Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

2 hours ago, stallionsden said:

No they all go in the one folder and when you start a game the ones your game is set to will be green and the ones for a21 will be red .

Tho you will jabe to have 2 Mods and 2 LocalPrefabs 

Usually with 1 having a - a21 or - a20 pending which build you be in 

So for example you in a20 your a20xOds folder and LocakPrefabs folder should be 

LocaLprefabs

Mods 

Your a21 Mods and LocalPrefabs should he

LocalPrefabs - A21

Mods - A21

And vice versa if you are in a21

Thanks.  I think I'll still use a custom User Data Folder and Save Games folder location for each.  I don't want to rename folders when I want to play different versions as that's cumbersome and I'd rather not have to keep track of which worlds are from which version of the game or have any risk of trying to load the wrong save.  Easier to just have my User Data folder and Saves folder for A20 set to a different location than for A21.  I already use a custom config file, so as long as I can get it to use the right config file for each version, it'll work well.  I currently have the config file set up in Steam's properties for the game.  I'm assuming I can set it up from the shortcut instead so that I can have different config files for each.  I'll have to test that to find out.  Or maybe since the config file is in the folder of the game, just having it point to it in Steam's properties will still work and it'll be looking in the folder of whichever version I load.  We'll see.  I'm sure there's a way to do that and once set up, it won't require any effort to keep things separate... just load the shortcut for the version I want to play and everything is kept nicely separate without any manual effort after getting it set up.

40 minutes ago, spud42 said:

well you all enjoy the game... my GPU just died and this old thing im using doesnt have enought grunt to play the game...... at least i can watch jawoodle get his ar$e handed to him...lol

Hope you are back in the game sooner than you expect :)

2 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Read through the Release Notes. I like the changes to the spear books, I think a spear build will be my first run in A21

I'm looking forward to the changes to the club books. 20% less stamina consumption when sprinting while holding a club is right up my alley.

EDIT: I just saw the completion bonus for spear books. That's a gamechanger.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

I'm looking forward to the changes to the club books. 20% less stamina consumption when sprinting while holding a club is right up my alley.

Yeah that club book will help for those folks that play Insane/Nightmare

"When emptied, smaller containers such as trash bags, backpacks, and bird nests will now be destroyed. On the other hand, larger containers like clothing racks, desks, filing cabinets, and gun safes will transition to an open state once they have been emptied. This update brings a more realistic and immersive experience, as players can observe the visual representation of empty containers while navigating the game world."

Well, good bye extra feathers and free cloth from smashing nests.

4 minutes ago, Damolann said:

Hopefully there's an option for server admin to bypass loot containers getting destroyed.   Nothing like going to loot something only to realize that someone else has been nearby, especially on a PVP server.

How would bypassing that option help in that scenario? Surely this change means it's much easier to see when big containers have been looted and you wont even see looted small containers anymore

5 hours ago, RipClaw said:

The book that allows multiple enemies to be hit with a power attack is awesome.  Feels so good to knock back multiple guys with one well timed power attack....😎

In regards to the loot container change:

Keep in mind the new auto chunk reset feature.  Busy servers will definitely want to use this feature so areas that are not visited frequently can reset which means new unlootable birds nests, etc.

With the destroy/convert on loot feature, now you won't have to waste time opening containers others have already looted.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, Damolann said:

Hopefully there's an option for server admin to bypass loot containers getting destroyed.   Nothing like going to loot something only to realize that someone else has been nearby, especially on a PVP server.

No, but it can always be modded via xml. Not sure why you would need to, but I'm sure someone will do it. :D
Matter of fact, isn't it worse in A20 seeing them all say empty all the time? Oh look! A bag! Empty. Oh look! A nest! Empty.
In A21, the small containers just go poof and the large ones simply look open. There are a few containers left that won't have either for various reasons.
The quest reset or the optional chunk reset system will handle repopulating them into the world.

6 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

The book that allows multiple enemies to be hit with a power attack is awesome.  Feels so good to knock back multiple guys with one well timed power attack....😎

In regards to the loot container change:

Keep in mind the new auto chunk reset feature.  Busy servers will definitely want to use this feature so areas that are not visited frequently can reset which means new unlootable birds nests, etc.

With the destroy/convert on loot feature, now you won't have to waste time opening containers others have already looted.

Am I right in saying the stone spear has a new model? I don't see it mentioned in the release notes but I'm pretty sure it was in a picture at one point

6 hours ago, Riamus said:

Thanks.  I think I'll still use a custom User Data Folder and Save Games folder location for each.  I don't want to rename folders when I want to play different versions as that's cumbersome and I'd rather not have to keep track of which worlds are from which version of the game or have any risk of trying to load the wrong save.  Easier to just have my User Data folder and Saves folder for A20 set to a different location than for A21.  I already use a custom config file, so as long as I can get it to use the right config file for each version, it'll work well.  I currently have the config file set up in Steam's properties for the game.  I'm assuming I can set it up from the shortcut instead so that I can have different config files for each.  I'll have to test that to find out.  Or maybe since the config file is in the folder of the game, just having it point to it in Steam's properties will still work and it'll be looking in the folder of whichever version I load.  We'll see.  I'm sure there's a way to do that and once set up, it won't require any effort to keep things separate... just load the shortcut for the version I want to play and everything is kept nicely separate without any manual effort after getting it set up.

If you are using shortcuts to run the game there is a better way than using the config file or setting launch options in the properties. Just add it to the "target" in the shortcut, e.g. this is what I use to launch a vanilla game.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 251570 -UserDataFolder=D:\7D2D\UserDataFolder\steam -logfile D:\7D2D\UserDataFolder\steam\output_log.txt -force-d3d11 -usenativeinput -nogs

34 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

image.thumb.png.6adcb86e5ac08141f48647ced8d81d45.png

Looks like a new model to me. The dyeable rope is awesome though. Us spear players are getting treated this alpha

That's one hell of an awesome texture update... 😎

3 minutes ago, Falcon197 said:

dodge.png.e567f278722f5ecf7393374d4217c790.png

aerobics-80s (1).gif