madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

33 minutes ago, Gazz said:

What are you talking about?

It's part of Bavarian culture.

If those cubes are 1 meter cubed then Bavarians are taller than the mythical Goliath...

It's not my fault 7DTD isn't built to scale! Some concessions to realism were made...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PurgatoryWolf said:

But we need hope!

1 hour ago, Pegasus said:

Shhh!  You're raining on my parade!  Let me have the hope!  

Until 11:59pm on the 15th I can still hope it's coming.

Can’t you guys just treat the latest 180 as stable and go full in. It’s pretty much all in there now and nothing stood out negative wise whilst playing since it’s release.

I say build 180 is pretty much it, and even if a few tweaks sneak in it’s not I imagine going to be to radical. 

11 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

If those cubes are 1 meter cubed then Bavarians are taller than the mythical Goliath...

I dunno, 30 of those crates stacked on top of each other is comparable to what we do in game so I think its a fair comparison LOL....

2 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

Can’t you guys just treat the latest 180 as stable and go full in

Just guessing but I know a few of the fequent fliers here are also good bug hunters, and you can't submit bugs for stable if you continue a game from an experimental build (other than the last exp becoming stable). Also from what Faatal posted it seems possible that there will be some AI changes added, so another small build before stable. Or could be waiting for stable because they play on public servers, majority of which I'd guess will restart once stable lands.

Or, for some of these sick puppys (:biggrin1:), it's the anticipation of the opening of the 'Alpha 20 Dev Diary' that's got their knickers all damp. :laugh:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

You mean stipulations such as "Insane difficulty, Nightmare zombie speed day and night, horde every night, 10 minute days, maximum amount of nighttime, nomad lifestyle, the No Crafting Challenge on top of it, 300% AI block damage, 25% loot, 64 max alive, etc."? ;)

Well sure, if you want to do the little baby sissy girl mode!

Try turning off the monitor and sound and go by your spider sense only!

I'm so good at it, that I can play for hours that way (hell, I can play another game AT THE SAME TIME!), walk away from the computer, take a nap and come back and play some more, only then will I die (probably because I took my ninja hands off the keyboard to turn on the monitor).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

only then will I die (probably because I took my ninja hands off the keyboard to turn on the monitor).

Rookie move. Use your foot like everyone else.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Rookie move. Use your foot like everyone else.

*Slaps forehead with foot*  Of Course!

• Haha 1

Just now, Aldranon said:

*Slaps forehead with foot*  Of Course!

Rookie move. You need that for monitor. Use your other foot.

• Haha 4

I've been politely staying out of the 'how hard can you make it' thingy... (partially because of that exact sentence)

But I'm really starting to wonder about you good folk.

'Mericans used to be tough! What's all this nonsense about using your own hands and feet??

I trained my kitty cat to play 7dtd on the hardest settings, but I also modded it so only Demolishers, rad Soldiers, zom-Bears & Dire Wolves spawn. Was a bit of work to simulate Kittys Claws for weapons, but that I did, and that's all he gets.

I'm not cruel, I don't whip him if he dies, I just don't feed him for a couple days until he gets better. His current game he's on day 230+, zero deaths.

Only unintended consequence was I forgot to lock him in a couple nights ago (in the real world), and when I woke up there were six shredded dog carcasses in a pile at the foot of my bed and kitty was looking at me with what I can only characterize as an appraising gaze...

I may have taken things too far...

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, pregnable said:

One of the things I like about playing a miner build is just doing POIs totally wrong for fun. 

I just start where I feel like and knock holes all over the place. 

It is extra fun when you are a duo and the other guy is like, "did you just knock a hole in the wall, right next to a unlocked door?"... and I am like, "Oh, you are right", then I break the unlocked door as well. 

Don't talk to me about knocking stuff down at the side of unlocked doors/gates, lol. It happens to me all the time haha.

Just now, Toban said:

Don't talk to me about knocking stuff down at the side of unlocked doors/gates, lol. It happens to me all the time haha.

I'm obviously too smart for all that. I wait for To an to knock the holes in @%$*#! while I wait to be let in. 🤭😆

5 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm sorry... 😂 But that part cracked me up.

I wholeheartedly agree with you though.

I agree too. If they took away nerd poling. I know Madmole has said they won't. But if they did, it would please only a small percent of people and the rest would be very unhappy. If it is so upsetting to the people who hate it. Don't do it! No one is forcing you.

