A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

18 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

I disagree completely with this. The XP popup is bad enough as it is. You want confetti and candy to pop out of them when they die just so you know? 

Kinda ruins the suspense if it's that obvious...

You do realize that makes the stun baton a liability in hordes, yes? Which means its use is going to be restricted to solo and most likely POIs exclusively. And I sincerely doubt suspense is the first thing on people’s minds in the middle of a late game blood moon horde.

3 minutes ago, ShellHead said:

You do realize that makes the stun baton a liability in hordes, yes? Which means its use is going to be restricted to solo and most likely POIs exclusively. And I sincerely doubt suspense is the first thing on people’s minds in the middle of a late game blood moon horde.

It is definitely not a liability on hordes. What best than throw the zombies on the ground again so it has to go up the stairs, through the blade traps, the dart traps, the electric fences and the robotic sledge again to get to you before you throw it down again? And if that's not how your horde base works then don't blame the weapon but the horde base.

Just now, dcsobral said:

It is definitely not a liability on hordes. What best than throw the zombies on the ground again so it has to go up the stairs, through the blade traps, the dart traps, the electric fences and the robotic sledge again to get to you before you throw it down again? And if that's not how your horde base works then don't blame the weapon but the horde base.

In multiplayer it is, you’re not going to be able to control the zeds that tightly and allies won’t know if a zed is dealt with. That’s my only point, the other players are not going to want you to take a weapon who’s major benefit is crowd control if it makes their job of killing zeds harder.

6 minutes ago, ShellHead said:

In multiplayer it is, you’re not going to be able to control the zeds that tightly and allies won’t know if a zed is dealt with. That’s my only point, the other players are not going to want you to take a weapon who’s major benefit is crowd control if it makes their job of killing zeds harder.

If the zombie is running upstairs again, it's not dead.

Whenever its time to chew bubblegum and kick ass, Joe is always out of bubblegum.

1 hour ago, ShellHead said:

It does have the problem of making the stun baton’s crowd control effect more of a drawback when things get hectic, which is when cc is supposed to be the most useful especially in group play. I think people would prefer surprises to be “were there always 4 demolishers there?” As opposed to “did my teammate actually kill that zed or just knock it over?”

You need to pay closer attention. Not only does the xp payout pop up to let you know it is dead, the death animations as well as the death screams are different than the knockback animations and sounds. It doesn't take long for someone who is paying attention to always know exactly when the enemy is dead. I made a mod in which I replaced all death animations and sounds with the knockback and made the get up time variable so that you never were certain whether they were dead yet-- and it was much much better. Big no vote from me on adding any additional signs that enemies are dead dead.

8 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

or just open the door, stand there and stealth shot em one by one. When then come to you in that little room kill them and go call forth the next contestant. I learned that after the 1st time I did that POI. Did you not learn? Well now you know.

When you say "everyone" you're almost always wrong.

If standing outside an invisible barrier is the only way, doesn't that also seem like it shouldn't be a thing? Might as well remove it entirely and just let every zombie wake up the moment one dies.

And i use the term everyone as it has been heavily debated as someone else posted. If using the term everyone is too sensitive, then I'll say the "people" who have debated it had reason to.

If your standing outside the barrier.. then nothing can hear you.

Look at the general support of zombies not hearing metal clanking next to them because it was outside the "area". It's a problem mate. Seriously, it doesn't take a lot to see a problem here with the system that can be fixed or revamped to be improved.

Edit: i also made a new game. What's the point of investing perks into the skill if zombies can wake up if you enter the barrier (still on the school topic). If you can 100% stealth through a POI (which should be difficult but not quite literally impossible), then it's because you've reached lvl 10 agility and invested your perks into that.

I don't get how this is an improvement to just making EVERY zombie follow hear/sight rules. And if that isn't enough, allow a zombie to have a % chance to wake up a zombie next to it, if you hit it and it doesn't die on that hit.

The new stealth system is in no way shape or form a good one. It should be the way it was in A15. Play any game, SCUM, the last of us, or skyrim. Do enemies instantly wake up after passing an invisible barrier? Or do they follow a set of functions for seeing the character.. it doesn't take a lot to see how this system is poor and needs to be worked on further, hell. They could even add more trash to areas, and create sensors that set off alarms.

