Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

I'd LOVE to see someone in TFP working on getting our biome diversity and feature list back to what we used to have. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it was a lot more interesting to explore.

I suppose there is some technical limit on the number of terrain ground textures. But other biomes (using the same ground texture) with other sets of decoration objects (trees, grass, bushes, rocks etc) should be possible. Such as the forest texture used in a conifer forest or birch forest. And the desert texture mixed with savanna type grass and vegetation, or palm trees.

Looks a lot better than A18's, great job! Also, with how this is now being mentioned could you let me know where's the coding that restricts decorations on hills? Couldn't seem to find that in the XML files, I'd like to either remove or tweak that feature in my own game.

Faatal

Re: the Vulture Vehicle attack will they be respawned ahead of the vehicle,

or did you increase their flight speed. I ask because presently, they

will rubberband to chase you then give up at the end of their territorial range.

A potential outcome might be a person drives consistently luring them, causing

the other zombies to despawn, And just have a murder of birds rendered to follow

them.

Question: How do I set game to be in first person while in vehicle instead of

third person?

Nice, can't wait for that then.

One last question\thought

Prior you had a mechanic that allowed biome distribution

according to altitude and distance. In the future which

will be the preference Paint or Post?

Also you are presently reworking nearly all assets to

give them a viable use or necessity for game continuity.

If the radiation biome is reincorporated into the RWGMixer.xml,

coupled with a variable Rad level, then using the present

ability to paint biome areas would allow for the instant creation

of dangerzones\Cities\Pois requiring the Hazmatsuit, the biomes.xml

placement of radiated spawn only, and an elevated\variable danger zone.

When will we start seeing some new zombie models? Kinda tired of seeing the same old crew.

Would also be cool to see more special and boss zombies. Maybe even boss zombies that exist in the Radiation zone only?

Would also be cool to have a Steam workshop option. One of the things I really wanna do is craft a custom map and share it and etc. A map editor which would also let you edit biomes and weather and events would be cool.

So you are incapable of ignoring the trader jobs? Are you letting efficiency dictate your role play for you? Tell the trader to F off and go for a walk.

You're saying that in order to enjoy a no loot respawn game, you're now also supposed to ignore traders? That's an interesting line to take.

You're saying that in order to enjoy a no loot respawn game, you're now also supposed to ignore traders? That's an interesting line to take.

Not necessarily; just don't accept quests from POI's that you have already looted. Also, it's probably best to throw the quest reward away as well in that case. And the dukes? Probably them as well.

Maybe you do have a point...

Also in addition to what? I think it is just don’t use traders for quests since the quest will restock that POI. What else are you needing to ignore for a no loot respawn game?

i missed your original request. Were you asking for an option to remove traders from the game or something?

Also in addition to what? I think it is just don’t use traders for quests since the quest will restock that POI. What else are you needing to ignore for a no loot respawn game?

i missed your original request. Were you asking for an option to remove traders from the game or something?

No loot respawn, no air drops, no vending machines (or just a one time use for each), no trader quests, so forth.

It'd make more sense for quests to respawn POIs with no loot in a no loot respawn game.

Madmole,

You think by gold or after you can open up biomes restrictions so we can add as many custom biomes as we like? You got me excited with the whole sub biome talk and improved rwg biome placement for A19.

It'd make more sense for quests to respawn POIs with no loot in a no loot respawn game.

The "refreshing" of a POI in a fully destrucable world is probably the best solution in order to ensure the quest can still be completed. Without the "refreshing" I am sure it becomes programmically more difficult to maintain available quest integrity. If too much loot abundance is the issue, perhaps a good alternative is to implement some type of cooldown before that given quest can be given again (e.g. similar to loot respawn timer)...OR perhaps a setting that allows a quest for a given POI to be only given out 1 time only! (e.g. similar no loot respawn but for quests) :)

Faatal

Re: the Vulture Vehicle attack will they be respawned ahead of the vehicle,

or did you increase their flight speed. I ask because presently, they

will rubberband to chase you then give up at the end of their territorial range.

A potential outcome might be a person drives consistently luring them, causing

the other zombies to despawn, And just have a murder of birds rendered to follow

them.

Question: How do I set game to be in first person while in vehicle instead of

third person?

Everywhere is a blood moon vultures territory. They deal with what you describe.

You can deal with them if you drive around, but it is not easy. The goal is not to completely stop driving on a BM. If we wanted that, the vehicle would just explode when you entered it. :hororr:

There is no first person in vehicles. Possibly someday.

When will we start seeing some new zombie models? Kinda tired of seeing the same old crew.

Would also be cool to see more special and boss zombies. Maybe even boss zombies that exist in the Radiation zone only?

Would also be cool to have a Steam workshop option. One of the things I really wanna do is craft a custom map and share it and etc. A map editor which would also let you edit biomes and weather and events would be cool.

Not for quite some time, we're replacing the old ones first, then looking at adding new radiated bosses with more special behavior.

I'm saying don't let the fact that you can take a trader quest that restores the loot for you .3 miles away stop you from exploring the entire map because of efficiency or min maxing play style. Role play that you could care less what he's offering you are looking for your lost daughter or whatever role play reason and go exploring. "Sorry Rekt, I don't have time for your crap, I don't care what you are paying I have my own problems right now."

The argument that traders keep you from exploring is not true, if your mind is creative. People make stupid choices all the time. Make a few for your character, you might have more fun.

Madmole,

You think by gold or after you can open up biomes restrictions so we can add as many custom biomes as we like? You got me excited with the whole sub biome talk and improved rwg biome placement for A19.

Not likely due to the terrain shader limits. Most games have one biome, biomes aren't exciting, content is. We're not even leveraging our biomes properly yet, I want to move specific resources to them yet.

The "refreshing" of a POI in a fully destrucable world is probably the best solution in order to ensure the quest can still be completed. Without the "refreshing" I am sure it becomes programmically more difficult to maintain available quest integrity. If too much loot abundance is the issue, perhaps a good alternative is to implement some type of cooldown before that given quest can be given again (e.g. similar to loot respawn timer)...OR perhaps a setting that allows a quest for a given POI to be only given out 1 time only! (e.g. similar no loot respawn but for quests) :)

That is just moving papers around on the desk and pretending you accomplished something, just to calm the suspension of disbelief of people who cannot create any plausible solution. To me its perfectly believable.

First off in a large or long MP game the POIs are going to get done a LOT. They have to be reset for quest integrity in case someone sand boxed the POI already. And imagine going through it with zero loot? That would totally suck. It means the first ones on the server would always have the huge advantage, and eventually all loot would be dried up except for traders.

Secondly its easily plausible someone cleared it out, survivors moved in, fixed it up, got infected and turned, so there is loot again. Its not hard to come up with some solution in your mind as to why/how. Don't do that POI again if its a duplicate if you don't want to, its that simple. Some people prefer that versus being forced to travel 10 miles to the next available POI. Nobody liked the ones where you had to travel too far. I don't do the same POI over again, unless I'm really desperate, normally I find a new trader and do quests for him because I want to see a new POI.

Archived