Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

14 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

So if they take away nerd poling, the people who would play in this manner are not going to find another way to play that's just as annoying to you? We all know that's not true ... they're just going to find some new way ... like run up the existing stairways and break them behind them.  Same result ... different method.

You've admitted you don't play multiplayer.  And I've not seen your builds so I can't comment on your skill or lack there of with designing a base.

But there are simple solutions to the issue you're talking about with multiplayer.

First ... you are equating all multiplayer with PvP.  Not all servers are PvP, many are PvE ... so your argument is moot for those servers since base raiding is not allowed.

Second ... using blocks to jump over someone's wall has always been an issue.  So instead of nerdpoling up they'll just build a ramp.  Still an issue.  Are you going to take away all forms of building just because you don't like something?

Third ... there are ways to prevent this ... you have a "deadzone" inside your land claim block where you do not build ... start your walls a certain number of blocks back, then even with parkour someone cannot jump into your base/over the walls.

But if people are going to find other ways around what you find so objectionable, why remove a mechanic from the game that is useful for other situations? 

Are you seriously trying to say the game is unplayable without the frame after I've just spent 28 hours + doing it on the hardest diff/speed loot abundance? I won't play pvp in its current state thats what I have said and so have others. Are you trying to say the mod you play on is the only and important one? Who is thinking only about themselves now? It wouldn't be taking away all forms of building I'm doing just fine building. No but they can build/nerd pol to the sky limit make a runway run and jump with oh^*%$drops to inside of that deadzone. Even at maximum size and small base you could do it. The dead zones don't go to the sky limit. Because it isn't actually needed, its your safety blanket, I can do anything you can do without nerd poling.

Thought you withdrew from this argument after I proved you wrong 2 hrs ago.

go ahead @MechanicalLenscheck all my unedited vids on Operation Broken Bow, its proof. Ask me to do anything you think can't be done without nerd poling, go ahead.

1 minute ago, STyK_ said:

Are you seriously trying to say the game is unplayable without the frame after I've just spent 28 hours + doing it on the hardest diff/speed loot abundance? I won't play pvp in its current state thats what I have said and so have others. Are you trying to say the mod you play on is the only and important one? Who is thinking only about themselves now? It wouldn't be taking away all forms of building I'm doing just fine building. No but they can build/nerd pol to the sky limit make a runway run and jump with oh^*%$drops to inside of that deadzone. Even at maximum size and small base you could do it. The dead zones don't go to the sky limit. Because it isn't actually needed, its your safety blanket, I can do anything you can do without nerd poling.

And again, you're back to being ridiculous and antagonistic instead of responding calmly to what I laid out.  

I did not say the game was unplayable. I said that someone is going to find a way to do these things even without the frames.  And if the behavior is going to continue, what is the use of taking out a useful mechanic that most people like and enjoy?

And as for your play through ... I don't watch your channel.  I don't foresee a time when I will watch your channel.  Your play style is not of any interest to me, whatsoever.  I don't care if you play by yourself, if you play PvP, if you play PvE or if you play hide and go seek with Barney and Mr. Magoo.  Here's a clue ... I don't care about you.  You are not as important as you think you are.

I don't know what kind of building you do, I've not seen your buildings.  I know that the type of building I do would be severely hampered by not being able to nerd pole.  If you can build without, good for you, I am happy for you.  Continue building the way you like and I will continue building the way I like.

I am saying that some people will always find a way to do things the easy way, the cheap way, the non-hardcore way.

If you remove the frames then they will find something else to do that will probably hack you off just as much if not more.  Then you'll be back here trying to get whatever the new way is removed.

And I'm sure you can do everything I can do, on a harder difficulty, blindfolded, in the snow, with your hands tied behind your back.  Congratulations.  Not everyone plays that way or on that same level of difficulty. 

Not everyone does the things that make you so angry about the frames.  Everyone does not have to play the same way. 

My opinion is just as valid as your opinion.  You can propose this over and over and post antagonistic remarks all you like, until you get yourself banned.

I am allowed to state, unequivocally, that there are other ways to do things that don't require removal of the frames and crippling building for people who like to build. And I will do so every time you bring this up.

14 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

you don't, you play the game like you would any other game where a little hollow box doesn't hold unlimited uses and beat the game for you.

You were supposed to tell me how to nerd pole after nerd poling was removed. 

We were going to have a beautiful paradox joke, and you ruined it. 

5 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

Your play style is not of any interest to me, whatsoever.  I don't care if you play by yourself, if you play PvP, if you play PvE or if you play hide and go seek with Barney and Mr. Magoo.  

I'm sorry... 😂 But that part cracked me up.

I wholeheartedly agree with you though.

