New world gen in A17 B233 is horrible

nofunbeingadmin

There is still enough to worry.

Biomes got removed Plains and also Forrest cause someone thought its useless, it was not .

If it comes to Ressources or Corn or something else, fine 1 Biome would be enough. Water from Lakes, everything else from loot. Why need more then 1 Biome?

Guess some are not reading or listening to the videos when they get made. Why is it several people feel like the only reason they got rid of those biomes is because they thought they was useless? Yes some felt they was useless but that wasn't and isn't the only reason they took out those and made them the way they are. But I see so many people only expressing themselves talking about they took them put because they was useless but leave out the rest of the reasons given to why they took them out.

I was happy to see the old terrain back. Those steep inclines make it so much more interesting. I was glad to see more wasteland, although my first gen attempt resulted in way too much of it and I spawned there. I like a challenge, but after walking about 10 minutes and not seeing a way out of it, and then hearing a pack of dogs, I just quit. I wasn't about to deal with that. Second gen that I am playing now is good though.

I agree that the idea of snow north, desert south, forest in between was not so good. I much prefer this unpredictability and opportunity for discovery. Obviously they need to work on making sure the biome sizes are reasonable and mesh together nicely and provide reasonable paths for vehicles... but they also discussed that they are working on it after the other major bugs affecting gameplay are ironed out. Several times they have said this now. For now, I am glad they patched this change in for us. That same old 3 band map since the start of A17e was getting old real fast.

We had a good RWG in Alpha 16. We had a good amount of different Biomes, big cities often close together with skycrapers which made the world feel realistic and made looting fun. Basebuilding was fun top and bottom, Looting was fun because, Zombie were dumb but hey they are zombies, right? And a citybuilding whas actually a citybuilding. What do we have now instead? Every house turned in a fu...ing dungeon, books are gone, large cities gone, biomes gone, skycrapers gone. A ton of items and recipes gone and I could go on. And people still defend this bullcrap of developement. Alpha 17 is no progress it is a step back in every direction. And I mean in every direction. They sacrifise items and biomes and recipes and books and all that good stuff just to make the game running at this new engine not like a turtle and sell it as new design. And people still buying this nonesense. They have massive performance issues. Thats the reason TFP cuts off so many things. They may be able to bring stuff back with time but personally I feel it Alpha 17 was not worth the wait.

We had a good RWG in Alpha 16. We had a good amount of different Biomes, big cities often close together with skycrapers which made the world feel realistic and made looting fun. Basebuilding was fun top and bottom, Looting was fun because, Zombie were dumb but hey they are zombies, right? And a citybuilding whas actually a citybuilding. What do we have now instead? Every house turned in a fu...ing dungeon, books are gone, large cities gone, biomes gone, skycrapers gone. A ton of items and recipes gone and I could go on. And people still defend this bullcrap of developement. Alpha 17 is no progress it is a step back in every direction. And I mean in every direction. They sacrifise items and biomes and recipes and books and all that good stuff just to make the game running at this new engine not like a turtle and sell it as new design. And people still buying this nonesense. They have massive performance issues. Thats the reason TFP cuts off so many things. They may be able to bring stuff back with time but personally I feel it Alpha 17 was not worth the wait.

Agreed on all points. And would add that not only are they randomly changing up all the mechanics and recipes almost daily, they're not even telling us about the changes in documentation and tooltips. We're left to discover all the broken new changes and then relearn all the mechanics and recipes that we've had for years, and then whoever rushed the ignorant changes in and broken everything releases a "fix" which just breaks things in a different way. 100% amateur devs. Joel should have stuck with flipping houses imo.

Random Biomes MUCH better than the static crap they had.

As broken as floating POIs, blurred graphics (no matter what graphic settings I did backpacks, bedrolls, pallets, bushes, weapons I held, all blurry?), falling buildings, I still agree that random biomes are wayyyyyy better than static N=snow S=desert.

It's not too good this time around. I've deleted the old games and started anew, but I've seen POIs with 2-block wide chasms down to bedrock surrounding them, road/hill smashups that look post-earthquake. the POIs have deep carve-outs (presumably to help mitigate floating buildings). I was freezing standing next to the loading dock of one building (I had Santa hat, poncho, 1 level of Insulated), and when I went to the other side of the dock I was overheating.

I'd just upped the difficulty and turned on Jog daytime. Snow as far as I could see. I never even made it to the trader. The 4th vulture was too much (they always seem to steal a bit of health before I can kill them). My melee timing was WAY off with jog, and the lumberjacks have that sneaky reach attack, and now they were ~just~ a little quicker. I left the difficulty up, but turned jog back off. Freezing, starvation, infection. The need to take a perk that I ~didn't~ want, but had to almost every time I leveled........LOVIN' it!....(not the RWG stuff...don't like that).

-Morloc

A17 isnt out yet. Dont opt in if you dont like testing new stuff while they work on it.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?100647-Alpha-17-Experimental-B233-bug-reporting-thread&p=907900&viewfull=1#post907900

Biomes now generated by xml settings again

What this means?: like in A16 the RWG Biome mix can be adjusted.

