0XP RolMod A18

Roland

You can't per say do a quest where you "place/upgrade xyz block at zyx location", but you can use block placement/upgrade as a quest goal (wood frame quest).

I should be able to do that using the "Stay in Area" objective. The way I ordered my campfire quest you first craft a campfire and obtain a cooking pot and grill (which I found both in a nearby apartment building). Once those three objectives are done you are directed to return to the trader and as soon as you get close to him it triggers the objective to place the campfire and the "Remain in area" objective at the same time. Then, once that is done it triggers the "Turn In" objective to return to the trader and get your reward.

It all works great except that the "stay in area" isn't centered on the trader POI like I want it to be nor does it end. In the original code it mentions the chosen quest POI as its target but I don't know how to target the current trader POI. It would be nice if I could just target the NPC trader as the center of the area radius.

I think it could be possible. But it also could be that there is no supporting code for it even though it appears that there almost is.

So you can either create a quest that upgrades blocks only found in trader outposts (those goofy log spikes?), OR, if you REALLY want to be a boss (and learn new things):

Copy a few choice blocks that are used as trader walls, like woodblocks, whatever, to trader-woodblocks or something.

Edit the trader prefabs to use trader-woodblocks in lieu of woodblocks

Set the quest to upgrade trader-woodblocks.

...since trader-woodblocks wouldn't be craftable, you'd only be able to fulfill the quest by upgrading the blocks you specify as existing in the trader prefab.

You can get fancier too, but this is already a daunting task.

That is a really good idea. I will look into seeing if I can get the trader wall blocks to be able to be upgraded.

Like I said, these quests can be created and completed on the honor system and I will do that rather than do nothing but it would be cool if we can find a way to make it as tightly controlled as possible.

You do know that the consequence will be that everyone will use the trader as craft base? That is exactly what my group did in darkness falls, and that even without the quests.

It would be best if the trader reseted at the start like any other quest POI. But then there would be an easy method to repair any damage to the trader

So, back to the honor system.

Hmmm.....weird. I never committed any attempted changes to trader vulnerability for the trader himself. It was all experimented on locally and nothing worked anyway. I did look at what Khaine did with his “Wandering Trader” version of the trader but it was sdx based so I left it alone.

The only changes I made were deleting three lines that reference trader POI protection and changing the property “Trader Area” to false.

Maybe I’ll try leaving one or more of those lines of code in place to see if it fixes the double trader.

Mine is a modified version of Sphereii's wandering trader code to remove the god buff from the trader.

Double traders happen because the spawn block respawns a trader if they move from it, to fix the disappearing trader issue from A16, and then trader protection deletes any duplicate entities... according to Prime. :)

You do know that the consequence will be that everyone will use the trader as craft base? That is exactly what my group did in darkness falls, and that even without the quests.

It would be best if the trader reseted at the start like any other quest POI. But then there would be an easy method to repair any damage to the trader

So, back to the honor system.

Is that so bad? Having the trader POI be the center of trade and industry makes sense. Did you see it as exploitive or detrimental having played it?

Mine is a modified version of Sphereii's wandering trader code to remove the god buff from the trader.

Double traders happen because the spawn block respawns a trader if they move from it, to fix the disappearing trader issue from A16, and then trader protection deletes any duplicate entities... according to Prime. :)

What happens if your trader dies? Is that it for that POI or does a new trader spawn in?

So yeh to fix disappearing traders, tfp made it so that the spawn block respawns the entity if it "disappears" from the spawn block.

The problem is, when you make them vulnerable, they can now "be moved" from the spawn spot, even if by scant inches, so the trader block says "it's gone, respawn a new one".

So what WE do is use a modified script that uses a /different/ spawn block, that allows a max number of spawns, which we set to 1.

You could use the script since you're already an sdx mod, but it'll mean having to edit the prefab or the spawnTrader block to use the new scripted block.

...had the same thing with my vehicle mod... Cars (working) would spawn, move JUST a bit, then a new one would respawn flipping the old one, over and over. Quite hysterical.

So, I now use the modified spawn block instead of the lazy vanilla one.

...as you continue modding, you'll realize more and more that tfp has a lot of "hack" fixes to legitimate problems. *Cough*invisible animals*cough*.

