How do you like A17 experimental?

Roland

How do you like A17 experimental?  

526 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like A17 experimental?

• It is garbage. I hate everything about it.
    • In general I hate it. The things I do like are overshadowed by the bad.
    • In general I dislike it. It has good aspects but overall it is worse.
    • In general I'm ambivalent. I have mixed feelings or am still unsure.
    • In general I like it. It has bad aspects but overall it is improved.
    • In general I love it. The things I don't like are overshadowed by the good.
    • It is perfection. I love everything about it.

Alpha 17 thoughts

I've been playing since alpha 6, so understand that everything I have to say below is from an experienced player with over 3400 hours playing.

Early Game:

I made a huge mistake early on and that was try to mine for resources with the rock axe. God that sucked! I will never do that ever again. Best thing I found to do until you get established is to run missions for trader and mine only what you need for arrows and kill kill kill. Its the best way to get the experience you need to level.

Surviving the first Horde night:

Best way I've found is to build a bridge across two buildings or hang out on top of a gas station. Keep moving around and the zombies won't spend too much time destroying the frame of the building and it will last through a couple of horde nights.

Zombies can dig better than an Auger:

I love the fact that you can not survive horde night below ground anymore.

New Skill Tree:

It took a while to get used to but I do like this new skills.

Mods:

This I really like. The ability to mod your guns and tools is awesome. I think there should be more mods added though. Maybe some for the vehicles, one or two for the crossbow.

Mining:

Currently sucks the way it is, too much gravel, not enough resources. If you want to remove the endless mining below ground then make resources more abundant. I do like being able to find all resources (lead, coal, nitrate, and iron) in the same location.

POI's:

It was wicked going into the new POI's, zombies coming from the front, zombies coming from the rear. Definitely have to keep your head on a swivel when tackling them.

Building a Base:

Just forget about building a base before you get Reinforced concrete. The horde night zombies do way too much damage to have a building survive before Reinforced Concrete. Even then its a lot of work the following day fixing all the blocks they destroyed. Wood Spikes are a speed bump, go directly to the iron spike traps, they last a bit but even then the zombies on horde night will destroy a good deal of them.

New Vehicle Physics:

My favorite part of the update. This update for vehicles is outstanding. The only problem with vehicles is when playing with a friend and sharing vehicles. When you place a code into the vehicle so that your friend can use it, even after putting the code in they can not use the storage in the vehicle. The only way around it is to pick up the vehicle, give it to your friend and let him place it in the world. Only then can he use the storage.

All in all a great update, I'm enjoying getting to know the game again.

Mixed feelings. 1st time through was bad/great. Once you figure out the stamina and the new POI's, not so much. 4th play thru, level 38 on day 4.5 (90) min days. Just rushing to the minibike/mining perks so I can build a base. I figure they will balance the xp gain better between zombie hunting or base building, but until then I feel its best to just kill every zombie you see. I still do not like the fact that the easiest way to level my archery/ sneak skills is to run up to zombies and hit them in the face with a club.

With stuff like

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/362736531376439296/520431921222647845/levitation.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/362736531376439296/520432740651499540/90_roads.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/362736531376439296/520431257436291082/street.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/362736531376439296/520430355984154627/water.png

This game is going in reverse, we where promised better random gen and we get near 90 degree roadways hills, parting of the seas via roads water physics, and floating POI's that crumble as soon as a tiny bit of damage occurs to them.

We went from an ok grind to level, to a massive grind slow progress leveling, the removal of the plains biome was a huge loss for many who preferred that biome to build in.

Now the good, love the vehicles, it's a shame on random gen that the vehicles are nearly worthless due to the terrain generation having to many near 90 degree hills. Having sleepers is wonderful if you can stand breaking a closet door to find multiple zombies crammed inside. The new customization stuff like window and door trims is an awesome addition.

More variety in the POI's now is sweet.

In summery the bad outweighs the positive for the people who prefer random gen and unless fixed fast I won't be following this game much longer.

Yeah, but that's kind of part of the problem. You can't really enjoy building to around level 60. But, by that time - you're already starting to become a zombie killing machine and the incentive to build is less than it should be. I've got lots of concrete and steel cooked up and in a box - but haven't had much desire to do any building like I normally would by now. I'm still at the same little horde base I threw together on day 14 - just with steel upgrades thrown on it now.

