Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Can we keep the discussion to A18 game play, bugs, performance and not discuss our past business decisions? And leave the drama at your discord, we're trying to run a business here. All we care about is fixing bugs and getting the performance problems solved so people can enjoy the software. Roland you too.

Message received. Everyone in my Discord has actually had nice things to say about this Alpha, but ill just stay there from now on.

Im sorry if my post came off looking like a condemnation. Was actually intending it to cut through the noise and present that this Experimental is a success in my opinion since so many are working together to try and help with stuff.

I get it, I have worn out my welcome. Hopefully you got to see my 2 subsequent positive posts.

No, i most definitely was not.

I was pointing out the reality of having this kind of (hyped) experimental release, to this forum.

It doesn't matter, in a day or week or month we'll have it running great and all that is left is a great game to buy and play. This is just a small road bump on the path to glory.

@madmole

when playing A18

i could not find the Steel bat! or the sticky grenades???

did you take them out or???

Sticky grenades was my fault--I got confused with the C4 that you can stick to things. Trust the patch notes more than the first post.

I've been saying it repeatedly :) They are rare once you get to T5 and so beneficial early game I do them and have the rest of the game to clear zombies or fetch.

Doing so buried supplies quests early on definitely paid off; if you saw my previous post, I purchased a pink AK-47 from the trader on day 4. ;)

I am googling to see if TFP own stock in GPU Makers :)

Pros:

-- A18 is going in the direction I appreciate - that is the game play, the questing and the books/weapons/tools and XP. I really enjoyed - still only level 5 but so much better then A17.x

CONS:

-- its EXP and I am hoping then y can fix graphics so I can play with out buying the new "MM special edition GPU card" :)

We have two areas we think will help with maybe one optimization coming out today perhaps. That said if games are your main hobby, or this game is.... A beast rig would be a good investment. I pay 3500 for my pc and it will be top of the line for 3 years, thats just 3 bucks a day to smash pixels as hard as humanly possible and its worth it to me, and I can deduct it from my taxes so for me its a no brainer to have a sweet rig.

Can we keep the discussion to A18 game play, bugs, performance and not discuss our past business decisions? And leave the drama at your discord, we're trying to run a business here. All we care about is fixing bugs and getting the performance problems solved so people can enjoy the software. Roland you too.

yessir!

I've been saying it repeatedly :) They are rare once you get to T5 and so beneficial early game I do them and have the rest of the game to clear zombies or fetch.

The buried loot appears to generate at weirder depths than previously.

In A17 the box was typically about 3 voxels deep - always above the stone layers.

In A18 I had two loot jobs in the Snow biome in gentle slopes. The first one was visible from the surface with zero digging required. The second had me dig out the 9x9 square of the loot indicator flashing red and then the 9x9 tiles below that right to the stone layers. I had to give up looking because I can't craft anything that will let me excavate rock with any speed and the hunger rates are extreme - even worse in the snow biome! Basically I'm eating maybe 3 deer and a couple of wolves a day! :beguiled:

So I've given you a bit of ♥♥♥♥ the past few months, and there are some things i can sit here and nitpick (so much loot) BUT you have basically proven me wrong. You seemed to have steered the ship from 17 towards more fresher waters and the anchors are at the ready for a nice smooth landing.

Good work. As soon as these fps issues get all figured and sorted I would go so far as to say even though i miss my LBD dearly, the new systems you guys came up with are an adequate replacement. Enough for me to almost be ready to leave the memories of it behind and fully accept this new system. And for me thats big.

17 felt like such a chore to start up and play, with 18 I am waking up daily itching to get back on game. Thank you for making me a believer again.

Thanks Jax. That's what happens when I steer the boat, happy faces :) Which is why my new avatar is perfect for this alpha. I'm happiest doing design and balance too.

Regarding the repair talk: I like the new repair kit being used on everything. As mentioned though, might be a bit intimidating for a new player. Maybe better documentation/tutorial on all the steps required to make a repair kit.

We can probably do an extended tutorial at some point and get players crafting iron tools.

Roland,

My original point was simply that having very carefully prepared this launch (which it is, considering the streamer attention and the twitter attention) and talking about Must Fixes bug numbers everyday it seems weird to have such an obvious issue spoil all the fun.

Joel himself stated he and team really wanted to have this be a soft landing and he even specifically talked about steam reviews and public opinion and how first impressions matter. It seemed to me that this was a lesson they learned (possibly from A17).

Fast forward to now, and it just pains me to see a really great and overall much more polished release (compared to previous experimentals and even stable releases!) be blemished by this major performance issue.