I don't get why we're throwing logic away just to make stealth less and less viable, especially since all those stealth perks are USELESS on horde night. Since you know, your already instantly detected on bloodmoon.. I don't even use stealth and i see a lot of issues wrong with it.

Edited by Darklegend222 (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Can any dev comment on the QoL changes or changes in general for Stun Baton? Are any even on the table? As someone who started a new A19.5 run with the explicit intention to do a Stun Baton character . . . yeah . . .

IMO, you shouldn't need to have candy + a book only mod + an entire perk line + your junk turrets going all combined to basically just let the junk turrets do what they would already have done anyway. I couldn't even get a single stun baton for the entire first week, which made the build very sad as well, so I'm hoping it gets some drop rate changes to actually be usable as a starting weapon as I'm pretty sure damage wise it's out damaged by a stone axe rofl

INT builds in general are underpowered as hell IMO.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Whenever its time to chew bubblegum and kick ass, Joe is always out of bubblegum.

You need to pay closer attention. Not only does the xp payout pop up to let you know it is dead, the death animations as well as the death screams are different than the knockback animations and sounds. It doesn't take long for someone who is paying attention to always know exactly when the enemy is dead. I made a mod in which I replaced all death animations and sounds with the knockback and made the get up time variable so that you never were certain whether they were dead yet-- and it was much much better. Big no vote from me on adding any additional signs that enemies are dead dead.

Agree…. I never mistake whether a zombie is dead or stunned using the baton, neither are my team mates. Of course we all have over 6000 hours each so it’s plain as the nose on my face if one is dead or not. Stun baton ftw even on horde night!!

I knew that the xp popup told the player, i was more referring to the allies but if you all haven’t had problems with it then it’s probably not a serious issue.

I’m all for making the game as atmospheric as possible, i just wanted to make sure that it wasn’t going to cause problems that might keep some really cool ideas (e.g. the stun baton) out of play, especially the spheres of play it would be the most interesting and fun in. But it seems like that’s not the issue i thought it was.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

The zombie is on its back. It looks up at you with pleading eyes full of despair, trying to grab you one last time with one of its arms. And then, it dies; its arm falls onto its chest and its head turns to the side.

Seriously though, that mod you mentioned... Is it updated for 19.4? :)

2 hours ago, enragedcamel said:

INT builds in general are underpowered as hell IMO.

Personally, I think it is are the most OP build there is. Bicycle or minibike on day 2, motorcycle by day 7, steel by day 14, fastest book completion, experience from electrical traps, cheaper crafting costs, faster crafting, no searching for working stations or stations schematics, plenty of ammo and molotovs through quest completion, and higher tier guns at higher quality faster than anyone else. Since putting points into weapon perks is fun but totally unnecessary, I usually don't spend any points outside Int before I have everything maxed for Int 7 (except Physician, the stun baton perk and the charisma thingy). At that point the gamestage is high enough that putting points into Lucky Looter is worthwhile, and Salvage Operations can be helpful as well. If I still don't have an auger and a chainsaw I might put points into Sex T and Miner, and the stealth perks are also pretty good since I use padded armor.

The Perception tree is decent as well. A bit of Strength is a nice-to-have so you can dig, open those crates and get cobblestone/cement faster, or if you are really unlucky getting that auger from the trader, but definitely nothing worth going above Str 3 (2 + cigar). Fortitude has nothing useful, and Agility is pretty much devoid of anything unrelated to combat except for Parkour, and Parkour is another fun-but-unnecessary perk.

Then, by the time irradiated start to show up, you are already maxed out on everything that makes progression faster and can start spending points on any combat perks that takes your fancy.

INT’s progression perks are genuinely fantastic but its associated weapons are too reliant on the perks to be consistently useful. You’re best served by trying to get a high quality weapon from another perk line via the traders, which is something no other stat has to do.

The issue isn’t that INT doesn’t have access to good weapons, since anyone can use any weapon they obviously do, the issue is that if the INT player wants to focus on their associated weapons over other perk’s weapons, they will be putting themselves at a disadvantage in comparison.

The power allocation for the turrets and the stun baton should be shifted back towards the base weapons and away from the perks so that INT players can use them more effectively earlier and so that non-INT players have a reason to pay attention to them.

INT is clearly designed to be centered on progression at the cost of combat capabilities and self-sufficiency, which is a really interesting playstyle but i think the weapons are still undertuned even with the reduced focus on fighting taken into account.

