Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Or cut down the light pole and harvest the steel after if falls. But the only saw we have only cuts down trees. Almost every event used for nerdpoling can be done a different way. The problem is how much time it would take. I’ve never used it to get to the loot, but do use it in cases where it saves a bunch of time like getting steel from lightposts. This game depends on time management so saving time on a few tasks is a good thing, imo. I enjoy going into every single poi and going to each room so I can strip it of everything I can sell. So using nerdpoles to get the loot would take all the fun out of doing a poi for me but I do use nerdpoles for other things. {shrugs} to each his own I guess. I really only care how I play, not anyone else.

3 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Sorry for the OT, but I'd like to point something out about how some words are used in relation to the 7D2D game.

Nerd Poling : the improvised "pole" made by stacking wood (or metal) frames on top of each other to quickly reach higher ground.

Nerd Polling : interviews to a sufficiently wide group of Nerds about some ludicrous matter.

Horde Night : a synonymous for Blood Moon night, the night in which the horde comes for you!

Hoard Night : a special night when thieves come together and steal a flabbergasting amount of stuff.

Defense Turret : an automatic turret that shoots at enemies if connected to power and loaded with ammo.

Defense Turrent : a small tower that projects from the wall of a building, especially a medieval castle.

- The Grammar Nazi :heh:

tur·ret

(tûr′ĭt, tŭr′-)

n.
1. A small tower or tower-shaped projection on a building.
a. A low, heavily armored structure, usually rotating horizontally, containing mounted guns and their gunners or crew, as on a warship or tank.
b. A domelike gunner's enclosure projecting from the fuselage of a combat aircraft.
3. A tall wooden structure mounted on wheels and used in ancient warfare by besiegers to scale the walls of an enemy fortress.

One thing i would love to see in the game, a type of horde mode, i understand the game had it at one point unless im misremembering what others have said, but my take on it.

You are given an area highlighted to build in, you are given a chest that has a certain amount of materials inside to construct a base, collect the materials and a timer begins, build away.  Once the timer is done the building supplies vanish from your inventory, in a selected spot a poi spawns, you loot the poi, no zombies yet, only weapons and armor can be looted and not crafted, once every container is looted you get teleported outside and the poi vanishes, a 2 min timer begins for you to get to your base, now you must defend against a wave of random zombies.  Once completed, should you survive another builders crate will appear, for you to add onto your wave base, and then another random poi, and it keeps going till you die, only exp earned is from zombies killed.

Would make for an interesting mode to be sure and have people practise building bases

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

It wasn't me who brought up "20-30 high level zombies" and is now changing his story to only 3. It is so easy to shoot down arguments when they are made with exaggerated numbers.

Pfft.  Light weight.  I held off a horde of 379 zombies using only a broken stick and a rock!  While naked, at midnight, with no lights, on nightmare difficulty.  While standing on my head and whistling Dixie.  And juggling a dozen bowling balls with my feet.

Top that!

1 hour ago, Roland said:

He works for Cirque du Solei. It’s really the only way...

I think I saw something like that on America's Got Talent.  Of course, the guy was also like 20 years old and built something like a mac truck ... and could probably bench press said truck.  

14 minutes ago, Roland said:

Too overwhelmed to do anything but quote?

Give yourself 20-30 minutes and you’ll be able completely post again. 

Well, depends on how old he is Roland.  Sometimes it takes a little longer....

I am so going to get in trouble ...  I think I'd better go back to my tv show.  LOL

4 hours ago, Pegasus said:

Y'all are still forgetting that there are legitimate reasons to use nerdpoling, and removing it would seriously impact builders, as would the inability to pick up placed frames.  Digging support pillars to bedrock would be nearly impossible without nerdpoling.  You're talking about building above ground ... which is great ... but there are people who build underground too where your so called building strategies wouldn't work.  

I'm sorry that you don't like people doing this ... but if you play on a single person game and you're not doing it, what the heck do you care?   

I fail to understand why this is such an issue ... if you don't like it, don't do it. 

What does it matter if someone else, in their own game, is doing something you don't like? 

Why do you care if someone in a game you are not in paints themselves purple, runs around naked and fornicates with bears?  It's their game ... leave them alone. 

If you don't like watching streams with people doing this ... don't watch the streams.  

Lord have mercy people.  Get a clue ... everyone doesn't play the same way.  People have different play styles, they have different things they like to do.  I'm very glad you like your play style ... have at it.  Quit trying to force me to play the same way you do.

First off I will say, I agree removing nerd poling is waste of time.

My question is why do you need support pillars to bedrock? I  have built some fairly tall structures and as long as I have solid base, I have had no issues.

7 minutes ago, Dethar said:

First off I will say, I agree removing nerd poling is waste of time.

My question is why do you need support pillars to bedrock? I  have built some fairly tall structures and as long as I have solid base, I have had no issues.

It's an old habit from playing a busy multiplayer server.  When the server was full it would sometimes stutter, and if it stuttered while doing whatever stability calculations, it would sometimes imagine air pockets in the ground ... and the structures would come tumbling down ... and after a few collapses like that i started putting in the bedrock pillars ... no more collapses caused by server brain farts.

Also, we had some idiots who liked to dig down to bedrock then just tunnel in a straight line ... and if they happened to undermine an area and you didn't know it, if you put your land claim there and built, sometimes the underground voids would cause instability in the build ... and collapses. 

