Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

There is one particular nasty bug  where the quest rally marker will disappear after it is activated (and not progress).

Is this the one where the quest marker disappears as soon as you are 10.0m or closer and will reappear if you move more than 10.0m away from it?  That one is always frustrating.  Of course, so is the one where it just disappears and stays gone.  Both can be fixed by starting the game again but that's usually not worth it and I just cancel the quest or at least leave it until another day if I don't care about doing more quests for that trader.

I actually saw a *blue* quest marker recently.  Never saw that before.  It was next to the yellow one.  The other player on the game was indicated by blue and I don't know if that just happened to be that they also had a quest there but that has been the case before and I've never seen a blue quest marker before.  Very odd.  Gotta love odd stuff.  :D

3 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Exactly. At least that is what I saw a lot of times. At best they place some wood spikes but that is it. No further reinforcements. Often gas stations or POIs like the working stiff are used because they are sturdy and have only one way to lead up to the roof.

I think this will stay a possible way to fight horde night, at least in early and mid-game. TFP could  put weak blocks into its most sturdy building. Either as damaged blocks or fake-blocks (i.e. wood blocks that look like concrete). That would make this take a little more work.

I don't see how TFP could change this any other way without changing the rest of the game fundamentally. It would be a fix similar to the horde-night vultures attacking players on vehicles (with probably the same level of complaints about "destroying my playstyle")

11 hours ago, Mister Forgash said:

I would like to weigh in on this with my observations. Prefaced that everyone's experience is a little different and we don't yet know the entirety of values tweaked in A21.

I play solo, but I also play with 2 of my friends. When I play with my dudes, the typical day, especially in the first couple days,  2 of us run around and the other stays out and chops wood. He farms straight until an hour or two from dark, then begins building, from scratch. Where he was a little behind the first night, he's far ahead of us by morning. Soon he makes cobble stone his mission.
What I'm getting at is this. In terms of raw experience gain- undertaking a building project is the fastest way to get there. Personally, I believe it could use a 5-10%(?) nerf due to how eschew it is in terms of time invested to XP ratio, even if you have to spend large chunks of that time obtaining resources. - But that might really make the "They're going to ruin building! There's absolute no reason to build any more, EVER" crowd think they're being targeted.

... C'mon guys, you know you're digging/chopping XP to plaster it to your walls, right? Is that not reason enough

Ripclaw got a point because XP is not the only progression in the game. And unlike A20 **item** progression is now unobtainable with XP alone. In A21 you won't get a workbench if you play a pure builder in SP. He actually may have to mod the game in the future.

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

I think this will stay a possible way to fight horde night, at least in early and mid-game. TFP could  put weak blocks into its most sturdy building. Either as damaged blocks or fake-blocks (i.e. wood blocks that look like concrete). That would make this take a little more work.

@Laz Man hinted in a recent post that newer POIs will be designed so that the AI has multiple paths to the top. That should make things more interesting when it comes to last minute bases.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Aldranon said:

THIS! 

This is exactly how "Damage Control" should be handled if a release day (or month) is missed.  (An approximate percent complete would prevent the need for it)

Like the police quote: "Just the facts, Ma'am".

No need to troll or counter-troll people who are annoyed and disappointed and vent something less than helpful.

94%

4 minutes ago, Morloc said:

So, about 25 more days.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

For me, if it's not this weekend, I'm ok with 25 days haha

Though if it is that far off, I wouldn't mind another stream, a playthrough of some sorts

Well I'm sorry about posting these collages, however I did say in the first one that I was probably going to receive hate, which I really did get. That's okay. Was making them with good intentions, though 😔, but apparently it got received very bad. Said multiple times that I wasn't hating on you guys, but you did hate on me for trying to raise awareness. Cool.

7 hours ago, FinkPloyd said:

I am embarrassed if an end user finds a bug in my code during User Acceptance Testing, as it shows the testers and I did not do enough Unit Testing / System Integration Testing.

No reason at all to be embarrassed for that.  As developers, we know how it's supposed to work, and we have that burned into our brains.  You can never guess what weird ways end-users will end up interacting with your project.  "It crashes when I do this.."   But WHY on earth would you even do THAT?   You can't completely idiot-proof anything because you can never second guess what an idiot might do.....   😉

39 minutes ago, Burrfly said:

Well I'm sorry about posting these collages, however I did say in the first one that I was probably going to receive hate, which I really did get. That's okay. Was making them with good intentions, though 😔, but apparently it got received very bad. Said multiple times that I wasn't hating on you guys, but you did hate on me for trying to raise awareness. Cool.

