KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

12 hours ago, Tallman Brad said:

@paulj_3 You're absolutely right. There is an issue with trees. I wondered why I was so taken by the landscape and featured it at the start of my video. It's because you could actually see the view as there were no trees! The trees I saw were on the mountains. And because there were trees there, I didn't connect to what you were saying. There were no trees at ground level however, where I drew the 3rd sinkhole and specified no water, there are trees. 

Hadnt consider that, but its correct, the very last block before water wont give you trees, and for some reason i think the ground should look like dirt.

15 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

@paulj_3 and @Tallman Brad thanks for bringing this to my attention. The problem is caused by KG, which is "placing" water even underground. The game just thinks it should not spawn trees on top of water.

I am gonna fix this by checking the heightmap level and placing water only if the water level is higher than the terrain level. It's gonna be KG14 though.

Thank you very much for noticing this :)

That sounds like a great mechanism for enforcing a sort of "beach mini-biome" near water and/or maybe a few "meadows".  For a while, anyways...

So... anyways... be careful to carefully not be too careful when you fix this? Or... something like that?

Yes - it is just that, Vic:  A single water.png works fine: Using the heightmap from a 'just-created' map, I filled the coastal area in, at 43,43,43 coming inland a small amount in different places, making sure that the 43 was solid, then went over to a few deepish hollows, and painted in and around them, at differing levels, painted a few more that were hilly, and obviously not water. Then exported the new water map to the map's folder, entered the water map into KingGen, ran it, using the same map name, and voila! Coastal shorelines, with a one-block dirt shore, with no trees in many places; some nice ponds and lakes, some with trees close, and some with open areas surrounding them, and then a few open areas, as suggested by Vic. Because of the flexibility and speed of KingGen, it has become quick enough to make changes that you might want within a just few minutes. 

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

On 8/20/2021 at 7:06 PM, MimirTheAesir said:

Heyo!

I started using KingGen yesterday and first of all.. DAMN what an amazing tool!

However, I encountered 1 problem today and I have 1 suggestion. Suggestion first:

On the 7 Days to Die Discord Server someone told me that you can "edit" the worlds that the generator spits out. I had a perfect world generated but I wanted to change a single bit (add an island to a huge lake). They, however, couldn't tell me how to do that and also didn't find the instructions anymore. Could you maybe let me know (or add it to the inital announcement?) how to do that?

The problem I encountered is as follows: I wanted to load up a world from a friend in KingGen but it gives me the following error whenever I try to load up ANY map:

Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tkinter\__init__.py", line 1892, in __call__
  File "gui.py", line 316, in open_world
  File "gui.py", line 1201, in load_world
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'pois' referenced before assignment

I could load maps yesterday super fine, no problem, today it doesn't work anymore. Any fix for that?

Hey peepz. I fear my post has gotten drowned in the "no trees" problem, so I am bumping it again. Anyone has any idea how to solve this, please?

Edit: To add to my original post: We are not using any mods or anything. The map was generated with the RWG from Vanilla 7DTD.

Edited by MimirTheAesir (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, MimirTheAesir said:

Hey peepz. I fear my post has gotten drowned in the "no trees" problem, so I am bumping it again. Anyone has any idea how to solve this, please?

Edit: To add to my original post: We are not using any mods or anything. The map was generated with the RWG from Vanilla 7DTD.

As far as I know, you “edit” maps before you generate them using KingGen or Nitrogen.  After map generation, you can import POIs, but can’t do what you are asking.  I also could be wrong

1 minute ago, BFT2020 said:

I can’t believe I didn’t think of this early, but why not use dm and cm, then make the island by hand.  Once you create it, it should stick around.  Since all you are doing is making one small change, should not be a lot of work to do it

@MimirTheAesir

I tried that, it was an absolute hassle. Maybe I am just too bad to work with the level tools but I wasn't able to make it work.

How did you "load" your friend's RGW map into KingGen?  Did you place the map's seed into KingGen, and then hit "Generate world"? or did you just hit "Load world" and then browse to, and select the map's folder? I think KingGen's "Load world" is looking for a KingGen - generated map to load - not an RGW map. It will however, load and create a new map from any seed it's given - and from anywhere - any name - any number..