Just as in A16 using this, it is possible to create north/south, circular biome, and other biome distributions.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?74084-Developer-Discussions-Alpha-17&p=908665&viewfull=1#post908665

To those going on about RWG right now, have patience. I work on gameplay systems too so I can't just spend hours upon hours on RWG right now. It's functional, the biome generator is running from xml again, now I need the time to clean it up. It's not a matter of not knowing what to do or what would look best. It never is. It's a matter of having the time to do it.

With the way RWG was created this release I'll be able to work on it without breaking worlds that players already have. With that though do realize, if there is a crafting bug, I have to work on it, not RWG. If there is a problem with buffs or effects or animations or progression, I have to work on those, not RWG. See where I'm going here? My time is at a premium and RWG will get it's love, just not right at this exact moment. There are bigger fish to fry than tweaking RWG to "perfection" right now.

When it comes to RWG, have faith. I have things in the fire, I just don't have time to finish them up prior to the holidays so I put in what I had ready to go and put the biome stuff back to the old a16 version until I get the new cellular automata (self sorting) biome code in place. Then snow and desert will never touch

and it's output looks very similar to that blobby image above that someone posted (already tested in a test project).

As Kinyajuu states here, cellular automata is on the roadmap. Re-implementing the A16 biome distribution was a way to allow customization while the work is in progress.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?100647-Alpha-17-Experimental-B233-bug-reporting-thread&p=907900&viewfull=1#post907900

What this means?: like in A16 the RWG Biome mix can be adjusted.

Just as in A16 using this, it is possible to create north/south, circular biome, and other biome distributions.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?74084-Developer-Discussions-Alpha-17&p=908665&viewfull=1#post908665

As Kinyajuu states here, cellular automata is on the roadmap. Re-implementing the A16 biome distribution was a way to allow customization while the work is in progress.

Do you think it's possible to alter the xml to produce similar maps to what we had?

Do you think it's possible to alter the xml to produce similar maps to what we had?

You mean north snow, south desert.

I've not played with modifying RWG enough to know for certain how closely they could end up resembling the earlier A17 builds, but I believe so. Folks more knowledgeable about A16 RWG would have to answer for certain.

It should definitely be possible to make the old ring of biomes maps (like a snow in the middle moving to forest further out, moving to burnt even further, then moving to desert).

changing it back to a16 map is the best thing TFP could have done. The cookie cutterness of the previous maps in a17e was ridiculous. If you want cookie cutter, play Navesgane not RWG. Now to see them fix the maps so they can be made larger for the Dedi servers and make them STABLE. The flat earth maps, no rivers, no valleys, mountains came back but they are on the edge of the map and the edge of the map is all radiation for some stupid reason.

You mean north snow, south desert.

I've not played with modifying RWG enough to know for certain how closely they could end up resembling the earlier A17 builds, but I believe so. Folks more knowledgeable about A16 RWG would have to answer for certain.

It should definitely be possible to make the old ring of biomes maps (like a snow in the middle moving to forest further out, moving to burnt even further, then moving to desert).

Not just that, the worlds were flatter, and the roads worked better too, towns were better etc - started a new world with b233 to see what it was like and I didn't like it much compared to the old one.

I agree, the new RWG isn't great - I definitely prefered the way it was in the previous build of experimental - luckily I still have a world saved from it!

A17.0_2018-12-20_11-31-54.jpg

<biome_generator name="vanillaSmall">
   <!--<module name="voronoi" type="Voronoi">-->
       <!--<property name="frequency" value="0.0012"/>--> 
       <!--<property name="frequency" value="0.00128"/> 
       <property name="displacement" value="0.5"/>
   </module>-->        
   <module name="bands" type="Cylinders">
       <property name="frequency" value="0.00112"/>
   </module>
   <module name="rotate" type="RotateInput">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="bands"/>
       <property name="xAngle" value="0"/>
       <property name="zAngle" value="1"/>
   </module>
   <module name="trans" type="TranslateInput">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="rotate"/>
       <property name="z" value="1024"/>
       <property name="x" value="1024"/>
   </module>
   <module name="biasOutput" type="BiasOutput">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="trans"/>
       <property name="bias" value="0.5"/>
   </module>
   <module name="scaleOutput" type="ScaleOutput">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="biasOutput"/>
       <property name="scale" value="1"/>
   </module>
   <module name="dithering" type="FastTurbulence">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="scaleOutput"/>
       <property name="frequency" value="0.35"/>
       <property name="power" value="80"/>
       <property name="roughness" value="3"/>
   </module>
   <module name="jiggle" type="FastTurbulence">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="dithering"/>
       <property name="frequency" value="0.25"/>
       <property name="power" value="30"/>
   </module>
   <module name="clampOutput" type="ClampOutput">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="jiggle"/>
       <property name="bounds" value="0,1"/>
   </module>
<module name="biomeOutput" type="BiomeIDMapper">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="clampOutput"/>
       <property name="biomemap0.Name" value="pine_forest"/>
       <property name="biomemap0.Range" value="0.2,0.4"/>
       <property name="biomemap1.Name" value="snow"/>
       <property name="biomemap1.Range" value="0,0.2"/>
       <property name="biomemap2.Name" value="wasteland"/>
       <property name="biomemap2.Range" value="0.4,0.6"/>
       <property name="biomemap3.Name" value="burnt_forest"/>
       <property name="biomemap3.Range" value="0.6,0.8"/>
       <property name="biomemap4.Name" value="desert"/>
       <property name="biomemap4.Range" value="0.8,1.1"/>
   </module>

<output module="biomeOutput"/>

Not totally back to the earlier version of the biomes but it's getting there.

