Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Each zombie type could still have some ‘flavor’ to their dropped loot - you just have to include some more widely useful stuff, too. What I do is make a “generic zombie backpack” loot list, and then each type of zombie drops a backpack whose contents are split between generic loot and their unique loot.

For instance, the utility/construction worker zombie has a 25% chance of generic loot (per roll - the pack has 1-3 items), and a 75% chance of dropping mining helmets, forged iron, tools, or whatever other ‘flavor’ items he has. The percentages vary based on how unique or ‘flavorful’ the zombie is. Zombie Boe and others with no visible specialty have 100% generic loot.

I will say maintaining this has been the biggest time expenditure for ComSenMod, but it’s been worth it. Prioritizing nurse zombies when you wanted/needed medicine was really fun!

Yeah, I miss searching for nurses to hopefully get antibiotics. A system like the upcoming trader specialization for zombie loot would be sweet!:rapture:

Players have been making that argument for years, and I just don't buy it. Two points.

First, over time the AI has had problems in traversing a variety of cases, including

• player underground
  • player on stilts
  • player riding
  • player treading water
  • broken stairs
  • broken ladder rung
  • hatch
  • can't fit between certain-shaped blocks
  • can't walk on certain-shaped blocks

In every one of these cases, you could have thrown up your hands and said oh well, good enough, exploiters gonna exploit. But you've cultivated a good track record by now. You can put a check mark next to most of these items as fixed. And every time you have, you've made the game better in the process: made another path balanced or at least balance-able.

Second, players aren't finding exploits just out of spite. They find the exploits largely because they've been put in a situation that rewards creative thinking. They are in a survival sandbox game, thrown to the wolves and under pressure to figure out the how of surviving for themselves. In other words, players are pushed into a role where they explore what's at their disposal, and ruthlessly leverage what they can find. That's what a sandbox survival game is all about. So please don't ask us to tie one hand behind our backs, and pretend there's a bigger challenge than there really is. That's poison to the survival thought process.

Lets not exaggerate what I said. We'll continue to fix major exploits but at some point its diminishing return and users who want a challenge can exhibit some self control or move on. There will always be some new exploit and we can't be fixing those in 2025.

Threading water luckily is one of the exploits that can be fixed relatively easy by taking a look at reality. There are not that many people that can thread water all night in their soaked full gear with backpack in cold water. Hypothermia, stamina loss and then drowning are usually the results in such situations. I remember a streaming using it once to beat my mod and then I added some buffs that made swimming for longer times very dangerous, causing hypothermia among others.

But I agree overal, exploits need to be addressed and turned into something that could work for say a limited time or against a certain challenge only. It is not necessarily a bad thing zombies cannot get to the player all the time, but when a big horde hits they need to have some ability to get to the player, damage him or bring the player to them by bringing down the structure they are on. There are improvements to be made to those things for sure, its better than it was, yes, but you can easily still climb on any POI roof and be safe, even from a bloodmoon horde.

Yeah we just need to put a stamina cost to treading water.

I would suggest all zombies float on water. This makes players wanting to hide would need to stay submerged for a long period or try evading them "floaters". Adding debuffs like hypothermia or swimming fatigue may be good, but considering it against a lack of breath is different. Players will not be able to float in one spot for long (at least underwater), so they won't be 100% safe.

I'd rather see them swim, so there is no safe place.

if they dont breath and dont have air in their lungs how the #$@! do they make all those noises!!! to the point once their heads are shot off they still make noise for 10 seconds...

IMO zombies breath out of habit, but don't need to breath. Oxygen isn't needed for muscle contractions, or function.

Yeah we just need to put a stamina cost to treading water.

Do you guys not have vultures in your hordes. The water exploit stops being a thing after the first horde if you're lucky. Water is already a pain in the ass, now you essentially want to make it the new rad zone.

Having zombies being able to "climb" up and down in water is much more interesting. Especially for water bases.

IMO zombies breath out of habit, but don't need to breath. Oxygen isn't needed for muscle contractions, or function.

Only for some seconds. Or do you think your heart (a contracting muscle) continues beating when you are out of oxygen?

No biologic metazoan can live without oxygen. (Ok except for the little thing, Henneguya salminicola, israelian scientists published an article upon this week).

