Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yeah it is really close to perfect for solo. Just did my day 28 horde last evening, actually about the same results as Auger had haha, cept I used more grenades. Man those grenades and moloys are great fun - love the effects of the nades especially.

I'm wondering about steel tools requiring steel tool parts, though. I was lucky enough to find a steel fireaxe like on day 8 or so, but I've been stuck with the iron fireaxe ever since. I found the crucible schematic, crafted steel and then noticed I had to go find steel tools to scrap to get the parts to craft the pickaxe lol. I kinda get it, but at the same time it kinda defeats the purpose maybe. Granted, I did find another steel fireaxe to scrap to get the last few parts I need, and really the iron pick was good... idk, perhaps I'm being nit-picky.

I do love all of those recipes and schematics, especially the books though. Although the weapon crafting ones idk, kinda seems like by time you can read one that you're not perked into crafting a level 1 of that gun is rather pointless, both to use and to sell. Perhaps in some way - by reading one - you can have a chance at learning the next tier of level to craft? Not the perk, just the ability to craft a higher level.

We are doing some balance, people are getting good gear too soon. This will restore crafting as all the brown guns you find will be crafted into something better, until the loot catches up with you, then later game you will probably loot something better than what you crafted early game. Its not going to be brown forever and there will still be a chance for purple on day 1, but generally we're stretching the crappy gear out a little more is all to make crafting more of a thing again.

Really enjoying almost every change made in A18, though I think the base dismemberment chance given by attributes quickly makes stronger but more expensive weapons irrelevant. Not much point in using a magnum when I have a 30%+ chance to pop a head with my much cheaper and more versatile pistol.

An idea would be that each individual weapon has a dismemberment multiplier that is factored into the base chance from attribute. Like a Wooden Club could have a 0.25x dismemberment multiplier that would turn your 40% chance to 10%, while weapons like the Revolver and Sniper Rifle could be like 1.5x or even just 2x for guaranteed dismemberment at Rank 10.

Also what seems to be a bug I found is that lockers prevent block placement in a 3x3 area around them. I can provide an image from where we had this issue.

Any good mod setups for level 6 knuckles? I'm rolling with serrated blades + the flaming mod (which makes it hard to see anything with the fists staying center screen and the flames taking up all the area around them :/ ) but I really dont know wtf to put on them otherwise to fill up the extra 2 slots (or 3 if I dont want to deal with constant flames blocking my fov)

i think then the crafted version should be treated as a new block, concrete is different as it hardens and you can't or wouldn't be able to easily move that but a box of dirt should be something you can move easily enough

Hahahahaha dude I'm strong af but lifting a 1 meter cube of dirt is impossible, unless you can 1250 kilos lol. Anyhow in the next patch you will be able to shovel your own up, but not shovel up the ones at pois, they will just drop a bit of clay and nitrate.

MM or anyone with the KNOWLEDGE

At work and cannot try, and always forget to when I get on in the evening, Do the thrown rocks use the same mechanics as thrown molotovs/grendes? Inexpensive way to practice arcs and trajectories.

No they throw further so you can actually distract them away. Before it was some weenie arm throw that was useless.

We are doing some balance, people are getting good gear too soon. This will restore crafting as all the brown guns you find will be crafted into something better, until the loot catches up with you, then later game you will probably loot something better than what you crafted early game. Its not going to be brown forever and there will still be a chance for purple on day 1, but generally we're stretching the crappy gear out a little more is all to make crafting more of a thing again.

i think with different POIS there would be chest based off the the areas

example a house in diresvill would have a reinforced wooden chest.

this is my ideas for the chest.

reinforced wooden chest , scrap chest , reinforced scrap chest, iron chest , iron reinforced chest , steel chest , reinforced steel chest , then the harden chest

take a shot each time i say chest!

also the hire rank ones you need to ether pick open or break it!

- - - Updated - - -

There is an "Insert image" option on new reply/post. Icon looks like a picture of a tree.

ok ill do that when i get home so you guys can make fun of me lol

Perception guy fights at a great distance and doesn't need healing.

Strength fights up close and has food for healing, and needs maximum energy for mining and sledgehammering.

Fortitude fights up close and has armor and natural health regen, so he is good to go health wise.

Agility avoids direct conflict with stealth and ranged combat, or sneaky kills with blades, so he doesn't need healing.

Int heals with medical abilities.

If we move cooking to Fortitude, the Strength guy is hosed and has no means to heal or feed himself as he uses more stamina than any other build by far so that is why it is where it is.

I can see I'm going to lose this argument but let me try one more volley:

Strength has Sexual T-Rex so does that not address the stamina concern?

Give the Strength guy the Huntsman perk and he can extract more meat/protein from the animals. Add a buff to this perk that reduces food poisoning chance from eating burnt, grilled and/or boiled meat and there you go. The Carnivore Carl build.

Nice, i'm really hoping we eventually see some sort of tie in with crafting and repair as that makes perfect sense and adds more usefulness to crafting after you have your purple looted gear all set and cant craft better.

Day 21 Horde Night last night. MP server, pretty vanilla setup. 8 MaxAlive, Adventurer (default) difficulty, but we're on 120-minute days. There were 5 of us, ranging from 36 to 56 (mostly 50s) for GameStage, so computed GS was 149. We'd converted one of the antenna farms into a base. Lots of spikes, some barbed wire.

We were NOT prepared.

The Radiateds started showing up on the second wave, and the waves were 207 count, with 47 MaxAlive for the party. They did NOT make it to the building, but I think that was thanks in part to two of us actually having pretty nicely modded Junk Turrets in play with points in Turrets Syndrome. We went through well over 700 7.62mm and nearly 1800 9mm, as well as grenades, pipe bombs, and a whole lot of spikes. Was great fun. Horde was over around midnight, but given that we're playing double-length, not too shabby.

This time though, I want to build a bunker that's a bit better suited and get more barbed wire, less spikes. Problem is one of us stayed on after everyone else last night and ran a lot of the next game day or two out. We'll see; that's one of the reasons we run 120-minute days.

Awesome.... funny how the one guy kept playing and shafted the lot of you :D

Is there any plans to adjust vehicles speed or introduce mods that speed them up and let them go up hills better? Aside from the storage the speed changes are a bit underwhelming and its kinda funny that I can drink a megacrush and outrun someone on a motorcycle.

We removed engine quality = torque so it was using the low end worst engine torque. That is fixed in the next update, so going uphills should be much improved.

Its easy not to drown, that is a choice. Driving into a radiated space at night? Not so much until we get invisible walls to block players or something.

Or just have the radiated areas glow.... since they're like radiated. Then you'd have to really not be paying attention to accidentally drive into one.

Bicycling along roads in the desert during the day I frequently get a kamikaze vulture out of seemingly nowhere. Always attacks right away. My health doesn't matter, has happened at 100% more often than while slightly wounded. Is this working as intended?

No they should leave you alone unless injured or blood moon.

No they should leave you alone unless injured or blood moon.

Odd I can confirm that happened to me as well. I was attacked by vultures when I was over 100 health and fully healed. Perhaps there is a bug with the code when your health is over 100 that causes it to occur?

Bicycling along roads in the desert during the day I frequently get a kamikaze vulture out of seemingly nowhere. Always attacks right away. My health doesn't matter, has happened at 100% more often than while slightly wounded. Is this working as intended?

Maybe they are looking at your bicycle health? XD Keep it healthy!

Archived