Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

So the story or lore as you might have it that a bomb blast went off thus creating the Wasteland and radiated zombies, but I've never seen a huge crater in the game, soo I'm making one. Maybe just a suggestion if they are planning on any End-Game type of ideas.

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2023.05.17 - 14.48.24.13.png

3 hours ago, RipClaw said:

As I understand it, you can also buy magazines from the trader, but it is random which magazines the trader has in his stock. In the first dev stream you saw that trader Bob had 5 different magazines in his stock.

https://youtu.be/btVghGVsZLQ?t=3180 (53:00)

Another way to get magazines is as a reward for quests. These are also random.

And as for looting. Not everyone likes looting.

For me, it's not my favorite activity either. I do it because it's necessary, but I don't feel the excitement that many players seem to feel when they open loot containers. For me it is much more satisfying to create something.

I invest quite a bit of time in mining resources and building. Therefore, the most pressing question for me is of course about the balancing.

Yeah, I know you can get magazines in a variety of ways.  I was responding to the statement that you can't get a workbench by playing a pure builder in SP.  That would imply you can't buy it anymore.  But meganoth clarified what he meant and that makes sense.

4 hours ago, HB_H4wk said:

So the story or lore as you might have it that a bomb blast went off thus creating the Wasteland and radiated zombies, but I've never seen a huge crater in the game, soo I'm making one. Maybe just a suggestion if they are planning on any End-Game type of ideas.

I thought there was one in the unused POI stuff but maybe I'm just thinking of POI from others.

13 hours ago, Roland said:

No hate....but no vacuum either. You made yourself the spokesperson for all those voices you shared. That makes you the focus point for any disagreement over what those voices are saying. You and your people don't want the process to be one of subtraction. You only want it to be one of addition. You are calling upon the developers to see all these voices you found that match yours to convince them to end their method of removing and changing previous and existing features and instead switch to restoring what was removed and to only add to the game going forward.

Your message is understood and received. 

Thank you for the answer. I'm sorry if I pushed on too much, I won't do it again. I need to learn how to try and convince or just tell something without pushing

15 hours ago, HB_H4wk said:

In a21 you can make that crater in like 2 seconds with the new terrain tool. Last dev stream shows off the feature (Episode 4). Still, cool crater. Huge waste of time. Very gamey. I like it.

33 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

In a21 you can make that crater in like 2 seconds with the new terrain tool. Last dev stream shows off the feature (Episode 4). Still, cool crater. Huge waste of time. Very gamey. I like it.

Most nuclear warheads are designed to explode in the air which causes the shock waves to double up causing even more damage.  The ground would be pretty flat. 

2 hours ago, Aldranon said:

Most nuclear warheads are designed to explode in the air which causes the shock waves to double up causing even more damage.  The ground would be pretty flat. 

I was also thinking that crater wouldn't be a nuke crater but then I realized that this zombie infestation wouldn't be caused by nukes.  It would be some kind of bio bomb and that could end up creating a crater like that.  Even so, I think that for any crater to look realistic enough, it would have to be larger than a 150x150 tile.  Of course, I don't know what size bomb craters are, so maybe I'm wrong.

10 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I was also thinking that crater wouldn't be a nuke crater but then I realized that this zombie infestation wouldn't be caused by nukes.  It would be some kind of bio bomb and that could end up creating a crater like that.  Even so, I think that for any crater to look realistic enough, it would have to be larger than a 150x150 tile.  Of course, I don't know what size bomb craters are, so maybe I'm wrong.

A bioweapon that explodes would destroy most if not all the pathogens.  It would be some aerosol spray most likely.

On 10/10/2022 at 6:35 PM, faatal said:

Thanks for the info. I looked at that today and in testing, it both looked worse and had lower FPS than just switching to a lower resolution. FSR 2 is probably much better, but it appears a lot more complicated to integrate.

I just found out that someone has an implementation of FSR 2.2 for the built-in pipeline.

https://github.com/ndepoel/FSR2Unity

Edited by Ryiah (see edit history)

On 5/16/2023 at 4:31 PM, Roland said:

Its looking more like June all the time. This weekend is most likely out if it hasn't been announced yet and next weekend is a big holiday in the USA (which TFP observes) so...yeah.

