Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

No it was never in the game. How do you even run anywhere then before you get a vehicle? You've always had to hold shift.

I'd like to see it someday, but its not happening now in content lock.

We aren't asking for it in a18 now... but we DID ask for it being replaced in a17, and you guys never notated to put it back in. (Fataal might remember the conversation because you forgot to bind some gyro controls in, but he added them in one of the patches. A that time I brought up the vehicle run toggle again. Its been several years now of reporting it, and controller support is so far off your radar no one ever does anything about it. (Other than Fataal literally putting the missing gyro controller control in within hours!)

We aren't asking for anything new at the last minute before a18 drops.. we have however BEEN asking for it for YEARS now though.

(As a great example how low a priority is is to you, you completely forgot it was working perfectly in the game and came from the console port. Its not really your department, but someone must must be in charge of controller code .

It just sucks it'll be another year before we see it added, IF someone even remembers it then. (And I suspect like years before, we'll be having this same conversation again.)

As a side note, I was thinking about the junk turrets... how hard is it managing the max deployed refilling their ammo? Since that would be achieved later game, are having several running at the same time even manageable?

Yeah, I certainly understand the technical aspect and why you've gone the route you have. I'm fine with it myself, I was trying to find some middle ground for those who want more z by simply making the new way a default setting that could be altered in a menu option, similar to how one can set the # of BM spawns now. Is there actually a compelling technical reason not to? If not then just do it, add the option, and move on.

Thing is I was playing an A17 mod and whatever the F it did to wild zombie spawning caught me by surprise, in a good way. I might only see like one or two at first, then more just kept showing up, far more than in vanilla. If I ignored them and got distracted in a city area they would amass to near wandering horde levels, it was nuts, and pretty neat.

Do you even check out any of the mods? I think I remember you saying you didn't, and I found that really surprising, especially given your history as a modder. I prefer and focus on vanilla, but check out mods too later on, it's super interesting. Just hope you don't fail as hard as minecraft has over the years, ffs I doubt they will ever make a full game, but with mods it can be pretty amazing. They got WAY too comfortable with that over time, it's embarrassing at this point, at least your dev cycles are far more significant with each alpha.

No I don't look at mods. I have a bunch of programmers that mod in whatever I can imagine, so why bother? The game is my perfect modded out version, so I don't need mods, its exactly what I want to play. If there are mods that add professional quality voice acted followers and AAA quality armor and clothing let me know, I'd be interested in those.

No I don't look at mods. I have a bunch of programmers that mod in whatever I can imagine, so why bother? The game is my perfect modded out version, so I don't need mods, its exactly what I want to play. If there are mods that add professional quality voice acted followers and AAA quality armor and clothing let me know, I'd be interested in those.

Are vehicle mods coming in this alpha?

@madmole @Roland I request something, please... Can I have my username changed to Sage or Sage22, or something with Sage at the forefront?

But I actually know your name. I know like 3 or 4 guys on the whole forum by name and your change would be stupid and ruin the experience for me.

MM it's the unexpected that is interesting. Personally, I don't want to enter a POI and expect each room to be loaded with 2-3 sleepers. It feels *fixed*. It feels like enemies placed by the developers, rather than people who died there in the apocalypse. It is not "natural", not "realistic". Want more randomness. Like some rooms being empty, others rarely being crowded etc. A small chance of zombies sandwiching you in POIs with a trigger and things like that.

And realism should definitely not trample gameplay, but realism not having a place in games is a bit of an overstatement, no? The game already tries to be realistic on every aspect. Physics, animations, textures, needs, tools, inventory system, crafting, building etc etc. As long as it complements gameplay and doesn't obstruct or make it a chore it is evidently great.

I think you will like 18, the pois are so much better now, and yes the unexpected is what makes a game fun, when it feels like you have no idea what the enemy might do and the possibilities "feel" high its an amazing time.

Don't like multiple ways to do things. I have 17 jugs of acid piled up, we need more uses for acid not more ways to get it.

Maybe add acid pool traps that need to be refilled after so many "hits"? or acid traps that can be triggered to dump acid on zombies from above as a base defense? A simple animation would be fine, and wouldn't need water flow dynamics.

The acid could even affect different zombies differently.. it could slow them down in a pool trap, and do damage to them as they traverse it.

Are vehicle mods coming in this alpha?

no not yet

- - - Updated - - -

I think you will like 18, the pois are so much better now, and yes the unexpected is what makes a game fun, when it feels like you have no idea what the enemy might do and the possibilities "feel" high its an amazing time.

:D....

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe add acid pool traps that need to be refilled after so many "hits"? or acid traps that can be triggered to dump acid on zombies from above as a base defense? A simple animation would be fine, and wouldn't need water flow dynamics.

The acid could even affect different zombies differently.. it could slow them down in a pool trap, and do damage to them as they traverse it.

maybe like a shower

Hey, once the game gets professional quality voice actors, followers and AAA quality armor and clothing, will you let US know?

2015-08-21-1440138242-5865807-bazingasheldon-thumb.jpg

But I actually know your name. I know like 3 or 4 guys on the whole forum by name and your change would be stupid and ruin the experience for me.

