KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

37 minutes ago, paulj_3 said:

Just an FYI for KS:  13.1 worked fine for me yesterday following the release . . . I created the list using the name "poislist.txt", and saved it in the Prefabs folder, just as I did in the previous releases, and made a couple of (playable) maps. I had no issues. After reading Shem's post, this morning - I checked the file and it looked quite normal. I then deleted the txt file, loaded KingGen, and proceeded to re-make the list, using the same "poislist.txt" name. The KG GUI showed the process as "running", and ended after a few seconds. I then selected "custom list" in the "POIs list" listbox; the Windows Explorer popped up, with the "poislist.txt" file appearing correctly in the browser window, automatically replacing "custom list" correctly in the "POIs list" listbox.  I made a playable third map without issue.

pj

pois.JPG

think iam weird now..... 

ok, if its correct for you. then i try checking my settings.. .hmmm...

Ah GOT IT !

I have a directory called "backup" with my prefab backups in my "/Data/Prefabs/" dir! i moved this backup dir out of the prefabs dir and kinggen works fine :)

if there is a second directory in the prefabs directory, kinggen generates an empty poislist !

Edited by Shemasheko (see edit history)

"if there is a second directory in the prefabs directory, kinggen generates an empty poislist"

Wow!  Well done! This is good to know. I wondered about placing the pois list inside that folder too, but it has worked that way since day one. Naming doesn't seem to matter either.

38 minutes ago, AndrewT said:

Not tryin to rush ya man but hows that Texas map comin along kaptcrunch

Not even close man, months off, Ive got a lot of other stuff already in the works. I would guess mid A20.

1 hour ago, Life_For_Dead said:

Thanks for this little tool but there's a problem... 

The section "Cities, Towns & Villages" is broken, KG don't want to respect setting.

I try build a little map 4k one city set to be small but after many generate it's always large, city cover spawn nearly 25% of the map...

This is definitely not a 'little tool'. I would recommend watching the video series on the tool to learn all the functionality.

On 8/14/2021 at 4:34 PM, pApA^LeGBa said:

Worked fine for a few generations, now i keep getting this every time i try. Using the same settings but different name and seed.

Generating heightmap.
Generating biomes.
Generating cities.
Generating water.
Generating roads.
Generating villages.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "crash_log.py", line 19, in handle_crash_log
  File "gui_generation.py", line 27, in generate
  File "ntime.py", line 11, in ntime
  File "world.py", line 1301, in run
  File "world.py", line 272, in generate
  File "world.py", line 349, in gen_villages
  File "world.py", line 393, in gen_villages_forest
  File "hub_factory.py", line 79, in gen_hub
  File "city.py", line 46, in __init__
  File "city.py", line 53, in generate
  File "city.py", line 125, in gen_grid
IndexError: too many indices for array: array is 1-dimensional, but 2 were indexed

this looks like a bug, could you share the settings that you used?

5 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I will try my best, i did some different maps after that, but i think i should be able to reproduce them. It still happened after my post with different settgins but not as frequently as before.

Don't worry. I found what caused the crash. I will fix it in KG 14... In the meantime just generate untill you get a working world

12 hours ago, Cpt Krunch said:

This is definitely not a 'little tool'. I would recommend watching the video series on the tool to learn all the functionality.

-_- xDDD

I said "a little tool" but that doesn't mean "incomplete/simple" tool with less options/functionality...

It's not complicated at this point to see a video to know how to set a city to small...

I used Nitrogen who are not complicated too...

Or will you said maybe I miss a second option (or whatever) to re-set again city to small??? I don't think so...

Just see my result here & what I set: https://postimg.cc/bDJ60P2B

Edit: But for a another thing, here maybe my fault, but there's is no road, we have to draw them ourselves? It's not automatic?

Edited by Life_For_Dead (see edit history)

58 minutes ago, Life_For_Dead said:

-_- xDDD

I said "a little tool" but that doesn't mean "incomplete/simple" tool with less options/functionality...