Additionally remember that with the further refinement of the gamestage mechanics, the traders are going to be less powerful and as a result INT will have substantially reduced ability to get powerful gear quickly. So while INT maybe overpowered now, that may completely change with A20 and as such should be rebalanced with the understanding that it is benefiting from a temporary situation.

8 hours ago, ShellHead said:

I knew that the xp popup told the player, i was more referring to the allies but if you all haven’t had problems with it then it’s probably not a serious issue.

I always group with my co-players so I get the XP popup too. Not that I want it. Now with lots of zombies attributing it to which zombie died actually might be difficult.

8 hours ago, ShellHead said:

I’m all for making the game as atmospheric as possible, i just wanted to make sure that it wasn’t going to cause problems that might keep some really cool ideas (e.g. the stun baton) out of play, especially the spheres of play it would be the most interesting and fun in. But it seems like that’s not the issue i thought it was.

If we ignore the popup then I don't see why that problem would be limited to stun baton. Other weapons have knockdown too. And there still is the effect that zombies can go down when at low health but not dead (or am I imagining things?). Death through stun baton is sometimes even more obvious because dead zombies stop flashing immediately.

9 hours ago, Darklegend222 said:

If standing outside an invisible barrier is the only way, doesn't that also seem like it shouldn't be a thing? Might as well remove it entirely and just let every zombie wake up the moment one dies.

The activation barriers sure feel artifical sometimes, but we are dealing here with compromises. The system TFP uses for its POIs needs few CPU cycles and that is surely why TFP uses it. I hope they will eventually use optimization wins for more zombies instead of more natural senses of zombies, but your mileage may vary.

And i use the term everyone as it has been heavily debated as someone else posted. If using the term everyone is too sensitive, then I'll say the "people" who have debated it had reason to.

If your standing outside the barrier.. then nothing can hear you.

Look at the general support of zombies not hearing metal clanking next to them because it was outside the "area". It's a problem mate. Seriously, it doesn't take a lot to see a problem here with the system that can be fixed or revamped to be improved.

Yes, anything that lowers immersion is a potential problem. 7D2D will be released with lots of problems still in the game because compromises have to be made. The only question is which problems TFP will fix and which it will keep because they just don't have the CPU budget to fix them.

Edit: i also made a new game. What's the point of investing perks into the skill if zombies can wake up if you enter the barrier (still on the school topic). If you can 100% stealth through a POI (which should be difficult but not quite literally impossible), then it's because you've reached lvl 10 agility and invested your perks into that.

I don't get how this is an improvement to just making EVERY zombie follow hear/sight rules. And if that isn't enough, allow a zombie to have a % chance to wake up a zombie next to it, if you hit it and it doesn't die on that hit.

The new stealth system is in no way shape or form a good one. It should be the way it was in A15. Play any game, SCUM, the last of us, or skyrim. Do enemies instantly wake up after passing an invisible barrier? Or do they follow a set of functions for seeing the character.. it doesn't take a lot to see how this system is poor and needs to be worked on further, hell. They could even add more trash to areas, and create sensors that set off alarms.

Someone checked the xmls and found that the automatic activation happens in much less than 10% of rooms, I think it was even below 5% but I'm not sure. There was just one building which overdid it with almost every room having automatic activation and I made a bug report about it.

That is why I think the issue gets overblown, because if it happens in every 20th room then it means stealth works in all the other 19 of 20 rooms as expected and the 20th room is an interesting variety stealthers have to be prepared for.

And it is possible to restealth and there are other ways to prepare yourself for such situations. It makes stealth a lot more interesting for me because everyone can play stealth, but there is a way to improve your stealth play further and master it.

I don't get why we're throwing logic away just to make stealth less and less viable, especially since all those stealth perks are USELESS on horde night. Since you know, your already instantly detected on bloodmoon.. I don't even use stealth and i see a lot of issues wrong with it.

So you don't use stealth but have a strong opinion about it? Well, I do use stealth and like stealth play. Maybe that is the difference 😉. I also like the occasional surprise and other players may not like surprises.

As long as stealth isn't 100% effective I'm good, so a change like the one hiemfire talked about would be fine. But I'm ok with it as it is as well.

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

I always group with my co-players so I get the XP popup too. Not that I want it. Now with lots of zombies attributing it to which zombie died actually might be difficult.