TFP should update the fan base. Joel and Rick sounded pretty confident on mid may being the release window. They chuckled and at the mention of it getting pushed to June, indicating that Mid May would be the target date. Additionally TFP, usually don't show off new features in dev streams until it is pretty much ready for release. with the streamer weekend starting the weekend following the last dev stream. Clearly they jumped the shark on being committed to mid may for A21 release. A clear misstep. 

The annoying part is the deafening silence since the last dev stream. No communication letting the fan base know that May is now off the table and its looking to be June sometime. I understand that things pop up and I am not even mad that A21 is not releasing till June, but reading through some of these posts you can't blame people why they are upset.

I think a quick Dev stream or even a short YT video you can post all over the social media sites informing the Fan base where everything is at with A21 and provide a new projected release window would go a LONG way and calm the fan base down. perhaps if its in them a quick "sorry guys" would not be a bad idea either. show the fan base more things that are coming to A21. Don't ignore us. telling people there is a delay in the forums where <1% of the people that play this game go for information is not enough imo.

my 2 cents

Edited by Zaroff (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, Zaroff said:

Clearly they jumped the shark on being committed to mid may for A21 release. A clear misstep. 

I think you are confused. Rick actually said they were hoping for a mid May release barring any issues.  You have clearly taken that as being 'committed' to mid May.  

9 minutes ago, Zaroff said:

TFP should update the fan base. Joel and Rick sounded pretty confident on mid may being the release window. They chuckled and at the mention of it getting pushed to June, indicating that Mid May would be the target date. Additionally TFP, usually don't show off new features in dev streams until it is pretty much ready for release. with the streamer weekend starting the weekend following the last dev stream. Clearly they jumped the shark on being committed to mid may for A21 release. A clear misstep. 

The annoying part is the deafening silence since the last dev stream. No communication letting the fan base know that May is now off the table and its looking to be June sometime. I understand that things pop up and I am not even mad that A21 is not releasing till June, but reading through some of these posts you can't blame people why they are upset.

I think a quick Dev stream or even a short YT video you can post all over the social media sites informing the Fan base where everything is at with A21 and provide a new projected release window would go a LONG way and calm the fan base down. perhaps if its in them a quick "sorry guys" would not be a bad idea either. show the fan base more things that are coming to A21. Don't ignore us. telling people there is a delay in the forums where <1% of the people that play this game go for information is not enough imo.

my 2 cents

Well....May isn't off the table. It's just looking pretty unlikely due to Memorial Day Weekend being the only weekend left in May. Maybe the developers themselves will put out an official "delayed to June" announcement on their Twitter once it is clear that it definitely won't be in May if that does indeed become the case. 

It really doesn't matter how much they joked and laughed about their release time estimate during the stream. It was clearly an estimate with the golden caveat of "as long as everything goes well" attached to it. It really is silly that anyone would be upset if the release doesn't happen until June unless they considered the estimate to be a promise..

I'm all for them doing a video or a tweet with an official update of where things stand. Whether that would actually calm anyone down or not is debatable. People only want good news even though they might claim that ANY news would be wonderful.

16 minutes ago, Roland said:

People only want good news even though they might claim that ANY news would be wonderful.

I just want an official update. we can dance around the proverbial sword all we want I don't take anything to the bank unless it is coming directly from TFP themselves.  I can handle bad news just fine if they came out tonight and said "hey guys A21 is delayed till at least September or October due to XYZ reasons, sorry about that." I personally would be fine and feel good about it. sure I would be upset but you know what the Devs are communicating and they keeping us informed. You can't please everyone and I think the strategy of not talking to the Fan base until you have positive news is not a good way to go about it.

now I'm up to 3 cents

I know it is a little too late for the A21 thread, but the thread is titled Alpha 21 Dev Diary. I would expect this thread to only have posts from the Dev's or even the Mod's posting updates, or teases for A21. Instead, it's as of right now 271 pages of mostly whinners complaining about this change, or that change, or this thing being removed, or the release date. Is there any chance when the Alpha 22 Dev Diary is opened that it could be locked for only the Dev's or Mod's to post on?

There's just so much negativity from immature entitled posters that it is just sickening. I would like to think that it's mostly from teenage gamers that still sometimes behave like children, but sadly a lot of these posts are from grown @$$ adults, who behave like children that aren't getting their way.

