0XP RolMod A18

Roland

UPDATE

I changed the file structure on Github so that the Scripts folder is located in the Skillpoint Generator folder. Tested the change and I still receive 1 skillpoint at the end of the timer. Hopefully that makes it work better for others who want to try this out.

BIG CHANGE

Also, I figured out how to make it so that you gain one skillpoint for the first day of survival and then it progresses to earning 2 skillpoints on the second day of survival and 2 skillpoints per day thereafter as long as you don't die. If you die then it will go back to 1 skillpoint for the first day and then 2 skillpoints for the second and successive days again. Changes are committed.

I may even consider going to earning 3 skillpoints per day for surviving 3 days or more days in a row but if I do that I probably need to change the skillpoint costs on the attributes and perks. But I think being able to progress up to 3 skillpoints a day for not dying sounds pretty cool and the death penalty would of course be starting back at only earning 1 skillpoint.

I COULD even make it so you earn 0 skillpoints the first day, and then 1, and then 2, and then 3 by the fourth day of spawning in. Thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

Can you wipe skillpoints on death? If so, crank the curve up. If not, keep it low.

hmmm...I'm not sure. i assume you mean skillpoints they were saving and hadn't spent yet. Even if I could, all it would do would make people spend them immediatly and not save them up.

Maybe I can look at the near death buff and see how it does what it does temporarily and see if I can make it happen permanently. Then I could crank up the skillpoint gain curve so that we have to repurchase those lost attribute levels.

UPDATE

I changed the file structure on Github so that the Scripts folder is located in the Skillpoint Generator folder. Tested the change and I still receive 1 skillpoint at the end of the timer. Hopefully that makes it work better for others who want to try this out.

BIG CHANGE

Also, I figured out how to make it so that you gain one skillpoint for the first day of survival and then it progresses to earning 2 skillpoints on the second day of survival and 2 skillpoints per day thereafter as long as you don't die. If you die then it will go back to 1 skillpoint for the first day and then 2 skillpoints for the second and successive days again. Changes are committed.

I may even consider going to earning 3 skillpoints per day for surviving 3 days or more days in a row but if I do that I probably need to change the skillpoint costs on the attributes and perks. But I think being able to progress up to 3 skillpoints a day for not dying sounds pretty cool and the death penalty would of course be starting back at only earning 1 skillpoint.

I COULD even make it so you earn 0 skillpoints the first day, and then 1, and then 2, and then 3 by the fourth day of spawning in. Thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

I like this idea better - you have to remove training from traders though IMHO if you go that high.

I have not had a chance to start your MOD yet though so take my statments with a grain of salt - I am planning on starting your MOD after 17.3 comes out (hopefully with a real RWG in place).

I like this idea better - you have to remove training from traders though IMHO if you go that high.

I have not had a chance to start your MOD yet though so take my statments with a grain of salt - I am planning on starting your MOD after 17.3 comes out (hopefully with a real RWG in place).

Well, I'm still running this mod on placeholders atm and doing quests is currently the only way to increase player level. Once I eventually get to where the mod is well and truly 0xp and I can increase the player's level independently of xp I can take a closer look. I'm still kind of partial to keeping quests as an additional way to increase skillpoints in addition to surviving and it may simply be best to increase the skillpoint costs for attributes and perks to compensate.

Well, I'm still running this mod on placeholders atm and doing quests is currently the only way to increase player level. Once I eventually get to where the mod is well and truly 0xp and I can increase the player's level independently of xp I can take a closer look. I'm still kind of partial to keeping quests as an additional way to increase skillpoints in addition to surviving and it may simply be best to increase the skillpoint costs for attributes and perks to compensate.

Is the skill point a day for surviving not raising levels then?

Is the skill point a day for surviving not raising levels then?

Nope. The daily skillpoints are just that. The quest rewards are the exact amount of xp needed to raise the player a level and then you get the usual skillpoint from that.

Eventually, I would like to be able to change the game via SDX so that instead of gaining a skillpoint point because you leveled up you level up because you gained a skillpoint. Then I can go truly 0xp and levels will be gained (and thus drive gamestage) whenever the player gains skillpoints. But since I don't know SDX I have to wait upon the busy schedules of those who do know SDX.

But for testing the current setup works well enough.

Captain’s Log Stardate 4182019:

In response to the Guppycurian Ambassador’s suggestion that there may be a way for human beings within Navezgane to lose stat points through death thereby opening up the possibility for larger skillpoint rewards I decide to lead an away mission to explore the XML Nebula.

