0XP RolMod A18

Roland

I’ve noticed that if I am playing on a previous save the game “remembers” the xp settings from before. Try starting a brand new game with the xp already set to 0% and see if that one also gives xp.

When I select New game it's alreay selected 0XP as default. So all the games I started has been on O XP. But I have nothing better to do so I'll try again :smile-new:

Tried a few things with no luck, was still bugged. In the end I wiped any trace of 7d2d from my PC. All vanilla, mods and saves. Then downloaded... and it worked. So something was messing this up and I havent got a clue what it was.

Then I tried 3 different newly generated RWG maps.... remembered why I quit in the first place (not only due to maps) and gave up. Sry, your mod might be great but vanilla keeps my away.

Glad you got it sorted and sorry the game doesn't hold the magic for you any longer.

A17.3 just dropped and it does have improved RWG and my mod is fully compatible with it as far as I have seen. (I cheated and tested it last night for a couple of hours ;) )

A17.3 just dropped and it does have improved RWG and my mod is fully compatible with it as far as I have seen. (I cheated and tested it last night for a couple of hours ;) )

Cheeky ! Think I woulda done the same rofl

From now on any update stage I expect your mod to be 100% compatible and fully working before we even see the update. we will be watching ;)

select 0% for your xp modifier in the main options menu not working in 17.3 ?

It is for me but you might have to clean your files as some residue xp code seems to mess with the option. Shin reported he couldn't get the 0xp to work until he cleaned his save games. I had one instance where it didn't work for one of my saves but starting a new game fixed it.

Hey! I did something clever...

ADDED: Trader Finder Quests Modlet

All of the treasure quests have appended to them the white river settlement quest extension so that after you dig up the chest and open the treasure it starts the same start of game trader quest which looks for the closest trader. I tested this and if you get far enough away from the trader you already know the quest will direct you to a new trader you didn't know about. However, there is always a chance it could take you back to the trader you already know....

Even though I'm proud of this addition to the treasure chests for the chance of finding new traders, I don't know how to possibly make it so the game ignores traders you've already found so that you are guaranteed a quest to a new trader. If anyone thinks they know the answer to this and wants to lend a hand for equal glory please let me know.

In the meantime hopefully this will make those treasure maps a bit more exciting as they will now lead you to a treasure AND quite possibly a new trader if you are close enough to one. If you already are using my mod the easiest is to just go to my github and copy and past the Trader Finder Quests folder to your mods folder. This modlet is purely xml edits via xpath.

Hey Roland,

If you've dipped your toe into the SDX world you may find the "ItemActionRevealMap" class interesting in my Map Reveal mod: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?68184-Map-Reveal-Item

In there it shows you how to get all the trader locations. I add a map marker to the player map once they've located it so you can check to see if it's already been discovered.

Happy to walk you through it if that's a route you want to take.

Cheers,

Hal

I was thinking about learning more about SDX this summer once school is out. Are you saying that there is a part of your mod that might be able to be used to check for already found traders and ignore them when activating the trader quest? Or are you saying that instead of doing the trader quest it could just reveal part of the map and mark anybtraders that might be in the revealed portion?

Both really, it depends on what you want for your mod. As long as the player keeps the map marker you can tell if you've revealed that trader to them and select another.

I did a video a while back, the offshoot at the bottom left of the map is it making a beeline for the trader (it's before I added the map marker though so there should be a "Trader" waypoint that isn't in the video)

It's already an sdx mod so might as well use more sdx mods. :)

I know, but I don't know how to do SDX so that makes me reliant upon the schedule and kindness of others. Also, the non-SDX modlets can be taken separately and used by those who don't want to run SDX mods. The trader quest modlet I just did is super simple and non-impactful and will probably work fine with most any other modlet.

In fact, the more I think about it maybe it is better the way it is where if you end up closer to the trader you know it just points back to him. That at least lets you logically eliminate a whole circular area that you know NOT to explore if trying to find another trader. Making it so the game automatically ignores already found traders might be a bit OP and gamey. Whose to say that the trader the person who buried the treasure knew about wasn't the same one you knew.

Here are my 2 dukes roland -

I would note that I think you missed one stun animation Roland. There is one where the zeds do not ragdoll but fall on their back. It does not happen during death but still happens when they are stunned.

Also, I don't think it is something that can addressed but stunned zeds still take up worldspace - IOW you cannot walk over them - while dead ones do not and this is a pretty dead giveaway that they are going to get back up. More importantly, they tend to complicate pathing for other zeds - they tend to knock them off ledges and things like that. I may redesign my base to mitigate that as it makes hordes more likely to loop with my current design and that is the one really glaring hole in the AI ATM.

I have to say that I was prepared to dislike removing the animations. I just did not see a reason to hide that information from the player. This feature really has grown on me a LOT though. I like the fact that I have to actually check if a zed is eliminated before turning my back - adds a very real and very immersive threat. It really is not so bad with a melee character but is hell for my archery.