Here I am whining about whinners, I guess that makes me a whinner, so I must be in the right thread. 😁

Edited by tman1up (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Aldranon said:

I concur that an airburst makes the most sense when dealing with zombies. It does the most damage to the target and scatters the least radiation. Folks want a radioactive wasteland and envision a crater as part of the genre. A ground detonation makes a crater and scatters much more radiation. But I'm talking ICBM-sized munitions and payloads, and I'm not sure it is fair to assume you are.

The way I rationalize 7D2D is (1) a reasoned military response, (2) small craters, and (3) the end effect being a radioactive wasteland is by having the military use more tactically scaled munitions and somehow affecting a Navezgane equivalent to the Palo Verde Generating Station creating a Chernobyl-like environment.

1 hour ago, Zaroff said:

@Roland said they won't be releasing that weekend due to it being Memorial day weekend. So its going to be June now.

No, Roland said they probably wouldn't release that weekend.  He didn't say the would not.  This is just like in the Dev Stream where they said they hoped mid-May but that it could be pushed back because of bugs.  They didn't say it would be mid-May.  They very clearly stated it could be later.  Just like Roland clearly stated it probably wouldn't be Memorial weekend.

No gaming company is under any requirement to give any release dates.  And if they do give a release date, they are under no obligation to release by then unless it's some contractual thing with the publisher and when that happens, it is usually a buggy mess because of that.  They are also not obligated to give you details of what's going on behind the scenes.  If you've been here any length of time, you'll know that TFP is often very quiet.  That's just how they are and if you expect anything else, you're going to be disappointed.  That being said, the devs do post here with info on what they are working on every so often.  faatal is great with that, for example.  So is Laz Man.  But that doesn't mean they are going to give you a step-by-step rundown of exactly what's happening and tell you exactly when things will happen.  They'll give you whatever details they choose to and you just have to be happy with what you get.  If you can't be happy with that, you're better off staying off the forum and just waiting until the release happens and be surprised by it rather than being upset if they give an estimated date and don't hit that date.  At least that way you aren't upset over hearing things that end up being incorrect.  Honestly, if they were to keep posting "We're pushing the date back a week or two because of bugs." over and over as things get in the way of the release, you'd have far more people upset than if they don't say anything.  And if they even just said "We're going to guess at a release by the end of June because of bugs." then people would be upset that it's such a long delay even if they gave that date just to avoid having to push it back if something else came up and expected a far earlier release date.  Simply put, they probably have no idea when they'll release it because they are fighting some bugs that need to be fixed before it's released and are having trouble fixing those and don't know how long that will take.  Be patient.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

No, Roland said they probably wouldn't release that weekend.  He didn't say the would not.  

No gaming company is under any requirement to give any release dates.  

Word play is never the best way to solve a problem, it's the worst. Supporting a person should make him aware of what he did wrong instead of forcing a reasonable explanation for the mistake.

I recently played VRising again and I never went to their community forums and I follow them far less than TPF, but they gave me a clear release date and released the game on time. So not all gaming companies are like you say

Good evening everyone,

Although I don't have a concrete release date for you tonight, I am to happy to share progress is still being made daily.

Just today, a particularly nasty RWG bug preventing several POIs from spawning (including tier 5 POIs) was fixed.

This bug was just uncovered yesterday and thankfully we were able to reproduce, collaborate and confirm a fix today.  Just another potential disaster averted that the public would have never know about...😅

13 hours ago, Ryiah said:

I just found out that someone has an implementation of FSR 2.2 for the built-in pipeline.

https://github.com/ndepoel/FSR2Unity

FSR 2.2 now working in built-in render pipeline games like 7 days to die, just amazing! looks like the developers of my past post and Astfgl have talked.

Hope this gets @faatal attention as soon as possible 😉

1 hour ago, Doomofman said:

Would FSR make much a difference in 7 Days? With it being more of a CPU heavy game, I feel like FSR won't help very much, but if it's easy to implement then I suppose it's an easy win?

This game has a heavy load on everything, so making it easier to draw frames in any way will benefit.
The question is whether TFP will be able to expand the plans and add to the list for the implementation of FSR. How long will it take and how long will it delay the release of a future update. A22 or later?