I just did this as a test and probably won't release a final version since everything is still changing, but for those that want a starting point to mess around with, look in the spoiler.

*Note* this is set for a 4k world not an 8k, you would need to adjust accordingly to make it work for a world 4times as big.

I just did this as a test and probably won't release a final version since everything is still changing, but for those that want a starting point to mess around with, look in the spoiler.

*Note* this is set for a 4k world not an 8k, you would need to adjust accordingly to make it work for a world 4times as big.

Now this is the guy to ask what is and is not possible for RWG modding. Although that was East/West instead of North/South it pretty much answered is it theoretically possible: yes.

A17 isnt out yet. Dont opt in if you dont like testing new stuff while they work on it.

I do like testing out new stuff. But like I said, things aren´t really going forward here. And thats the point of my entire post. And while I understand that some people like you may feel offended by what I wrote, I still hold on to my opinion. As long as TFP is selling dead horses to their customers, I will be here and express how I feel about that.

Amazing work Tin, thank you for posting the code.

Am adapting for 8k world.

A17.0_2018-12-20_11-31-54.jpg

<biome_generator name="vanillaSmall">
   <!--<module name="voronoi" type="Voronoi">-->
       <!--<property name="frequency" value="0.0012"/>--> 
       <!--<property name="frequency" value="0.00128"/> 
       <property name="displacement" value="0.5"/>
   </module>-->        
   <module name="bands" type="Cylinders">
       <property name="frequency" value="0.00112"/>
   </module>
   <module name="rotate" type="RotateInput">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="bands"/>
       <property name="xAngle" value="0"/>
       <property name="zAngle" value="1"/>
   </module>
   <module name="trans" type="TranslateInput">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="rotate"/>
       <property name="z" value="1024"/>
       <property name="x" value="1024"/>
   </module>
   <module name="biasOutput" type="BiasOutput">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="trans"/>
       <property name="bias" value="0.5"/>
   </module>
   <module name="scaleOutput" type="ScaleOutput">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="biasOutput"/>
       <property name="scale" value="1"/>
   </module>
   <module name="dithering" type="FastTurbulence">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="scaleOutput"/>
       <property name="frequency" value="0.35"/>
       <property name="power" value="80"/>
   </module>
   <module name="jiggle" type="FastTurbulence">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="dithering"/>
       <property name="frequency" value="0.25"/>
       <property name="power" value="30"/>
   </module>
   <module name="clampOutput" type="ClampOutput">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="jiggle"/>
       <property name="bounds" value="0,1"/>
   </module>
<module name="biomeOutput" type="BiomeIDMapper">
       <property name="sourceModule" value="clampOutput"/>
       <property name="biomemap0.Name" value="pine_forest"/>
       <property name="biomemap0.Range" value="0.2,0.4"/>
       <property name="biomemap1.Name" value="snow"/>
       <property name="biomemap1.Range" value="0,0.2"/>
       <property name="biomemap2.Name" value="wasteland"/>
       <property name="biomemap2.Range" value="0.4,0.6"/>
       <property name="biomemap3.Name" value="burnt_forest"/>
       <property name="biomemap3.Range" value="0.6,0.8"/>
       <property name="biomemap4.Name" value="desert"/>
       <property name="biomemap4.Range" value="0.8,1.1"/>
   </module>

<output module="biomeOutput"/>

Wow that's really cool, now to work out how to change it for north south instead.

Amazing work Tin, thank you for posting the code.

Am adapting for 8k world.

Would like to see the 8k code too!

- - - Updated - - -

Although I bet after figuring out how to mod it, the devs put it back to how it was anyway lol

@icehot, when i ran it desert in SE corner and very small amount of snow in the north, was easy to get 8k going, just cut and past the 4k code into the 8k area of the rwgmixer.xml

generated map looks really good lots towns

@icehot, when i ran it desert in SE corner and very small amount of snow in the north, was easy to get 8k going, just cut and past the 4k code into the 8k area of the rwgmixer.xml

generated map looks really good lots towns

Just looking at the XML, the following code suggests they all use vanillasmall anyway to do the biome generation:

<rulesets>

<ruleset name="vanillaSmall" world_size="4096" terrain_generator="vanilla" biome_generator="vanillaSmall">

<cell_rule name="default" prob="1"/>

</ruleset>

<ruleset name="vanillaMedium" world_size="8192" terrain_generator="vanilla" biome_generator="vanillaSmall">

</ruleset>

<ruleset name="vanillaLarge" world_size="16384" terrain_generator="vanilla" biome_generator="vanillaSmall">

</ruleset>

</rulesets>

Archived