Can you quote anyone who "hated on you" instead of just disagreeing? :confused2:

1 hour ago, Burrfly said:

honestly, all that collage shows is that dissatisfied people is most likely to be vocal about something.
happens all the time everywhere. 
buy a product on amazon. likes it. keep going.
something wrong with it. 110% making sure to go and leave a 1 star review about it.

You see this everywhere. Upset/dissatisfied folks are far more likely to leave a review than happy folks. Happy ppl just carry on with their lives, use the thing as they want, and move on. Upset ppl will let you know what is wrong (rightly or wrongly).

2 hours ago, Burrfly said:

No hate....but no vacuum either. You made yourself the spokesperson for all those voices you shared. That makes you the focus point for any disagreement over what those voices are saying. You and your people don't want the process to be one of subtraction. You only want it to be one of addition. You are calling upon the developers to see all these voices you found that match yours to convince them to end their method of removing and changing previous and existing features and instead switch to restoring what was removed and to only add to the game going forward.

Your message is understood and received. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

8 hours ago, meganoth said:

Ripclaw got a point because XP is not the only progression in the game. And unlike A20 **item** progression is now unobtainable with XP alone. In A21 you won't get a workbench if you play a pure builder in SP. He actually may have to mod the game in the future.

You can't still buy them?  Granted, that means using a trader, which some people won't do.  It would be strange to me to see a solo player only building (or building and mining), but I suppose it happens.

3 hours ago, Burrfly said:

There wasn't any hate anywhere.  I read through all the posts and not one of them was hate.  Lots of people disagreeing with you.  Disagreement isn't hate regardless how the world (at least in the US) treats it these days.  Everyone is welcome to their own opinions and if they don't agree with others, that isn't hate.  It's simply a different opinion.

Honestly, the combination of not one but two collages of handpicked reviews combined with this just starts to feel trolling.  The collages by themselves don't but if you're now saying disagreements are hate, I start to wonder.

13 hours ago, Aldranon said:

I decided to find another game to play that was considered similar to 7D2D.

So, I bought "Project Zombiod" because some sadistic person told me it was very close to 7D2D...

No.  No it is not.  

The graphics are 1980's look down and I didn't realize just how immersion breaking and clumsy that is for what should be a FPS.

The game goes out of its way to kill you.   Which I kind of like.

Try The Infected it's a single player game with a little less zombies but the bears and alligators are dangerous, there's also some looting and lots of crafting. Ive been playing that on and off while creating POI's in the editor.

Edited by HB_H4wk
more info :P (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

You can't still buy them?  Granted, that means using a trader, which some people won't do.  It would be strange to me to see a solo player only building (or building and mining), but I suppose it happens.

As I understand it, you can also buy magazines from the trader, but it is random which magazines the trader has in his stock. In the first dev stream you saw that trader Bob had 5 different magazines in his stock.

https://youtu.be/btVghGVsZLQ?t=3180 (53:00)

Another way to get magazines is as a reward for quests. These are also random.

And as for looting. Not everyone likes looting.

For me, it's not my favorite activity either. I do it because it's necessary, but I don't feel the excitement that many players seem to feel when they open loot containers. For me it is much more satisfying to create something.

I invest quite a bit of time in mining resources and building. Therefore, the most pressing question for me is of course about the balancing.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

Yes, you can buy them. But the question is whether you can progress at an acceptable speed with traders alone. It isn't workbenches alone, trap, weapon and tool crafting depends on magazines. And the trader often has parts instead of complete weapons or tools. 

I'm not saying it is impossible. It is just not known yet if it will still be a viable way to play the game. We won't know until someone tries it out.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

59 minutes ago, HB_H4wk said:

Try The Infected it's a single player game with a little less zombies but the bears and alligators are dangerous, there's also some looting and lots of crafting. Ive been playing that on and off while creating POI's in the editor.

Ive been playing The Infected off and on since at least V3.  Rather different than 7D2D, less enemies but each can be more dangerous than basic zombies if not properly equipped.  Armor is harder to come by early on.  No guns and the dev says there never will be.