Very bad Random Gen

custom_hero

It is "practically" one biome, because snow and desert are small strips on the worlds edge and burnt and wasteland are just little sprinkles. That makes it practically 1 biome, because while in theory there are 5, it feels and plays like only 1.

My map certainly generated with large amounts of all the usual biomes present - admittedly, it's heavily dominated by a desert to the south the seems to be the WHOLE south, but there's burnt forest, forest etc present also (quite a large forest section).

It's definitely not perfect, so hopefully it can be improved upon as TFP moves to 17.0, and I'll be watching keenly what the ModGods (for example Tin) come up with also when I wipe my game for stable.

My map certainly generated with large amounts of all the usual biomes present - admittedly, it's heavily dominated by a desert to the south the seems to be the WHOLE south, but there's burnt forest, forest etc present also (quite a large forest section).

It's definitely not perfect, so hopefully it can be improved upon as TFP moves to 17.0, and I'll be watching keenly what the ModGods (for example Tin) come up with also when I wipe my game for stable.

Here are all the maps I have generated so far:

https://imgur.com/a/GwMdpz4

And you will settle in the forest and stay there for long, because you can't survive in the desert or the snow (in early game), and you don't have a reason to go there anyway.

I am NOT a fan of the way the new maps generate. Snow on top Forest/burned then dessert on the bottom .. boring. ALSO every town has a LARGE number of buildings that remind me of wasteland buildings / destroyed. I haven't found any skyscrapers or other really unique buildings yet. Almost every poi is either a tiny house or a new survivor camp. What happened to all the new buildings and POIs? and why.. why do we have forest with patches of burned all through it?? I guess I will play Nazgane for now I sure do miss A16 map gen.

I am NOT a fan of the way the new maps generate. Snow on top Forest/burned then dessert on the bottom .. boring. ALSO every town has a LARGE number of buildings that remind me of wasteland buildings / destroyed. I haven't found any skyscrapers or other really unique buildings yet. Almost every poi is either a tiny house or a new survivor camp. What happened to all the new buildings and POIs? and why.. why do we have forest with patches of burned all through it?? I guess I will play Nazgane for now I sure do miss A16 map gen.

There's a known issue preventing downtown zones (skyscrapers included) from spawning. It'll be fixed soon hopefully. (Of course, you'll need to restart to benefit from the fix though).

That's intended btw. It makes sense the wastelands (destroyed cities) would have burnt forests (from the fires) around them.

I'd increase the wasteland count though.

But we loose the "going to the wasteland" or "now I have to go through the burnt forest/desert/snow biome" feeling. Burnt and wasteland have no impact at all and as I said, there is no reason to go to desert and snow biome. And the variety that the other biomes brought, the maple forest and the grassland is gone too. Not to mention the additional biomes that you could mod into rwg.

Not liking it at all, every game will feel the same, biome-wise.

And you will settle in the forest and stay there for long, because you can't survive in the desert or the snow (in early game), and you don't have a reason to go there anyway.

Yeah, look, I'll definitely not stand here and say it's perfect... hehe. It's got some work to go on it, that's for sure, and hopefully prior to A17.0 being released we get a much better RWG.

Yeah, look, I'll definitely not stand here and say it's perfect... hehe. It's got some work to go on it, that's for sure, and hopefully prior to A17.0 being released we get a much better RWG.
I share that hope. Is there any known reason why the biomes were reduced? Variety, as I said just this morning, is the spice of life. Seems weird to remove those biomes.

Overall, btw, cuz I haven't mentioned it, I do like A17. So unfortunate that the flaws seem to be intentional design decisions, like the perk system and how the player is being crippled in all kinds of ways (i.e. no sprinting backwards and movement penalties for pretty much everything).

There's a known issue preventing downtown zones (skyscrapers included) from spawning. It'll be fixed soon hopefully. (Of course, you'll need to restart to benefit from the fix though).

What about the issue of the biomes being basically the same no matter what seed is chosen? Are they planning on changing that or are we stuck with this uninteresting landscape? I see no reason to go exploring if I know what to expect. I would like to see the biomes change depending on the elevation .. not just a map wide snow at the top, forest in the middle etc... mountians with snow, lower areas with forrest going down into the dessert. Oh wait they did that, and I really like it.

What about the issue of the biomes being basically the same no matter what seed is chosen? Are they planning on changing that or are we stuck with this uninteresting landscape? I see no reason to go exploring if I know what to expect. I would like to see the biomes change depending on the elevation .. not just a map wide snow at the top, forest in the middle etc... mountians with snow, lower areas with forrest going down into the dessert. Oh wait they did that, and I really like it.

