Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'm hoping to write 50+ events and have them game staged. We can't have a group of high level bandits in a helicopter spawn in the forest to gun down the roaming day 1 survivor, but we could if a level 100 guy was blowing up a bandit camp... they called in the backup. I can't think of a single negative to it if we do it right.

I hope it won't be over-gamestaged. It is kind of good, if there are also challenges you better avoid, not only those you can deal with at your respective gamestage. This also separates a good survival experience from a dumb shooter in my eyes.

Evaluate a threat and then consider if u can engage. Always getting stuff I can deal with makes it too much of a simple shooter game.

So I kind of hope, it will only be tied rather loosely to gamestage. But that is my opinion.

OMFG, and Im still wondering why the direction of the game worries me. This statement is the worst comment Ive read in this forum by far.

That's precisely what made you great yes. And every player likeing the other aspect of the game, can find a better game out there that does the same. This feature is the thing that makes 7d2d the gem it is.

OFC the type of game it should be is subjective. But that theres a ton of other games that do the looting&shooting better than this game is not. So yeah, congratuilations on wanting to turn your game from the best in a not so pupular genre to a mediocre game in a very popular genre.

Hearing this from somebody who makes so many decisions in the game is the most worriesome info about the future Ive read in a lot of time.

Sorry if the post was old, I just saw some other concerned players quoting it on reddit and it is bad enough for me to not be able to shut up about it ¬¬

And that is the part that myself and others are worried about. For each small change like raw iron removed and planter boxes we move further away from what made this game so special.

If i was the developer of a game like this I would be proud of what I have been able to accomplish in a voxel world. This team took Minecraft and made it compete in the survival genre, made it look just as good as any static terrain game and introduced complexity never before seen in crafting. But the desire today seems to lie in transforming into another survival game. I can list a dozen games that do what MM described up there. Mist/Rust/Subsistence/Subnautica/Forest etc.

But how many games can you list that are just like 7 days? Thats why I hate the attitude surrounding the past, the so called legacy nonsense. Its not being resistant to changes, its not wanting to see a once unique and revolutionary game that comes along once in a lifetime become ♥♥♥♥ing Rust.

You need to stop over thinking it. This new system could do exactly what alpha 10 did without being stupid spawning zombies where players won't even see them, and having them hang out until they expire, counting against the spawn count and making server cpu trash. WE could spawn them where a player is headed before he gets there instead of in every chunk every 10 meters. Same thing but no waste. Stop over analyzing it, the whole thing is an illusion. Why do you care if a zombie spawns 200 meters behind a wall? All you should be concerned with is seeing zombies where you are going, and having encounters that are interesting at the right time, instead of constant bombardment of stupidity.

We aren't going to cheaply spawn zombies in front of you. Its more like hey you are going to this POI, but you've cleared 3 and havne't died or even had low health for a while, this guy needs something special. Lets spawn a bunch in the yard so when he gets there he has to think about it. Or you are hurt and the game is handing you a rough one, how about a wandering trader who might be coming on the same road you are but headed in the opposite direction. If that bothers you then you have mental issues. Skyrim and Fallout have random encounters and they are pretty sweet, but we could do a lot more with it than they do.

I'm thinking of it as spawn manager 2.0 and wandering horde 2.0. There is nothing better about the legacy spawning in any way. This could simulate that in a much more efficient way, and we could spawn challenging enemies and game stage it, instead of being limited to basic zeds. That late game guy who's getting bored? Lets give him something special. If he doesn't want to deal with it he doesn't have to, he can run. But why not put 10 raiders on the road asking for a toll?

I hope I'm not sounding negative and do apologise if so, but from that explanation I have to ask If it would be possible to unhinge the system from player gamestage and just be truly random events? I'm sure there are more then me that don't like the idea to have the game actively tell me what I can and can't have. Random ftw!

Getting more zombies out and about POI's would be great! (started up A15.2 again yesterday and damn thats fun!) But having a system constantly keeping track and portion out what it thinks are best sounds... awful really.

Just my thoughts on the idea. Could be great if used with caution!

OMFG, and Im still wondering why the direction of the game worries me. This statement is the worst comment Ive read in this forum by far.

That's precisely what made you great yes. And every player likeing the other aspect of the game, can find a better game out there that does the same. This feature is the thing that makes 7d2d the gem it is.

OFC the type of game it should be is subjective. But that theres a ton of other games that do the looting&shooting better than this game is not. So yeah, congratuilations on wanting to turn your game from the best in a not so pupular genre to a mediocre game in a very popular genre.

Hearing this from somebody who makes so many decisions in the game is the most worriesome info about the future Ive read in a lot of time.

