KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

On 8/24/2021 at 10:28 PM, ArkMeekro said:

Another bug report: the linux version doesn't run on any version of Ubuntu below 20.04. I've gotten the error below on both 18.04 and 16.04:

> ./kinggen
[2371] Error loading Python lib '/tmp/_MEIwwBdeL/libpython3.8.so.1.0': dlopen: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /tmp/_MEIwwBdeL/libpython3.8.so.1.0)

You might try the approach mentioned here How install GLIBC 2.29 or higher in Ubuntu 18.04 | DigitalOcean

(Note that when I tried previewing this post I had to use right click open link in new tab to visit that link. I don't know if that will be an issue for you when post this reply.)

Open areas for the win! Some great pictures there @paulj_3. Really nice examples of what can be done with some understanding of the software, and an artistic eye of course! As much as I dislike burnt and waste biomes; the speckles of each adds a lot to the aesthetics of woodland areas with the occasional dead tree amongst healthy ones. 'Open areas' need to stay as a mechanic. I hope it's possible. 

I generated a map with your program and seem to have some issues, as I have read previously there are issues with the roads and transitions to POI's or Prefabs to the terrain is this going to be fixed?

I also noticed hills that were missing half of the hillside, is this normal?

I set Mountains as a border and it feels like a Halo Custom Edition skybox, is this normal as well?

https://ibb.co/KKd8ncV
https://ibb.co/XDC66wW
https://ibb.co/ZmxT2Lf
https://ibb.co/2ybryS7
https://ibb.co/yV3fczL
https://ibb.co/zmP61nh

On 8/18/2021 at 4:52 PM, DJQuad said:

You can use a custom water map for that. Just draw solid black over where the desert biomes are.

On 8/18/2021 at 3:53 PM, paulj_3 said:

Not speaking for KingSlayer, Alaric, but the amount of work that he will have to do in order to create a water/biome dependency far exceeds the learning curve of GIMP. All you need to do is simply follow TallmanBrad's video on making a custom heightmap.  Try it - it is so easy - perhaps ten minutes or less, and you'll have a usable heightmap - and it's so rewarding. Like riding a bicycle - after the third map you will barely notice the 'work' involved.  You don't need to create splat files; or zone files; even city files aren't necessary to make a good map. You just need a heightmap. It's a very small - but satisfying - piece of the hobby.
pj

Yeah unfortunately it really isn't as easy. There are no guides for that and the video tutorial conviniently skips the whole water level heighmap creation all together. Sure biomes and cities and zoning are there but water levels... Nah. So, having fought over and over with this by myself with no help, it simply will not work. I create heightmap (anykind, any method), paint black areas (anywhere, nowhere), save correct formats and sizes and... The whole water levels gets screwed, putting water where it wasn't supposed to be. Or just not putting water at all.

It most definately is not a simple 10min thing to add to my hobbies. It's clear that some of you are simply that much better and things are very easy for you. Good for you, just don't expect everyone to be on that same level.

I'm giving up and it's not for the lack of effort. Sorry for being salty but i really could have used this time for other things.

Excluding the water editing, this tool is still very good and kudos for that.

Just a heads up and others have reported on the Crash issue while making maps .. I just tried to do a couple 10k and both crashed, nothing other the hill to speak of and both had the latest combo-pack.

Small deserts are still too large compared to earlier version on a couple maps that did make it .. you need to add extra small or splat size with quantity needed .. without going out and making my own custom .. quick and easy.

I did not keep info, so don't ask ... This is just a friendly reminder, that something has or is going amiss with the map maker. 

Thank you

Hi Alaric: I reckon you've taken part of my post just a bit out of context: I was very specifically talking about the ease of making a useable heightmap - not a water map.

"You don't need to create splat files; or zone files; even city files aren't necessary to make a good map. You just need a heightmap".  I still stand by that.

"you are simply that much better and things are very easy for you."   No - that's not the case at all. I'm an old fart - retired, and spend, probably 13 hours per day - seven days a week at this computer. It will not take that kind of time or effort for most everyone, but it does take measure of patience, the ability to focus, some level of interest in map creation, and an appreciation of the enjoyment that comes with the sharing of others' experiences, interactions, help, knowledge, etc., on forums like this.  