Progression seems far slower to me. I like it better thus far - I have enough points to get set up without any problem and the higher prices with higher perks allows you to branch out a LOT more in the basic stuff but forces you to make some decisions when looking at the higher tiers. Trying this out with 17.3, the higher wild zed count really synergises with this a lot. I find myself weighing killing zeds to ensure they do not build up or letting them go to save time that is better spent elsewhere.

I play warrior and think that the GS should move a little faster. It seems to take a bit longer to start getting the tougher zeds out there and considering avoidance is much more ingrained into your MOD I think it would be more immersive and fun to have feral zeds out earlier IMHO though this is, of course, very subjective.

I think you have finally found a death penalty that is stiff enough for me to finally ditch DID - I hope...

Thanks for creating this - this has improved the game a LOT for me and I was really happy with it before.

My altar has sphereii’s picture.

For those of us that follow the 0 xp path of Rolland, it is not for us to question but to experience. Who am I, the lowly user, to judge what visage the holiest of holies has blessed the followers of his vision with? :D

ps. ignore all those 'judgments' above for the purposes of ths statment lol.

Thanks for the feedback. I think if It’s possible I’d like to make dead zombies have collision like stunned zombies do rather than the other way around. There have been times when I was saved because 2-3 stunned zombies plugged up a doorway and gave me time to escape. It felt pretty awesome.

I can increase the gamestage multiplier upward—especially for Warrior and above. I was worried about making it ramp up too quickly given all the complaints from 17.1. What day was it when you noticed the Ferals start to appear?

Did you do a lot of quests or not so much?

I know what you mean about death. It’s devastating to go from getting 3 skillpoints a day down to 1 again. And then when you are just a few in game hours from getting back up to three, it is nerve wracking to get into a situation where you might die.

One of the stated weaknesses of this set up is the incentive to sit at home and just let the game generate free skillpoints. Have you felt any temptation to avoid going out and playing?

Thanks for the feedback. I think if It’s possible I’d like to make dead zombies have collision like stunned zombies do rather than the other way around. There have been times when I was saved because 2-3 stunned zombies plugged up a doorway and gave me time to escape. It felt pretty awesome.

I can increase the gamestage multiplier upward—especially for Warrior and above. I was worried about making it ramp up too quickly given all the complaints from 17.1. What day was it when you noticed the Ferals start to appear?

Not sure what day. I don't think I seen a single one in the standard areas in the first week though. Wasteland is a different story - day one gave me a few ferals and several zed bears. Might be a fluke but I avoid wasteland for the first few weeks now if I can lol.

Did you do a lot of quests or not so much?

2 per day from day 2, 3 and possibly 4. Then about one per day after. Not sure how I feel about traders giving points. I don't really like the fact that quests are pretty central to early game play because you are so inefficient at everything else that there is little incentive for other tasks. When you have to swing your ax twice to get a single stone, there is no point in mining. Quests give you a lot of points though if you start busting them out like that though and that somewhat moves the xp farm. Considering they give dukes and items, the rewards are very high as well.

I know what you mean about death. It’s devastating to go from getting 3 skillpoints a day down to 1 again. And then when you are just a few in game hours from getting back up to three, it is nerve wracking to get into a situation where you might die.

Devastating - yes. And that is what is needed in SP IMHO because for survival to mean something death must be very bad. I thought that removing skill points would be the only real way to go but was fairly sure that such would be impossible. Then you found out how to do so by removing future points rather than existing ones and still be in a logical framework. The fact that death actually helps GS in vanilla is something that still annoys me to no end - in many ways death is POSITIVE in vanilla.

One of the stated weaknesses of this set up is the incentive to sit at home and just let the game generate free skillpoints. Have you felt any temptation to avoid going out and playing?

None whatsoever. I know MM mentioned something like this once but I think it is a really surface complaint without depth. For one, you cant just sit in your base and acquire points until well after the point where that would even make sense.

IOW, in the beginning, if you were to sit there to passively generate points your are going to starve and/or die of thirst. Those points are doing nothing for you. The fact that the game stage marches on no matter how dumb you are helps this and another reason I really like your mod - difficulty should have nothing to do with the player IMHO. This also increases the DP too - those points you are losing are, in a way, permanent losses. After hunger ant thirst become a non issue then you need to be building a base and gathering resources. If you don't then those points are going to do nothing for you when the zeds tear apart your wooden palisade. Late game, sure you can certainly do this. Late game you are looking for that silencer or other hole in your equipment and getting resources to replenish your bullets. What are you going to do with those points when you don't have the stuff to back it up.

Once you are fully kitted out and have no more need of anything, sure you can sit there for the points but again, why? If, at that point, this is really what you want to do you are already godlike so who cares.

Finally, the increased zeds made me cower in my home for the first 5 min of the first night. That was boring so out I went. I do not think it incentives you to sit at home at all - no one plays a game to do nothing. It does HEAVILY incentivise the manner that you go out though - you are going to do it in a safer manner.