That goes with the balance and progression issue I have. There is too much emphasis on being a strong combat character before building even truly begins.

We need a more spread out age-system in this game. Wood should be viable for a while, stone should be viable for a while, concrete should be viable for a while, and then steel at the end.

The zombies we get at early game stage should have a harder time breaking wood than the later game stages where they could then chew threw it like paper and you better have stone, etc. This would greatly lengthen the progression curve and make building with different materials and advancing through tech levels more logical and fun. (in my opinion).

I like the new perk system, but it has some problems. As you and other guys are saying, it's not fun for builders (like me). I think the biggest problem lies in the fact devs were saying we could play different ways so specialization would be a thing. That's not true at all.

I find the simple 24-hour period takes X realtime hours and Y hours of daylight is rather limiting. I'd love to be able to provide long days on my server with reasonable nights,

What is a reasonable night? There is nothing limiting as far as I can see, with X and Y you can set arbitrary day and night durations

With stuff like

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/362736531376439296/520431921222647845/levitation.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/362736531376439296/520432740651499540/90_roads.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/362736531376439296/520431257436291082/street.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/362736531376439296/520430355984154627/water.png

This game is going in reverse, we where promised better random gen and we get near 90 degree roadways hills, parting of the seas via roads water physics, and floating POI's that crumble as soon as a tiny bit of damage occurs to them.

We went from an ok grind to level, to a massive grind slow progress leveling, the removal of the plains biome was a huge loss for many who preferred that biome to build in.

Now the good, love the vehicles, it's a shame on random gen that the vehicles are nearly worthless due to the terrain generation having to many near 90 degree hills. Having sleepers is wonderful if you can stand breaking a closet door to find multiple zombies crammed inside. The new customization stuff like window and door trims is an awesome addition.

In summery the bad outweighs the positive for the people who prefer random gen and unless fixed fast I won't be following this game much longer.

Two words - experimental build. The RWG system was totally redone to allow the pregeneration system and it is released to us now in an UNFINISHED state. The game is not "going backwards". We are seeing the behind the scenes of the game taking a massive leap forward.

Yes vehicles have problems with the terrain - see above^^^

Two words - experimental build. The RWG system was totally redone to allow the pregeneration system and it is released to us now in an UNFINISHED state. The game is not "going backwards". We are seeing the behind the scenes of the game taking a massive leap forward.

Yes vehicles have problems with the terrain - see above^^^

Third word - Experimental build experiences.

This topic is about experimental experience, not what stable will become.

With stuff like

I hope that you posted in the bug report thread with seed and location info for them to look at and fix the problems.

Third word - Experimental build experiences.

This topic is about experimental experience, not what stable will become.

Yes but when he says "We were promised better random gen and we get...." and then "...unless fixed fast I won't be following this game much longer" these types of phrases make it seem like he doesn't get that what we have now is not the finished A17 update. It's not that he isn't sharing important information-- he is and he really needs to share it in the bug reporting thread in point of fact. It is that he is (by his words) treating A17-experimental as the intended final product that is the TFP's best offering for their promises and that they need to rectify their betrayal fast.

That you are defending this attitude makes me think that you probably also don't understand that we are playing the same unfinished test builds the devs have been updating for the past year and that the internal testing team has been and continues to go over and that the true A17 isn't released yet. There is a reason what we have is not an automatic public update but is instead something that must be opted into. As in you voluntarily choose to play it even though it isn't ready yet and still has major problems.

The expectation is that you will find bugs and issues and unintended results and report and discuss those things but in an attitude to help and to improve and not one of entitlement (They promised me A B C and they didn't deliver!!!!) and demands (Fix it now or I'll pointlessly uninstall this nonsubscription game!!!!).

So here's for you and that guy and anyone else who didn't understand what a test build is or what "unfinished WIP" means. Please DO give both positive and negative feedback but don't act like the baby's been born yet. Waters broken but we have a few weeks of labor (at least) ahead of us still.

Oh....I almost forgot....Please, do feel welcome on the forums. :)

(It's not you personally I'm against at all...just incorrect conclusions about A17e. I can't in good conscience leave those unanswered)

I've selected the I love it, but..

Just an idea - would changing the attributes (the 5 we have) to "learn by doing" and then gating perks based on progress of those attributes (let say 1-300 as that's a new lol cap) would not nicely bridge "the old" with the new?