Here is a link to a map that includes the files used to make it, along with some pics.  Be my guest - use them with Gimp - ask questions here about Gimp, (because it has been all the source of my problems)   https://1drv.ms/u/s!AueVg7eVAeXMkyzfOaKMB8PlZx3O?e=zHmtSh   

Water was tough to do, but it just took some time experimenting - same for (my) biomes. Brad does have a water video, posted here a few days ago, and this map gets around the tree problems that he/we found after using the original "create your own water map" video.
 Just don't just give up because you think you can't do it.

pj

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

"I also noticed hills that were missing half of the hillside, is this normal? "

Hi HB:  I've noticed this, and think it's the first iteration, perhaps, of a new feature of the generator. Certainly geologic rifts (and rift valleys) do appear everywhere in nature, but most are longer and larger, but this one could use a bit more work, couldn't it! Given KingSlayer's work ethic - I will bet a better one will be forthcoming!  😉

There are some great photos in your gallery there @paulj_3! They clearly show it's possible to make maps that are much more lifelike/natural than the random generated maps within the game.

About the strange half-hills and rifts. I don't know but I'd guess they are a simple light weight vector shape used to just add a little variety to the terrain. They have a sand dune or snow drift shape about them. I'm not a fan of those but I don't tend to let kinggen do the terrain now. I noticed Kingslayer has put out a feeler for anyone with skills in terrain/feature creation. Perhaps he'll be adding built in mountain/lake stamps to a future version? Possible not ones we can use manually, but replacements for the unusual sand dunes/drift shapes? 

And! I'm with you on the hobby aspect of all of this. It isn't important, it isn't essential, but it's fun to learn new things particularly when the payoff is as satisfying as exploring a world you've shaped. I can see it'll not be for everyone, but there's an auto-generate option for those that want it done for them. Win win! 

"Perhaps he'll be adding built in mountain/lake stamps to a future version?"  
Yep - 'twould be a good addition.  Longer, flat-topped escarpments and rift stamps might be possible . . . . thinking something like the Dover cliffs . . .  hmmmm. . . (sigh) work is now cut out for the day... now where did I put that hm?

Given the almost-constant updates he's doing, the input from folks on this forum, and the critique/suggestions being made - I reckon it's kinda cool that we're all actually involved at the beginning of the creation of this tool.

How do I find what this means?

Generating heightmap.
Generating biomes.
Generating cities.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "crash_log.py", line 19, in handle_crash_log
  File "gui_generation.py", line 27, in generate
  File "ntime.py", line 11, in ntime
  File "world.py", line 1301, in run
  File "world.py", line 265, in generate
  File "world.py", line 540, in init_cities
  File "world.py", line 617, in gen_cities_from_mask
  File "world.py", line 582, in gen_hub_from_label
  File "hub_factory.py", line 32, in gen_random_town
  File "hub_factory.py", line 59, in gen_random_hub
  File "city.py", line 46, in __init__
  File "city.py", line 61, in generate
  File "city.py", line 274, in populate_grid
  File "city.py", line 246, in try_place
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'rotate_to_face'

Edited by cammel
grammar (see edit history)

1 hour ago, GunsNerdsAndSteel said:

all terrain appears as desert (but the biome is still correct in terms of weather, flora, topsoil, etc).

You beat me to it! Just reported this after our chat. I'm going to test some more myself in the morning to double check I can recreate it. 

I have started to run into problems with quest rally points not getting a location when they were created (or when they were supposed to be created) on kinggen maps.

This appears to be "a known issue".

Is there any concise debugging information I can collect which would help in isolating this issue?

On 8/27/2021 at 4:28 PM, Tallman Brad said:

Update: this only seems to happen if you edit, then replace, the road splat that kinggen creates. Will test further tomorrow so I have something solid to provide Kingslayer. 

Is it that the Alpha layer needs to be turned back on after editing?

Sorry @HB_H4wk, I'd hoped to get back on today to look at the situation with the map appearing like a desert texture but didn't get a chance. However Krunch has suggested using the 'fix splat' option in kinggen. Also to remove any other splat files from the map folder, perhaps splat 4 and splat 5. I can't get on my pc to check the names or test the solutions. Hopefully tomorrow (Sunday in UK). 

Edited by Tallman Brad (see edit history)

@Tallman Brad I loaded the world back into KingGen and tried the Splat Fix and it worked, but it removed any new dirt roads that were added. :( The Asphalt roads were still there with all of the correct Biomes. I also removed Splat 4 and 5 files from the map folder, so it's a start.

I also tried turning the Alpha Channel back on to see if it helped and it was still all desert ground.

Edited by HB_H4wk (see edit history)

@Tallman Brad I was wondering as most servers use live maps if the splat3 file is edited to add roads, the main preview file does not show roads. So I was thinking that making a separate layer in the splat road process and placing that on top of the Preview map to update the Preview png file to reflect the newly added roads.