Not sure what day. I don't think I seen a single one in the standard areas in the first week though. Wasteland is a different story - day one gave me a few ferals and several zed bears. Might be a fluke but I avoid wasteland for the first few weeks now if I can lol.

Let me ask this then. In your opinion when should ferals start making an appearance? I was thinking 2nd or 3rd week of the game but are you feeling like they should be appearing during the first week?

2 per day from day 2, 3 and possibly 4. Then about one per day after. Not sure how I feel about traders giving points. I don't really like the fact that quests are pretty central to early game play because you are so inefficient at everything else that there is little incentive for other tasks. When you have to swing your ax twice to get a single stone, there is no point in mining. Quests give you a lot of points though if you start busting them out like that though and that somewhat moves the xp farm. Considering they give dukes and items, the rewards are very high as well.

So quests...... It's a tough choice. Here is why I decided to have quests award skillpoints:

1) I read a lot of feedback that quests were generally not worth the rewards especially the higher tier quests. I kind of felt the same way and I knew that there was little in the game as valuable as skillpoints. Making a skillpoint be part of the reward would definitely make them worth doing.

2) Quests involve doing activities that are "playing the game". You are exploring the world, clearing and looting a poi, and going head to head against zombies while trying not to die. So creating a situation where people would farm quests seemed acceptable because of the travel time, the risk, and the variety of activities involved. At least it wasn't the same as doing one action repetitively for hours.

3) There is a thematic connection between doing a job for the trader who is obviously an experienced survivalist and gaining some training from him in some area of your choice. So the skillpoint increasing cooking wasn't because you went out and killed a bunch of zombies and retrieved a package. The skillpoint increasing cooking was representative of you asking the trader, "So...what's the best way to cook up bacon and egss without ruining it?" And because you did him the favor he decides to help you out in area you desired some help.

4) Finally, I wanted there to be a way for players to gain points more quickly than once per day if they so desired. Go clear some zombies, then dig up a stash, and then retrieve a package will net you 3 extra points but they weren't free and you have to do all that traveling.

The bad?

1) Quests right now are pretty meh... But that is just right now. As new quests are created and hopefully fan-made quests are also created this will get a lot better.

2) Trader becomes even more critical to the game which some people really hate. But I don't. The more I play the more I like the trader but I want his landclaim removed. I want zombies busting in while I'm trading with him and I have to kill them and help him make repairs. I want to live in his base and not get kicked out. For multiplayer with people you don't know of course you want an invulnerable trader. But for single player and playing with friends/family...nobody is going to try and kill the trader but everyone would want to protect him if necessary.

So I think removing the landclaim and the teleport away after 10pm is what I'd like to add next. But...at any rate I know that for those who don't like the trader this mod works against them because you can't ignore the bonus skillpoints for doing jobs very easily.

3) Players could possibly easily outpace the gamestage difficulty curve by farming quests and earning skillpoints to the point that they become invulnerable long before gamestages makes things harder. I can adjust the economy of the attributes and perks to be more expensive but then that just makes the trader and quests become that much more important in the eyes of players.

Finally, the increased zeds made me cower in my home for the first 5 min of the first night. That was boring so out I went. I do not think it incentives you to sit at home at all - no one plays a game to do nothing. It does HEAVILY incentivise the manner that you go out though - you are going to do it in a safer manner.

This was my experience as well. Plus it is really funny. I truly believe that I am up to the task for pretty much anything so I don't wait to do a quest until I get my skillpoints because I honestly don't believe that I'm going to die. I feel very optimistic and I want the skillpoint from the quest along with the ones that will be coming at the end of the day. So then I end up dying because I got greedy and over encumbered myself, or I forgot to craft bandages and a lucky hit makes me start bleeding, or, or, or.... When you were planning to get four skillpoints and you lose all four and now have to wait a whole hour to get one...Well, I was very angry AT MYSELF for not having the bandages on hand.

On my first try with 0xp mod (a bit earlier in its version) i had a pretty cool night. Decided to try it out on Nav and went to my regular side of a small town in the forest. Started building up a small base on poles, but couldn't finish due to Zs all around and night coming (no visibility). So i took a spot (in the open i might add!) in the darkness and waited, as that was everything i could do at the moment. Didn't think of running away.

The numbers increased around me, but they could barely see me. Time passed slowly when i heard the familiar sound. A screamer... It had to go, especially as i heard it close by. Big mistake though, it called upon another screamer. Killed it too, but a third came in. Clubbing the regulars i finally managed to get to the last screamer and kill it, partly in complete darkness, partly when the moon came up and i could at least see the silhouettes in front of me.

The bow didn't prove to be much useful, especially as i didn't have much wood, rocks and feathers. I've used the last of my arrows as the morning came and got rid of the 15 or something zombies that remained shambling around my improvised base. More came, but i did survive...

Too many zombies? Maybe, but it was hell of a fun ride!

Archived