Can the Fun Pimps confirm if zombie digging will remain in it's present state?

gerg

Hello,

As an underground base builder who enjoys riding out 7 day hordes in an underground base (not all the time) or utilizing underground building on PvP servers, this change feels rather alienating.

I know there are many players who enjoy this kind of play style who feel the same.

If the change is going to be permanent how about giving us a choice to enable digging or not?

I know there are some who simply say deal with it, but I am not really interested in any other kind of game play style and the awesome fortresses that could be built underground was one of the main things that drew me to 7D2D.

Or maybe the sensitivity is a bug not yet confirmed? It seems unintended that zombies can detect you deep underground or even at bedrock level.

I'm all for change and new things but if it is an intended change I don't think it's good to take away an option and pre- existing game style from a player base altogether.

Please give us an option or reconsider.

Cheers.

Edit: I believe I've read that the Fun Pimps aren't really interested in PvP, but remaining hidden on a no rules PvP server was one of the main things that made the game fun. It's no longer possible to remain hidden with zombie pock marks making it obvious were a base is.

It was great to see that they've managed to fix the looking underground hack, but now the digging zombies make things worse.

Thanks again.

They are pretty proud of the development of it. I doubt it's ever getting removed. Tweaked MAYBE.

As for options the only suggestion is learning to mod. I doubt they are going to make an option to turn off digging. It is part of the AI now.

I did read a post saying they were able to stay underground a few nights with no zombies bothering them so it may still be possible.

Only Blood Moon zombies would detect you deep underground. If you turn that off, then what is the fortress protecting you from?

You can just disable zombies and you won't be bothered.

Beyond that, this is experimental and still being developed.

I don't think it's good to take away an option and pre-existing game style from a player base altogether.

Digging zombies was actually the pre-existing game style that was removed and is now restored. So I wouldn't use this argument. As for options I agree that once the game is out of development and the developers start adding options to the game that this one would be a no brainer. I hope they put one in for you and others who don't like the return of digging zombies.

Digging zombies was actually the pre-existing game style that was removed and is now restored. So I wouldn't use this argument. As for options I agree that once the game is out of development and the developers start adding options to the game that this one would be a no brainer. I hope they put one in for you and others who don't like the return of digging zombies.

Well... if you have their ear Roland perhaps you could put in a word in on our behalf?

Some people want to mod out Digging.

[Not me. I FREAKING LOVE IT!!! But others do.]

If there could be an XML edit for us to adjust and remove the behaviour it would, I'm sure, alleviate some of the frustration a few players are feeling.

Better yet, tie Digging to difficulty level.

[Always felt there should be more difficulty levels in the game.]

Maybe even an option to turn digging off in the menu?

I know that's a lot to ask but you never get anything unless you make an attempt right?

^_^"

Yeah agree you have to ask the question and give the feedback.

I guess I wasnt around for when they used to dig so for me and a group of friends thats a play style we have developed over a long period and really enjoyed.

Cheers.

Only Blood Moon zombies would detect you deep underground. If you turn that off, then what is the fortress protecting you from?

Really? Only the blood moon z's detect you deep?

Well... if you have their ear Roland perhaps you could put in a word in on our behalf?

Some people want to mod out Digging.

[Not me. I FREAKING LOVE IT!!! But others do.]

If there could be an XML edit for us to adjust and remove the behaviour it would, I'm sure, alleviate some of the frustration a few players are feeling.

Better yet, tie Digging to difficulty level.

[Always felt there should be more difficulty levels in the game.]

Maybe even an option to turn digging off in the menu?

I know that's a lot to ask but you never get anything unless you make an attempt right?

^_^"

Tying digging ability (and sensory range underground) to difficulty would 100% be the ideal solution. I love being a tunnel rat but I don't like that on scavenger I'd have hordes burrowing 28m down (in seconds!) on hearing me through all that. On a much higher difficulty? Bring. It. Tie digging range (m), digging damage bonus, and who will dig (BM/BM+horde controlled/+ferals/All) to difficulty setting with scavenger being "no one digs unless you're within 5m" up to "the random mom will borrow through 220m of stone to get you while doing 350 block damage per swing" on Insane. This would probably make just about everyone (mostly) happy.