I use nerd poling to build like many others and not to cheat to the roof of poi's to get things. I can imagine most do the same.

People asking for it to be removed because they don't like it should use restraint, or continue to use restraint.

3 hours ago, RipClaw said:

It's not really surprising. Jonah and you are both hardcore players. So there is a high probability that you both have the same opinion in many things.

But it also means that you are not the kind of players this game is balanced for. Most of us have so many hours of play in this game that we are no longer the kind of players this game is balanced for and this includes me as well. We should always keep that in mind when making suggestions.

So put an option in the setting for us. Same content, more options, different ways to play. I've got 1555 hours in, I'm told these are rookie numbers yet I'm pretty much getting told I'm too good for this game. Its not just three of us D1G, Guru, who knows who else could do this and moved on to other games because the game lacked the survival challenge to keep them anymore. Why would we want to go on to play multiplayer with people who nerd pol in everything they do. It wouldn't just be us either, eventually people would come around and actually play the game to be like them.

I started reading the post indirectly aimed at me but I all I kept reading metaphorically speaking is "I'll never be ready for the deep end of the pool, these water wings are staying on forever, I'll just mock the big kids that swim there to make me feel better about it."

How the hell have some of you got double and triple my hours and not evolved? But instead become so stubborn and closed minded that you will fight to the death to stop any kind of change.

29 minutes ago, Toban said:

I agree too. If they took away nerd poling. I know Madmole has said they won't. But if they did, it would please only a small percent of people and the rest would be very unhappy. If it is so upsetting to the people who hate it. Don't do it! No one is forcing you.

I use nerd poling to build like many others and not to cheat to the roof of poi's to get things. I can imagine most do the same.

People asking for it to be removed because they don't like it should use restraint, or continue to use restraint.

You can't use restraint on multiplayer, self-control doesn't work there, you're saying 'we' have to limit our game to singleplayer because of this. I can exercise all the will and restraint needed in my singleplayer game but multiplayer lacks the uniform rules and balance, I can't control other peoples will and restraint and asking them nicely doesn't work either.

5 hours ago, STyK_ said:

Do you want me to do the next play though just building from scratch? Will that solidify the point? Cause it is totally realistic to hold up in strong already some what fortified structure, look at walking dead. You don't have to be great like I said or play permadeath just pick a difficulty that works for you and don't use the frame like your life depends on it, like it were any other survival game.

Can I just say that in many other games nerd poling isn't needed for building, and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with needing it in this game to build, I love it personally because it lets me plan out my build.

In Ark, you can fly or stand on a Dino to build tall structures. Conan has much larger blocks and you can climb on the walls. Empyrion you can stand on the floor and build way higher than 7.

And in many of the survival games your base isn't under that much threat that you have to build it to withstand a horde of enemies.

In 7, your base needs to have many overhangs, defensive areas that take a lot of designing. Using frames makes it possible. Taking them away will make designing bases a nightmare. Making it so they are not able to be picked up by pressing E would be more of a pain in the bum having to spend ages knocking them down.

Frames don't cost that much to make, and making it so they cannot be taken down will result in many blocks remaining in the world cluttering servers because people will still nerd pole with blocks that cannot be picked up and then cannot be bothered to take it back down. In other games, servers are cluttered with blocks when people trap Dino's or make structures to get to a treasure map ect. They just leave them there and they only have to press E and delete. If people cannot be bothered to do that, no one is going to go to the effort to destroy Frames. Then the server will run like...(insert naughty word here)

I read something Atomic said and that makes sense. If loot could be in a random spot, that would work better than removing nerd poling. Not that I'm saying that should be done because I'm not a programmer and have no idea how easy/hard that would be to do, or how much more stress that would put on computers.

My point is. Nerd poling needs to stay.

This is all just my opinion and not meant to offend. 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

So put an option in the setting for us. Same content, more options, different ways to play. I've got 1555 hours in, I'm told these are rookie numbers yet I'm pretty much getting told I'm too good for this game. Its not just three of us D1G, Guru, who knows who else could do this and moved on to other games because the game lacked the survival challenge to keep them anymore. Why would we want to go on to play multiplayer with people who nerd pol in everything they do. It wouldn't just be us either, eventually people would come around and actually play the game to be like them.

I started reading the post indirectly aimed at me but I all I kept reading metaphorically speaking is "I'll never be ready for the deep end of the pool, these water wings are staying on forever, I'll just mock the big kids that swim there to make me feel better about it."

