Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'm not saying no, but it adds extra work processing decay. Our game is potatoes right now so I want to avoid anything that slows it down further that isn't absolutely necessary.

I don't want to have food spoilage. It's not interesting and just complicates things. I'd rather be busy doing other activities than worrying about my food rotting away

I don't want to have food spoilage. It's not interesting and just complicates things. I'd rather be busy doing other activities than worrying about my food rotting away

I completely agree with this.

Fallout76 is a perfect example of why food spoilage - while immersive - is just a GRIND to the system.

I'm pretty confident if there wasn't a timer on EVERY article of eatables that the servers and game would be more stable.

a lot of things are hand waved away in this game for play-ability sake, and I think food spoilage should be as well.

yes it's more immersive, but it would also be MURDER on the game's lag because of the hundreds of meat players have on them most horde nights.

<plink plink> just my two dukes

We're designing mods for each workstation.

Is there any chance of a more advanced cooking station for more complex food recipes? It always strikes me as weird that you can craft all sorts of complex items in your forge, workbench, and chemistry station; but even in the late game you can't cook using anythng more advanced than an open campfire.

Yes Unity formerly gave zero control over garbage collection, now it at least performs incrementally.

To be fair, until very recently all garbage collection in C# was primitive at best. Unity joined the C# development team not long ago and pushed hard for incremental GC.

Something of note to modders, we can now make new icons that have symbols overlaid on them, like in the top left corner. So if we make a schematic for an item we can overlay any of the UI symbols over them. So for gun parts, I might just overlay a gun part icon over the original ak47 icon. This saves atlas space and lets you build an icon. Useful for mods, gun parts, item archtypes, etc. Pretty cool.

Is there any chance of a more advanced cooking station for more complex food recipes? It always strikes me as weird that you can craft all sorts of complex items in your forge, workbench, and chemistry station; but even in the late game you can't cook using anythng more advanced than an open campfire.

I get in that debate all the time. At least workstation mods are coming.

I completely agree with this.

Fallout76 is a perfect example of why food spoilage - while immersive - is just a GRIND to the system.

I'm pretty confident if there wasn't a timer on EVERY article of eatables that the servers and game would be more stable.

a lot of things are hand waved away in this game for play-ability sake, and I think food spoilage should be as well.

yes it's more immersive, but it would also be MURDER on the game's lag because of the hundreds of meat players have on them most horde nights.

<plink plink> just my two dukes

Calm your tits guys. Most things are already optional in the game so there is no reason to believe that spoilage won't be, if they ever implement it. Many survival elements aren't for everyone, but still it seems spoilage is popular enough for Bethesda to have put it in its mainstream game, don't you think? And you don't need the servers to keep track of "individual timers" there are always more clever ways to go about it. None wants performance to suffer because of it, so if the game is not ready yet, then it isn't.

Hey Madmole... is there any chance of getting chicken coops in-game ???

In the "Starvation Mod" i loved the way you could setup Box Traps to catch chickens and rabbits and the build coops/hutches to keep them.

I find myself not making foods that need eggs (after like day 60) with them being harder and harder to find as i play with respawning loot turned off.

As the Box Traps and coops are just a block/ container in this mod i don't think there would be much of a hit to FPS ect in-game and with a little Graphical MM magic they would really cool... also it would fulfill the "animal breeding" that was in the Kickstarter vid. wink wink :p

You are the experts, but perhaps you could upgrade to 18+ just before you go gold, dump object monobehavior, refactor everything and use ECS for allegedly unreal amounts of performance increase for some crazy horde action.

That is some great info. Thanks for the link. I am too lazy to actually get into game development, but love reading about any potential advances.

Is it the voxel requirement that "limits" 7D2D as far as number of rendered objects? Limitation of the Unity engine version? I see a game like Dying Light which has amazing graphics and animations and wonder why the limitations in 7D2D. Granted that is a static game world, but the amount they render, and what they render was always impressive to me. Still have more hours in 7D2D though because frankly it is just better in bed.

I am certainly ignorant of much behind the scenes so it is most likely not a very fair comparison, but would love to be educated more on what is going on under the hood.

Players: OMG we need food spoilage nao!

TFP: Sure. Your food will spoil.

Players: OMG this is horrible! All my food is just rotting away! We need working refrigerators nao!

TFP: Okay, have some refrigerators, gated by appropriate electrical engineering perks.

Players: OMG this is horrible! Intellect is now the only way to play the game!

TFP: Sigh. Fine. Everyone will be able to craft ice boxes that use up snow as fuel.

Players: OMG this is horrible! My map does not have a snow biome conveniently close! This is broken!

TFP: FINE. Everyone will be able to craft ice boxes that always work.

Players: Meh. Food is way too easy to manage. This sucks.

TFP: WTF guys?

He's done but I'm too busy to bother :) You guys will have something else to occupy your day with.

What is that? I want to see! When can we see it! My day is boring It needs occupying!!!

