Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

TL;DR

So people who liked it when items degraded and guns were 10x worse than the basic bow also think that the loot is too good... and they stop playing now because the game is over for them at day 20?... wut?

The first 2 hordes are not even that hard... you are missing all the crazy horde nights and demolishers and crap. And how would item degradation and poop mini games improve this? I do not understand.

I am coming up on my day 21 in my one world and I have no idea how I am going to survive the next few hordes... thinking about just spamming my minibases all over the place and just jumping from one to another as they drop, while trying to shoot as many as I can, lel. Or maybe I will finally start crafting ammo... although I have piss for guns atm.

Ummm all items have 1 less mod slot in A18. Yea we have a cosmetic slot but when it was revealed that we were getting a cosmetic slot. It was sold to us as an addition not as a cost. I feel it should be 1 slot per Quality tier starting at T2. 4 mods on quality 6 items seems a little underwhelming imo.

T1 0 slots

T2 1 slot

T3 2 slots

T4 3 slots

T5 4 slots

T6 5 slots

T7 the “legendary” items are unique and should not have any slots.

For example, A T7 steel picaxe is named “Grandpa’s golden tooth” it so strong it one hits metal and stone. But not Reinforced Concrete. And has a chance to yield gold nuggets on hit.

Obviously make the drop rate .01% chance to ensure the unique rarity. As you may or may not ever find a legendary item. This is just an example and I think it will be super easy and fun to implement. You could do similar things to all tools and weapons.

You can't compare how it once was to how it is now since how it was was unfinished and placeholder until they could get to it. You were playing the OP version and now you are playing the better balanced version. Today's version is still not quite finished and will undergo further changes so don't get to used to it either.

Which is exactly why they stopped. Unless a poll is initiated by one of the developers for the purpose of officially getting some community feedback on an issue it isn't going to be happening any more. There was too much of an attitude of "Why did TFP do A when the poll said they should do B" and the developers don't want to give the impression that designing this game is determined by polls.

Ah good. That's exactly the info I was trying to extract.

I think everybody can get on board with this explanation for the lack of polls more.

To say this was the mindset for all previous polls, I'm not gonna buy though. Some of those past polls were way too specific to be just out of curiosity, and going way back, many were not just for fun. madmole was pushing hard for involvement in this one: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?50512-A15-Experimental-Mining-Poll for example.

If it at some point it was realized that polls are just a bad idea, even if it was because they had no desire to follow what the majority voted for on some, so be it. I can accept that straight-forwardness, but not that they were just for fun and that was their only purpose.

I guess “passionate” wasn’t the right word. Perhaps it is just that you think of certain gameplay choices as tedious that I think of as fun. But you’ve also enabled the means for us to get our brand of fun via mods so that is wonderful.

My mom, for example, would be super pleased with a dozen more crop varieties, fruit trees, and incorporating irrigation and crop quality to farming as well as growing seasons. I’m fine with none of that being in the base game. The current crops and the planter mechanic is great for me. Too much emphasis on farming would feel tedious to me.

But, anyhow, raiders stealing your stuff does sound awesome for the future as long as I have a chance to track them back to their hidey hole and get revenge....and my stuff back.

This is a great example of why I refer to mods a lot. People need to set aside their weird tastes and understand their cup of tea is a gallon of piss to most people. I like challenging combat, challenges solving the horde in a way that to me is fun, but don't want to micromanage crops. A gun jam sounds fun because its an oh ♥♥♥♥ situation where you suddenly have a big problem to deal with if you didn't bring a backup weapon, but a complex repair degradation system would just be frustrating to most.

Devs is it possible to enhance the catwalk stairs hitbox (?) a little bit? When you're walking or running them downwards you tend to go above the railing and fall!

Maybe at some point. Current limitations to shape colliders make that tricky. The solution might be in the player controller.

I am not excited by T6 are not craftable, but frankly I haven't played long enough to get even blue items yet. And from my experience, I never get excited to get T2 item, as they still have one mod and t1 can beat t3 item 95% of time, So I often find 5-10 t3 item before I can actually use any. And most of time it is just because I need 2 mod in items or more. I feel t2 and t4 will lose their charm as more people play this game.

None of them have charm unless the stats favor it. Then that item has charm until something better comes along.