As far as creating an island in the middle of a lake - I reckon BFT2020's method is probably correct and the easiest choice: that being said - almost every part of map-making can be regarded as a "hassle" if you like, but I think most folks (here) regard it as a fun "learning curve". This is the very practical application of real-world graphics technology, and we all had to start learning about it at sometime or other, if we want to make 7D2D maps.
That "tree problem" was very significant for me, at least. I'm retired, not particularly "graphics-savvy", and I'm sure I've spent time on at least fifty maps - over perhaps ten weeks - learning to use KingGen.  and I'm still in the dark about many parts. But I needed help, and found it here. I didn't expect it to be as complicated as it turned out - but that's the way life goes sometimes.
Just find some patience: do a load of experiments: check out dm and cm; find the seed from the RWG map and use that to remake your friend's map in KG. The seeds work, and will give you ability to really edit a heightmap - the way you want. And any other component that makes up a complete world.

Remember - it's just a hobby.
Good luck.
pj

PS: Did I mention Tallman Brad's videos from the beginning of this topic, and his own YT channel?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiB9O0IlKrndytqNZ0pFdug 

or Capt Krunch's forum page here:

11 minutes ago, paulj_3 said:

find the seed from the RWG map and use that to remake your friend's map in KG.

We tried that out but it did not work. Even with all settings set to default and just the seed entered, it generated an entirely different world than the one from the game.

Idk if it was the same "layout" of the map in terms of height map etc. but it was entirely different biome placement, city / PoI placement etc.

Edit: Yes, I tried loading it via the "Load World" function but I guess it doesn't work then. Pity.

Edited by MimirTheAesir (see edit history)

12 hours ago, MimirTheAesir said:

12 hours ago, MimirTheAesir said:

Here is a video on basic height map modification, should be good for what you are doing. I made this using Nitro, but the principals are all the same.

Another bug report: the linux version doesn't run on any version of Ubuntu below 20.04. I've gotten the error below on both 18.04 and 16.04:

> ./kinggen
[2371] Error loading Python lib '/tmp/_MEIwwBdeL/libpython3.8.so.1.0': dlopen: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /tmp/_MEIwwBdeL/libpython3.8.so.1.0)

On 8/21/2021 at 6:19 PM, VicWint said:

That sounds like a great mechanism for enforcing a sort of "beach mini-biome" near water and/or maybe a few "meadows".  For a while, anyways...

So... anyways... be careful to carefully not be too careful when you fix this? Or... something like that?

Following the earlier interest both in water mapping, trees, shorelines and 'open' areas, and prompted by VicWint's comment above - I plowed into it, and by a combination of some careful (and tedious) biome png plus water png - edge work, I did get sandy (sic) beaches without trees near, and/or no trees at all, regardless of the actual biome area at or near water's edge - it is absolutely possible to do via the water map - simply extend the water body under the land by whatever distance you need it to go where you don't want trees. Ponds of differing levels too - (again inspired by Brad, Krunchy and DJQuad, plus others that have shown interest in this) - are also quite possible. Below is a link to a few pics and a preview of one of the maps. The preview may look a tad strange, as I didn't include snow, and jumbled the others in fairly small blobs and squiggles, but you can see the water edges very clearly. I've included the biome.png and a few other png's so you can see how messy it really looks, and also in case anyone wants to play with it themselves. I haven't included the water map, as it's changing daily. I should say also that, in my own game map - I've pared the KingGen-CP47 prefabs to reflect an 'older civilization' - so no high-rises, coffee shops or glitzy downtown buildings and factories.  I like that play because of the opportunity it gives one to visit or explore the dozens (or hundreds) of radically different buildings that CP has to offer. Plus climbing fifty floors in a high-rise leaves me feeling annoyed.

pj

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AueVg7eVAeXMkyzfOaKMB8PlZx3O?e=2bjdWU

A sample:

A19.6_2021-08-25_14-13-14.jpg