Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

3 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Sure that's why you try and get personal with every single response. Any uncalled for low blow you can come up with. Real pillar of the community.

Hey, can both of you guys drop it? Its not a competition for whomever gets the last word.  If you can't, take it to private messages please.

7 minutes ago, faatal said:

Playing the game on default settings is perfectly fine for the typical gamer I've seen play the game. I can easily take over a POI and survive just fine, but I want the challenge of being forced to build stuff, which makes the game harder, so I turn down AI block damage to suit the challenge I want.

I have ZERO interest in permadeath. I play games to have fun. Not to be stressed out that one death will mean the end to my world.

It makes me laugh every time someone expects me to be great at a game I've worked on. I'm an average gamer and die a lot at any game I play. Knowing how the code works does nothing for my reflexes and attention when playing a game. On any reasonably sized game team, you have great players, horrible players and those in between.

Do you want me to do the next play though just building from scratch? Will that solidify the point? Cause it is totally realistic to hold up in strong already some what fortified structure, look at walking dead. You don't have to be great like I said or play permadeath just pick a difficulty that works for you and don't use the frame like your life depends on it, like it were any other survival game.

I love the way this game feels combat wise  but there's a few progression changes that area  bit silly.

The critical hit system is a mess, having your limited inventory cluttered with items to deal with the result of diceroll that last for a half hour at minimum that make you more likely to have to roll the dice and deal with it over and over is crippling. It seems good on paper but the implementation needs work if not just being removed.

The parts, oh god the parts. I would so VASTLY prefer the old weapon parts system over the new one. I get it was to make finding even level 1  items "useful"  but when combined with the new level locked loot it's a nightmare since you can't prepare  weapons in advance to enter into higher game stages and needing to scrap dozens of steel tools to make  one good one is ridiculous when finding a crucible and investing points is already more than enough

Leveled loot does NOT belong in a survival game, an RPG/ARPG sure but we're so far past the old Morrowind style system of leveling up with use that it doesn't make sense. As it is it's just a leash, a way for the game  to keep  you from progressing until it says you can ESPECIALLY if you're a solo/hermit player who can't make use of the group llevel mechanic.

And finally the @%$*#!ing vultures. No, just no,. I get it's to avoid vehicle cheese but turning a mob that was  designed as an enemy to be a deadly nuisance to injured players into gods of death that teleport to you if you so much as hop on a bicycle near them is RIDICULOUS especially since the whole point of said vehicles is faster and safer travel.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk :v

Just now, STyK_ said:

Sure that's why you try and get personal with every single response. Any uncalled for low blow you can come up with. Real pillar of the community.

What low blows are you talking about? 

I have deliberately been trying to be nice in my responses and phrase them as diplomatically as I can.

Is it because I say I don't watch your videos and don't care about your play style?  If you bring up your play style as a justification for your stance, then it is not a low blow to state that I don't play that way and don't care to watch you play your way, nor do I ever intend to play your way.  You are the one saying that other players need to grow the balls and play like real men (which, btw, is completely impossible for me ... I do not have the necessary equipment).  You are the one calling people cheaters and worse.

I admit that in the past I did make a personal attack on you and I've already apologized for that. I am trying very hard to not do so again ... but you're making it very difficult. 

But I honestly don't understand why you have a problem with someone pointing out flaws in your arguments ... unless you just do not want to be challenged at all.

Every time the subject comes up I will state that I do not like the idea. I am sorry if that hurts your feelings, but if you cannot handle someone objecting to your ideas you probably should not be posting them in a public debate forum.

4 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Hey, can both of you guys drop it? Its not a competition for whomever gets the last word.  If you can't, take it to private messages please.

Sorry ... I'm walking away now.  You are correct.

21 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I know this is slightly unrelated, but will zombies be able to attack closed hatches now from underneath while they are still on the ladder? Or is this already a feature?

I added that back in A18...19? Months ago. Probably 19.

Now things do break sometimes, so no guarantees in b180, since I have not tested it in a while.

20 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

I see... yeah, that is true. Thanks. Is the current block data such as id, texture, rotation, etc attached to individual voxel objects as properties of varying data types with references to those voxel objects stored, or is it like that but a single byte array representing all data for that voxel object, or are separate map-like three-dimensional data structures used for each property of a voxel?
I'm just curious for the sake of knowledge. I've always wondered about that and I've always wondered if there would be any differences performance-wise (I know for certain the multiple maps is a maintenance/code readability nightmare).

