Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I feel so lonely now without any of my screamer friends...

Weآ’ve had forges and chem station running almost non stop and havenآ’t seen one since the update. Maybe change 40% chance to not spawn a screamer to 25% chance?

Also to the crucible schematic showing up in destroyed forge, we didnآ’t get one until into the 60آ’s, and I like the idea, but getting one too early might be OP. Maybe a 5% chance. Around the same as food poisoning. Which Iآ’ve had 3 times in all the eating in 86 days.

It doesn't.

This suggests dungeon POIs shouldn't be in the same towns as roamers.

A town exclusively consisting of remnants however should preform fine.

Ooo, that's an interesting concept. For example, a keystone dungeon POI in the middle surrounded by roamers.

You could probably can do that already with the wasteland biome since I think the random zombie count is already higher there?

I don't know if I like the sound of the encounter system compared to actual region-based spawning. It sounds to me like this encounter system is just going to spawn things on you no matter where you are or what you're doing. If I carefully scout a town and see that it's clear to move in, but then the game randomly decides to start spawning crap on me while i'm trying to break in a a POI - that's not even close to the same as how it was before.

Or if you're out in the wilderness away from any POIs and in a place you've cleared completely of zombies just hours before, it would make no sense to have the encounter system suddenly decide to spawn something on top of you. Again, it would be nothing like before where the respawn delay was 4 or 5 days or whatever it was in wilderness.

The encounter system sounds like it could just end up like the sleeper system is now - which is highly predictable and gamey.

Good points u brought up there, but I'm all for random events, the game needs it to break from the loot>mine>build>horde routine, by day 30 I'm thinking of what character to build next. Cmon it's TFPs, there's already strippers and nurses in the game, I lure one of each down into a holding cell...for research ofc.

Maybe a naked guy will come to your front door begging to be let in who led a horde right to your base.

If he's got no dukes he's going to be my next farm plot.

Can u currently get a concrete mixer schematic from a concrete mixer?

Would it be worth adding a crucible schematic to the broken forge loot list? Instead of 20 percent chance for a forge schematic, maybe 10 percent forge schematic and 10 percent crucible??

As much as we all want that INT 10 item.. we have to be stingy. Keep looking.

Weآ’ve had forges and chem station running almost non stop and havenآ’t seen one since the update. Maybe change 40% chance to not spawn a screamer to 25% chance?

Also to the crucible schematic showing up in destroyed forge, we didnآ’t get one until into the 60آ’s, and I like the idea, but getting one too early might be OP. Maybe a 5% chance. Around the same as food poisoning. Which Iآ’ve had 3 times in all the eating in 86 days.

Yeah, Since the changes I have had a chem station burning non-stop and forge on and off, I have mined and used weapons etc, and not a single screamer.

Wasn't keen for it to be changed, and I'm not impressed by the actual change. People need to learn how to craft turrets or learn to not sit on top of their forges whilst they burn them 24/7.

@madmole

The forests are incredibly empty to the point where they don't look like a real forest. Do you ever plan to optimize the trees? I really want to see the return of real, dense forests that provide a lot more wood and cover. HDHQ has done some great work with optimizing some of the trees but the main issue there is how low-poly the trees are, and not to mention how different the trees look from our current trees. The new trees were a great step up in quality but please, can we bring back some dense forests again?

No that cannot be done. Trees are cancer to the FPS and we've already optimized them as much as possible. Go ahead and destroy your own fps by editing biomes.xml if that is so important to you, or just go planting seeds everywhere. I see loads of trees in some areas. Its as thick has it has always been but they don't spawn on hills as much now so that might give you the idea they are thinner than they were, which they aren't. We have thicker forests than most games.

I've asked for larger sub biomes then we could make general trees even thinner but have thicker patches that wouldn't kill FPS, but I don't know if we'll get that.

Good points u brought up there, but I'm all for random events, the game needs it to break from the loot>mine>build>horde routine, by day 30 I'm thinking of what character to build next. Cmon it's TFPs, there's already strippers and nurses in the game, I lure one of each down into a holding cell...for research ofc.

If he's got no dukes he's going to be my next farm plot.

Or girl?

Its more of a predicted movement setup. I'm traveling down this road, lets spawn a wandering merchant or damsel in distress. I'm going to a POI in the wasteland, lets spawn a group of guys outside his POI before he gets there so he has to deal with that. Oh an air drop, lets make some bandits go there too. If the player doesn't go there, it despawns, no big deal.

However you don't get to clear anything, ever. Its a zombie apocalypse. Maybe a naked guy will come to your front door begging to be let in who led a horde right to your base. Its not even meant to replace biome spawners, its meant to make you forget about them because they were so lame.

This just means you're technically making players nothing more than just a walking spawner. There is nothing you can do to control the encounters. This is silly to me. You're just walking around and zombies randomly spawn on you without you being able to actually influence the situation at all.

Before, (I'm talking A9,10,11) more specifically - you would try to penetrate the wasteland and it was very hard to do on the first few days. There were dogs and cops everywhere - so to successfully get through and loot - you had to be careful, well-prepared, really good at the game or any combination - but you had control and a decision about whether or not to even take on that risk.

If you walked into a town - you'd see several dozen zombies all around the town preventing clear access to most of the POIs - so you'd try to clear the town by taking on a few at a time and trying not to alert too many at once. Again, a clear and controlled situation where you are making decisions and things are occuring as a result of how you make that choice (or not).