I'm a survivor that just spawned in the Desert Biome and I'm looking for some shade! :smile-new:

Where is the like button

Players: OMG this is horrible! All my food is just rotting away! We need working refrigerators nao!

TFP: Okay, have some refrigerators, gated by appropriate electrical engineering perks.

TFP: Sigh. Fine. Everyone will be able to craft ice boxes that use up snow as fuel.

Players: OMG this is horrible! My map does not have a snow biome conveniently close! This is broken!

This post so makes me want a like button on the forums!

And that pretty much exposes the constant battle that TFP are facing. That line in the sand for game design decisions is a bumpy one sometimes.

That being said, the fact that my 8x scope doesn't show players at 300 meters is the most game breaking flaw that ever existed in any game and should be the focus for all TFP developers and their immediate family members.

I have no illusions or delusions that I represent the norm. What I am proof of is that if you feel strongly about a gameplay preference, you don’t have to just sit still and complain. You can watch some tutorials, ask some questions, and actually do something about it.

i for one am eagerly awaiting your zipline mod. i still don't understand how ziplines were op, but gyros aren't. and the gyro is adorable and fun.

That being said, the fact that my 8x scope doesn't show players at 300 meters is the most game breaking flaw that ever existed in any game and should be the focus for all TFP developers and their immediate family members.

There also needs to be a :strangle: icon.

Lol is true.

The game does need a food sink though, a single player can feed an entire server right now with their farm and pond. Maybe a quest that requires a large amount of food to be delivered, make a trap that uses rotten food, or just food spoilage.

Hey Madmole... is there any chance of getting chicken coops in-game ???

In the "Starvation Mod" i loved the way you could setup Box Traps to catch chickens and rabbits and the build coops/hutches to keep them.

I find myself not making foods that need eggs (after like day 60) with them being harder and harder to find as i play with respawning loot turned off.

As the Box Traps and coops are just a block/ container in this mod i don't think there would be much of a hit to FPS ect in-game and with a little Graphical MM magic they would really cool... also it would fulfill the "animal breeding" that was in the Kickstarter vid. wink wink :p

Maybe down the road.

Personally I like complex mechanics in my survival games, look no further than Conan Exiles. Problem with CE is you cant dig or destroy the map and well its not Zombies but the complex crafting system is realistic and very immersive and I hope 7D2D will get there or at least get close to that at some point. If not then no worries I am still going to be happy. I was talking with my friend the other day and the topic of "whats your favorite game of all time" came up. I explained to him that 7D2D is my all time favorite game because its complex in its own right and you have to constantly be playing. Whether its gathering materials by looting POI's to digging out an area of the map that you are making your base at. There is an infinite number of ways to play and you can literally do what ever you want in the game. There is no mundane story path you have to go through or anything. its truly open world and you can do whatever you want. He said League of Legends was his... a sad way to end that discussion in deed as LoL is the polar opposite of 7D2D.

I can't tell you all how many times my wife saw me running like a mad man through the house desperately trying to get back to my computer because i went AFK to get a drink or use the restroom only to hear on my wireless headset that my character was getting attacked by a Z. truly a helpless feeling. That my fellow survivors is how you know when 7D2D is your Favorite game of all time. Nothing is more evident than when your on the porcelain throne doing your business while listening hopelessly as your character is getting devoured.

if you want to kill this game just give it the Bernie Sanders treatment and give everyone everything free without having to work for it. I know that will never happen but the day i start a new game with a lvl 6 gun, lvl 6 tools, lvl 6 auger, Is the day i stop playing.

That is some great info. Thanks for the link. I am too lazy to actually get into game development, but love reading about any potential advances.

Is it the voxel requirement that "limits" 7D2D as far as number of rendered objects? Limitation of the Unity engine version? I see a game like Dying Light which has amazing graphics and animations and wonder why the limitations in 7D2D. Granted that is a static game world, but the amount they render, and what they render was always impressive to me. Still have more hours in 7D2D though because frankly it is just better in bed.

I am certainly ignorant of much behind the scenes so it is most likely not a very fair comparison, but would love to be educated more on what is going on under the hood.

Compare us to minecraft and you'll see how far we've come. All the limits are because of a fully destroyable world. It makes everything more expensive. Lighting, AI and pathing, reflections, shadows. In non destroyable worlds all that stuff is preprocessed and baked into the world but in a fully destroyable world you have to do everything at run time so it eats way more cpu, so its very challenging to look as good as other games that aren't fully destroyable and have decent framerate.

LOL exactly. Lets focus on shipping the game, and polishing what we have and some late game content, not adding new features and bugs and perma alpha.

No idea mate never attempted something similar but I guess that textured meshes would be infinitely more taxing than static terrain even if you cull anything that you don't have to render, with memory management being the worst thing about them in an engine like unity and every kind of change happening at runtime as MM said. If you want to learn more, I think that the best way is to get your hands dirty with a learning course on sites like e.g. udemy.

Meh, exaggerating as always...

Spoilage will never be a legit topic to discuss until it has a three letter acronym....

I thought you were going to support me on this!

Archived