Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

37 minutes ago, Roland said:

Fine…Skeletal chickens and rabbits. 

With big nasty pointy teeth!

1 hour ago, khzmusik said:

Can we all just take a breath for a second, and say thank you to TFP for putting in all the new windows and doors? They look awesome.

Yes! Super excited for the double vault doors.

14 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Great point.  Some people may not notice it, but in level design we intentionally control the pace at which how many zombies the player is engaged with at the same time.  A normal T1 POI with 9 zombies now with 18 sounds trivial at first but when you consider how many you need to deal with at a time, it suddenly is alot more challenging.  I am sure there will be alot of fun to be had. :)

I loved that Earl guy in the Stream. Well he is named after my favourite tea, and also has mad skills doing  POIs. I'd love to see tier 6s from him. And cave POIs, lots of cave POIs. Shape guy is also my sassy hero, I like his beard and no nonsense attitude. Earl though, unbelievable nice guy.

After seeing the Streams and the new HUD Element of the locations with danger levels:
Is it possible to remove the "ping" sound of secured zones (like the trader zone) and implement the info about the "safe" area into the new HUD element (maybe another Background Color or showing the places name in green, etc.)?
Would be then a visual indicator instead of an acoustic one.
image.png.5498daaf3c016f93435ee0ccfafc86b1.png

This aggressive sound is disturbing a bit. Or is it possible to mod the sound to be silent?

Edited by Larry_Flynt (see edit history)

3 hours ago, khzmusik said:

Can we all just take a breath for a second, and say thank you to TFP for putting in all the new windows and doors? They look awesome.

Microsoft has been doing windows for years, yet nobody thanks them.

And by the way, I didn't thank those who built my house for putting all the windows and doors in... it's just expected. :heh:

was there any statement about the danger meter can be toggled on/off in the game options?

Now that I have seen it a few times during the dev streams, I still cannot see the use of it.

Or in other words, I don't want to use it, I want to explore stuff for myself,

and not more or less being told what I run into, right on arrival.

Doesn't this even the thrill away a lil bit?

When you want to explore a poi, and then a seemingly harmless building has e.g. an elaborate undergrund part, so you realize at some point that you can't make it yet.

For me, this always motivated me to come back later when I'm better prepared/geared.

This "drive-by danger assessment" even feels a bit cheesy in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

Doesn't this even the thrill away a lil bit?

When you want to explore a poi, and then a seemingly harmless building has e.g. an elaborate undergrund part, so you realize at some point that you can't make it yet.

But it can also work the other way around. You pass a POI that you would normally ignore because it seems small and uninteresting, but the danger meter tells you that there is more to it than meets the eye. Now your interest is piqued.

I don't think in the first iteration this feature can be disabled, but if what we've heard about the plans new UI in A22+ is true, it will be possible to hide individual elements.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Microsoft has been doing windows for years, yet nobody thanks them.

And by the way, I didn't thank those who built my house for putting all the windows and doors in... it's just expected. :heh:

Some people are more thankful in life than others.  Are you offended he is thankful for something?

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

You pass a POI that you would normally ignore because it seems small and uninteresting, but the danger meter tells you that there is more to it than meets the eye. Now your interest is piqued.

Yes there might be some cases where that point applies.

But I am afraid that in general, the danger meter will only lead to many more pois are being skipped.

You just drive by and say "...nope....nope...nope..." to places you'd otherwise maybe investigated further because they look promising.

11 hours ago, Roland said:

Fine…Skeletal chickens and rabbits. 

haha no. I hate silly enemies.

How zombie should looks like ( + types)  ?

like no more room in hell 2 mixed with zombie variants from RE2 and 3 .

No silly ones but keep serious setting 

Zdjęcie

Resident Evil 2' Remake Review: Visceral Zombies, Limited Apocalypse

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

haha no. I hate silly enemies.

How zombie should looks like ( + types)  ?

like no more room in hell 2 mixed with zombie variants from RE2 and 3 .

No silly ones but keep serious setting 

Zdjęcie

Resident Evil 2' Remake Review: Visceral Zombies, Limited Apocalypse

First picture should be used by lighting artist for city environment lighting. Period.