Don't get me wrong I do like new more RPG centric perk tree but I also do miss certain aspects of "learn by doing" - personally I think having let say, separate skill progression for each of the guns in a16.4 an overkill, but if You merged lvl gains of all weapons under let say perception attribute and that in turn gated the perks?

Do something similar with other in game actions for other attributes.

Just an idea...

Sensei

I would just like to say i Love A17 so far. I've been playing 7 days since i don't even know which alpha. I should have and would like to contribute more to the community. I think most people don't like it because of change. i admit, i got frustrated when i first started A17. I had to completly change my strategy. no more aiming higher than their heads with melee weapons etc. but I love how more of the game is being required to learn. before i just made a grill and grilled meat. ate once a day, no need for recipes.i made bacon and egss for the first time in A17 and have utilized cooking far more than i did before. I feel now i'm taking everything when i scavenge. everything is useful. i keep those bones from hunts for glue and or duct tape. i keep scrap polymers which before were rubbish. Before once i got to a certain point. i didnt need to scavenge. i was self reliant. I feel this version brings more of the survival factor into it. no one will reads this rant. but i salute the fun pimps. with A17 I cant wait what you have in the future. Bring back zombie looting though. EDIT : i agree with the dude above me though. the hot/cold is mangled. i wont even go to the desert . EDIT: Now that i think about it i do have a few problems. Lights not working on vehicles. I thought the bicycle would be early game transportation. why do i have to wait until level 20. why cant i go to a school and find a bike. if i dont have to run to get athletic levels anymore .bikes should be available immediatly . I also found the levelling to be off. dont get me wrong i like being able to level up quickly and gain access to new things but i gain access to those things. cant make my own ammo and when i go into a building i'm instantly attacked by ferals. the level of zombie that spawns seems far more advanced to where my character is.

Yes but when he says "We were promised better random gen and we get...." and then "...unless fixed fast I won't be following this game much longer" these types of phrases make it seem like he doesn't get that what we have now is not the finished A17 update. It's not that he isn't sharing important information-- he is and he really needs to share it in the bug reporting thread in point of fact. It is that he is (by his words) treating A17-experimental as the intended final product that is the TFP's best offering for their promises and that they need to rectify their betrayal fast.

That you are defending this attitude makes me think that you probably also don't understand that we are playing the same unfinished test builds the devs have been updating for the past year and that the internal testing team has been and continues to go over and that the true A17 isn't released yet. There is a reason what we have is not an automatic public update but is instead something that must be opted into. As in you voluntarily choose to play it even though it isn't ready yet and still has major problems.

The expectation is that you will find bugs and issues and unintended results and report and discuss those things but in an attitude to help and to improve and not one of entitlement (They promised me A B C and they didn't deliver!!!!) and demands (Fix it now or I'll pointlessly uninstall this nonsubscription game!!!!).

So here's for you and that guy and anyone else who didn't understand what a test build is or what "unfinished WIP" means. Please DO give both positive and negative feedback but don't act like the baby's been born yet. Waters broken but we have a few weeks of labor (at least) ahead of us still.

Oh....I almost forgot....Please, do feel welcome on the forums. :)

(It's not you personally I'm against at all...just incorrect conclusions about A17e. I can't in good conscience leave those unanswered)

Topic of this thread is "Which of the following best describes your feeling about A17e?".

Emphasis on feeling.

If someone feels the game is going in reverse , then that is what they feel. If they find it

to different from what they like, i guess uninstalling is just as fair a reaction.

If it is good to base that feeling on experimental builds, no. We do however know that A17e is close

to the developers vision of the complete game. At least closer then previous alphas.

And this thread/poll is about A17e, not what it will become. Though, i guess the one who started it knows

best what it is about.:distrust:

While I do love some of the changes to A17 like the POIs and the new vehicles I think this build is entirely let down but removing all of the learn by doing system and loot changes. I think returning skill books to the game AND being able to just learn it by putting a point into grease monkey would be a good bridge between both systems as it rewards exploration and you can also get it if screwed by RNG.