But, with this thing you're proposing? Everything is 'fake' - you're walking around trying to be careful and the game just randomly spawns a group on you without you having any control or not - it wasn't because of the area you were in - it wasn't because of how much noise you were making - it wasn't because you were carrying raw meat on your belt - nope - it's because the game randomly fired a script and started spawning crap in front of you. That's incredibly cheap to me and just makes it all gamey - especially if it does it at really akward times and places like in locations where you literally just removed threats from the area and then you turn around and that script fires and you've got a random horde all over you.

Or girl?

Either way, seed is getting put in them.

- - - Updated - - -

This just means you're technically making players nothing more than just a walking spawner. There is nothing you can do to control the encounters...

Before, (I'm talking A9,10,11)...you had control and a decision about whether or not to even take on that risk...

If you walked into a town - you'd see several dozen zombies all around the town preventing clear access to most of the POIs - so you'd try to clear the town by taking on a few at a time and trying not to alert too many at once. Again, a clear and controlled situation where you are making decisions and things are occuring as a result of how you make that choice (or not).

But, with this thing you're proposing? Everything is 'fake' - you're walking around trying to be careful and the game just randomly spawns a group on you without you having any control or not...

Cause, you know, the apocalypse is so predictable...

well, started a new world with the new build. day 6 I finally get a weapon upgrade from stone spear or primitive bow. only made those 2, going with found weapons. I have been very unlucky on weapon finds, even in containers, lots of ammo tho. Been very lucky on crafting materials. bird cage is going up nicely, I havent crafter a single piece of cobble or smelted any stone and I have 3.6 k cobble and 3400ish cement. luckily the trader has a mixer, so a quarry was made for stone and sand production. The shamway factory first floor was very productive. 1085 cobble from there alone.

Day ^ tho I was tired of these 2 weapons and decided the army base with the truck outside the barracks was where I had to go. I took a short stack of spikes with me underground. 5 to be exact. was a good choice, got a yellow wood bow, a faulty junk turret and an iron spear out of it. We will see where this leads. night time of day 6, back into the quarry, night time tunnelling through a mountain actually draws attention.

Cause, you know, the apocalypse is so predictable...

There are many predictable situations within an unpredictable world..

(Story time)

You're in the zombie apocalypse, and as you're traversing the land with your grumbling belly, and sun-chapped lips, you happen upon a supermarket. It looks almost new. It briefly reminds you of simpler times that you took for granted. You crouch down, and spend the next several minutes cautiously looking all around you. Thankfully, the area all round you is flat with no trees giving you a visible sight-line for miles, not a single zombie, the only thing you ever saw moving was a dirty plastic cup taking a quiet, rolling ride across the asphalt on a gentle breeze. You think to yourself, "Well, it's now or never, the coast is clear outside, at least" You look all around once last time, checking behind you as well and then as you face the super-market again - a horde of zombies is there. "How is this possible!!" you ask out loud. "There's absolutely no way that any zombie could have traversed that parking lot during the two seconds I turned around."

Of course even in a fictional situation such as the zombie apocalypse - a shambling zombie has predictability. You can predict where they can possibly be or can't possibly be based on their movement speed.

This just means you're technically making players nothing more than just a walking spawner. There is nothing you can do to control the encounters. This is silly to me. You're just walking around and zombies randomly spawn on you without you being able to actually influence the situation at all.

Before, (I'm talking A9,10,11) more specifically - you would try to penetrate the wasteland and it was very hard to do on the first few days. There were dogs and cops everywhere - so to successfully get through and loot - you had to be careful, well-prepared, really good at the game or any combination - but you had control and a decision about whether or not to even take on that risk.

But, with this thing you're proposing? Everything is 'fake' - you're walking around trying to be careful and the game just randomly spawns a group on you without you having any control or not - it wasn't because of the area you were in - it wasn't because of how much noise you were making - it wasn't because you were carrying raw meat on your belt - nope - it's because the game randomly fired a script and started spawning crap in front of you. That's incredibly cheap to me and just makes it all gamey - especially if it does it at really akward times and places like in locations where you literally just removed threats from the area and then you turn around and that script fires and you've got a random horde all over you.

Exactly!

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to leave zombies out of the encounter system. Keep it to random traders, helping people in distress and bandits. Those would be easier to “fake” so to speak than large hordes of zombies magically appearing.

Loc

Everything is 'fake'

You could say the same about every process when looking under the hood. Look at leveled probabilities of loot. Someone unaware of how the game decides what's in a loot box will think it is natural when they can find better stuff than they did once their level, perks, and gamestage work together to increase those probabilities for rarer loot. But if they stop and think about the idea that if they open a box vs someone else standing next to them who is lower level and that the box will then contain different things depending on who opens the box then they too feel like everything is fake as well.

Don't look behind the curtain or think about what is happening behind the curtain and things will usually feel more natural. Madmole never said that zombies would be randomly spawned on you. He said they would be spawned ahead of you and if you never intersect with them then they will despawn. He also mentioned that it could be used to spawn other types of encounters with NPCs and eventually bandits.

You talked about how wonderful it was that there would already be zombies around a POI when you got there and that is exactly what the encounter system would do. It would place zombies in your path ahead of the time that you get there. If you deviate and never go there then the zombies will be despawned. What you seem to be describing are wandering hordes which we already have and are different than random encounters as has been explained. If the random encounters are able to be implemented well then the world should feel once again like it is full of zombies without the game having to keep so many zombies alive and accounted for in surrounding chunks that you never see or notice anyway.

Archived