Alright, that's fine. (: I'll just change my name on the Discord forums and such then. I used to have another account on here that had Sage at the forefront, but I lost the password for it, so I was just wondering... Again, no worries! (:

Yes you did in A16 when i first played the game i use an Xbox One controller and you would click down the left thumbstick while moving forward and you would start to run. now in A17 you have to press it down while pushing forward. it went from toggle to press and hold. please restore for A18

PC never supported it with a keyboard and mouse setup is what I am saying. Maybe you can get Alloc to fix it but it should be added to PC keyboard.

PC never supported it with a keyboard and mouse setup is what I am saying. Maybe you can get Alloc to fix it but it should be added to PC keyboard.

U can map in the steam controller setting which is what I have done. its kinda wonky though but it works. I just though it was one of the 1's or 0's that got out of whack going from A16 to A17. if you get it fixed AWESOME if not I'll have to make do with my wonky set up.

Easy.. I'll explain it again, though I just explained it to Guppy a page or so back.

I'm playing on a couch 10 feet or so away from a 75" 4k hdtv using our home theater system. Keyboards do not have 10 foot long cords, and wireless keyboards start dropping signal about 6 feet away from a pc.

Game controllers however don't have that limitation. I can play skyrim, fortnite, no manys sky, empyrion, and even diablo 3 using a controller with zero issues. I can;t use a keyboard because there is no table in front of me, and the keyboard drops keypresses or mouse commands because of the distance.

A lot of console players also have gaming pcs like we do, and use their controllers on the pc as a result. I used a kb/mouse for 15-25 years, and my pc gaming goes back to an atari 400 in 1982.

Using a kb/mouse is simply not practical couch playing, and more and more people own both consoles and gaming ocs for gameplay.

For reference, I've probably made about 50 corrections to the post either because of a typo, or the keyboard dropping a letter or space while typing. I've tried several wireless keyboards over the years, and they all have the same problem... reliable range after 6 feet or so.

Does it make sense NOW why I use a controller in 7 days? Because other than sitting 4 feet from a 75 inch tv, I can;t play it any other way.

(My wife has a desk and 65" tv, and she usually uses the controller over the kb/mouse as well, even though she has them available.)

Yes "NOW" it makes sense. My last response was not meant to insult you. I litterally could not think of any other reasons why some use a controller for a fps. What I said was in no way a judgemental statement against you or anyone else. I could care less people other people prefer, mouse, controller etc. whatever makes them happy more power to them. I can see why in your case you would, I'd do the same exact thing. I personally would love to use a controller for some games I have, never a fps though as I play very competitively.

Pretty harsh considering Gups made some great strides oin the modding community like making your Blood Moons actually last longer than 5 minutes and added all kinds of vehicles.

But if the pre-requisite for having an opinion on your game is developing a game myself challenge accepted. Me and the 2 fans of my mod will do so and we will see you at an E3 so we can talk.

Is that confirmation that you will actually be GOING to an E3 with 7 Days?

Its not harsh, I did research on the topic and gave him a professional answer then he went full Orsey on us and beat a dead horse to his drum that wasn't even researched at all. If you want to have a conversation with me, at least do your research and not pound your dead horse drum with no logic behind it.

We're getting ready to ship, now is not the time for pie in the sky arguments over a recipe. I am here to answer questions not argue game design philosophies with someone who hasn't even shipped a title. Do you talk to a ditch digger about brain surgery for your tumor? No you go talk to a brain surgeon. I have professional designers I talk to. Having an idea doesn't make you a game designer either.

No offense meant in any of this. Guppy is a great guy and so are you. We've seen zero reports saying "making tires is bs" so why talk about it when I should be fixing bugs and testing. Keep on doing what you guys are doing, but when I give an answer I expect it to be respected otherwise I'll just skim over your posts and you won't exist any more. Its going to get nuts in here soon anyway when this thing drops.

His problem is he thinks problems are solved in black and white. Turn up zombie spawning... no thats irresponsible. Design an event manager so game staged encounters are happening and the player sees all these things going on, but its performant and he can interact with it or run away, either way its over with and doesn't leave the game running poorly. Same with the tire recipe. He'd prefer some workstation added and make some repair process that requires a bunch of bs just to craft a tire? Lets just abstract that the player took scrap polymer (an old tire you can harvest off the road gives it) and some acid and workbench and you managed to hodge podge it together. Its a simple mechanic using a familiar system. You don't invent one off systems for something you do a few times in a 100 hour game.

LOL, good one. May I suggest using sharp hotkeys? I miss those. And more caps. Forums feel unthreatening and empty, back in the day we had lotz of caps and I was thrilled and overwhelmed in a D cup chinese furniture sort of way.

I don't get it. Seriously man, stop all the bs. Make guppy's mod and prove to me with half a million downloads on nexus and I'll have a look at some of your ideas.

A half mil? That's it? Jax, he's all yours buddy.

...look MM, it's your game, you're gonna do what you're gonna do, but clearly for some reason I'm under your skin, and doesn't that say something? That maybe, just maybe, you also agree that the game is a little lacking in the zombie count department? Or that some abstracts are just silly and can be done better?

I mean, I know you would love to have higher counts, but can't because of xyz reasons... and I know that some things are easier just left alone this close to gold... but don't let your hubris of having hit into a successful genre take away from the wondefrul ideas your community has presented to you over the years... I don't mind the insults and bullying, because well, it's the internet and I don't know you so your name calling and insults are humorous to me, but I do kinda mind a game that I love dissolving into lackluster in key areas... I've *always* been supportive of TFP and this game, but I'm not always on board with the choices y'all make.

It's up to you what you do with that.

Archived