Setting phasers to stun I commented out the entire NearDeath suite of buffs leaving only the first one with the passive effect of reducing the attribute levels by 1 permanently. It worked perfectly. I then beamed up 36 skillpoints using the giveselfxp command on my communicator and spent them to see if I could buy back the lost levels.

I could not. According to the readings on my tricorder, the red check marks were permanent and in fact acted as a block making it impossible to ever reach rank 10 in any attribute. I even tried increasing the attribute ranks to 11 but even though rank 11 showed up in the window of my interface I could not purchase it.

This was becoming a larger job than I thought where days were like hours and I had neither at my disposal. Plus I couldn’t figure out how to lose more than one rank as further deaths did not continue to reduce the attributes.

So...I’m taking the easy way out and like a lazy dev I’m just going to gonthe dumbed down route of increasing the skillpoint fees for unlocking junk and then changing the progression to make it so that you can be earning 3 skillpoints a day once you’ve survived long enough.

Losing that and having to build back up to it again over time should make for a tidy death penalty.

Special note: I did not manage to get my shirt ripped off of me nor make love to an alien so I count the whole thing as a wasted mission and fully blame that ambassador...

Captain out.

You're fracking weird...

...also, /something/ allows for the return of points; use that line.

I’m on vacation...

The return of points comes when the timer runs out on the near death buff. There is also a system that checks and lessens the effects of Near Death during the 30 minute time.

Changelog

Changed: Daily skillpoint gains. You now progress from earning 1 skillpoint after surviving for a day to earning 2 skillpoints after surviving for 2 days to earning 3 skillpoints for surviving for 3 days and each day thereafter. If you die you will lose that progression and start over at 1 skillpoint if you can survive an entire day from the moment you respawn after death. Then you will have to work your way back up to 3 skillpoints over the next couple days.

Changed: Costs for purchasing attributes and perks have increased. The preview tool tip shows the wrong price (I couldn't find where to change that anywhere) but the shopping cart tool tip shows the correct price once the next tier becomes available to be purchased. The cost progression is as follows:

Attribute costs for levels 2-10 are: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10

Perk costs for levels 1-5 are: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5

Pretty pricey under the vanilla ruleset but if you are doing well at surviving and earning 3 skillpoints per day (plus quests) you should have no problem with these prices. Also remember that because skillpoints are independent of levels there is no cap... ;)

Also on vacation right now, and finally got a chance to try it out. The 'survival-first' aspect to earn skill-points is more in line with the 'dead-is-dead' I like to play when playing solo, so I'm enjoying it and I think this would be a lot more approachable for those not willing to wipe an entire game for one stupid mistake.

Only starting day 4, so no long-term thoughts yet. I was going to say it seems I'm slightly higher perk-wise due to quests, but I found an interesting glitch related to the timers. I noticed that my skill points were arriving earlier each night, the timers didn't seem to be running correctly for me? I timed it, and the timer was running 60 minutes, but the game wasn't doing 60 minute days for some weird reason, even though it was selected. Ran out of time before I could test that further.

I noticed it as well and should have realized it would happen because I played around a lot with different day lengths awhile back and noticed right away that none of them are exactly what they are advertised to be. Not sure what is more important—that the timers be 60 seconds or that the bonus comes the same time each day. I’ll play around with it and see if I can find the right balance.

On the other hand, if people want to play different lengths of days it isn’t going to happen at the same time each day anyway....

Are you playing the most recent version with higher costs for attributes and perks but also building up to gaining 3 skillpoints a day?

Thanks for the feedback and for trying it out.

I noticed it as well and should have realized it would happen because I played around a lot with different day lengths awhile back and noticed right away that none of them are exactly what they are advertised to be. Not sure what is more important—that the timers be 60 seconds or that the bonus comes the same time each day. I’ll play around with it and see if I can find the right balance.

On the other hand, if people want to play different lengths of days it isn’t going to happen at the same time each day anyway....

Are you playing the most recent version with higher costs for attributes and perks but also building up to gaining 3 skillpoints a day?

Thanks for the feedback and for trying it out.

I'd played the first day, then saw the update, so it was with the increased skillpoints. I was admittedly paying more attention to the timing issue the third and fourth days, but with doing quests, it seemed slightly high with the number of skillpoints. But, I hadn't really started buying the more expensive attributes/perks, so need more time to judge that.

And I think it should be tied to the same time each day, but that's just my opinion.

Okay, I have it fixed now to match up with the actual length of the "60 minute" daylength. There may be a drift of a second or two but hopefully not noticeable. If so I can easily adjust it a second more or less.

If you don't want to re-download the mod all you need to do is go into the skillpoint generator modlet and edit the buffs xpath to change the 3600 value to 4077 (for all three timers).

Archived