Sorry if the post was old, I just saw some other concerned players quoting it on reddit and it is bad enough for me to not be able to shut up about it ¬¬

Kinda understandable though. You work on something for years you're gonna get new ideas. Dare I say it we even play different games to 7days? The other games coming out with half the complexity of 7days raking in a small fortune is a body blow to tackling a voxel monster. And then you get us lot who turn up at the forums whenever we please and tell them how it should be done.

The game has guns, it's going to have bandits pretty sure we're gonna get a lot of action. There's also building, crafting, looting, vehicles and destructible terrain, plus open to whole host of mods. How much did Angry Birds make?

Whatever way they decide to go I'm eager to see the game develop at it's own pace, can't deal with it? Go play something else for a while. And with the lessons learned tackling this monster game I'm eager to see what they come up with next. God that was beautifully put, almost gave myself a stiffy.

I hope I'm not sounding negative and do apologise if so, but from that explanation I have to ask If it would be possible to unhinge the system from player gamestage and just be truly random events? I'm sure there are more then me that don't like the idea to have the game actively tell me what I can and can't have. Random ftw!

Getting more zombies out and about POI's would be great! (started up A15.2 again yesterday and damn thats fun!) But having a system constantly keeping track and portion out what it thinks are best sounds... awful really.

Just my thoughts on the idea. Could be great if used with caution!

Concern is understandable, 7days has been my go to game for years. When I feel sh** I boot it up and savor in its sweet sweet bosom, beat the sh** out of some zeds, maybe lock one in my basement cell and life is good again.

But we haven't seen it yet and everything in this game is designed around the player. The concept isn't anything new, wandering hordes, air drops, a trader with indestructible walls...it's all contrived. So far everything feels organic (shut up zombies in cupboards this doesn't concern u), I think we're in good hands.

Concern is understandable, 7days has been my go to game for years. When I feel sh** I boot it up and savor in its sweet sweet bosom, beat the sh** out of some zeds, maybe lock one in my basement cell and life is good again.

But we haven't seen it yet and everything in this game is designed around the player. The concept isn't anything new, wandering hordes, air drops, a trader with indestructible walls...it's all contrived. So far everything feels organic (shut up zombies in cupboards this doesn't concern u), I think we're in good hands.

I'm worried it will take out a lot of the old feeling of being left alone in a indifferent world. With all the leveled loot and if this system gonna sit and judge what enemies it deems I could find, or if I play badly it will make it easier for me, not putting me in charge of my destiny in the world so to speak. The only rule over a player should be random roll in a sandbox game, I think there is a danger to have a system watch over and make active decision regarding what enemies to encounter (except on bloodmoon, since there's no way to avoid that as a player)

7Days has been one of my most time played game on steam since I started playing in A14, but I'm just terrified it will evolve into something I don't want to play (without options to mod it right) Since it has no real equal to swap to.

I hope it will be used to populate the world again, but used wrongly, I think it can hurt the experience and fullfillment as a player. If I'm doing great, is that because I'm good, or the game thinks I'm bad so I get easy obstacles? Or turned around, I'm being skilled so the game punishes with extreme dangers until it's over? It's a hard balance which I don't feel the game should make in a sandbox type.

All this is of course just speculation from that text Madmole wrote so I'm taking it with a grain of salt understanding we don't have the full picture, but best to atleast point it out! :)

7 days has become a religion like and spawned a unique following from its very first alpha.

Initially stamped as a minecraft clone, it’s stepped out from the crowd and now reformed itself into an amazing fully destructible survival gem.

That is what 7 days was, is and always should be.

Quantum can you add to the faq that we're planning a localization update to the four supported languages this winter, and after that will will look at the challenges to Chinese, Portugese, Japanese and Russian?

Thank you very much Madmole, we are anxious for the translation, thank you very much!

So you're going to ignore my question , in fact half the forum posts that hate the balance of this patch and act high and mighty?

I should have known better. The developers of this game give no 2 cents about what the community thinks unless it favors their decisions.

Im sorry, but are talking about the same game?

I truly disliked A17, but with A18 i have a blast. The Server i host is as full as it havent in 2 years and the vast majority come with me to the same conclusion:

Madmole, Fataal, Gazz and the whole of TFP made an unbeliveable effort to bring 7 Days to die back on Track.

Sure you can dislike some changes like Hoe gone and Terrain blocks gone, but the advantages weigh so much more.

Yes, Mr. Mole has a blunt nature in responding but that has nothing to do with you personal. And if worded correctly he is quiet receiveable for constructive critism.

Be happy that he responds at all. I am and appriciate that. he or the others cant read every post and to be honest? As i read your Comment i cant blame them for skipping it, the way you showed manners or rather said the lack of it.

You say something about "acting high and mighty" ? Have a look in the mirror.