Yeah my heart sank too when I read that :(

Time to do some investigating.

Like I said, unless you wait until late game with perks and tools that help you dig fast enough you will find that most of the time you are detected by a wandering horde before you get deep enough and then it's cray cray time. I'd say that if someone can get a shaft to bedrock after going through the experience of being caught by a wandering horde they deserve to be safe 6 days out of 7 :)

Also for those that want exposure they can build a bunker in detection range and defend it. At least we have that option now.

This is the sort of stance Blizzard at their recent Con. "Don't you have phones?"

Are you so blind to the possibility that a large chunk of gamers like the concept of making a safe haven, emerging from it, to challenge the zombies on the surface, then returning to their enclave to rest where it's safe? Is that really so hard to understand instead of making a very arrogant and dismissive remark such as "disable zombies".

This issue isn't a wrong or right. But, it is what it is, if the devs themselves come out right and say it in such a manner.

This is the sort of stance Blizzard at their recent Con. "Don't you have phones?"

Are you so blind to the possibility that a large chunk of gamers like the concept of making a safe haven, emerging from it, to challenge the zombies on the surface, then returning to their enclave to rest where it's safe? Is that really so hard to understand instead of making a very arrogant and dismissive remark such as "disable zombies".

This issue isn't a wrong or right. But, it is what it is, if the devs themselves come out right and say it in such a manner.

This

The arrogance is very real and off putting.

"Don't run it on a potato" is the equivalent of "don't you guys have phones?"

Like everyone got a few mil from a game that takes ages to make.

How many times must we upgrade to play a FIVE year old game?

The arrogance, it is the most annoying thing right now.

I told my neighbour, an avid gamer with all the consoles and all the games and a HUGE group of friends he plays games with about 7dtd. He bought it with a friend immediately on PS4. Guess what he's avoiding like the plague now?

Keep doing you, it's working...

If TFP doesn´t want to stop people from building underground than digging zombies are the wrong way. You can´t keep a underground base for longer if they dig towards it every 7 days. It´s gonna look like swiss cheese around your base soon.

This doesn´t make it impossible to have a underground base but basically forces you to move regulary. Wich is no fun at all.

There needs to be other ways.

If TFP doesn´t want to stop people from building underground than digging zombies are the wrong way. You can´t keep a underground base for longer if they dig towards it every 7 days. It´s gonna look like swiss cheese around your base soon.

This doesn´t make it impossible to have a underground base but basically forces you to move regulary. Wich is no fun at all.

Well, you can always fill in the holes with stuff after each night, but there is a lot of discussion on the forums about the difficulty vs. the expectation, and I suspect that the dev team and any project management will look into tuning. A good suggestion was made to tie the aggressiveness of the digging to the setting, but we'll see how they tune in the next few weeks. For b203/204/20x/whatever is next I would expect the behavior to be the same.

Tying digging ability (and sensory range underground) to difficulty would 100% be the ideal solution. I love being a tunnel rat but I don't like that on scavenger I'd have hordes burrowing 28m down (in seconds!) on hearing me through all that. On a much higher difficulty? Bring. It. Tie digging range (m), digging damage bonus, and who will dig (BM/BM+horde controlled/+ferals/All) to difficulty setting with scavenger being "no one digs unless you're within 5m" up to "the random mom will borrow through 220m of stone to get you while doing 350 block damage per swing" on Insane. This would probably make just about everyone (mostly) happy.

This seems like a decent compromise.

I love building underground as well (and not being safe while living there), but here are my experiences:

1)I dug a shaft to the bed rock in the middle of the town and stayed there for 2 weeks (high gamestage). BM horde didn't find me. Don't know if I encountered some kind of bug. Moved out to dig something less deep.

2)I dug a spiral staircase (aprox 5x5) leading underground, so I could give a clear path for the zombies to go down and add traps in the future to defend. Zombies ignored the corridor and dug their own vertical shaft aprox in the middle of the spiral center.

Hopefully other people can test these more, because I don't have the time to test them thoroughly atm and they don't seem to be intended. No1 from what Faatal is saying, shouldn't be happening and No2 doesn't allow people to defend against zombies that detect you while being underground.