It's not complicated at this point to see a video to know how to set a city to small...

Or will you said maybe I miss a second option (or whatever) to re-set again city to small??? I don't think so...

Edit: But for a another thing, here maybe my fault, but there's is no road, we have to draw them ourselves? It's not automatic?

The lack of roads and the one city location is based on your settings.

Instead of having towns set to 0 and villages set to few, switch those two settings.  In addition, change grid sizes from medium to small.  Since you are trying to generate a 4k map, you don't have enough land for medium size cities / towns and have them spread out.  You can either have a large city on the map or smaller ones spread out.  You will still get some maps with everything in one location but you will also start getting some that are spread out with roads connecting.

Since you have it set to villages (instead of towns), it is not drawing roads onto the map.

Note:  These are just my observations, KingSlayer would be more knowledgeable as he created the tool.

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Life_For_Dead said:

-_- xDDD

Best thing is to use the masking functionality, which will help with city size

19 hours ago, Cpt Krunch said:

Not even close man, months off, Ive got a lot of other stuff already in the works. I would guess mid A20.

alright man. at least i know there's gonna be a map shaped like Texas eventually and that's what I'm excited about. but i did want to ask u what are your thoughts on the idea on having full map generation control such as controlling where biomes towns and cities spawn? I came up with this because people would want to put large cities in say a Texas map where the Texas cities are in real life for realistic accuracy. second because states and countries have biomes in certain areas, Texas for instance is woods and plains aka forest biome in the north and east while south and west Texas are a desert, and because this is the zombie apocalypse we're talking about here i would like to see the wasteland spawn in the exact same locations as the real life cities and within the city boundaries. I know that was a huge mouthful but full control over biome town and city spawning would be interesting and would definitely bring more creative freedom.

KingSlayer I know i already mentioned it but considering how interesting it would be. do u think full control over biome town and city spawning in custom maps could be possible?

35 minutes ago, AndrewT said:

alright man. at least i know there's gonna be a map shaped like Texas eventually and that's what I'm excited about. but i did want to ask u what are your thoughts on the idea on having full map generation control such as controlling where biomes towns and cities spawn? I came up with this because people would want to put large cities in say a Texas map where the Texas cities are in real life for realistic accuracy. second because states and countries have biomes in certain areas, Texas for instance is woods and plains aka forest biome in the north and east while south and west Texas are a desert, and because this is the zombie apocalypse we're talking about here i would like to see the wasteland spawn in the exact same locations as the real life cities and within the city boundaries. I know that was a huge mouthful but full control over biome town and city spawning would be interesting and would definitely bring more creative freedom.

KingSlayer I know i already mentioned it but considering how interesting it would be. do u think full control over biome town and city spawning in custom maps could be possible?

Its possible already. Its a few steps, but not at all hard to do. I could do everything you just asked for in 2-3 days max. Draw the biomes, prep the population areas, plan out your towns and cities, then build a mask around that. Easy easy stuff.

The one thing I would need to get my hands on for this map is a real clear topographic map in order to plan and adjust the heights a bit more realistic. Other than that, just take into account either the need to create some area with snow, or mod the biomes in order to put the winter ores into another biome and done.

If you really want to get fancy, maybe a few Texas specific prefabs, Alamo, maybe a few others.

20 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I just ran it again setting everything back to default settings and running a 4k map.  I generated two maps and both have cities / towns / villages spaced out and with roads.  Using same version you are.

https://imgur.com/a/pz4RwMk

19 hours ago, Cpt Krunch said:

Best thing is to use the masking functionality, which will help with city size

I find it, it's my bad... I try "large" & "small" to see the difference & so in fact the size "small" with KG build city/town bigger than the "small" with Nitrogen & so it's for that I was said city was every time bigger... In fact my opinion is "small" with KG should be built city/town at 50% less bigger than currently...