EDIT: bust most importantly modular zombies, to finalize the AAA quality of the product.

Edited by Cr0wst0rm (see edit history)

I know that one of the dudes on the level design team talked about it on the dev stream—finally got around to watching it and I'm so frickin' excited—about the different decoration and touch-up passes done to current POIs to make the interiors tighter and more realistic. The previews shown in the stream were incredible; y'all did a fantastic job at both reducing the footprint of the buildings while also adding so much more detail that the houses feel real and lived in. I think it was a house_modular with a new updated bandit-style design and one of the.... was it house_modern's? Might have been a bungalow, my memory is crap lol.

What I was wondering is how many of the less-"realistic" sized POIs got this treatment from the team as of current, and how many more are left before A21? (My mind immediately goes to the bungalow series, they're quite large for how small a bungalow is in real life)

And since I saw them shown off in the one cabin POI showcased, is it only the one hedge decoration block (the square-ish one), or are there a couple of variants to break up the monotony of it (similar vein as well: is the, I think it's an Azalea bush, been retired in favor of the newer, high quality hedges)?

39 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

There are "wandering" hordes/flocks of zombie birds that can spwan instead of "regular" wandering hordes of "ex-human" zombies?

never happened to me.

You sure we're still talking about vanilla?

Yep. Vanilla. Ever come out of a building and notice that there were a bunch of buzzards circling in the area that weren't there when you showed up? Vulture hordes are allot more noticeable in the forest and snow areas. Though like normal spawn vultures noise isn't what they home in on, unlike ground based enemies, so the vultures hordes tend to drift and disperse unless they spot an injured player or someone on/in a damaged vehicle. Biggest one I dealt with was ten strong on day 120. Normally they're in groups of 3-5.

I also don't have an issue taking a peak at the console to see if I can figure out why in the heck I was getting a lag spike. Vulture hordes are among what has popped up as being spawned in when I did. Iirc the spawn in lag was supposed to be smoothed out in A20, but from what I've seen people are still running into wandering horde spawn lag spikes.

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

I saw a flock of vultures' attack Jawodle in a stream in the Infecdted Mod (Also a small horde of "Grace" super pigs).

Interesting Mod.

Pretty sure the ones you are referring to from his vid were actually sleepers from that giant POI he was driving partly through when it happened. Could be wrong though.

1 hour ago, hiemfire said:

So buzzard horde? Like already spawns in the game?

Similar... but these should attack you no matter what your health is. :cool2:

36 minutes ago, minisith said:

I do not know how being thankful in life is being tyrant....

Everything can be offensive! Don't you know? :suspicious:

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

Здравствуйте, уважаемые разработчики. Я так с нетерпением ждал новой альфы, что долго не держался и решил хоть немного поиграть в альфу 20. Когда я создавал случайный мир, я бродил пару минут и первое, что я встретил из городских объектов, это ветеринарная клиника)) Там я увидел кабинки и несколько ошейников. Может быть, вы, ребята, все еще не откажетесь от идеи добавить домашних питомцев в игру? На самом деле есть собаки-зомби, есть волки. Мне кажется, что к бандитам тоже не мешало бы добавить собак-помощников. Как и сам игрок. Дрон классный, но он не заменяет моего настоящего компаньона. Мне слишком одиноко, чтобы бродить по пустошам. Я играю 7 дней почти всегда в одиночестве. И этот кусок металла даже не живой. Я умоляю вас добавить в игру ручных собак, пожалуйста, я умоляю вас, разработчиков. Вы почти создали шедевр, не надо его портить, пожалуйста. Повторюсь, я собрал 1300 баксов и готов отправить их вам в качестве пожертвования, если вы сможете добавить систему питомцев. Что уж говорить о сложности путей: мне кажется, что спутник может просто телепортироваться к вам. Это делается в большинстве игр и не вызывает никакой агрессии у игроков.

21 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Similar... but these should attack you no matter what your health is. :cool2:

I sense an evil so great it suffocates all inkling of hope...

Edit: Great.. It's soundtrack is Sheagorath's broken record player stuck on a pressing about how much they have to have a puppy.

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)