Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

12 hours ago, HB_H4wk said:

Your answer to a question about how many zombies in a POI makes me feel like I have been abusing players on my server when I can pack almost 400 zombies in a partially collapsed Shopping mall that measures 60x100 that I created.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you play with alot of people on your server.

Certainly infestation numbers are alot but I know I have seen much higher numbers in user created POIs such as the CompoPack.

Keep in the mind there are several reasons we use lower zombie counts.

One reason is we have to make sure 8 players can be questing the most populated POIs at the same time as that is the official maximum number of players we support.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

@Laz ManIs there a reason why we have so few underground POIs?Are there any problems with their placement in the RWG?Or is it a depth restriction?Mines, bunkers, abandoned metro stations, half-flooded underground caves.We got a water update, maybe some POI using water.What are your thoughts on this?

One thing I'm really curious about, especially since it wasn't shown during the dev streams - how much vehicle damage does a single repair kit repair at 0 points in Grease Monkey in A21? They were happy to show us the amount of damage taken, but neglected to show us the other side of it.

THIS IS NOT PERSONAL nor meant as an attack on anybody... but... some things just need to be left for the players to experience themselves.. :) we cant (or shouldnt expose everything or the player doesnt need to get into the game and or wont be surprised).

so here is just a very small hint

A21.0_2023-05-06_16-14-11.jpg

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

2 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

THIS IS NOT PERSONAL nor meant as an attack on anybody... but... some things just need to be left for the players to experience themselves.. :) we cant (or shouldnt expose everything or the player doesnt need to get into the game and or wont be surprised).

This "hint" was on one of the early streams )

2 minutes ago, Survager said:

This "hint" was on one of the early streams )

yep I know and I will not divulge undisclosed info as I have said before, just re-iterating on something that was answered before... what the devs do and others is not my concern so i will not reveal little secrets without permission... sorry. :)

43 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

yep I know and I will not divulge undisclosed info as I have said before, just re-iterating on something that was answered before... what the devs do and others is not my concern so i will not reveal little secrets without permission... sorry. :)

I understand 😉

Edited by Survager (see edit history)

On the stream, we saw how the chain disappears on the bike when bike is completely broken.

Do you plan in the future to make other vehicles partially lose some visual parts?

For example, at 50-75-100%, the jeep could lose one headlight, then one exhaust pipe and at the end the top lid of the hood

image.png.0fd363a67380543fb75edb33121814d9.pngimage.png.9e0233cef04ddce18e46aed51d642b26.png

Another question concerns "improving the quality of life" in the game.
The stream showed how convenient it is now to go to recipes directly from the crafting progress menu, without having to manually search for the desired recipe.

Do you plan to do something similar with the pinned recipe that appears at the top right so that you can close it without having to look for it in the list of recipes?

image.jpeg.e62cb3052f622cf9a84df302cc740362.jpeg

Edited by Survager (see edit history)

3 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

Yeah no, not at all a personal attack. That doesn't tell us much, but thanks. Maybe next time do it without the snark? Not necessary. Not that hard to act like a professional.

5 hours ago, Old Crow said:

One thing I'm really curious about, especially since it wasn't shown during the dev streams - how much vehicle damage does a single repair kit repair at 0 points in Grease Monkey in A21? They were happy to show us the amount of damage taken, but neglected to show us the other side of it.

I know I saw in one of the dev streams when they used repair kits on the 4x4.  IIRC, it was about 25% per kit.  Of course, I have no idea if they had any points put into perks, though I kind of doubt it because Lathan always seemed to be starting with nothing and just giving himself weapons and ammo and stuff, so probably didn't have any points to use.  Note that I could be wrong about that number.  I can't remember for certain but I am mostly sure it was about 25% each when they showed it in the stream.  Unfortunately I don't remember which stream (I don't think it was the last one) and I don't want to try and find it.  :)

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

I know I saw in one of the dev streams when they used repair kits on the 4x4.  IIRC, it was about 25% per kit.  Of course, I have no idea if they had any points put into perks, though I kind of doubt it because Lathan always seemed to be starting with nothing and just giving himself weapons and ammo and stuff, so probably didn't have any points to use.  Note that I could be wrong about that number.  I can't remember for certain but I am mostly sure it was about 25% each when they showed it in the stream.  Unfortunately I don't remember which stream (I don't think it was the last one) and I don't want to try and find it.  :)

Thanks for that. I've watched all four but missed that part. 25% per kit's pretty good if that's the correct % unbuffed.

4 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Yeah no, not at all a personal attack. That doesn't tell us much, but thanks. Maybe next time do it without the snark? Not necessary. Not that hard to act like a professional.