If we ignore the popup then I don't see why that problem would be limited to stun baton. Other weapons have knockdown too. And there still is the effect that zombies can go down when at low health but not dead (or am I imagining things?). Death through stun baton is sometimes even more obvious because dead zombies stop flashing immediately.

I remember good old return of the dead when zombie could be only killed by electricity or burned them XD

The activation barriers sure feel artifical sometimes, but we are dealing here with compromises. The system TFP uses for its POIs needs few CPU cycles and that is surely why TFP uses it. I hope they will eventually use optimization wins for more zombies instead of more natural senses of zombies, but your mileage may vary.

Yes, anything that lowers immersion is a potential problem. 7D2D will be released with lots of problems still in the game because compromises have to be made. The only question is which problems TFP will fix and which it will keep because they just don't have the CPU budget to fix them.

Someone checked the xmls and found that the automatic activation happens in much less than 10% of rooms, I think it was even below 5% but I'm not sure. There was just one building which overdid it with almost every room having automatic activation and I made a bug report about it.

That is why I think the issue gets overblown, because if it happens in every 20th room then it means stealth works in all the other 19 of 20 rooms as expected and the 20th room is an interesting variety stealthers have to be prepared for.

And it is possible to restealth and there are other ways to prepare yourself for such situations. It makes stealth a lot more interesting for me because everyone can play stealth, but there is a way to improve your stealth play further and master it.

So you don't use stealth but have a strong opinion about it? Well, I do use stealth and like stealth play. Maybe that is the difference 😉. I also like the occasional surprise and other players may not like surprises.

As long as stealth isn't 100% effective I'm good, so a change like the one hiemfire talked about would be fine. But I'm ok with it as it is as well.

Well someone can have opinion about something and don't doing this - i think machete is useless   so i don't use  (logical) , someone thing stealth is bad so he is not using it because it his opinion is bad. Well it was quiet stupid to use or do something what is not working . I think  7dtd have some "core" problems with stealth that cannot be fixed - well it needed to change zombie AI , Poi , armor system , weapons balance but it can be done in 7dtd 2

7 hours ago, ShellHead said:

INT’s progression perks are genuinely fantastic but its associated weapons are too reliant on the perks to be consistently useful. You’re best served by trying to get a high quality weapon from another perk line via the traders, which is something no other stat has to do.

The issue isn’t that INT doesn’t have access to good weapons, since anyone can use any weapon they obviously do, the issue is that if the INT player wants to focus on their associated weapons over other perk’s weapons, they will be putting themselves at a disadvantage in comparison.

To paraphrase: "IF" the INT players wants to play this attribute like he plays most other attributes they will be putting themselves at a disadvantage. So my conclusion is players should not do that. They have to play into the strengths of their class aka attribute not into their weakness. This is the way in almost every game I know of.

The power allocation for the turrets and the stun baton should be shifted back towards the base weapons and away from the perks so that INT players can use them more effectively earlier and so that non-INT players have a reason to pay attention to them.

I don't think it helps the INT player to diminish the power of his own perks. First you should find out if there is a problem for the INT player when he is playing optimally. Then find out if that problem is at the start or end of the game. If at the start then upgrading the base power might be applicable, otherwise strengthening the higher levels of the perk should be done.

Now does the int-player have problems at start? I don't think so:

1) As dscobral explained the INT player gets the fastest progression and is saving lots of time because of better mobility.

2) As perk points are rare at start other attributes are still only lowly perked into their weapon. So the difference to the unperked non-INT weapon the INT player would normally use in addition to turret is rather low (10-30%).

3) The pusher turret is the single most effective item in the game for horde nights and while still very useful unperked the INT player definitely  gets more out of it.

INT is clearly designed to be centered on progression at the cost of combat capabilities and self-sufficiency, which is a really interesting playstyle but i think the weapons are still undertuned even with the reduced focus on fighting taken into account.

Additionally remember that with the further refinement of the gamestage mechanics, the traders are going to be less powerful and as a result INT will have substantially reduced ability to get powerful gear quickly. So while INT maybe overpowered now, that may completely change with A20 and as such should be rebalanced with the understanding that it is benefiting from a temporary situation.