Not entirely accurate. It's not directly used up but, without Oxygen, ATP(that IS directly used up) would run out rather quickly.

that makes sense. Because some zombies (Mainly the Hazmat zombie) can breather with his suit on even though the Air in the Tank is Probably out.

But i would love to see Zombies Swim to you. if your on the lake Ground. they will run, if your swimming on the surface they swim

Only for some seconds. Or do you think your heart (a contracting muscle) continues beating when you are out of oxygen?

No biologic metazoan can live without oxygen. (Ok except for the little thing, Henneguya salminicola, israelian scientists published an article upon this week).

Ok well then we can say a zombies metabolic rate or heart beat is so slow that they could go underwater for hours at a time like a turtle.

A corpse doesn't need to breathe to float. The RMS Carpathia reported having to navigate aroumd floating corpses while looking for survivors of the titanic.

The determining factors are mostly fat/muscle ratio. My father has a lot more fat than me... he floats, I don't.

Fun fact!

Due to the differences in fat distribution women tend to float on their back while men tend float on thier front if they're unconcious.

Ok well then we can say a zombies metabolic rate or heart beat is so slow that they could go underwater for hours at a time like a turtle.

Or the virus/bacteria produces it's own oxygen from the decaying gasses around it.

Or when they became zombiefied, their cells mutated and they can now utilize combined oxygen as well. ;)

? I guess it doesn't really matter why zombies can make sounds or move about in water. None of this is possible in real-life anyway, so any explanations would be moot. It only matters that they can; because it makes the game better. How creepy would it be to have zombies that made no sound or just stood on the shoreline while you thumbed your nose at them?

Just my two cents. Take it as you will.

? I guess it doesn't really matter why zombies can make sounds or move about in water. None of this is possible in real-life anyway, so any explanations would be moot. It only matters that they can; because it makes the game better. How creepy would it be to have zombies that made no sound or just stood on the shoreline while you thumbed your nose at them?

Just my two cents. Take it as you will.

Could be magic for all I care as the cause. People just like to ponder reasons is all.

Why not just use movie references and enhancements to the original zombie genre.

Dawn of the dead: Romeroesque style,dumb dead and dangerous in a pack.

"incorporate screamer effect in multiple zombies" "add damage and gore sprite decals on buildings and when zombies damaged"

Return of the Living dead: Brains Brains Brains Brains Brains; Driving force

"return smell mechanic"

Warm Bodies: I can become human again, just let me eat you a bit.

World War Z: some dead some not, all fast, and run in a pack.

"zombie AI attack all creatures, and upgrade intelligence for a time" "go back and use various Ai algorithms, unless you deleted them"

Burying the Ex: really annoying, clingy, emulate human activities, Not so easy to kill.

"Allow some to use rudimentary tools, and weapons, even if badly"

Zombieland: Rule one Cardio; the human re-uprizing.

"already included ingame, humans need some false hope too"

Shadow Warrior: Pithy one liners

"add some verbal audio flavor" "Think trader dialogue, as you are doing battle"

Dod Snow: A controller; with the possibility of a human adapting the raise the dead to battle for them.

"add an asset to allow players to emulate screamer control" "for a really short time of course"

Girl with all the gifts: Controller but smarter than you first think, adaptable, ruthless, patient.

Pride Justice and Zombies: Levels of degradation plus a controller.

"add graves everywhere tombstones to provide stone and primary wood" "raise zombies from the grave"

"think Chiller theatre and have them able to grab you as well as strike stun and knock down"

Patient Zero: A central controller, Zombies Oh, manchild I want to be like you oo. the Duke.

The virus could convert unnecessary organs and fat into some kind of material friendly for anaerobic respiration. The zombies could probably survive a few hours of sustained activity that way. The rest of the time, they can just sleep and get by with slow metabolism. No need to breathe once the conversion is done.

The virus could convert unnecessary organs and fat into some kind of material friendly for anaerobic respiration. The zombies could probably survive a few hours of sustained activity that way. The rest of the time, they can just sleep and get by with slow metabolism. No need to breathe once the conversion is done.

Sounds a lot like how "Zombie Fallout" and "Timothy" (same world as zombie fallout).

This is usually where I'd link a YouTube to a hang glider mod but you frown on that, so I'll just say yes, please add one as it is awesome.

I've been asking for a parasail or hang glider for years now, and pointed out Breath of the Wild's gameplay as an example. Glad to see the idea is resurfacing!

Archived