Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

How much long term play time do you actually get? I mean when testing, you have to restart over and over again to check off that "new save" checkbox, right?

How much legit play time are you getting per alpha? Just curious.

We haven't broken a save in 3-4 months that I'm aware of. Joe's level 60 something in about an 80 hour game right now.

unless there is a way to stop my dumb ass from walking in to my own spikes I'll keep dieing by "bad deaths" lol

Those are good deaths. Bad deaths are getting ninja bleed stun from stealth dogs, respawn killed 20 times by a horde in your bedroom, ♥♥♥♥ting your pants to death because of a dysentery bug, etc.

We've never supported a run toggle afaik.

Yes you did in A16 when i first played the game i use an Xbox One controller and you would click down the left thumbstick while moving forward and you would start to run. now in A17 you have to press it down while pushing forward. it went from toggle to press and hold. please restore for A18

I don't really. I hate having to watch every little step I take because of land mines.

EDIT: note that I do not really use roads as this would expose me to others players and I do not want my record of never having been killed by another. I'd hate for that record to be broken by good sniper that shoots my ass while im running or driving on the road.

So since I do not use roads...the land mines generally keep me out of the wasteland. If the watseland was actually a challenge I would go there a lot though. Figured I would add this since someone is going to be like "why don't you just stay on the roads". Then I would have to be like because strategicaly its stupid to be on the roads thats why...then a huge debate would start.

There is a perk you can walk right over them at highest rank.

hi mm. it was definitely in a16. wasn't in a15, but was a great relief to have in a16 and a disappointment not to have in a17 especially with that damned bike. ive stopped using vehicles mostly because of this.

would greatly appreciate it if it could go in. pretty please with sugar on top.

No it was never in the game. How do you even run anywhere then before you get a vehicle? You've always had to hold shift.

I'd like to see it someday, but its not happening now in content lock.

damn wish I knew that when I played on ps4.

Yes people who use controllers really do need that auto-run feature. Although I have no idea in the world why someone would choose a controller over a mouse and keyboard, makes no sense. Unless you have carpal tunnel syndrome. none the less those who do choose to play that way, need auto run.

Easy.. I'll explain it again, though I just explained it to Guppy a page or so back.

I'm playing on a couch 10 feet or so away from a 75" 4k hdtv using our home theater system. Keyboards do not have 10 foot long cords, and wireless keyboards start dropping signal about 6 feet away from a pc.

Game controllers however don't have that limitation. I can play skyrim, fortnite, no manys sky, empyrion, and even diablo 3 using a controller with zero issues. I can;t use a keyboard because there is no table in front of me, and the keyboard drops keypresses or mouse commands because of the distance.

A lot of console players also have gaming pcs like we do, and use their controllers on the pc as a result. I used a kb/mouse for 15-25 years, and my pc gaming goes back to an atari 400 in 1982.

Using a kb/mouse is simply not practical couch playing, and more and more people own both consoles and gaming ocs for gameplay.

For reference, I've probably made about 50 corrections to the post either because of a typo, or the keyboard dropping a letter or space while typing. I've tried several wireless keyboards over the years, and they all have the same problem... reliable range after 6 feet or so.

Does it make sense NOW why I use a controller in 7 days? Because other than sitting 4 feet from a 75 inch tv, I can;t play it any other way.

(My wife has a desk and 65" tv, and she usually uses the controller over the kb/mouse as well, even though she has them available.)

I actually don't know how TFP have done it for so long. I've been working full time on a single project for 3 years and so I'm tired of working on it, I cringe every time I turn on my monitor at work.

I can't imagine any of them having fun playing their game. It wouldn't surprise me if few of them play legit, full games at all. Building something and having it working after working out tons of bugs only to scrap it all and do it again several times makes it all even worse... and we all know that has happened throughout the alphas.

I am very surprised that they don't have (or haven't had) a couple other projects going on to prevent themselves from getting sick mentally.

I could say that about alpha 13 to 17, but 18 is legit the game I've been wanting to make all these years, minus bandits, gold polish, etc. The core experience is amazing and it has that replay ability that Skyrim and Fallout have now regarding a new character build and a whole new feeling with each build, strengths, weaknesses. I'm barely playing any Skyrim now mostly play 7 days at night in my free time.

I'm not talking to peasants any more about design. Ship some titles and we can talk shop at E3.

Pretty harsh considering Gups made some great strides oin the modding community like making your Blood Moons actually last longer than 5 minutes and added all kinds of vehicles.

But if the pre-requisite for having an opinion on your game is developing a game myself challenge accepted. Me and the 2 fans of my mod will do so and we will see you at an E3 so we can talk.

Is that confirmation that you will actually be GOING to an E3 with 7 Days?

Hell yeaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!! Wasteland here I come. finally! You have no idea how great this is, I have always hated those stupid things from day 1 when they were put in the game way back around A13 or 14. I remember once when they were in every biome for a short time...or maybe just talked about...i forget.

Talking about traps, have you considered a deployable trap that you can use to slow down enemies while running from them, like i go into a house and several zombies fall on me, once of them is a radiated feral, so you run to deal with the fast chasers first, you want to get enough distance to be able to aim to the head (preferably before covering the distance between alaska and brasil) but that thing is fast you are only left with 2 choices deal with it close and personal with a crappy low damage shotgun (lets face it...it tickles) or burst it to hell and beyond with ak47/smg5, both solve your issue in 2 diferent styles but i am missing the 3rd option: you click the hotkey where you placed your trap it falls just behind you and as soon as it hits the floor its already set up and activates when the target steps on it immobilizing it for 1-2 seconds buying you time for a headshot.

There are books that give you leg cripple ability now, I don't know how well they work but it might be what you are looking for. You can place spikes pretty fast if they are on your belt already. It would be nice to have something to slow them down you could spam quickly.

200.gif

ill take them all

Hell yeaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!! Wasteland here I come. finally! You have no idea how great this is, I have always hated those stupid things from day 1 when they were put in the game way back around A13 or 14. I remember once when they were in every biome for a short time, my god lol.

now i can live in the wasteland

@MM about javelin throw, I have another idea. What if throwing a spear is replaced by repelling a zombie with a spear flat if the zombies are too close to the player? Stamina costs remain the same, but the result can be just super.

There really is one drawback: if you do so, players will want a push-away mechanic for the rest of the long weapons, such as a hunting rifle, a shotgun, a sniper rifle, a machine gun, and more ...

This horse is not dead, otherwise Roland would not kick her =)

We're happy with the spear, so take your suggestions to the mod forum if you don't like it.

Archived