0XP RolMod A18

Roland

I think this would be an interesting approach but until the devs are done adding some things and removing others I would rather wait to try doing it as it seems like a lot of chasing and reworking. But the minimalist approach to true wilderness survival is definitely of interest. I'd like a game version that was truly challenging to survive even without zombies.

You're probably right. If things continue like they are right now (not a bad thing) it would be a lot of work just to keep up. It might be something to work on after Gold. Oh well, just throwing the idea out there. It's something I would like to give a go at, even if it's not something I would want to play regularly.

I changed and tested locally the skillpoint generator to 1, 1, 2, 2, 3 for a slower progression up to gaining 3 skillpoints a day. For testing purposes I set it to 20 seconds so I could watch the progression through all the timers and it worked great. Now I just need to play through five actual days and get a sense of how it feels before I upload it. I have a feeling it is going to be a lot better pacing-wise.

Currently: 5 Days = 5 levels and 12 skillpoints

Future: 5 Days = 5 levels and 9 skillpoints

Not to mention the stiffer penalty of having to wait five days to build back up to 3 points/day if you die.

If I can play it through five full days and feel good about it I will update the public files with both this and the vulnerable traders. You have to really earn the right to use them by clearing out all environmental zombies because if you miss one you'll be dead while in the trader menu...lol

Are the skillpoints earned from quests overwhelming the time based skillpoint generation for anyone who is actually playing the mod?

I've read the post you are refering to and there will always be players like that out there. Seems like their goal for playing is to max out as soon as possible.

I'm on day 29 in my current game and have done about 6 quests in total and all has been treasures. To me it's not worth the time and ammo to do the others. Especially not in this mod with all Z's lurking about everywhere. If I wanted to do POI clearing I would stay in vanilla. And if I just manage to stay alive I'll get 3 points per day with is plenty enough.

I also like the upcoming changes with no protection for the traders and of course the change to skillpoints.

Shin

Changed: New skillpoint generation schedule upon spawn or respawn as follows:

Survive day 1: gain 1 skillpoint

Survive day 2: gain 1 skillpoint

Survive day 3: gain 2 skillpoints

Survive day 4: gain 2 skillpoints

Survive day 5: gain 3 skillpoints

After day 5 you will continue to gain 3 skillpoints a day as long as you don't die. Upon death you must start over on the schedule.

Thanks to Shin for the great idea.

Hey Roland. Me again.

Sooo we have finally been able to test your mod. And its great!

Although it has two minor bugs.

I, as a host still get the deathpenalty, all the other players do not.

A friend of mine doesnt get skillpoints over time. (I will monitor this if it is true, he might just have forgotten he got it)

And lastly I have a request:

I play with a... very absent minded guy. The rest of us play on insane, but he just can't keep up.

So he doesn't get any skillpoints, whatsoever.

Would it be possible to keep the timer ticking somehow and once it reaches 0 to give 1 skillpoint?

You still need to survive a day (with your new progression 2 days) to get more skillpoints. But this way even younger or absent minded players still get skillpoints. (I don't have to explain that without my help, he can't do quest either, do I? :D)

I feel especially since you reduce skillpointgain in your next patch, that this might be a bit fairer for newbies.

Thanks for your consideration.

The problem is that buffs reset upon death. I’m not sure how to make them persist. But even if I did that would run 100% counter to the whole point of my mod.

You want me to be fairer to newbies but you as his friend are forcing him to play on insane if he is going to play with you? I can think of a couple of ways you could change your server settings to make it fairer for your newbie friend.

Here is a link to Royale's modlets. He has created an item that when used starts a quest to harvest two plant fibers for a skillpoint reward. I used one each morning back in the beginning. You could add the modlet and then as admin give your friend the item each day so he could get a skillpoint too.

But I’m not going to change my mod into Super Participation Trophy Zoinks!! :p

As for the bugs. What do you mean by you don’t get the death penalty? You mean the near death buff or do you mean the skill point timers don’t reset back to a single timer?

Have your friend try to nerdpole. Nerdpoling and skillpoint generation are the two SDX components. If he can nerdpole fine then it means that the sdx stuff did not compile. Make sure he used the mod launcher to start his game.

Thank you. Vulnerable traders should be coming soon. It does take some work to clear out all the extra environmental zombies first and you’ll still be plugging up holes in the weak walls the trader uses. It’s really strange. Talking to the trader must have a huge detectable range because any zombies in the area start beelining right to you as soon as you start talking to the trader. I guess there’s no whisper mode...;)

I found a bug. Very minor but still. The message you get when leveling up doesnt show the correct number of skillpoints available. Not important but I thought you wanted to know, if you weren't aware.

And I still love the mod. Feels great to load the game and think "what stuff do I need" instead of "how many points do I need". On day 34 atm and I don't think I've played that long in the last year at least. :encouragement:

Shin

Tier 3 and 4 quests give 2 skillpoints and tier 5 quests give 3 skillpoints.