5 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

And again, you're back to being ridiculous and antagonistic instead of responding calmly to what I laid out.  

I did not say the game was unplayable. I said that someone is going to find a way to do these things even without the frames.  And if the behavior is going to continue, what is the use of taking out a useful mechanic that most people like and enjoy?

And as for your play through ... I don't watch your channel.  I don't foresee a time when I will watch your channel.  Your play style is not of any interest to me, whatsoever.  I don't care if you play by yourself, if you play PvP, if you play PvE or if you play hide and go seek with Barney and Mr. Magoo.  Here's a clue ... I don't care about you.  You are not as important as you think you are.

I don't know what kind of building you do, I've not seen your buildings.  I know that the type of building I do would be severely hampered by not being able to nerd pole.  If you can build without, good for you, I am happy for you.  Continue building the way you like and I will continue building the way I like.

I am saying that some people will always find a way to do things the easy way, the cheap way, the non-hardcore way.

If you remove the frames then they will find something else to do that will probably hack you off just as much if not more.  Then you'll be back here trying to get whatever the new way is removed.

And I'm sure you can do everything I can do, on a harder difficulty, blindfolded, in the snow, with your hands tied behind your back.  Congratulations.  Not everyone plays that way or on that same level of difficulty. 

Not everyone does the things that make you so angry about the frames.  Everyone does not have to play the same way. 

My opinion is just as valid as your opinion.  You can propose this over and over and post antagonistic remarks all you like, until you get yourself banned.

I am allowed to state, unequivocally, that there are other ways to do things that don't require removal of the frames and crippling building for people who like to build. And I will do so every time you bring this up.

Actually this was just supposed to be me explaining to two different people the issues with the frame and they actually asked. You showed up and turned it into a debate both times. Go ahead look back, I even said I didn't want to get into a debate and then you showed up.

Because you just can't resist.

9 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

It makes sense. Does the game know the difference between a generated block and a player-placed one? If not, would a 1-bit boolean value added to store this information have an impact on performance?

I don't think any data indicates the difference. 1 bit would work, but that means finding saved data that has a bit available, which might not exist currently, so we would need to add a byte otherwise.

Actually this was just supposed to be me explaining to two different people the issues with the frame and they actually asked. You showed up and turned it into a debate both times. Go ahead look back, I even said I didn't want to get into a debate and then you showed up.

Oh, I see.  So this ISN'T a forum for debate as you've said previously on multiple occasions?  I guess it's just STyK's little post-o-rama board then?  You can say anything you like, but other people cannot say they dislike your ideas?

Hate to tell you buddy, but it doesn't work like that.

[The giant red curtains pull back and a large group of men and women in top hats, suits, and walking canes gallop on stage]

Lead Vocalist: Ban hammer! It's time we swung down the ban hammer! Ban hammer! It's time we swung down the--

Chorus: Ban hammer!

Lead Vocalist: Ban hammer! Oh how I love thee ban hammer! You swing it like a bat, you whack it down and your head goes splat! Teeth, sweat, tears fly off the great and wonderful--

Chorus: Ban hammer! Ban hammer! Ban hammer!

Lead Vocalist: Ban hammer!

Lead Vocalist: Oh what class it has, swinging right with the greatest might, no tornado can compare, this mallet brings despair. What do we need?

Lead Vocalist: What do we need?

Lead Vocalist: I can't heaaaaar you!

Chorus: BAN HAMMER!

Lead Vocalist + Chorus: Oh the sweet old beautiful ban hammer! Head go splat, hands get fat, windows smash, the audience claps, and everyone cheers for the great, the grand, the large, the one, the one old sweet beautiful ban hammmmmmer!

*Top hats go flying in the sky*

*Clears throat.* That's enough from me folks. *Walks off stage*

(Sorry, I've been meaning to pull that one off for ages. 😛)

you just can't resist attacking me.

are you seriously that afraid I'm right?

I am not attacking you.  The fact that you think that someone disagreeing with you is attacking you says a lot about your mentality.

I have pointed out the flaws in your argument and all you do is attack and get belligerent.  I'm not a child that you will run off with baseless accusations and deflections.  

I'm not afraid you're right.  You have done nothing to counter the arguments other than being defensive and belligerent. 

But this is pointless. You can not or will not discuss like an adult and I'm tired of hearing how super awesome you are.  

I've said what I have to say.  Have fun playing with yourself on your super hard settings.  I'm going to have some fun.