The trader respec will hurt the INT player, but also give him a further advantage: While everyone will be running around with worse weapons at the start of the game, a lvl1 AK for example will still mow down a wandering horde of zombies in a few seconds. The limiting factor is ammunition and buying and questing for ammo is again a strength of the INT player.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Now does the int-player have problems at start? I don't think so:

1) As dscobral explained the INT player gets the fastest progression and is saving lots of time because of better mobility.

2) As perk points are rare at start other attributes are still only lowly perked into their weapon. So the difference to the unperked non-INT weapon the INT player would normally use in addition to turret is rather low (10-30%).

3) The pusher turret is the single most effective item in the game for horde nights and while still very useful unperked the INT player definitely  gets more out of it.

The only thing I disagree with (but they are addressing in Alpha 20) is that the Int tree has the only melee weapon you can perk into at the beginning, but not obtainable if the trader doesn't have it.  Every other tree melee weapon you can put points in at after the tutorial quests are completed and craft / use a Q2 melee weapon at the beginning.

With the Pipe baton coming in Alpha 20, that takes care of that.

Otherwise, I am perfectly happy that spec'ing purely into the Int tree means my weakness is my combat skills until I get my hands on turrets.

10 hours ago, dcsobral said:

The Perception tree is decent as well. A bit of Strength is a nice-to-have so you can dig, open those crates and get cobblestone/cement faster, or if you are really unlucky getting that auger from the trader, but definitely nothing worth going above Str 3 (2 + cigar). Fortitude has nothing useful, and Agility is pretty much devoid of anything unrelated to combat except for Parkour, and Parkour is another fun-but-unnecessary perk.

This really only applies to vanilla 7D2D (and I have no issues with that).  I am playing a mod right now (Just Die Already) where perking up higher in those trees are actually useful.  For example, the mod nerfs farming and food is an issue a lot longer into the game than vanilla is.  Throw in significant less loot than vanilla, being able to perk into Lvl3 living off the land drastically reduces the cost of farm plots and open up the ability to craft seeds.

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Well someone can have opinion about something and don't doing this - i think machete is useless   so i don't use  (logical) 

That's all fine, but when opinions are requests to change the item or the perk or the playstyle, it does make a difference.

I love the Knife perks and love the weapons.  I may also be one of the few that do go from Bone to Iron to Machete.  I don't find any of them useless, but I am a player that doesn't just look for the strengths of builds / weapons / items; I love the weaknesses that they have, or the choices I have to make.

I love builds that are weak in combat because if I can make it to day 100+ using hard settings or a mod that ramps up the difficulty, I know it is because of the effort I made to overcome the weaknesses; not because something is so OP I can just stand there and hit the attack button over and over again.

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

That's all fine, but when opinions are requests to change the item or the perk or the playstyle, it does make a difference.

I love the Knife perks and love the weapons.  I may also be one of the few that do go from Bone to Iron to Machete.  I don't find any of them useless, but I am a player that doesn't just look for the strengths of builds / weapons / items; I love the weaknesses that they have, or the choices I have to make.

I love builds that are weak in combat because if I can make it to day 100+ using hard settings or a mod that ramps up the difficulty, I know it is because of the effort I made to overcome the weaknesses; not because something is so OP I can just stand there and hit the attack button over and over again.

Well in cod were situation like : most players was using m16 , ak74 aug , gallo 12 and  tundra. So people wanted to rebalance it to change meta - why using type 63 when m16 have better ttk? . Well now 7dtd is constructed more into "rambo" that "sneaky " way .  In my opinion 7dtd should support more sneaky way at least it was until A20 because it changing into rage 2 and i hate it xd . 

Well machete was a example - you loves knifes right? but better ttk will be for slendhammer so it need rebalance or it will be like cod when - most players used this same bulid because it was the best

6 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Well in cod were situation like : most players was using m16 , ak74 aug , gallo 12 and  tundra. So people wanted to rebalance it to change meta - why using type 63 when m16 have better ttk? . Well now 7dtd is constructed more into "rambo" that "sneaky " way .  In my opinion 7dtd should support more sneaky way at least it was until A20 because it changing into rage 2 and i hate it xd . 

Well machete was a example - you loves knifes right? but better ttk will be for slendhammer so it need rebalance or it will be like cod when - most players used this same bulid because it was the best

Does it matter if 90% of the players decide just to use the sledgehammer?  If that is all they want to use, then that is their choice, and they are the ones limiting themselves out of the enjoyment of using something that is not as OP as the strength melee weapons.