Steel Tool Parts are RARE.

there are several of us on a server (NORMAD) all running around level 20-40 and we have found very few steel tool parts. I have 8 in total and those are from scraping the steel tools I got from a trader.

I have 100s of gun/bow/other parts but not steel tool parts. you need 15 per Steel tool.

there are several of us on a server (NORMAD) all running around level 20-40 and we have found very few steel tool parts. I have 8 in total and those are from scraping the steel tools I got from a trader.

I have 100s of gun/bow/other parts but not steel tool parts. you need 15 per Steel tool.

Yea I never find enough steel tool parts + schematic before Im just rocking an aug + chainsaw :/

Radiation shielding perhaps, its not used in much since they discovered its so toxic. I'd rather just reduce the ore veins and see more coal and nitrate tbh.

well a rad suit would be a use, that would require a radiated area (well one that isn't the border of the map).

@ MM and Team

I am personally really enjoying A18 and eagerly await Stable.

The idea of repair kits is something that still bothers me though..... to have one set of repair tools to be able to repair all. Could you not have a repair / tool Box to repair with. This Tool box degrades over time as it is used and can be restocked if it gets too low.

Lvl 1 Tool Box: You build/craft with diff tools and items. e.g. Hammer, wrench, Duct tape and Metal frags. - repairs all items below lvl 4

Lvl 2 Tool Box: You Build or upgrade from Lvl 1 with extra - repairs all items

Keep up the excellent work.

"The idea is not to die for your Country, but to have the enemy die for theirs" Gen. Patton :cocksure:

To your last point I have been here for a long while as a lot of others have as well, and we watched the goalposts get moved on end game content several times. By the teams own admission they are targeting 20 hour players so my assessment is not that far off for whats expected for a casual player.

I'm getting real tired of this misconception of what I said.For the last time, we want to make the first twenty hours polished and amazing so they actually get addicted and see many many 100+ hour characters. How can they get to 50 hours if they quit before 20 because of bugs, poor performance or lack of balance?

We are not targeting casuals or skipping late game. FFS, Alpha 18 is evidence enough, its 100+ hours now to play a decent build and you still don't have all purple gear and every book unlocked. Any casual would rage quit this game. The game is harder than ever with food poisoning, rage zombies, night mare run speeds, etc. The game is longer than ever with a very slow long game of looting and a nasty challenge of zeds.

(please excuse the broken MP purple bug that is fixed in the next update and traders will no longer sell top gear)

The majority I have found have been in cars I think. But the motorized tool parts seem to drop a lot more often then then the steel

@ MM and Team

I am personally really enjoying A18 and eagerly await Stable.

The idea of repair kits is something that still bothers me though..... to have one set of repair tools to be able to repair all. Could you not have a repair / tool Box to repair with. This Tool box degrades over time as it is used and can be restocked if it gets too low.

Lvl 1 Tool Box: You build/craft with diff tools and items. e.g. Hammer, wrench, Duct tape and Metal frags. - repairs all items below lvl 4

Lvl 2 Tool Box: You Build or upgrade from Lvl 1 with extra - repairs all items

Keep up the excellent work.

"The idea is not to die for your Country, but to have the enemy die for theirs" Gen. Patton

But how do you know that you wouldn't be getting 20 new ones that liked the older systems?

The flaw in your argument is you're assuming you're getting new customers because of the lamed systems, and not because the game has risen in popularity as a result of the old systems. I just made that argument cut both ways.

In short, it's much more likely that you are gaining a larger audience because of advertisement, how long the game has been around, and word-of-mouth, then because you streamlined the systems. How would a new player know you streamlined the systems, to *want* to purchase?

I'm not even saying you're wrong, I'm saying that you are making assumptions that are just as bad as the ones we make. :-)

You regularly say things that are very relevant and have the merit of being arguments to discuss.

But sometimes, like this one, I tell myself that it's a really good thing that you aren't in charge of the development of this game :D

- - - Updated - - -

Can you please reintroduce human turd? it was awesome to throw in other players (...)

Are you a monkey? Congratulations for posting here if that's the case!

You regularly say things that are very relevant and have the merit of being arguments to discuss.

But sometimes, like this one, I tell myself that it's a really good thing that you aren't in charge of the development of this game :D

- - - Updated - - -

Are you a monkey? Congratulations for posting here if that's the case!

do you not know what the word "fun" means ?

Archived