...as you continue modding, you'll realize more and more that tfp has a lot of "hack" fixes to legitimate problems. *Cough*invisible animals*cough*.

Well they ARE former modders, no?

;)

Hmmm...maybe I need invisible traders....haha

Is that so bad? Having the trader POI be the center of trade and industry makes sense. Did you see it as exploitive or detrimental having played it?

Realistically a vulnerable trader has not that much impact on the game UNLESS you use it as your base. And it was a nice change from the usual. It was one of the best if not the best feature of DF.

The only problem (in A16) was that the trader was so OP, having him IN the base devalued scavenging even more.

So, no, for a mod it isn't bad.

We were led to believe that invulnerable traders was a temporary thing anyway from tfp, but now it seems that's how it's going to be. :(

On open servers it probably can't be helped. in private games I don't see a realistic problem with them being vulnerable.

Who knows, we might still have a chance to get it into the game as a simple EAC-safe option, if enough ask for it. Mods like DF and 0XP should help getting more players to want this.

Rumor is vanilla will start accepting harmony patches, but I've no clue what that means or if it makes the game eac friendly.

If I'm understanding this correctly, harmony is to SDX what XPATH is to changing the XML files.

TFP would add the harmony library to the other libraries in .../Managed/ and probably add code to look for .net/harmony libraries in the mods folder. No need to overwrite Assembly-CSharp.dll or put any file into Managed anymore, just add it into the mods folder. I can't imagine it being eac friendly though because you can practically do as much as with SDX.

I've been playing this for some time now, am at 2nd playthrough since a known vanilla issue reset my first char to lvl 1...

Play on default settings with 120 minute days I am on day 24, lvl 40 , GS 116. Died 9 times mainly due to being reckless fortunately most have been back to back recovering stuff. So not that much lost in skillpoints.

This mod really fits the way I like to play. And that is to survive. I avoid Z's as much as possible and only encounter when I have to, still I had to kill 628.... Love it. I dont chase around for great loot but focus on defense and staying alive. You dont need lvl 6 shotgun when a lvl 3 does the same job, - a few repair kits. I only loot when I need things and do not enter dangerous POI's unless I have to. Most stuff can be made or traded (mods) for anyway.

ATM I'm working on traps for defense on horde night and the goal is to be, more or less, able to ignore it and concentrate on getting the loot bags. There are a few issues regarding spawns and traders.

I have found 3 traders, all in totally different locations on the map. They have all cloned themselves so there is 2 in every trailer.. Trader Jen actually did this right in front of me. When closing the trader menu and she raises her arm her clone slowly "slid" out so the original moved slightly right and the clone ended up slightly behind to the left! Weird indeed... I broke the counter so I could move around them and both are functional AND with different inventory. The other 2 traders where most likely knocked around by Z's.

I have 2 spawning issues. There is an extreme lack of animals. I've seen 2 deer, 1 boar, 1 wolf. Thats it after travelling 97 km mostly on foot.

2nd issue is the some areas have been empty recently. It's totally empty around 2 of the traders. I haven't cleared the areas at all since I just do quick "in-and-out" to have a quck look.

So in short. I love the mod, Thanks for making it :applouse: If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Shin

Thanks for the feedback. If Khaine is also getting the trader double on DF then I suspect that there is probably nothing to be done or at least if he can't find a solution I know I won't be able to do so. I will be looking to hopefully polish things up with some localization. I don't want the buff to say "bleeding" forever...lol. There are some other little things I'd like to do to make it look less hacked together. I definitely believe it is a viable alternative to the vanilla style of progression and hope it is at least fun enough for a play-through for all who try it out.

Any thoughts about adding compo pack?

And I think GS or difficuly needs to be tweaked somehow, As bad at fighting as I am and the amount of deaths I had, I still sort of beaten the game at 2nd horde night.. Just sat there looking at them die in my traps. Then again A17 AI is a joke that allows it.

Anyways, I'll change to warrior and set horde frequency to 7 days and hope I dont break the game...