How the hell have some of you got double and triple my hours and not evolved? But instead become so stubborn and closed minded that you will fight to the death to stop any kind of change.

You can't use restraint on multiplayer, self-control doesn't work there, you're saying 'we' have to limit our game to singleplayer because of this. I can exercise all the will and restraint needed in my singleplayer game but multiplayer lacks the uniform rules and balance, I can't control other peoples will and restraint and asking them nicely doesn't work either.

We've played games where nerd poling isn't a thing. And if you think your sensitive soul is hurt now by people nerd poling, you would be damn right outraged when the server you are playing on, is filled with the clutter of the same players that couldn't stop themselves using nerd poles, placing full blocks in huge towers to just do the same thing you hated before. 

Just my opinion... at this point, don't care if it offends :)

• Poop 1

13 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

But removing nerd poling isn't the answer. That's my point. Something better needs to be done if it is a problem. (I'm not saying it is or not) Removing nerd poling would result in more complaints for TFP than people using it to get to loot. 

But, hey, that's just my opinion.

12 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I can tell you why I have 3500 hours since A15. Its exactly what MM says. M@#'s(the word that shall not be spoken of). I have about 10% of those hours in vanilla and most of that is experimental. The other 90% is M@#'s. 

So I totally agree with MM when he says M@# it, and I have never demanded a change or setting.

3 minutes ago, Toban said:

Can I just say that in many other games nerd poling isn't needed for building, and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with needing it in this game to build, I love it personally because it lets me plan out my build.

In Ark, you can fly or stand on a Dino to build tall structures. Conan has much larger blocks and you can climb on the walls. Empyrion you can stand on the floor and build way higher than 7.

And in many of the survival games your base isn't under that much threat that you have to build it to withstand a horde of enemies.

In 7, your base needs to have many overhangs, defensive areas that take a lot of designing. Using frames makes it possible. Taking them away will make designing bases a nightmare. Making it so they are not able to be picked up by pressing E would be more of a pain in the bum having to spend ages knocking them down.

Frames don't cost that much to make, and making it so they cannot be taken down will result in many blocks remaining in the world cluttering servers because people will still nerd pole with blocks that cannot be picked up and then cannot be bothered to take it back down. In other games, servers are cluttered with blocks when people trap Dino's or make structures to get to a treasure map ect. They just leave them there and they only have to press E and delete. If people cannot be bothered to do that, no one is going to go to the effort to destroy Frames. Then the server will run like...(insert naughty word here)

I read something Atomic said and that makes sense. If loot could be in a random spot, that would work better than removing nerd poling. Not that I'm saying that should be done because I'm not a programmer and have no idea how easy/hard that would be to do, or how much more stress that would put on computers.

My point is. Nerd poling needs to stay.

This is all just my opinion and not meant to offend. 🙂

If they make it so the drone can do the building for you in the equivalent to flying god mod it will be better then nerd poling for building, you won't need it anymore. So the whole crippling building argument doesn't have a leg to stand on. Removing E pick up is not that devastating, use an axe, or whatever the drone will have to remove other blocks you can't pick up. Your even getting some of your wood back.

2 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

If they make it so the drone can do the building for you in the equivalent to flying god mod it will be better then nerd poling for building, you won't need it anymore. So the whole crippling building argument doesn't have a leg to stand on. Removing E pick up is not that devastating, use an axe, or whatever the drone will have to remove other blocks you can't pick up. Your even getting some of your wood back.

What about the people who haven't gone down the right lines to make a drone? Do you think they will wait fir a buddy to come build their base? Or in this shiny nerd pole free world do you imagine the dev team going full Oprah Whinfry and giving out drones on day one for all players? "You get a drone, you get a drone, The whole player base gets a drone!" 

Come on @STyK_ be serious. What you are saying would be everyone would have to have a drone pattern or have gone fully into making a drone before the first horde night.... You are just not making good game sense.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dethar said:

I can tell you why I have 3500 hours since A15. Its exactly what MM says. M@#'s(the word that shall not be spoken of). I have about 10% of those hours in vanilla and most of that is experimental. The other 90% is M@#'s. 

So I totally agree with MM when he says M@# it, and I have never demanded a change or setting.

Once you turn off EAC all legitimacy is out the window. I already have issue with balance in vanilla, its not going to be any better in someones mod, in fact its likely to be worse.

Just now, STyK_ said:

But, my point was who is going to stand there and remove it? It never happens in games. And I play a lot of other games. Servers are cluttered with peoples remaining structures they cannot be bothered to remove. They are a serious issues to servers.