I recently read in this thread that the shotgun was a mediocre weapon. On my current game I am specialized in strength and I just found a purple shotgun. So I put 4 points in the skill 'boomstik', installed the mods that stick to my style and, as we are the day 35, I climbed onto my roof to greet the weekly band of morons.

Conclusion: the shotgun is perfectly balanced, ultra powerful and is an excellent end-game weapon (I kill irradiated in 2 headshots).

I play survivalist with hordes in speed "nightmare".

Of course, the frequency of reloading may be a problem for players familiar with the M60, but in the end I spent 3 times less ammunition than with the AK (and they are much cheaper).

And concerning the double-barrel, I use it frequently in the beginning : it's the assurance to kill quickly and surely in close quarters without being hit.

I recently read in this thread that the shotgun was a mediocre weapon. On my current game I am specialized in strength and I just found a purple shotgun. So I put 4 points in the skill 'boomstik', installed the mods that stick to my style and, as we are the day 35, I climbed onto my roof to greet the weekly band of morons.

Conclusion: the shotgun is perfectly balanced, ultra powerful and is an excellent end-game weapon (I kill irradiated in 2 headshots).

Of course, the frequency of reloading may be a problem for players familiar with the M60, but in the end I spent 3 times less ammunition than with the AK (and they are much cheaper).

And concerning the double-barrel, I use it frequently in the beginning : it's the assurance to kill quickly and surely in close quarters without being hit.

Do you get enough paper or do you need to use glue to make some? I ask because I haven't spec'ed into shotgun because of glue supply concerns. It used to be my favorite weapon.

@MM

Found these 13.75 degree angle blocks in a POI that says "Plating" on the out side. Problem is they are no where in the game. I found them in the Creative menu. it is a 4 block set named:

narrow wedge high

narrow wedge mid

narrow wedge low

narrow wedge tip

these blocks are perfect for vehicles as they don't damage them when you drive up them or down them. can these please be added to the game?

these are for creative menu only and not planned for player create, hence no recipes.

sorry, i love them too but was told ... (not every dev block is to be available for crafting) :)

good luck tho, maybe we can have them later, never know.

The issue isn't the pump but the double barrel that is a terrible T2 weapon in comparison to the rest.

Do you get enough paper or do you need to use glue to make some? I ask because I haven't spec'ed into shotgun because of glue supply concerns. It used to be my favorite weapon.

At the moment I've enough, but I hope I'll find a Paper Mill in a few days... I'll be sitting on a paper mine then (Madmole forgot to nerf it ^^).

One thing I noticed too : the shotgun is the only weapon that allows me to get out of a POI with more ammo than when I entered... (of course I use my baseball bat half of the time, but doing the same thing with the AK or a pistol uses much more of ammos).

For me the shotgun is and has alway been the real badass weapon ^^.

The issue isn't the pump but the double barrel that is a terrible T2 weapon in comparison to the rest.

I agree it could be considered as a tier 1 instead of the blunderbuss. But in that case, what would be a T3 shotgun ? Maybe a shotgun with a better range and a larger capacity, but not a more powerful one I hope... It would be totally OP.

Finally getting some game time & crafted a bicycle & I was wondering if we could improve going up hills.

Is it possible to use the Space Bar in combination with Shift to make the Character stand up while riding?

I would like to simulate actual Bike Riding where you stand up to get extra torque just like you do when you rode your BMX as a kid.

Small hills are pretty much undoable & you have to ride at an angle & that just doesn't feel right.

Finally getting some game time & crafted a bicycle & I was wondering if we could improve going up hills.

Is it possible to use the Space Bar in combination with Shift to make the Character stand up while riding?

I would like to simulate actual Bike Riding where you stand up to get extra torque just like you do when you rode your BMX as a kid.

Small hills are pretty much undoable & you have to ride at an angle & that just doesn't feel right.

I think you can press C to do a little bunny hop. 😎👍

I thought the game is balanced for all levels, it's not. So my feedback on shotguns not doing it's job on insane is irrelevant. I think devs also buffed it recently but yer as beHype said pump does ok but is a late game drop usually, the other two albeit fun (max reload blunderbuss is kewl), don't do anything on Insane so compared to other trees shotty's felt off.

Haven't tested shotty's after the buff, although might drink some elixir soon, current stealth build is not so fun without the nvg, day 35.

You eventually reach a point where you cant increase your damage anymore with a given attribute and a maxed out weapon. And yet the game stage keeps increasing.

Should there not be a cap on the main attributes so our damage can keep up with the rising gamestage?

I recall MM saying you could go past 10 in the future by wearing +attribute items.

Not quite there, yet. It's going to get a buff... but not in DPS which is what many consider the only useful stat of a weapon. =P

It was designed with a heavy crowd control component and due to animation shenanigans and a too generic approach to stuns it didn't really do that.

Archived