Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Wheels are the weirdest thing in the game... There's about a billion of then lying around, that you can't use because they turn to plastic, but you can make one from scratch with plastic, coal and acid? Doesn't make any kind of sense... It's like they forced wheels into a 7day world with no additional items...

A pickup, repair situation would have been much better. Find/craft tire patches, add an air compressor station (be no more useless than a table saw)...

Its an abstract. Ah yes, lets make a huge mini game just to craft a tire and make vehicles complete inaccessible.

I didn’t. I still thrust 90% and throw 10% because that just feels right to me. I don’t care that spamming the throw/retrieval might be more efficient. It seems like casting a magic spell.

It never even occurred to me to use the spear that way until I saw it on Prime’s stream and my reaction was a most definite....WTF.

I tried it and hated it. I love the spear but I use the throw as a finishing move after softening them up with some jabs (which have a nice reach btw). But I’m weird in the sense that it doesn’t bother me that a more efficient way is a way I don’t like to play and I don’t feel compelled to choose efficiency over fun. There are those who will hate it and still play it that way because efficiency is king in their world.

Tldr if you don’t like it don’t do it. I don’t and the game plays great and spears are still one of my favorite additions.

I don't throw that often because of miss factor. When you miss and your spear flies out a window into the grass in the field outside you regret throwing it.

I doubt the saw is in a18 with the new shape menu thingie, but it's not even so much that I expect tires to be functional if found, it's more that the recipe is REALLY weird, and could be better.

...no one finds it odd that the biggest hold up go getting vehicles is acid for wheels?

Tires are made using acid and polymers IRL though. Do you not do any research and just start posting gibberish? Maybe do some research next time dude, I did mine.

I'm going to disagree. The old way was a little more "zombie movie lore correct" but bad for performance and game play. Clear the city and have free reign with all the loot in every house? Bad for game play. Ideally we get a few more guys wandering the streets in addition to sleepers. I have to kill 500 zombies now to clear a town, the old way was 20. How was that any good? You guys literally are clinging to probably "first time memories" when you were a noob and those 20 guys felt like 200 and you were scared. Now you are a veteran and nothing short of 200 actual zombies outside will bring back that "feeling". I emplore you to load up alpha 12 or so, and tell me how great it really IS, not how great it WAS. Memories and feelings are deceptive.

Pois were shells of boring repetiveness, once you cleared the 20 zeds in the streets the entire town was yours, for 4 days until they respawned. Zero danger inside a house unless you missed someone outdoors who wandered in.

At the time the OP was describing, the central city had zero respawn time. The zeds couldn't be cleared - ever - and it was purely an exercise in getting in, getting as much as you could before you attracted too much attention, and getting out again without getting overwhelmed. Gunfire was guaranteed to bring every Z in a three block radius toward you. It was difficult. It was scary. And it was fabulous. Only Tier 5 quests come close to recapturing that feeling in the current game, but there are only a few of those. They get old after a while. The central city could be anything RNG gave you.

I don't throw that often because of miss factor. When you miss and your spear flies out a window into the grass in the field outside you regret throwing it.

i have idea maybe for later alphas

maybe when you throw the spear (like say that poor window) when it lands there is a bright color cloth (Like purple , bright yellow) on the back of the spear so if you look for it i would stick out like a sore thumb.

Aaaand a second answer probably: A city roaming with zombies would be "clashing" with the quest system, at least for beginners playing vanilla early game.

So I think the solution (for vanilla without encounter system) should be that lots of zombies in the streets should be confined to wasteland cities

And the encounter system is really a solution to performance problems, think about it:

2) You might enter a wasteland city without a hitch three times in a row but on the fourth time you round a corner and all hell breaks loose with a momentary zombie horde surrounding you. Like many of you have been saying (about the inside of POIs), a constant density of zombies is boring in the long run, spikes of danger when you least expect it is soo much better.

2) The server can create big groups of zombies for each player and still keep the workload constant at all times. Because the server can just refrain from starting more encounters until previous running encounters are finished. Load-balancing by focusing on a small subset of players and switching focus randomly around.

About time someone gets it. Everyone else is in 3 year old tantrum mode and not realizing the whole thing is a fake simulation anyway. There is a performant responsible way to do it and a bad way to do it. We can have 64 zombies in the world and 3 in your face, and the rest hiding/hunting/roaming... or we can have none in the world and dynamically add stuff near players so joe has 10 guys chasing him, bob has a mini horde of 20, and fred has a wandering trader, and Snowdog has a hooker horde.

What is out there waiting/lurking like A1 is irrelevant. What threatens you right here and now is all that matters. It will feel like there are more zombies than there ever where. We plan options so you can add more or less dynamic encounters. They can be game staged etc so its actually a challenge.

About time someone gets it. Everyone else is in 3 year old tantrum mode and not realizing the whole thing is a fake simulation anyway. There is a performant responsible way to do it and a bad way to do it. We can have 64 zombies in the world and 3 in your face, and the rest hiding/hunting/roaming... or we can have none in the world and dynamically add stuff near players so joe has 10 guys chasing him, bob has a mini horde of 20, and fred has a wandering trader, and Snowdog has a hooker horde.

What is out there waiting/lurking like A1 is irrelevant. What threatens you right here and now is all that matters. It will feel like there are more zombies than there ever where. We plan options so you can add more or less dynamic encounters. They can be game staged etc so its actually a challenge.

This sounds amazing, especially the hooker part :)

Seriously tho, it does sound great, when would we expect this? Gold? Next alpha?

Tires are made using acid and polymers IRL though. Do you not do any research and just start posting gibberish? Maybe do some research next time dude, I did mine.

Oh? They're made in real life on a bench with some flasks? Come on, either you go with "realism" or you don't, cherry picking to suit your argument is weak.

if it helps.

I'm just saying you have all of those tires (better, Joe?) sitting around and they're pretty much really just piles of plastic.

You could *easily*, and using current systems without having it be a mini game, be made sensible.

It's just weird, abstract or not.

But that's the huge part you're missing... zombies are not a threat, because you've got them all cooped up inside... it's a big world, and there are *plenty* of ways to get the same loot, without ever having to visit a poi. But, you don't play that way, so it must not be valid, right?

But that's the huge part you're missing... zombies are not a threat, because you've got them all cooped up inside... it's a big world, and there are *plenty* of ways to get the same loot, without ever having to visit a poi. But, you don't play that way, so it must not be valid, right?

how much time you have in a18... because mine are a threat now. :) <picks wolf teeth and zombie fingers out of back side>

a17 they arent a threat agreed :)

how much time you have in a18... because mine are a threat now. :) <picks wolf teeth and zombie fingers out of back side>

No offense but almost every single one of you QA testers are not the greatest skilled players lol... I have never watched you play so this is does not apply to you but I have watched the others play and they SUCK at the game. Normally I would never make such a statement but this one time I had to sorry. The other testers really do not know how to play this game, there gameplay footage is proof of that lol. Sorry Twigg, Dollie, etc. ;)

As I say. Always be direct, honest and firm while be respectful. Hopefully I did all 4 of those things with this statement.

Archived