It just seems like something to could have been prevented, since it's almost impossible to not have someone on the internal testers not be affected by it. Unless it's a very small group. Which lead to me point out that maybe a bigger internal tester group might be helpful.

Lesson learned, we will test on potatoes from now on too.

Haven't had time to tweak settings much to see what the cause is, but so far A18 is the first Alpha to be barely playable on my system. Even in A17 I would consistently get 50+ FPS. SO far I max out at 30ish and drop to low teens at times. Movement looks very choppy as a result.

I don't get it...

I created a new game 4K map on my laptop (razor) with i7/16GB 512SSD and GTX1060 and I am playing in FULL HD on ULTRA and getting 60FPS outside.

I only turned off Motion Blur and I have the NVidia GPU Anisotropic Filtering to x2.

the game is LOCAL not online.

yet my high-end gaming rig at home with GTX 1060/6BG I7/32GB 2x 512SSD struggles on High to get 10-15FPS.

is there a difference between local and online when it come to textures/graphics?

Apparently there is an issue with anistropic filtering.

I like that you made them for everything too, saves me a couple of inventory slots, I used to always carry forged iron and/or steel on me, in addition to repair kits for weapons, just so I could repair those tools while out and about. Now I just need one stack of repair kits: sold. Is a smooth refinement imho.

Yes any sane person (sorry guppy) will love where we're taking this. We're going to extend it to generators and traps too, wild goose chases for mech parts springs and other bozo repair mats for things has to go away. You'll still need wood for wood, concrete for concrete etc, but all those other traps and things can just use a repair kit.

I have a question:

Why are "open" cabinets even a thing in the furniture helper menu. Like, who would use those and why, can't think of a single scenario. Just seems like extra clutter in that menu.

Furthermore, why can't you just make them all have open and closed states in the first place? I tend to overtake POIs for my main base, then build BM towers from scratch. One of my fav things is making use of existing furniture, like stoves to store pots, grills etc. Fridges for food. Sinks for jars and water, etc. Right now I keep my coffee, beans and seeds in a coffeepot, is fun. But in A17 and now in A18 I get so many dud cabinets and fridges etc that I have to destroy them and replace them. Why not just have the model different when they are empty, open, and then revert to the closed model when they have stuff in them. I imagine there is some technical hurdle, but can it, should it, be overcome? I think it would make far more sense and be worth the effort.

To troll the guy you raid and place a bunch of open cupboards lol. Making doors have animations would decrease framerate by adding bones and animations to every lootable.

We have two areas we think will help with maybe one optimization coming out today perhaps. That said if games are your main hobby, or this game is.... A beast rig would be a good investment. I pay 3500 for my pc and it will be top of the line for 3 years, thats just 3 bucks a day to smash pixels as hard as humanly possible and its worth it to me, and I can deduct it from my taxes so for me its a no brainer to have a sweet rig.

You’re giving me the new pc itch so I’m gonna have to get a new one soon. The one I have now I assembled over 5 years ago when the 970s came out and almost immediately went on sale due to inaccurate claims that they were 4GB. Most of past builds have been governed by when the next DOOM comes out... so I’ll just use that as justification. Gonna try to keep it under 3k though. It sounds like you got a couple extras in that build.

It's just WAYY too much VRAM (relative to the actual quality of the textures). That excludes at least half (probably more) of the people who play the game from even using the intended textures without eventually or immediately slowing down to a crawl. From best I can tell, to avoid any performance penalty you need at least 8GB of VRAM. You can get by with 6GB of VRAM - but with extended playthroughs - you might eventually start thrashing and the FPS will even suffer with that - you might have to do that 'mem' command or alt-tab or something to flush it. With 4GB of VRAM - your FPS is definitely suffering as a result and how playable it will be will just depend on how much bandwidth you have in the pipe..3GB cards and below would probably always dip below 30fps frequently except when in a POI or looking at the sky or ground due to texture overload.

We pool 25 copies of every object at startup. Not for long though, we're writing a dynamic object pooler so stuff loads when needed, and is unloaded when not needed. This should reduce vram a ton.

Hmm, not sure if this is intentional or not. So now a level 1 item has one mod slot, which is nice... but a level 2 only has one slot, what up with that?

3 and 4 and 2 slots, 5 has 3, 6 has 4. Its intentional to make the higher quality items have distinct separation from the crude stuff.

Why does my charecter need a smaller sledgehammer....found a level 2 on first day and he swings like he is exhausted.......little slow on the swing ???

Coughs* Bigger Maps * Coughs

To keep dps sane. Just start swinging then move to the target. ONce you get the timing down it works great. If you think its too slow try a club, they are great. You can also perk into flurry of blows to increase the speed some.

Archived