Rambo method is only true if that is your choice.  There are a lot of us in the background (though I might be one of the most vocal right now) that play the game in other ways than "Rambo".  IMHO, I think the reason people go the Rambo route is that it is the easiest way to play the game, not that it is the only way to play the game.  And I think that some people see dying in the game as a failure while there are those of us that like the fact that our builds did not last as long as we wanted it to.  It's that type of feedback that pushes us to re-examined how we played it the last time and what we need to do better the next time.  I don't need machetes to be rebalanced in order to enjoy playing with them.  If everything is the same balance, where is the enjoyment in that?

This game is not like COD where it is simply two teams squaring off against one another trying to kill each other.  This game is so much more.  Comparing items or game mechanics of 7D2D to a FPS is not equivalent and should not be the bar we are setting for this game.  7D2D is a survival, horror, crafting, building type of game.  It's those various elements mixed together that makes 7D2D the game that it is.  COD, Battfefield, and other games like those are two are just FPS and have different game mechanics that fit the FPS game genre.

4 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Does it matter if 90% of the players decide just to use the sledgehammer?  If that is all they want to use, then that is their choice, and they are the ones limiting themselves out of the enjoyment of using something that is not as OP as the strength melee weapons.

Rambo method is only true if that is your choice.  There are a lot of us in the background (though I might be one of the most vocal right now) that play the game in other ways than "Rambo".  IMHO, I think the reason people go the Rambo route is that it is the easiest way to play the game, not that it is the only way to play the game.  And I think that some people see dying in the game as a failure while there are those of us that like the fact that our builds did not last as long as we wanted it to.  It's that type of feedback that pushes us to re-examined how we played it the last time and what we need to do better the next time.  I don't need machetes to be rebalanced in order to enjoy playing with them.  If everything is the same balance, where is the enjoyment in that?

This game is not like COD where it is simply two teams squaring off against one another trying to kill each other.  This game is so much more.  Comparing items or game mechanics of 7D2D to a FPS is not equivalent and should not be the bar we are setting for this game.  7D2D is a survival, horror, crafting, building type of game.  It's those various elements mixed together that makes 7D2D the game that it is.  COD, Battfefield, and other games like those are two are just FPS and have different game mechanics that fit the FPS game genre.

Well is PVP still right?  that's way for example conan or rust have rebalance sometimes . Well  we don't have statitic but for sure more people using sledhammer that machete .  So yeah it could be but it pvp too . So i see two solutions : balance as PVP with  elements of E ( conan ) or PVE with elements of PVP ( the forest ) 

6 minutes ago, Burrfly said:

@faatal why aren't there anymore wandering hordes? That really really made the game a lot of fun. I remember in one of my first playthroughs and it was night and I got outside my base and a RUNNING horde of zombies came towards me and I was scared as heck but it was so cool to also encounter wandering hordes it made it also a challenge.

They are still there. Or do you mean a20? I didn't see any indication they were going to be removed.

6 minutes ago, Burrfly said:

@faatal why aren't there anymore wandering hordes? That really really made the game a lot of fun. I remember in one of my first playthroughs and it was night and I got outside my base and a RUNNING horde of zombies came towards me and I was scared as heck but it was so cool to also encounter wandering hordes it made it also a challenge.

Yeah friend & I had an encounter on the “highway of death” we ran into an enormous wandering horde. So many we built a small bunker to shot out at them.

Good times, it just never stopped. This is before the screamers not sure which alpha 

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

Yeah, though i think in most situations not knowing exactly what zed got killed by who wouldn’t mess up anyone too badly.

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

My understanding of the problem was that it wasn’t the knockdown itself that was at issue but rather zeds getting flung back into the horde via the repulser mod for the baton, which made them easy to lose track of when things got hectic. Knockdown from pretty much every other source is much easier to keep track of, the only exception might be the AR book bonus but that still essentially boils down to “keep shooting in that direction” so i doubt that would trip anyone up.

as an aside, i really like the idea of zeds getting knocked down when critically injured to trick players into thinking they’re dead, i hope that is actually a mechanic.

45 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

They are still there. Or do you mean a20? I didn't see any indication they were going to be removed.

Wait, are there? I can't remember them after a16 was the last time? Maybe I'm completely wrong, then my bad