I've also increased the costs of both the attributes and the perks. It costs 6 points to get the highest tier of any attribute and 5 points to get the top tier of any perk.

<shrug>

Your mileage will vary.

Ok, that sounds not too bad. And on second thought it might be even an advantage to be leveling faster in the later game since it is probably the only way our co-op group could reach levels above 150 before restarting, even with all the new books and items of A18

We will see how it plays out. My group is actually playing the mod, but we are still in the first week.

Remember that player levels are solely used to drive game stages. Loot and zombie challenge is directly affected by game stages and so only indirectly affected by player level. I do need to fine tune the multiplier so I’m interested in views about how quickly gamestages ramps up.

You only get one level increase per day but even though you aren’t level 150 by day 50-80 hopefully your game stage will be comparable to what a 150 level player would see.

Changed:

Trader POI's are no longer protected. Zombies will quickly break through the trader's defenses so you must take measures to clear the area or conduct transactions very quickly. You can place blocks to help beef up the defenses and make repairs and you can destroy blocks so harvesting his crops and breaking into his safes is now possible.

I'm quite certain you will have to start a new game to experience this change.

A friend of mine doesnt get skillpoints over time. (I will monitor this if it is true, he might just have forgotten he got it)

A friend of mine had that too. He had a recent install of Windows10 and needed to activate ".net framework 3.5" manually. Windows10 does not activate older versions of .net anymore and the SDX compiler seems to need the older version.

Changed:

Trader POI's are no longer protected. Zombies will quickly break through the trader's defenses so you must take measures to clear the area or conduct transactions very quickly. You can place blocks to help beef up the defenses and make repairs and you can destroy blocks so harvesting his crops and breaking into his safes is now possible.

I'm quite certain you will have to start a new game to experience this change.

Is the trader himself killable now? In Darkness Falls (A16) the trader was still invulnerable so destroying the trader buildings was only a problem if you still needed a workbench there. We didn't do that and protected the whole trader but it does lessen the fear factor of this "danger szenario".

The trader is still invulnerable. I’ll take a look at that and see what can be done.

The trader itself has godmode enabled so cant be hurt. The wanderingtrader code switches that bit off, and also lets them fight back if attacked. Are you using some code like that?

The trader itself has godmode enabled so cant be hurt. The wanderingtrader code switches that bit off, and also lets them fight back if attacked. Are you using some code like that?

Interesting. I just changed the hitpoints from 100000 to 500 but haven't tested it yet. I suppose it was too good to hope it would've been that easy. I'll look at the wanderingtrader to see if I can see the difference and make it work.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a new trader spawn after several days much like new zombies spawn after awhile....?

EDIT: The code shows a buff with value of God as being commented out but sure enough even though the trader now only has 500 hp, his hp never decreases. So I'm not sure it can be done with xml. Looks like it might be hardcoded in.

Interesting. I just changed the hitpoints from 100000 to 500 but haven't tested it yet. I suppose it was too good to hope it would've been that easy. I'll look at the wanderingtrader to see if I can see the difference and make it work.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a new trader spawn after several days much like new zombies spawn after awhile....?

Traders spawn from a spawning block so maybe if that was combined with the plantgrowing xml? The above mentioned code is C# Sphereii things.

Change: Starter quest redesign

In response to a recent conversation in the A18 dev diary I have redesigned the starter quest so that you can craft all the different items in whatever order you wish. It is super fast to get done now. :)

I also spent all day trying different ways to make it so the trader will take damage but nothing worked.

I tried changing the class, the archetype, the prefab. I tried adding lines of code that other entities use that had to do with damage and health. I even commented out the god buff just in case that was being used—all to no avail. I’m happy to get some help killing the dang trader.

Change: Starter quest redesign

In response to a recent conversation in the A18 dev diary I have redesigned the starter quest so that you can craft all the different items in whatever order you wish. It is super fast to get done now. :)

Ok I've had it! I'm taking my ball and going home! :mad-new:

Did you do the same thing? My solution was to drop the quest chain design and simply list all the items to be crafted in a single quest. I started out trying to keep it as a chain but finally realized there was no reason to keep the chain.

I also spent all day trying different ways to make it so the trader will take damage but nothing worked.

I tried changing the class, the archetype, the prefab. I tried adding lines of code that other entities use that had to do with damage and health. I even commented out the god buff just in case that was being used—all to no avail. I’m happy to get some help killing the dang trader.

I know that the traders in Darkness Falls take damage, and can be killed. Maybe you can ask there.

Did you do the same thing? My solution was to drop the quest chain design and simply list all the items to be crafted in a single quest. I started out trying to keep it as a chain but finally realized there was no reason to keep the chain.

No that was a callback to the events that transpired in the DD. ;) You did well my friend, I like it.

Archived