I heavily miss the old quality system as it brought a massive change in loot diversity and I loved slowly upgrading each gun and loved the feeling of finding a new slightly better barrel and adding it to my gun. The new system just feels weak and with the only changes in quality being how fast it degrades it just dosnt feel rewarding to find a better gun anymore. With this guns also feel too plentiful and i ended up having all but the marksman rifle by the end of the second day and having at least a pistol, ak and hunting rifle on all 3 of my playthroughs.

This build seems confusing to me as they have added in mini dungeons but have removed all diversity in weapons so looting itself just feels less rewarding. These dungeons seem only good for XP grinding atm with a mediocre reward at the end.

Statistics, can say whatever you want lol.

Like or Love: 60%

Dislike: 25%

Undecided: 15%

See the difference? In your post the insinuation is that the ratio is mixed at 30-30-40 with the indifferent people supporting "Dislike".

In my post the ratio is trending positive at 60 - 25 in favor, with another 15% indifferent, whom do not support the loving it or hating it percentages either way.

Conclusion: 6 out of 10 people approve of A17. 2 1/2 out of 10 do not approve of A17. 1 1/2 out of 10 have no opinion "YET"

We will see if this is too hard for the very casual players/kids when A17 goes public.

Over 30K max active players for a while with a slow decent to over 20K after a month or so, would be a huge victory for TFP and a validation that this was the way to go.

If its too much less, then some emergency changes need to be made (make difficulty level 2 the default). I don't think this game is now for kids, but we will see soon.

We will see if this is too hard for the very casual players/kids when A17 goes public.

Over 30K max active players for a while with a slow decent to over 20K after a month or so, would be a huge victory for TFP and a validation that this was the way to go.

If its too much less, then some emergency changes need to be made (make difficulty level 2 the default). I don't think this game is now for kids, but we will see soon.

Good way to dismiss and insult casual players. I like to play dead is dead and etc, but I guess I and others got nothing on super-awesome, elite players like you right?

Good way to dismiss and insult casual players. I like to play dead is dead and etc, but I guess I and others got nothing on super-awesome, elite players like you right?

You should relax, breath. No one is shooting at you.

I can't figure how you can reply to what I said like that, unless you meant to reply to someone else.

Eh? How do you arrive at that conclusion? I am playing A17 as much as possible so I can give feedback and report bugs, not because I think it's an improvement on A16. A lot of people think it is important to do this because you cannot fully judge a new alpha without putting a ton of play into it, even if you think you hate it. A17, specifically, has a lot of very serious problems that only become apparent at level 100-ish, or on subsequent play-through beyond the first. I am therefore trying to put in those hours and thus remain part of the 20K. Doesn;t mean I like where the game is going. I don't... it's became casual / dumbed down.

Example problems that we need the 20K to report urgently:

1) Player is totally OP at level 100, regardless of difficulty

2) Replayability took a huge hit because the perk system means I get every item in the game predictably, at a certain level -> looting now pointless, every play-through the same.

etc

Eh? How do you arrive at that conclusion? I am playing A17 as much as possible so I can give feedback and report bugs, not because I think it's an improvement on A16.

A16 peaked at around 32k active player. So, if A17 can do as good or better, I think TFP could reasonably feel that A17 is a pretty successful release.

Everyone knows A17-E has room for improvements, but the people who infer the release is a failure would be incorrect. I'm sure everyone hopes TFP can make game options flexible enough for everyone.

I like the additions. But I dont like where they are taking the game. They seem to be focused on making the combat the important part of the game. I dont like this at all, there are much better zombie combat games. I like to kill zombies, but it was never the main goal of the game. They made fighting yourself and cleearing dungeons the main aspect of this game. I like the new dungeon POIS, but I dislike beeing that and comabt what Im doing all the time.

I want to fight sure, but much less than its needed on a17. The main focus for me in this game was looting, gathering and building defenses. While I had to kill zombies. Not kill zombies 60% of my time.

A16 peaked at around 32k active player. So, if A17 can do as good or better, I think TFP could reasonably feel that A17 is a pretty successful release.

Everyone knows A17-E has room for improvements, but the people who infer the release is a failure would be incorrect. I'm sure everyone hopes TFP can make game options flexible enough for everyone.

Having a high peak doesn't mean anything though. A lot of games have a huge peak in online players when a new release comes out, because for obvious reasons people wanna try it out. It's merely an indicator of how the game is followed, sort of a hype-meter. A much better indicator is to analyze how many of those people are retained and still play after some weeks.

Archived