& for any road missing, KG don't build it like Nitrogen & so I take a look for the road tutorial youtube & so sadly we must edit ourself the splat file...

But I will pass, easy to do but boring to do it LOLLL

Thanks anyway !

4 hours ago, Life_For_Dead said:

& for any road missing, KG don't build it like Nitrogen & so I take a look for the road tutorial youtube & so sadly we must edit ourself the splat file...

But I will pass, easy to do but boring to do it LOLLL

Thanks anyway !

Well, KingGen has only been around since March of this year while Nitrogen has been longer.  The issue with Nitrogen is that it has been abandon while @KingSlayerGM is actively updating and refining his tool as it goes along.  There are going to be differences, but KingSlayerGM does look for feedback and will adjust his tool if he feels that feedback will improve on it and the user's experience.

Oh man, this is awesome tool! We are just starting a new map with this. Really like the clear UI and the extra info on each setting. 👍

One question/improvement: Would it be possible to add option to exclude water in desert biome? Would make the biome more feel like a dry desert. I know that this could be done with custom height/waterinfo but i'm really not fluent in making those :(

Not speaking for KingSlayer, Alaric, but the amount of work that he will have to do in order to create a water/biome dependency far exceeds the learning curve of GIMP. All you need to do is simply follow TallmanBrad's video on making a custom heightmap.  Try it - it is so easy - perhaps ten minutes or less, and you'll have a usable heightmap - and it's so rewarding. Like riding a bicycle - after the third map you will barely notice the 'work' involved.  You don't need to create splat files; or zone files; even city files aren't necessary to make a good map. You just need a heightmap. It's a very small - but satisfying - piece of the hobby.
pj

3 hours ago, AlaricBalthi said:

Oh man, this is awesome tool! We are just starting a new map with this. Really like the clear UI and the extra info on each setting. 👍

One question/improvement: Would it be possible to add option to exclude water in desert biome? Would make the biome more feel like a dry desert. I know that this could be done with custom height/waterinfo but i'm really not fluent in making those :(

You can use a custom water map for that. Just draw solid black over where the desert biomes are.

I recently started using the 7dtd mod launcher.

So, for example, now the prefabs for darkness falls are on my f: drive while the game's prefabs are on my e: drive.

And, consequently, when I try to use kinggen, I do not get any of the prefabs included in darkness falls.

Is there some way of using kinggen with this setup?

25 minutes ago, VicWint said:

So, for example, now the prefabs for darkness falls are on my f: drive while the game's prefabs are on my e: drive.

And, consequently, when I try to use kinggen, I do not get any of the prefabs included in darkness falls.

Nah, no way its going to read distributed like that

52 minutes ago, VicWint said:

You _might_ be able to get away with a symlink (https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/) but I haven't tested it of course.

If you're using the mod launcher exclusively to play DF, it's very easy to install it manually. I personally don't like mod managers, but that's a different topic ;) The default maps for DF leave a lot to be desired, generating one with KG is much better.

For those wanting to play DF with a custom map, be sure to use the custom POI list Khaine's provides, otherwise the custom traders and other DF POIs won't be spawned in the correct biomes.

Edited by DJQuad (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, DJQuad said:

You _might_ be able to get away with a symlink (https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/) but I haven't tested it of course.

If you're using the mod launcher exclusively to play DF, it's very easy to install it manually. I personally don't like mod managers, but that's a different topic ;) 

Looking further, I see that the launcher has created a modded copy of the game on my f: drive (where it has installed the mods). 

(And, the point of using the launcher is to be able to easily switch between different modded versions of the game -- so it looks like it creates a copy of the game for each of those instances.)

So, conceptually, all I need to do is point kinggen at the game instance.

But how?

I tried telling kinggen that the rwgmixer.xml from that instance of the game was a custom pois list. But that failed miserably.

I tried looking up the format kinggen wants for the pois list -- maybe I could somehow build one -- but I have not yet succeeded there, either.