Reminder: maggot block infestation would still be better than digging zombies :p

Reminder: maggot block infestation would still be better than digging zombies :p

Remind people who've never heard of maggot block please.

- - - Updated - - -

From another thread, thought I put this here as well. Because relevance.

I am split about the digging. I would wish there was a way to create a safe haven so that players who wish to focus their gameplay on other things than brutal confrontation and constant base repair (maybe the latter not as prevalent as in the previous versions) could also have their own play style. A possibility could be to use the old "Feral" game setting to mean that there will be a constant onslaught of zombies that also dig (kind of like in a17), and without that setting you have more of an a16 approach. Everybody could be happy that way. It worked well with the run/walk settings and everybody found their own home server to play on according to their personal preference and choice.

Another way of letting diggers get their hole and keep it, but still have them challenged would be to invent new ways of repelling the enemy. These aren't real scenarios I see as necessarily viable ideas but they offer a glimpse into the possibilities of adding challenges beyond the simple premise of either having zombie digging on or off. One way would be to have resource hungry and fuel dependent "shaker" machines (or which ever mysterious technical innovation) which would need to be build and constantly fed in order to "throw off" the zombies' senses so they don't dig where you are. Another would be to disallow digging but to make it very costly for a player to actually dig very deep. Meaning a player might have to install hard to build air pumps (which burn fuel), install air pipes (using the existing power cable mechanic), and keep those constantly running. If those pumps stop or get destroyed by zombies (which might or might not react to them or try to seek them out) a slow drowning effect might set in, of course with its own appropriate graphic. These are just ways to expand existing a16 gameplay mechanics without breaking a16 but without giving the player anything for free. It would just be another optional way of doing things and would expand the 7DTD world so to speak.

Oh you don't need Zombies pock marks to reveal your location. Terrain clipping is back bigger than ever and you can shoot people in this position without them hitting you. It is A12 all over again, wouldn't even touch PvP unless this is fixed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25723[/ATTACH]

1614704217_7d2dclip.thumb.jpg.3edf8eff20897ebc3f30fe4b0f76d9dc.jpg

Remind people who've never heard of maggot block please.

Ah, it's nothing, just a suggestion of mine for a dynamic environmental underground danger (with or without enemy entities), for a different underground experience, that doesn't involve zombies. In practice it might or might not be an actually good suggestion.

There is a real easy other way, just have a seperate above ground base for horde nights, sorted! Or just go on the run on a horde night.

There is a real easy other way, just have a seperate above ground base for horde nights, sorted! Or just go on the run on a horde night.

pApA^LeGBa is correct. Always wanted an underground threat but I did want the threat to allow underground living, in case one chooses to live underground exclusively.

From my experience zombies don't follow clear paths downwards and prefer to dig. If that wasn't the case, one could make killing corridors underground even if every zombie in the game detected him he would be able to effectively defend. Atm they seem to ignore clear paths to the player and just dig vertical paths when the player is underground, which they should do ONLY if there are no paths. Needs more testing.

TFP *hate* bedrock dwelling scum. No chance they are goingto remove it.

Remember this is A17. They have removed all CHOICE from the players. There is only one way to play the game successfully now. Play it that way or don't play at all.

Example: I despise building full-scale mines. But in A16, I am now forced to because the yield from surface boulders (and the occurrence of said boulders) has been nerfed to the ground.

TFP *hate* bedrock dwelling scum. No chance they are goingto remove it.

The Hardcore fansbase *hates* bedrock dwelling scum.

TFP never spoke about this and only mentioned they want the grounders to be more challenged by zombies.

I think they will nerf the damage they do though.

I do like the new diggers though..

Not outside but in PoI they gave me a jumpscare already when they dropped down the ceiling from the second floor.

faatal,

I really do hope TFP reconsider, perhaps as Roland said in the following post, some time in Gold. Of the five friends I have who play this game, three of them a real molerats, and while I haven't had a chance to speak to them about A17 yet, I'm rather suspecting they're in for a rude and likely unwelcome surprise.

I definitely don't think invulnerable underground bases should be a part of the default game - the implications for PVP alone are probably too costly for that - and even a menu option may be over doing it, but an easy XML-way of disabling digging zombies seems like a good "player choice" thing.

Archived