So for compo pack I am supposing I would need to throw out my own prefabs file and then use his prefabs file but go in and add the modified trader POI's that have no protection. Is that about right? Personally, I like many of the prefabs in compo pack but some are not so good. Also, there are so many that they might dilute the quest POI's more thus requiring you to travel even farther to accomplish quests.

I'll try it and see what happens. I haven't worked on this at all so I'm still at the point of trying to get my new quests figured out.

So for compo pack I am supposing I would need to throw out my own prefabs file and then use his prefabs file but go in and add the modified trader POI's that have no protection. Is that about right?

Should be as far as I understand.

Personally, I like many of the prefabs in compo pack but some are not so good.

I have to admit that some are really OP.

I'll try it and see what happens. I haven't worked on this at all so I'm still at the point of trying to get my new quests figured out.

Stick to your plan. It's your mod so make it the way you want it to be. I'm just sharing my thoughts every now and then.

Shin

So,changed horde nights to every 7th +- 2. Didn't work... Did the 28 horde on 29 (14 days +- 2) Changed to 7 days +-2 horde on the 33d day. Still no horde on day 39. Doubt it will ever come, vanilla is somewhat unstable..... You know, Early access and all. I'll stick around til day 44 before I restart one way or another.

Still love the mod, but it needs balance cause it's way to easy atm. I die left and right and cant aim if my life depended on it ;) ofc thats why I die a lot.... So, day 39 lvl 55 or so. Steel, lvl 6 crafting, 4*4 made, max t-rex and mining, max loot and barter, max on archer and shotgun. Enough to farm more than I need.... A walk in the park.

I'll restart once more with harder settings.

Shin

I think there is a bug that makes it so you can’t change the horde timing within the same in progress save game.

Are you playing 60 minute days or 120 minute days? If the second then it would be closer to day 80 for default.

I think there is a bug that makes it so you can’t change the horde timing within the same in progress save game.
I suspected that but the horde actually arrived on day 40. I had also cranked up to warrior so it was some horde for sure, plenty of radiated wights and cops :smile-new:

Are you playing 60 minute days or 120 minute days? If the second then it would be closer to day 80 for default.
As mentioned in an earlier post I play 120 min days. Fits my schedule better since I usually get a game day in per RL day.

Stepping up to warrior made it better but I still think that playing on default is to easy. Not sure how gamestage is calculated here but I think it needs to be increased a bit. Just my personal opinion as usual.

Shim

So with 120 minutes days you are advancing 2 levels per day. That gets added to days alive and then multiplied by a modifier. One way to increase gamestages faster is to increase the multiplier. I did increase the multipliers over default but maybe they need to be increased even more.

The other way to do it is to add another level up event to one of the other timers. Possibly, the final timer could be a good timing so that once you are gaining 3 skill points a day you will also gain 2 levels per day thus hastening the pace of the difficulty curve.

I didn’t do the second option because I thought it would seem off to gain 2 levels at once. But then again they aren’t really levels in the same sense of the vanilla game. They are gamestage movers. So maybe it would be fine—especially if I could eventually change the message that displays from you leveling up to the world getting more dangerous.

So with 120 minutes days you are advancing 2 levels per day. That gets added to days alive and then multiplied by a modifier. One way to increase gamestages faster is to increase the multiplier. I did increase the multipliers over default but maybe they need to be increased even more.

IMHO it would be a good idea to increase multipliers even more. If days alive and the multiplier is all that affects GS you definately need to raise it. As mentioned I suck at killing Z's and avoid them if I can. Anyone skilled that goes after Z's will have a sunday afternoon stroll in the park with quests. I didnt get any ferals at all until about day 15. And that is on longer days...

After changing to 7 days horde and upping to warrior I'm good in my game. And the radiated are pouring in as they should at my lvl.

Shin

Just reached lvl 50. Sitting on my balcpny watcing hordes of Z's get killed on the traps or by the turrets. Can craft everything at highest lvl, apart from solar banks. But I already bought enough of those.

So, as usual it's game over. Nothing more to do nothing more to aim for. From now on it's not a game, just passing time.. Not the mods fault at all, it actually took me 10-15 days longer to get to this stage. Vanilla just does not have any endgame whatsoever.

Thanks for the ride.

Shin

Archived