/quests/loot.

There is a unbalaced progression between two main systems of the game.

Maybe developers want players to relay more on loot/traders/quests instead crafting for weapons/tools?

But then i not understand why add magazines for unlock weapons and tools for crafting when they are useless considered the different progression pace.

So is an error or developers intentionally want to have this unbalanced progression?

Edited by Sephiroth87xz (see edit history)