Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

@Roland

II like the sex rex change ALOT, it frees up skill points.  Also,   not unlocking recipes via skill points also frees up points (which is also amazing).   This must feel great to play more freely and have points to spend.  However-- does it make the game way easier since you have tons of skill points to spare and put wherever you want?   or are there challenges that offset this?

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

Devs, I have the best idea for a late addition to the new version.

This infection thing.  In all the movies and shows and books, a person once bitten or infected can turn at any time.

PLEASE add this functionality to group play.  This would provoke the same type of self serving actions.....you don't want to tell your buddies you got bit because then you are a liability.  Maybe you'll find some honey or antibiotics before you turn.

Starting at 50% infection, a player character has a small chance to turn.  Player becomes a full NPC zombie with your gear.  As infection progresses, the chance gets higher for player turning.  Maybe some small indicators, like losing control for 15 seconds where the character will just stand there appearing dazed.

I know the rest of you all hate me now, but this would be a great addition to a classic zombie trope in this game.  TYVM  :)

image.png.8480eff0638d06dcfbb5dd5081bb9895.png

Whoa mama! Hummina hummina hummina bazooooooooing! *eyes pop out* AROOOOOOOOGA! *jaw drops tongue rolls out* WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WURBLWUBRLBWURblrwurblwurlbrwubrlwburlwbruwrlblwublr *tiny cupid shoots an arrow through heart* Ahhhhhhhhhhh me lady... *heart in the shape of a heart starts beating so hard you can see it through shirt* ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum *

On 3/16/2022 at 2:02 PM, Roland said:

Crafting Recipe Tracker can be toggled to show on the HUD to help players as they gather materials needed for crafting

I dunno about this.

Will this be like the hand-holding given when crafting a bow etc. in the initial quest?

I see the words "can be toggled", so I suppose all is well.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

6 minutes ago, Morloc said:

I dunno about this.

Will this be like the hand-holding given when crafting a bow etc. in the initial quest?

Unless I'm not understanding correctly, it doesn't show the player the locations of needed items like the opening quest. It simply pins the recipe in the corner of the HUD to show what items are needed. I don't see any hand holding here. Just convenience.

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Morloc said:

I dunno about this.

On the HUD it is exactly like the initial quest where it lists and tracks the materials you need to collect to complete your recipe. But there is no hand holding in the sense of beacons pointing out where to get the mats.

And yes it is entirely optional. There is a button you click if you want the tracker to appear for a recipe.

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Do you know how many bug reports we would get from a feature like this?

Ah....true.  That's why I play the games, not make 'em.

Think it'd be a great addition.  The sound design has always been awesome in this game, maybe a feral whisper in your ear as infection proceeds.  ;)

4 minutes ago, GoofMcGee said:

Ah....true.  That's why I play the games, not make 'em.

Think it'd be a great addition.  The sound design has always been awesome in this game, maybe a feral whisper in your ear as infection proceeds.  ;)

There used to whispers in game a very long time ago it would be cool to have them back when in cities almost like they are haunted but I highly doubt they'll be back.

54 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

Unless I'm not understanding correctly, it doesn't show the player the locations of needed items like the opening quest. It simply pins the recipe in the corner of the HUD to show what items are needed. I don't see any hand holding here. Just convenience.

52 minutes ago, Roland said:

On the HUD it is exactly like the initial quest where it lists and tracks the materials you need to collect to complete your recipe. But there is no hand holding in the sense of beacons pointing out where to get the mats.

Ok, that could be cool :)

31 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

There used to whispers in game a very long time ago it would be cool to have them back when in cities almost like they are haunted but I highly doubt they'll be back.

Most people speak fondly of those whispers. I wouldn't throw the towel in on 'em just yet.

@Roland, can I ask you something vague? How do you feel the trader progression has become from a20 to a21?

We know of many changes, loot progression overhaul, price rebalance for water and food, workstations and many other items, deleted secret stash with better balance for leveled weapon rewards an rewards in general, etc,

but a bit of sexy feedback would give us a bit of glue to stick those changes into a hype notion.

Thanks in advance.

Been following this thread for a while, tons of hours in the game. I'm a little sad Sexy Rex is going away. Not for game mechanics reasons, thats definitely a positive. When I first started playing 7D2D, my friends who introduced me either hadn't seen Predator or didn't remember the scene. I hope we can get maybe an item like say chewing tobacco that gives like health or stamina regen and the flavor text can be "turns you into a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus" 

2 hours ago, NekoPawtato said:

Is there a limit to how many recipes we can track at once?

It uses the active quest selector so only one at a time can be displayed on the screen and if your crafting recipe is displayed the quest marker for any current quest will not. There may be further development on it.

3 hours ago, Roland said:

It uses the active quest selector so only one at a time can be displayed on the screen and if your crafting recipe is displayed the quest marker for any current quest will not. There may be further development on it.

I would assume that even a few simultaneously open would clog up your HUD too bad.

Or at least the amount of info/icons could get confusing and therefore not helpful anymore.

14 hours ago, Roland said:

And yes it is entirely optional. There is a button you click if you want the tracker to appear for a recipe.

I totally missed this discussion.

So this is basically a "pin recipe" feature, similar to what they have in Subnautica: Below Zero?

If so, that is very cool, it's a QoL feature that was sorely missing from 7D2D. (There is a mod that does it, but it's always better if the feature is in the vanilla game.)

EDIT: I guess not. I missed this:

6 hours ago, Roland said:

I do hope it turns into more of a "pinned recipe" feature. I guess we'll see how it developed when A21 drops.

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)