And when do we get the drone? At the start of the game or? And if you have to spec into it, can you imagine the uproar TFP would get. "Why are you forcing us to spec int?" would be a thousand pages long. I don't even know how hard it would be to program. 

The Drone you use to build in Empyrion is a pain in the...(insert naughty word here) it's so hard to control while building.

I just think if you have an issue with people getting to loot in poi's. Removing nerd poling isn't the fix for that issue. But, this is just my opinion and not meant to cause any offence.

6 hours ago, Pegasus said:

So is anyone else anxious for a stable release?  I still have my fingers crossed that maybe it'll come out tomorrow so I can have some uninterrupted time to play.  Work systems are down tomorrow so I can have play time without feeling guilty. :)

I'm so ready for stable lol. I want to build my castle! haha

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Laynie said:

What about the people who haven't gone down the right lines to make a drone? Do you think they will wait fir a buddy to come build their base? Or in this shiny nerd pole free world do you imagine the dev team going full Oprah Whinfry and giving out drones on day one for all players? "You get a drone, you get a drone, The whole player base gets a drone!" 

Come on @STyK_ be serious. What you are saying would be everyone would have to have a drone pattern or have gone fully into making a drone before the first horde night.... You are just not making good game sense.

I have no idea how they are going to lore some of this stuff in but fallout had drone servants in every houses before the nukes. Joel is a pretty big fan of the older fallouts. Have common to find non-weaponized drones. I find power sledges and sell them cause that's not my style, finding a drone for those purposes I'd keep. I'm not trying to back you guys into a corner I'm telling you it can work.

11 minutes ago, Toban said:

But, my point was who is going to stand there and remove it? It never happens in games. And I play a lot of other games. Servers are cluttered with peoples remaining structures they cannot be bothered to remove. They are a serious issues to servers.

And when do we get the drone? At the start of the game or? And if you have to spec into it, can you imagine the uproar TFP would get. "Why are you forcing us to spec int?" would be a thousand pages long. I don't even know how hard it would be to program. 

The Drone you use to build in Empyrion is a pain in the...(insert naughty word here) it's so hard to control while building.

I just think if you have an issue with people getting to loot in poi's. Removing nerd poling isn't the fix for that issue. But, this is just my opinion and not meant to cause any offence.

I've played other survival games too, they usually have a decay on player made walls ect. outside of a land claim or equivalent. They are already talking about poi's resetting if nobody goes near them for X amount of time. I don't see why chunk clean up is outside the realm of possibility.

Spec wise I just want to be a sneaky prick, build, and eat but its not that simple, I have to spec into every other tree to make it work. Science it at the end of nearly every playthough anyone does unless they are purposefully trying to avoid it to make a point or tired of the same old and purposely forcing a different kind of playthough because of the difficulty of the zeds in higher game stages. You'd just be putting in a point earlier then you normally would.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I have no idea how they are going to lore some of this stuff in but fallout had drone servants in every houses before the nukes. Joel is a pretty big fan of the older fallouts. Have common to find non-weaponized drones. I find power sledges and sell them cause that's not my style, finding a drone for those purposes I'd keep. I'm not trying to back you guys into a corner I'm telling you it can work.

So you wake up butt naked with only the ability to create lvl one items and a note from the guys that took all your sh*t...oh wait they took it all except for your drone. How nice of them. 

It works on fallout, because its already in their story. 

How about this, you outline all your ideas and send them into the dev team. I'm sure if they think it's worthwhile trying to fit crap ideas in to massage your ego, i'm sure they will. I tend to think the answer will be, "we already have enough work to do before gold, so there is no point changing things for a function that already works." 

But hey, you don't know unless you try.

I really do hope you find a way to actually enjoy this game for what it is, instead of looking at the little things that annoy you and coming on here and getting irritated because the changes you want seem so impossible. 

You seem to have a fresh argument every day. I don't wish to argue or be mean, but sometimes you really get my goat :)  

Enjoy this awesome game. Make suggestions, have good conversations. Try to not take every answer people give you as a personal attack. Most people that talk on here are passionate about this game and want it to be the best it can when it goes gold. What they don't want is the release date to be hung up because of extra stuff not needed inn the game because you can already do it. IE Nerd poles/ difficulty settings and such. My new phone just arrived. I am moving on to more exciting things for now 😛 

Enjoy ranting, its good for the soul.

Edited by Laynie (see edit history)
  • Like 1