Chunks are multiple byte arrays of the different parts of data. Yes it can be hard to read/change/improve and the programmer who wrote most of that is no longer with the company, so I just keep it maintained for now. It gets the job done.

11 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

You are the one saying that other players need to grow the balls and play like real men (which, btw, is completely impossible for me ... I do not have the necessary equipment).  You are the one calling people cheaters and worse.

I came out strong because while I was away and this guy was asking, everybody acted like there was no issues, so yes I came back and made them look pretty dumb laying it all out.

I admit that in the past I did make a personal attack on you and I've already apologized for that. I am trying very hard to not do so again ... but you're making it very difficult. 

you actually never stopped

But I honestly don't understand why you have a problem with someone pointing out flaws in your arguments ... unless you just do not want to be challenged at all.

your responses are literally the same thing over and over and I prove you wrong and you insult me and then respond with the same thing again. 

Every time the subject comes up I will state that I do not like the idea. I am sorry if that hurts your feelings, but if you cannot handle someone objecting to your ideas you probably should not be posting them in a public debate forum.

every time the subject comes up you make it your personal mission you attack and low blow me how ever you can even though I come up with answers and I have video evidence to prove everything I'm talking about and you say 'I don't care' insult me 'we can't live without this' and the cycle begins again.

14 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Do you want me to do the next play though just building from scratch? Will that solidify the point? Cause it is totally realistic to hold up in strong already some what fortified structure, look at walking dead. You don't have to be great like I said or play permadeath just pick a difficulty that works for you and don't use the frame like your life depends on it, like it were any other survival game.

Eh? Use the frame a certain way? My response had nothing to do with using frames. I was just talking about the overall game.

If you are talking about nerd poling, I don't really care one way or the other. I use it sometimes, but not that much. I prefer ladders up the sides of buildings.

3 minutes ago, faatal said:

Chunks are multiple byte arrays of the different parts of data. Yes it can be hard to read/change/improve and the programmer who wrote most of that is no longer with the company, so I just keep it maintained for now. It gets the job done.

Ouch. I'm sorry.
I bought a few more copies of 7D2D and handed them out. Treat yourself to some 15-yr old cans of green beans on me.

So is anyone else anxious for a stable release?  I still have my fingers crossed that maybe it'll come out tomorrow so I can have some uninterrupted time to play.  Work systems are down tomorrow so I can have play time without feeling guilty. :)

Just now, Pegasus said:

So is anyone else anxious for a stable release?  I still have my fingers crossed that maybe it'll come out tomorrow so I can have some uninterrupted time to play.  Work systems are down tomorrow so I can have play time without feeling guilty. :)

For sure. I figure they're going to do what they did the last couple of releases and just roll the current experimental into stable

I thought that they had announced it was coming out the 15th was that changed?

2 minutes ago, faatal said:

Eh? Use the frame a certain way? My response had nothing to do with using frames. I was just talking about the overall game.

If you are talking about nerd poling, I don't really care one way or the other. I use it sometimes, but not that much. I prefer ladders up the sides of buildings.

are you Canadian too?
Ok I though that was at me and this argument.

Just now, PurgatoryWolf said:

For sure. I figure they're going to do what they did the last couple of releases and just roll the current experimental into stable

Maybe ... they've mentioned some more bugs though, so I'm a little less hopeful... but I still have hope! There's always a chance, right?  At least until the big Kahuna comes in and says it's not happening.

3 minutes ago, PurgatoryWolf said:

I thought that they had announced it was coming out the 15th was that changed?

All stable versions should come from an experimental version, since they get more testing than a non released build.

I have not seen us announce any dates.

5 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

are you Canadian too?
Ok I though that was at me and this argument.

Definitely not. Born, raised and live in Indiana, USA.

3 minutes ago, faatal said:

All stable versions should come from an experimental version, since they get more testing than a non released build.

I have not seen us announce any dates.

They did last week on the steam discussion boards as a tentative release of the 15th.  They were very clear about the word tentative ... and all that.  But heck, I've been hoping for a stable release for about 2 weeks now.  LOL

And it's already after midnight here so it's technically already tomorrow ... so it might be Christmas soon!  

But i don't think it's midnight there yet ... time zones confuse the beejezus out of me ... so while it's tomorrow now here i don't think it's tomorrow yet there.

Archived