Last I checked, BOLDING WORDS LIKE THIS is meant to draw attention to them, to better get across the meaning of what is being said. That's not snark. That's simply ensuring those reading said bolded words get the idea.

1 hour ago, Alloy1 said:

Last I checked, BOLDING WORDS LIKE THIS is meant to draw attention to them, to better get across the meaning of what is being said. That's not snark. That's simply ensuring those reading said bolded words get the idea.

OR.. they could have left that first sentence out entirely. No reason to say that part to begin with if it wasn't aimed at anyone.

26 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

OR.. they could have left that first sentence out entirely. No reason to say that part to begin with if it wasn't aimed at anyone.

Or maybe you could just stop trying so hard to be offended by everything.  People are just far too thin skinned these days.

Well, I've noticed that some people develop an extra sensitivity to comments when release dates are near and unknown.  Good or bad, it's a human thing.   Added to that, people just see the words of the post and not the emotional intent of the sender's message or even the history of their posts (are they normally easy-going posts or the wound up a bit too tight kind?).

That we all love the game shows in every impassioned comment, even the angry or peevish ones (the opposite of love is indifference, not hate).

So, if its May it will be the 22nd most likely due to holidays.

9 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

THIS IS NOT PERSONAL nor meant as an attack on anybody... but... some things just need to be left for the players to experience themselves..

You can experience it for yourself but we cannot yet. Until we can find out for ourselves, there will continue to be speculation based on what you saw in the stream. And that's kind of like watching a demolition derby to prepare for your driver's test.

4 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

You can experience it for yourself but we cannot yet. Until we can find out for ourselves, there will continue to be speculation based on what you saw in the stream. And that's kind of like watching a demolition derby to prepare for your driver's test.

I gain a lot of information from the watching streamer weekend; some streamers are better for new players and some that assume you want as much information as possible. 

What I never gain from watching however, is that initial feeling I get from starting the new version myself, SP and "dead is DEAD". 

It's wonderful. 

19 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

I gain a lot of information from the watching streamer weekend; some streamers are better for new players and some that assume you want as much information as possible. 

The most important information I take away from streamer weekends is how to avoid the mistakes of others.

What I never gain from watching however, is that initial feeling I get from starting the new version myself, SP and "dead is DEAD". 

It's wonderful. 

I never play dead is dead. In my opinion, you learn nothing because you never really overcome what killed you. You just start over an yet again you have only easy to kill zombies.

In A17 I died a lot but every time I learned something. If I had started over every time, I would have forgotten the lesson before I got to the same point again.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

The most important information I take away from streamer weekends is how to avoid the mistakes of others.

That's a bit derogatory... Most streamers, however, also make mistakes for the sake of entertainment.

Also, not everyone plays just for efficiency and effectiveness. It's a game, and games are supposed to be for having fun.

42 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

That's a bit derogatory... Most streamers, however, also make mistakes for the sake of entertainment.

It does not matter. I can still learn something from it.

For example, yesterday I saw a video of Z1 for the game Hydroneer. There he had a quest to make a sword out of 3 different metals. He made the mistake of arranging the metals in the wrong order on the anvil. Whether the mistake was made for entertainment or not, I now know that the order is important in this game.

47 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Also, not everyone plays just for efficiency and effectiveness. It's a game, and games are supposed to be for having fun.

Not everyone has to. Fun is something subjective.
Some people enjoy building a huge factory in Satisfactory, others enjoy running around in Battlefield and shooting at everything that moves.

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

I never play dead is dead. In my opinion, you learn nothing because you never really overcome what killed you. You just start over an yet again you have only easy to kill zombies.

In A17 I died a lot but every time I learned something. If I had started over every time, I would have forgotten the lesson before I got to the same point again.

What I have found for myself anyway: When I play dead-is-dead, it's like the game zooms in to become much more interesting.

I used to die from sloppy game play and excessive risk tasking.   Now, early game, I will make pipe weapons ASAP (pistol and shotgun for the DPS, rifle for food hunting) so if I run out of stamina, I will not die.  Late game, I carry three High DPS, High-Cap weapons on the hot bar.  It more than I will need 99% of the time, it's for that 1% I do it. 

So, playing Dead-is-dead for me brings the game into crystal clarity and it been a long long time since I lost a character.  But A21 is a new and different beast... We shall see! :)

4 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Not everyone has to. Fun is something subjective.
Some people enjoy building a huge factory in Satisfactory, others enjoy running around in Battlefield and shooting at everything that moves.

You misunderstood. I wasn't talking about the type of play style (and by the way, mine is more similar to yours than you think), I was talking about metagaming.

But if metagaming is your poison, by any means, go for it!