RIP interesting maps A16.4

Guppy thanks for taking time to do a video but can I suggest for the next one you do to slow down just a little lol. Love ya man but I'm no modder and was really confused on what you was saying because it was so fast. I have no issue in learning something new but I need something I can understand and takes time to go through it. Over all the video was good though and appreciate it and the time you took to make it.

I could be wrong but didn't MM say they took those biomes out for shaders/better lighting/performance or something? Now I was unaware that all maps would generate the way they are but for smaller maps and doing the patches of biomes I will take for more results in other things but I hope it does get more work done to it to make each rwg map feel a little different. Besides the known issues that are certain.

Having the option to paint a map for random gen is *nice* but that is NOT random gen. People generally don't want to have to hand paint a map to get interesting maps again. This is a bug, period. No reason to sugar coat it and act like this is fine as a permanent game mechanic.

That being said this is still an experimental build and the devs did say the RWG was the last thing they worked on before release so they probably released it knowing they were going to have to come back to fix this. The problem is only if they leave it this way.

Obviously something wrong is going on with RWG as shown by Kubikus album and I can't imagine that they won't fix it.

I think the next time I start over I will use navzgane. This is sad, bc before a17 I would have never even bothered with it, random was just so cool. Now it looks like the same map all the time, which ofc is worse than a handmade map.

They went the realist map route instead of the cool map.

I think the next time I start over I will use navzgane. This is sad, bc before a17 I would have never even bothered with it, random was just so cool. Now it looks like the same map all the time, which ofc is worse than a handmade map.

They went the realist map route instead of the cool map.

Im just hoping there will be an RWG mod after stable thats somewhat closer to A16 maps. Easily the worst thing about A17 are these new random maps.

My take on new random gen:

The biomes and their distribution is getting stale fast. I can't see how it's random anymore if you know it's "Desert south, snow north, forest middle.". I do like the idea of some bit of realism in terms of what biome borders another and having realistic "climate zones" of sorts, but why always the same layout? It's just washed out Navezgane minus a proper burnt forest and wasteland...

Burned forest only appearing in small dotted about patches doesn't work for me, that's essentially another proper biome gone from the pool now. In case of wasteland I'm somewhat okay with it, I guess. But not because I don't want a wasteland biome, just for optical reasons, as huge rolling hills of industrial rubble were always a bit weird. A new wasteland biome (with the resources and dangers of the original wasteland) could maybe be a mix of the rubble ground, and the old plains ground...?

Also not a huge fan of the bumpy terrain everywhere, but there's enough flat lands inbetween to compensate and find spots to build on.

What I DO like very much is the new road and town layouts. No road leading into nowhere so far and no seemingly pointless long gravel paths that just lead to a small campsite in the middle of nowhere. Different road sizes are cool, maybe the diagonal roads are a bit overdone, but those narrow streets in towns and the little rural "villages" (bundles of typical wilderness POI like cabins and such) are awesome. Only missing real highways now :] (and train tracks? Let me dream dammit!)

I'd love to see this combined with true cities (#bringbackhubcity!) that have the classic grid layout and there would be some real good variety.

Having the option to paint a map for random gen is *nice* but that is NOT random gen. People generally don't want to have to hand paint a map to get interesting maps again. This is a bug, period. No reason to sugar coat it and act like this is fine as a permanent game mechanic.

That being said this is still an experimental build and the devs did say the RWG was the last thing they worked on before release so they probably released it knowing they were going to have to come back to fix this. The problem is only if they leave it this way.

But we have both. Rwg creates the paintable worlds.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, not sure how this isnt blatently obvious to everyone.

Because it's intended.

- - - Updated - - -

Tin has a mixer file for A17? Where? I searched but did not find it, did he post it here?

He hasn't released it yet. Looks fantastic though.

Rest assured RWG will get back to it's previous glory. I own most of the gameplay systems so I've had to give that more attention. Don't worry, it'll get to a much better spot once I can get around to it. It's not a matter of ability it's a matter of time, try not to get those two things confused guys. :)

You're only talking about the biomes. Which is intended (and I like).

- - - Updated - - -

Rest assured RWG will get back to it's previous glory. I own most of the gameplay systems so I've had to give that more attention. Don't worry, it'll get to a much better spot once I can get around to it. It's not a matter of ability it's a matter of time, try not to get those two things confused guys. :)

Welcome back.

YES! Thank you!!! Any chance for A17 stable or are we talking A18?

Archived