0XP RolMod A18

Roland

Roland, the mod is a big +1 for me. There's no benefit to killing random zombies if you don't have to, so I find myself just running past anyone I don't have to kill. It seems like a more logical reaction; there's no need to risk danger for no benefit. I think the risk of death is appropriately tuned. In previous games, I would put all my important stuff in a chest and go out at night to chop trees or kill random zombies for extra xp, but now I'm too scared to leave my base when death matters so much. Trollands may be a bit excessive on the zombie count, but it certainly keeps me on my toes while gathering resources, and shoutout to the 20+ count wandering horde that showed up at 9:30PM on day 7. No complaints so far.

Glad you are enjoying it. It really is a strange realization when you start playing 0XP after playing vanilla to realize that there is no reason to seek out zombies to kill and once you're generating 3 skillpoints per day you are scared to death of losing that which pushes you to want to avoid risky fights even more.

I will probably decrease daytime zombie counts slightly but I like the night time counts. It really does seem more realistic for more of them to mostly come out at night. mostly.....

Glad you are enjoying it. It really is a strange realization when you start playing 0XP after playing vanilla to realize that there is no reason to seek out zombies to kill and once you're generating 3 skillpoints per day you are scared to death of losing that which pushes you to want to avoid risky fights even more.

I will probably decrease daytime zombie counts slightly but I like the night time counts. It really does seem more realistic for more of them to mostly come out at night. mostly.....

Yeah the daytime zombies are a bit much. I don't have a problem with the ones out in the world, but when I'm clearing a poi there are often 10+ zombies that come in from outside. 1-3 is probably reasonable but 10 is just a pain.

One other slight issue is that now that health and stamina are tied to your level, leveling once a day leaves you with much less health and stamina than on vanilla right now. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it is an unintended balance difference.

Still loving the paradigm shift to do things because they make you better at surviving rather than xp. Imo it's the best progression I've ever played with. I think LBD was slightly better than what vanilla has now, but 0XP is near perfect.

Yeah the daytime zombies are a bit much. I don't have a problem with the ones out in the world, but when I'm clearing a poi there are often 10+ zombies that come in from outside. 1-3 is probably reasonable but 10 is just a pain.

This is not something I experience. Sure, ♥♥♥♥load of Z's outside but not nearly enough to cause problems clearing POI's. Do not lower the count please.

One other slight issue is that now that health and stamina are tied to your level, leveling once a day leaves you with much less health and stamina than on vanilla right now. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it is an unintended balance difference.

Didnt play vanilla to much but I think a lvl a day was pretty average, So not a significant difference.

Still loving the paradigm shift to do things because they make you better at surviving rather than xp. Imo it's the best progression I've ever played with. I think LBD was slightly better than what vanilla has now, but 0XP is near perfect.

Couldnt agree more! Always baffled that this mod is created by someone who always defends vanilla...

In any case, It IS a great mod Roland. And thank you for making it

Here is the link. You will have to compile the SDX parts or they may not work. If you talk to Sphereii I'm sure he will get the Linux version of his Modlauncher up to date. The current modlauncher has much fewer mods but that isn't because of the mod launcher it is because a lot of the bigger mods haven't made the leap to A18 yet and in their defense A18 is still changing so it is scary putting work into it until the devs say "That's it for A18".

This is not something I experience. Sure, ♥♥♥♥load of Z's outside but not nearly enough to cause problems clearing POI's. Do not lower the count please.

Well, I'm going to adjust it to my own personal taste but I'll leave the current values in the comments if I do change anything so it will be super easy for you to change it back. I'll tell you exactly which file to open in your mods folder. It is super easy to change so by the same token if I put some good time into it this winter break (Finals week is right now) and decide I like it like Shin likes it then I'll put some suggested values in the comments if someone else wants just a smidgeon less during the day.

Didnt play vanilla to much but I think a lvl a day was pretty average, So not a significant difference.

The difference here is that there is no way to get it faster than a level per day and that is something that is entirely possible in vanilla through focusing on efficiency and gaming the xp rewards. I think if you aren't necessarily trying to level fast in vanilla then it is about a level per day or a bit faster. Before the change that ties health and stamina to level there was no reason at all to care if you only went up a level per day. But now it could be that someone might want to get to health 200 and stamina 200 before day 100. I'll have to think about this some more...

Couldnt agree more! Always baffled that this mod is created by someone who always defends vanilla...

It's because I don't view my mod (or any mod) as a fix for something that is broken unless the devs literally post that something is currently broken and they haven't gotten around to fixing it but a mod fixes it. That is when a mod is a fix. But while 0XP might fix the fun factor for you that doesn't mean vanilla is broken by any means. It is just an alternative way to play. I defend vanilla as the developer's vision and I defend 0XP as my own vision. They aren't mutually exclusive.

To be clear, none of this was a request for change. This is Roland's personal mod that he graciously shared with everybody, not a new video game. All I'm giving are my observations.

My experience in vanilla is slightly faster than one level a day. Maybe 10 levels every 7 days or so. Apparently there are people on this forum who can do several levels a day by min-maxing exp. Like I said, +1 stam and health a day isn't horrible or anything, but I doubt it was an intended balance change, so I wanted Roland to be aware since no one has brought it up since the A18 update.

• 2 weeks later...

Im trying to get a Nitrogen map with compopack42 in to this mod... No luck at all tbh, really hard ro find the folders to put everything in.

