Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

Wall Volumes for level design to block areas they don’t want the player to move to

What is a Wall Volume? I mean, is it something you create in the Prefab Editor, like a Zombie Volume, is it a block, or what?

Info Volumes for Entering POI Message System 

Does this display some kind of message upon entry? "The corpse you see here has been eaten by a lurking Grue..."

Volume tab to Level Design Tab

Is this a way to manage all of these volumes, including the zombie volumes, without having to arrange an elaborate way to click on one that is inside a wall? (Please? Please? Please?)

I assume it doesn't relate to sound volume... or did we get the ability to place sounds?

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, zztong said:

What is a Wall Volume? I mean, is it something you create in the Prefab Editor, like a Zombie Volume, is it a block, or what?

Does this display some kind of message upon entry? "The corpse you see here has been eaten by a lurking Grue..."

Is this a way to manage all of these volumes, including the zombie volumes, without having to arrange an elaborate way to click on one that is inside a wall? (Please? Please? Please?)

I assume it doesn't relate to sound volume... or did we get the ability to place sounds?

it is simply an invisible wall that cant be passed thru nor can you interact thru it. one case is at trader jens... it keeps honest players out from behind her.... counter area so no thieving and no touchy :)

A21.0_2023-06-06_12-52-35.jpg

12 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

it is simply an invisible wall that cant be passed thru nor can you interact thru it. one case is at trader jens... it keeps honest players out from behind her.... counter area so no thieving and no touchy

Ah cool. So the intended use is with Traders. I was thinking general POIs and wasn't sure an indestructible wall was a good idea.

Sleeper volume counts allow decimal scaling

What's this mean? What comes to mind is when you say a sleeper volume can have 4-5 zombies, but saying 4.3-5.5 zombies doesn't make sense.

Adjusted Grace’s attack range/damage, health and experience

Grace now fires laser beams out of her eyes at people who attempt to kill her from the ledge above her encounter area.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

it is simply an invisible wall that cant be passed thru nor can you interact thru it. one case is at trader jens... it keeps honest players out from behind her.... counter area so no thieving and no touchy :)

A21.0_2023-06-06_12-52-35.jpg

I've never really liked invisible barriers in games.  I'm fine with indestructible blocks but if there is an opening, I see no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to pass through.  I would prefer to have doors on the sides there and just some glass around the rest so there is an actual reason why you can't go past.  Just my opinion and I know many games use invisible barriers and the edges of the map are already invisible barriers but I still don't like them.  They just feel like a cheap way to stop a player rather than putting thought or time into making something that would actually stop the player.

6 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I've never really liked invisible barriers in games.  I'm fine with indestructible blocks but if there is an opening, I see no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to pass through.  I would prefer to have doors on the sides there and just some glass around the rest so there is an actual reason why you can't go past.  Just my opinion and I know many games use invisible barriers and the edges of the map are already invisible barriers but I still don't like them.  They just feel like a cheap way to stop a player rather than putting thought or time into making something that would actually stop the player.

Just imagine Jen is smacking you away when trying to jump over her counter....😁

1 hour ago, zztong said:

What's this mean? What comes to mind is when you say a sleeper volume can have 4-5 zombies, but saying 4.3-5.5 zombies doesn't make sense.

It does make sense with how it works. Spawning 2.6 zombies means 2 zombies plus a 60% chance of one more zombie. This allows us fine grain control, so we could scale an entire POI by 80% and it still works. Counts below 1 will always spawn one zombie, so you don't get empty volumes.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, weldabar said:

It's not clear to me from the announcement, "New POIs added". Have ALL or only SOME of the new & reworked POIs been added to Navezgane?

It would only be some.  They wouldn't want to add all of them as it wouldn't fit into the manual style they've set Navesgane up with.

13 minutes ago, faatal said:

It does make sense with how it works. Spawning 2.6 zombies means 2 zombies plus a 60% chance of one more zombie. This allows us fine grain control, so we could scale an entire POI by 80% and it still works. Counts below 1 will always spawn one zombie, so you don't get empty volumes.

Ahh, I get it now. Thank you.

• All food related crafting recipe times increased 400% (i.e. Meat Stew 1:15 is now 6:15 without perks, 0:47 with perk maxed) 

I assume this is suppose to be "...10:47 with perk maxed)" or is it an additional 0:47 maxed?

2 minutes ago, eciggy said:
  • All food related crafting recipe times increased 400% (i.e. Meat Stew 1:15 is now 6:15 without perks, 0:47 with perk maxed) 

I assume this is suppose to be "...10:47 with perk maxed)" or is it an additional 0:47 maxed?

I believe it's...

A20 Meat Stew takes 1:15 to cook

A21 with no perks, Meat Stew takes  6:15

A21 with max Master Chef, Meat Stew takes 0:47 to cook

Edited by Doomofman (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

I believe it's...

A20 Meat Stew takes 1:15 to cook

A21 with no perks, Meat Stew takes  6:15

A21 with max Master Chef, Meat Stew takes 0:47 to cook

Oh duh, crafting time!!! I just read that wrong and interpreted that as effective time. Silly goose me.

7 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

No, but it can always be modded via xml. Not sure why you would need to, but I'm sure someone will do it. :D
Matter of fact, isn't it worse in A20 seeing them all say empty all the time? Oh look! A bag! Empty. Oh look! A nest! Empty.
In A21, the small containers just go poof and the large ones simply look open. There are a few containers left that won't have either for various reasons.
The quest reset or the optional chunk reset system will handle repopulating them into the world.

It all depends.  I would rely quite a bit on breaking down trash bags and the like that are outside on the streets to get plastic for steel arrows/bolts - or for some other recipe (usually in a last-minute panic to prep for horde night ;) ).  Has the occurrence of plastic in loot been balanced to cover the removal of this harvestable resource from trash bags and other random decor blocks?  If there were a recipe to craft your own scrap polymers in the chem station, that would be a good option.  

Same applies for the feathers to make stone/iron arrows/bolts - I would usually take the time to break down the nests to get more fathers out of them.  Are there going to be more 'lootable' feathers in the nests to compensate for this loss of a harvestable resource? 

Or... will skilling up in Archery increase the amount of feathers you can loot/harvest from nests/vultures/chickens?

1 minute ago, MichaelL. said:

It all depends.  I would rely quite a bit on breaking down trash bags and the like that are outside on the streets to get plastic for steel arrows/bolts - or for some other recipe (usually in a last-minute panic to prep for horde night ;) ).  Has the occurrence of plastic in loot been balanced to cover the removal of this harvestable resource from trash bags and other random decor blocks?  If there were a recipe to craft your own scrap polymers in the chem station, that would be a good option.  

Same applies for the feathers to make stone/iron arrows/bolts - I would usually take the time to break down the nests to get more fathers out of them.  Are there going to be more 'lootable' feathers in the nests to compensate for this loss of a harvestable resource? 

Or... will skilling up in Archery increase the amount of feathers you can loot/harvest from nests/vultures/chickens?

Not to mention eggs. I hope they took that into account, unless harvesting chickens and vultures will have a chance to give eggs now (I dunno if I want to eat zombie vulture eggs though lol)

6 minutes ago, MichaelL. said:

I'm a little more worried about the lack of brass in loot. We'll no longer find trophies, candlesticks and doorknobs in trash?