6 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

I'm confused about the nerd pole issue.
I was under the impression that removing it is a moot effort. Someone could just make a double tower so that you don't have to place a block below you.
I can see the idea of zombies climbing frames working out the best, but that's not exactly removal.

if they remove 'E' pick up on frames it will at least cost the player those resources. If they made it so the frames could stack only so high before it collapses that would limit them too. Like MM said, he could make a staircase out of marble to the roof it he wanted but at least it would cost him those resources to do it. Also someone can come along and knock it down. Zeds climbing frames is a great idea combined with what I've mentioned. They have the idea that the drone can do the building that you would need nerd polling for. Its all about discouraging. Honestly the cherry on top would be that unbuilt frames can't hold wait but I can't see MM letting that one happen.

6 hours ago, STyK_ said:

Take it easy, he asked.

And it was because the alleged best player in the game (Jonah) said 'that nerd polling was one of those things that should probably be removed.'

Then you showed up the first time acting like the sky is falling cause nerd poling was brought up. Blew it way out of pre-portion while while I'm saying

5 hours ago, STyK_ said:

you guy are going to get me in trouble, I didn't want to start another debate, it was an interesting fact that we share the same opinion.

then

@Pegasus

6 hours ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

Well I found that "bouncy ladder" exploit, and I vote for fixing it :) But I can find more and I want to see hardcore game in 7DTD without this "zero-cost" bases. So if I make a video with "most cheated" bases with flying buildings, exploits, flying pieces of terrain etc - can you fix it? :)

Well, yeah. Zombies should not be crawling above and falling back down onto ladders. It looks stupid beyond it stopping them attacking. I already have it fixed, but still have some edge cases with them moving around on ladders, than did not get done today, so hopefully Monday.

Can we fix it depends on what it is. Then even if we decide to fix it, it then depends on what priority it compares to dozens of bugs we already know about.

Just now, faatal said:

Well, yeah. Zombies should not be crawling above and falling back down onto ladders. It look stupid beyond it stopping them attacking. I already have it fixed, but still have some edge cases with them moving around on ladders, than did not get done today, so hopefully Monday.

Can we fix it depends on what it is. Then even if we decide to fix it, it then depends on what priority it compares to dozens of bugs we already know about.

I know this is slightly unrelated, but will zombies be able to attack closed hatches now from underneath while they are still on the ladder? Or is this already a feature?

5 hours ago, Kalen said:

It seems you don't have a problem with it.... I'd love to hear from someone who does and see why the unrealistic nature of nerd poling is a problem, but, for example, carrying 100 wooden frames is not a problem.

so I responded because he also asked and wanted to hear from me

so yes they asked I responded and you blew things way out of pre-portion both times. Because you just can't help resist fighting me whenever it gets brought up.

@Pegasus

5 minutes ago, faatal said:

I don't think any data indicates the difference. 1 bit would work, but that means finding saved data that has a bit available, which might not exist currently, so we would need to add a byte otherwise.

I see... yeah, that is true. Thanks. Is the current block data such as id, texture, rotation, etc attached to individual voxel objects as properties of varying data types with references to those voxel objects stored, or is it like that but a single byte array representing all data for that voxel object, or are separate map-like three-dimensional data structures used for each property of a voxel?
I'm just curious for the sake of knowledge. I've always wondered about that and I've always wondered if there would be any differences performance-wise (I know for certain the multiple maps is a maintenance/code readability nightmare).

5 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

so I responded because he also asked and wanted to here from me

so yes they asked I responed and you blew things way out of pre-portion both times. Because you just can't help resist fighting me whenever it gets brought up.

@Pegasus

I am objecting to the idea, not to you.

You cannot manage to respond cordially to anyone, and especially not to me.

But whatever feeds your persecution complex dear.  Do carry on.

6 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

I think if you guys..literally the "gods" of this virtual world have to turn stuff down from default settings, that should maybe be telling you something..

I challenge all of the fun pimps staff to play on default settings for a month, with the only restriction being self imposed "permadeath".

Then if you can do that, I wont fuss when Madmole wants to add feral night sense or other unbalanced things to the game...

Playing the game on default settings is perfectly fine for the typical gamer I've seen play the game. I can easily take over a POI and survive just fine, but I want the challenge of being forced to build stuff, which makes the game harder, so I turn down AI block damage to suit the challenge I want.

I have ZERO interest in permadeath. I play games to have fun. Not to be stressed out that one death will mean the end to my world.

It makes me laugh every time someone expects me to be great at a game I've worked on. I'm an average gamer and die a lot at any game I play. Knowing how the code works does nothing for my reflexes and attention when playing a game. On any reasonably sized game team, you have great players, horrible players and those in between.

1 minute ago, Pegasus said:

I am objecting to the idea, not to you.

You cannot manage to respond cordially to anyone, and especially not to me.

But whatever feeds your persecution complex dear.  Do carry on.

Sure that's why you try and get personal with every single response. Any uncalled for low blow you can come up with. Real pillar of the community.

Archived