Using the launcher to start wich moves everything, then installing Nitro who wants its files in one place and the Compo who gives another direction. Probably me but is sure isnt intuitive.

Great work on all mods mentioned though. Just hard for a lot of us to combine what we want.

• 1 month later...

Hello hello! I was interessted in this mod and downloaded it according to the instructions on the first page.

I have 2 questions: What is the xp-bleeding debuff, and why am i still seeing the xp popouts? (Yes, i have double-checked that the xp-multiplier was at 0% in the main menu, and yes, i started a new map)

Edit: Oh, i noticed im still leveling as normal... so something is wrong somewhere... i used a fresh install from that mod-launcher you recommended, how do i troubleshoot this problem?

Hello hello! I was interessted in this mod and downloaded it according to the instructions on the first page.

I have 2 questions: What is the xp-bleeding debuff, and why am i still seeing the xp popouts? (Yes, i have double-checked that the xp-multiplier was at 0% in the main menu, and yes, i started a new map)

Edit: Oh, i noticed im still leveling as normal... so something is wrong somewhere... i used a fresh install from that mod-launcher you recommended, how do i troubleshoot this problem?

I had this same problem when starting my first game with this mod. As far as I can remember I had to start with a clean download in dedicated folder. I'm not to technical so I'm not the right person to explain. I'm surprised the author of the mod hasn't replied yet. But then again I think this mod is abandoned and not supported anymore.

I had this same problem when starting my first game with this mod. As far as I can remember I had to start with a clean download in dedicated folder. I'm not to technical so I'm not the right person to explain. I'm surprised the author of the mod hasn't replied yet. But then again I think this mod is abandoned and not supported anymore.

Ironic that I never stated that I abandoned it and you think it is abandoned and yet you state over and over again that you are leaving the forums because you don't play the game anymore and here you still are....

This mod pretty much does everything I want it to do. It needs polishing but that will have to wait until the game itself is done. I'm not masochistic enough to re-polish it with every major update. If your definition of "abandoned" is "Roland isn't constantly adding new content to the mod to keep me entertained" then I guess it is abandoned....

Using the mod launcher and making sure that it is a brand new game and starting with 0xp selected from the beginning should fix it. The xp-bleeding debuff is the timer that counts down until your next skillpoint award. I changed the name once in localization but it got messed up in the A18 update so I'm leaving it alone until the game goes gold and I don't have to keep fixing that part. It's fugly but it gets the job done.

Abandoneware! Just like the game!

/leaves now, but is curious what kind of localization issue you had... ;-)

My localization edits didn't work any longer after A18 and I didn't feel like redoing them and don't want to risk having to do them again. That's all.

The only thing I would like to add is a reward for killing x number of zombies during hordenight since my mod has zero incentives to play horde night since there is no xp. But they haven't hooked up the necessary coding to be able to do something like that yet so I'm just waiting.

Ironic that I never stated that I abandoned it and you think it is abandoned and yet you state over and over again that you are leaving the forums because you don't play the game anymore and here you still are....

This mod pretty much does everything I want it to do. It needs polishing but that will have to wait until the game itself is done. I'm not masochistic enough to re-polish it with every major update. If your definition of "abandoned" is "Roland isn't constantly adding new content to the mod to keep me entertained" then I guess it is abandoned....

It may have taken a while but this was the TRUE "welcome to the modding community" post we have been waiting for from Roland.

All he needs now for his final step of initiation is for someone to list out, in excruciating bullet point detail, how much of a better job they could do than him at his own mod. Then we can share the tapioca pudding with him :D

My localization edits didn't work any longer after A18 and I didn't feel like redoing them and don't want to risk having to do them again. That's all.

The only thing I would like to add is a reward for killing x number of zombies during hordenight since my mod has zero incentives to play horde night since there is no xp. But they haven't hooked up the necessary coding to be able to do something like that yet so I'm just waiting.

...you could add XP using onSelfDamagedOther for the hits at least, which could ultimately balance out since a zombieBoe would require less hits, so would yield less XP, than a zombieWight...

Just make sure it's setup right to not count player hits else 2 players will just punch each other for a while. =)

...you could add XP using onSelfDamagedOther for the hits at least, which could ultimately balance out since a zombieBoe would require less hits, so would yield less XP, than a zombieWight...

Just make sure it's setup right to not count player hits else 2 players will just punch each other for a while. =)

Problem with that is XP doesn't help as a reward. It is worthless in my mod. Only rewards that matter are skillpoints. Plus, how do I limit rewards to ONLY during the bloodmoon?

Well, calculate say x number of the hit cvar, so maybe 1000 hits equals a skillpoint. The onSelfDamagedOther only applies to zombies you specify.

You'll need to make a bm list (copy paste the entities to have bm versions and update the gamestages to use those bm versions instead).

A few additional moving pieces, but completely doable.

How interested are you in this aspect?

Well, calculate say x number of the hit cvar, so maybe 1000 hits equals a skillpoint. The onSelfDamagedOther only applies to zombies you specify.

You'll need to make a bm list (copy paste the entities to have bm versions and update the gamestages to use those bm versions instead).

A few additional moving pieces, but completely doable.

How interestedare you in this aspect?

Interested but....it will have to remain abandoned until Spring Break at the least.

.it will have to remain abandoned

And still you bite my ass of for saying it might be...... Good job and good bye. That is to you and not to the forum as you wrongly states I have said.. Still love your mod though if you ever get around to touch up the last pieces.

Archived