Again, it's just easier to dig the support pillars.  Plus, it's a great way to get rock for cobble and cement.  Since vertical support doesn't depend on the material built i can build the underground pillars out of wood ... and just concrete them at the top layers in case of diggity diggity zombies.

3 hours ago, Kalen said:

It seems you don't have a problem with it.... I'd love to hear from someone who does and see why the unrealistic nature of nerd poling is a problem, but, for example, carrying 100 wooden frames is not a problem.

Sorry I was playing and recording.

Nerd poling, if you've been playing long enough you've probably figured out that having frames on your tool belt is an excellent way to evade zombies. Run up to the side of a building nerd pol up high where they can't get you and rain hell on them till they are dead. Congratulation you pretty much just beat the game using this tactic everywhere until you get enough exp, perks, and weapons to grow some balls and take them on the right way. The more realistic emmersive way. You bat way above your average using that tactic, anyone can beat the game on the hardest difficulty/speed doing that. Take a way the frame and play the game like a man. #$%^#'s!:boxing2:

Then there is the problems on multiplayer, loot rooms being short cut to and raided with minimal fighting with zeds, being able to nerd pol to the sky and 'oh$&%drops' into the fortified perimeter of someone base. If you read what I said about security and using the solar panel, pretty much a waste of money when someone can just fall out of the sky with nothing to lose and hack it apart. Not specifically multiplayer but blocking doorways with frames un-upgraded, the cheesy base designs and exploits it helps create. I can come up with more reasons and have. It all goes back to %$&*# tactics.

When the game is definitely playable without the frame and all its power. I'm playing Permadeath on Insane Nightmare with 25% loot 64 zed horde nights and doing just fine without it. There is no reason why anyone else should need it on a lower difficulty. Play at the level you think your at without it, its way more rewarding. Everything you do with the frame legitimately is do-able without the frame. 

If it came between me dieing or nerd poling up a wall to get away I'd rather die cause I wouldn't feel like a $##^& afterwards.

And yes carrying massive amounts of everything is a problem but that has to do with the way the inventory system is setup. Honestly don't like that either but I doubt they are going to redesign that now.

I didn't see anything on it .. So I'm Asking .. IS IT intendent to RAIN for a day and a half with update b180 .. it started the night of the 5day and now it is the evening of the 6th day .. I do mind Rain .. but it is pouring through 3 floors in my base.

Just wondering, Have Fun and Be Safe ... the Old Gamer .. 😌

Just now, gpcstargate said:

I didn't see anything on it .. So I'm Asking .. IS IT intendent to RAIN for a day and a half with update b180 .. it started the night of the 5day and now it is the evening of the 6th day .. I do mind Rain .. but it is pouring through 3 floors in my base.

You better start building yourself that Ark and capture two of every zombie, for it is going to rain for the next 40 days and 40 nights. 😛

Just now, gpcstargate said:

that was my day 6 last play though, so your not alone, if its supposed to be like that I don't know.

14 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Sorry I was playing and recording.

Nerd poling, if you've been playing long enough you've probably figured out that having frames on your tool belt is an excellent way to evade zombies. Run up to the side of a building nerd pol up high where they can't get you and rain hell on them till they are dead. Congratulation you pretty much just beat the game using this tactic everywhere until you get enough exp, perks, and weapons to grow some balls and take them on the right way. The more realistic emmersive way. You bat way above your average using that tactic, anyone can beat the game on the hardest difficulty/speed doing that. Take a way the frame and play the game like a man. #$%^#'s!:boxing2:

Then there is the problems on multiplayer, loot rooms being short cut to and raided with minimal fighting with zeds, being able to nerd pol to the sky and 'oh$&%drops' into the fortified perimeter of someone base. If you read what I said about security and using the solar panel, pretty much a waste of money when someone can just fall out of the sky with nothing to lose and hack it apart. I can come up with more reasons and have.

When the game is definitely playable without the frame and all its power. I'm playing Permadeath on Insane Nightmare with 25% loot 64 zed horde nights and doing just fine without it. There is no reason why anyone else should need it on a lower difficulty. Play at the level you think your at without it, its way more rewarding. If it came between me dieing or nerd poling up a wall to get away I'd rather die cause I would feel like a $##^& afterwards.

And yes carrying massive amounts of everything is a problem but that has to do with the way the inventory system is setup. Honestly don't like that either but I doubt they are going to redesign that now.

So if they take away nerd poling, the people who would play in this manner are not going to find another way to play that's just as annoying to you? We all know that's not true ... they're just going to find some new way ... like run up the existing stairways and break them behind them.  Same result ... different method.

You've admitted you don't play multiplayer.  And I've not seen your builds so I can't comment on your skill or lack there of with designing a base.

But there are simple solutions to the issue you're talking about with multiplayer.

First ... you are equating all multiplayer with PvP.  Not all servers are PvP, many are PvE ... so your argument is moot for those servers since base raiding is not allowed.

Second ... using blocks to jump over someone's wall has always been an issue.  So instead of nerdpoling up they'll just build a ramp.  Still an issue.  Are you going to take away all forms of building just because you don't like something?

Third ... there are ways to prevent this ... you have a "deadzone" inside your land claim block where you do not build ... start your walls a certain number of blocks back, then even with parkour someone cannot jump into your base/over the walls.

But if people are going to find other ways around what you find so objectionable, why remove a mechanic from the game that is useful for other situations? 

12 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

You better start building yourself that Ark and capture two of every zombie, for it is going to rain for the next 40 days and 40 nights. 😛

I am NOT going to ask about your breeding program ... 

Archived